CRIME AND THE CITY.... crime as a dynamic element...

+
I absolutely adore this idea. One because it just feels like Night City. A living, breathing, criminal's paradise in an open world.

I would love to see countless unique random encounters where I can help the criminals instead of the law. I loved how in Red Dead Redemption, I could opt to shoot the law enforcers instead of killing the escaped convicts.

Seeing this will really bring the city to life.

Everyone should be killable.... EVERYONE....

Not saying peds and gangs and cops shouldn't randomly and endlessly spawn, but man I hate it when someone gives me lip and I can't just beat the snot out of them in a video game...

Not saying peds and gangs and cops shouldn't randomly and endlessly spawn, but man I hate it when someone gives me lip and I can't just beat the snot out of them in a video game...

And these actions will need consequences, obviously.

And these actions will need consequences, obviously.

Like:

- go to jail whenever we hurt someone.

- create a legal system in the game to dole out the appropriate justice... or

- If we hurt someone and evade the cops, an APB goes out and we spend the rest of the game on the run.

Yeah, being able to kill anyone usually means we have the accountability of a game like Oblivion, where everyone forgets our crime in about five minutes so we can continue to play. Or worse yet, there's a morality system in place. I'm not saying we shouldn't be able to kill anyone we come across but it raises serious game design/writing quandries and it trivializes violence. How am I supposed to take a death seriously when I can mow down 20 pedestrians in my car on the way to the next mission...

Except maybe killing them means they won't be able to offer you missions, jobs, merchant services, etc...

As our intrepid band of punks attend Swag jacket Guys memorial service, a note is passed to them from Swaggy's lawyer...

"Hi guys. If you are reading this, then I am dead. But, I have a job for you..."

Like:

- go to jail whenever we hurt someone.

- create a legal system in the game to dole out the appropriate justice... or

- If we hurt someone and evade the cops, an APB goes out and we spend the rest of the game on the run.

Yeah, being able to kill anyone usually means we have the accountability of a game like Oblivion, where everyone forgets our crime in about five minutes so we can continue to play. Or worse yet, there's a morality system in place. I'm not saying we shouldn't be able to kill anyone we come across but it raises serious game design/writing quandries and it trivializes violence. How am I supposed to take a death seriously when I can mow down 20 pedestrians in my car on the way to the next mission...

Well... it's cyberpunk.... life IS cheap, violence IS trivial...

As our intrepid band of punks attend Swag jacket Guys memorial service, a note is passed to them from Swaggy's lawyer...

"Hi guys. If you are reading this, then I am dead. But, I have a job for you..."

ooooooooooooooooooo

Well I'm against spawning. When I clear area I don't wanna see the same guys there when I return later. I can get behind random spawning if it happens slowly, meaning when if I kill 10 guys then 1or 2 spawn in some other area.

Two Worlds actually had rather brilliant system where the animals migrated from area to area. So you could have killed species to extinction but you couldn't have done it systematically clearing area after area. But what would be the upper limit for let's say cops before they stop spawning in Night City? Millions? :p

How am I supposed to take a death seriously when I can mow down 20 pedestrians in my car on the way to the next mission...
Hated this in Sleeping Dogs. Cars exploding, long firefights with rocket launchers and no sign of SWAT and no one ever mentioned the property damage and casulties you were causing...

Well... it's cyberpunk.... life IS cheap, violence IS trivial...

I would like the video game to adapt the PnP game as closely as possible. If this is true in the PnP game, then the game should show similar themes as well.

But I do imagine there are consequences for misbehaving in CP2020 as well.

I would like the video game to adapt the PnP game as closely as possible. If this is true in the PnP game, then the game should show similar themes as well.

But I do imagine there are consequences for misbehaving in CP2020 as well.

In the corporate zone, Corporate security, the regular cops, and C-SWAT all come to beat your ass...

In other areas of town, the cops show up, C-SWAT or Swat if you get unruly enough...

In the Combat zone, the cops don't show up, shoot a banger and his boys come after you though. but be careful who you are fucking with or every gun on the street turns towards you, because everyone in the zone is pretty much armed at all timess... So while they will pretty much ignore you if you get in a fight, if you start going after civilians, or they feel threatened, well buddy boy, all those civilians just pulled guns and are aiming at you.... the troublemaker... Some of them will even stop shooting up and raping each other just to join in the fun of shooting the outsider.

Same as in the wastelands and the nomad areas...

I think this topic could use some more discussion:

Time for the UCJC - The Uniform Civilian Justice Code

- Assault & Battery: Any unprovoked attack on another person. Punishable by personality adjustment or 2 to 8 months in jail.

- Assault with Deadly Force: As with Assault. 2 to 7 years in jail, manditory braindance.

- Burglary: Entering private property with intent to steal. Punishment: Exile, prison 2 to 8 years or braindance.

- Conspiracy: the crime of conspiring to commit a felony. Subject to Exile, prison 2 to 8 years or braindance.

- Counterfeiting & Forgery: the crime of creating false coinage, money, or documents with intent to defraud. Punishment: 6 to 15 years in prison.

- Extortion or Blackmail: the crime of obtaining something from another through threat of injury. Punishment: 6 to 15 years in prison.

- Homicide (1st Degree): Premdiated murder, or murder while in the commision of a felony. Punishment is death.

- Homicide (2nd Degree): Accidental murder, or murder without premeditation. Punishment: Prison for 11 to 20 years, braindance, personality alteration.

- Homicide (justifiable): Self defense, preventing the commission of a felony. No punishment.

- Kidnapping or False Imprisonment: To hold another against his will. Punishment: Prison for 11 to 20 years, braindance, personality alteration.

- Larceny, Theft or Robbery: The theft of another's property, either through force, threat, or embezzlement. Punishment: varies by severity of act from exile, to prison for 11 to 20 years, braindance, personality alteration.

- Malicious Mischief, Vandalism: the wanton destruction of another's property. Punishment: Exile, jail for 1 to 6 months.

- Rape: Forcing another to have sex by use of threat or force. Punishment: Prison for 6 to 15 years., braindance, personality alteration.

- Resisting Arrest/Obstructing an Officer: Attempting to escae legal arrest by a police officer or preventing an officer from carrying out his legal duties. Punishment: Exile, braindance, jail for 2 to 7 weeks

- Riot of Unlawful Assembly: A gathering with the purpose for destroying property, inciting violence, etc,.. Punishment: exile, jail for 2 to 7 days.

- Trespassing: Entering private property of another. Jail for 1 to 6 days.

Legal Background

The police of the 2000's are organized much as they were during the 20th century with Homicide, Vice, Burglary and Traffic Squards; about 5 men each. The most recent addtion to police organization has been the addition of the Bladerunners and the Cyberpsycho Squad ( also known as the Psycho Squad), whose main job is to deal with cybernetic criminals, the former dealing with the synthetic lifeforms know as Replicants (artificial humans). While the average beat cop hits the Street in an armored squad car, wearing an armor jacket, helmet and carrying a smart-chipped Beretta sidearm, the Bladerunners and Psycho Squad detail employs aerogyros, AV-4's,miniguns, assault weapons and Stinger missle launchers.

City cops can patrol all areas of the city, Corporate Cops are deputized to patrol only corporate facilities. However, in areas where a large number of office areas are side by side, this effectively can trun an entire downtown region into Corporate Cop territory. Corporate Cops are usually better armed and armored, and often have full Trauma Team medical coverage. They are also more vicious, sadistic and likely to shoot first - after all, they know the Corporation can cover the incident up.

The Uniform Civilian Justice Code

Skyrocketing crime rates in the 1990's proved that the existing legal structure was falling apart. Following the Purge of 1996 (when citizen's groups lynched hundreds of criminal defense lawyers), the Government declared martial law throughout the U.S. for a period of three years. During this time, justice was dispensed by local military courts. The amazing this is, it worked. A deatth penalty for looting brings a womderful element of stability to a rioting neighborhood.

During this period, the Military Justice Code was the main rule of U.S. law. Its draconian standards of crime and punishment served so well that when martial law was suspended in 1999, the Government established a Uniform Civilian Justice Code in its place. Although the law is now administered by civilian governments, the Code is the guideline for all criminal procedure in the United States of the Dark Future.

Plea bargaining (pleading guilty to a lesser charge to speed up a trial) has been eliminated. Probation is almost unheard of. The death penalty is standard for murder cases - there is a 3 month appeal process during which new evidence can be produced. Most felonies have mandatroy prison terms of 5 to 10 years. Lesser crimes are covered by exile or personality adjustment.

Self defense is defined as "any instance in which the assailant can show just cause that his/her life or the life of another party was threatened, in circumstances where a duly appointed officers of the law could not be summoned, or where it was impossible to restrain the injured party by any other means.

Theoretically, narcotics may not be possessed within the premises of the United States. However bioengineered plant diseases developed through the 1990's by the Drug Enfrocement Agency wiped out 96% of the coca and opium plants in existence, making the point moot. The law also does not cover "designer drugs" such as endorphins, which are defined as medicinal.

Crime & Punishment

The punishment for criminal actions under the Uniform Justice Code of 1999 are swift, certain and draconian. The simplest is personality adjustment - a process which implants an aversion to committing the crime ever again. Adjustment has some nasty side effects, including exaggerated fears of situations and events related to the crime (such as a terror of money based on an anti-robbery adjustment).

Exile implants are keyed to a transmission signal broadcast thru the city phone Net. If the offender enters the city, the implant causes excruciating pain. The offender is efectively exiled from ever entering the specific city again. Repeat offenses in other cities simply cause additional city codes to be added to the implant. After enough crimes in enough cities, the offender will be unable to enter civilization again.

Prisons of the 2000's are horrendously overcrowded and deadly. After the riots of the 90s, prison authorities couldnt care less about rehabilitation - they are mostly interested in penning up society's "mad dogs" and keeping the streets clear. To cope with overcrowding, many prisons force inmates into "braindance" - they are placed in cyro tanks, wired to interface loop programs, and "shut down" for periods of two or three years. Continuous braindance creates a nightmare of unending , bland horror. making it the thing cons fear most.

The simplest method of punishment is still execution. Most states have a State Executioner who administers justice with one well placed .44 slug at point blank range. He is also empowered to hunt down escapees from Death Row.

Weapon Laws

By 1997, even the most well-intentioned gun control states were buried under a wave of public protest as crime rates made America a siege state. Self-defense soon became an American lifestyle, and there was an explosive increase in light personal protection weapons.

By 1999. most gun control statutes involved 1) filling out a "carry applicatoin" allowing you to carry a concealed handgun; 2) waiting 4 days for an extensive background check and approval, which could be refuse on the basis of a criminal record or history of mental illness; amd 3) paying the $25.00 fee and having a serial number laser etched into the butt of the gun. This number is cataloged with the ballistics firing pattrn of your weapons at FBI/CIA Headquarters in Washington D.C.

The Federal Weapons Statute of 1999 states that if a gun with your ID number is used in the commission of a crime, you are liable for that crime, unless you have previously reported the weapon as lost or stolen, and have had this report filed with your local police agency.

Under the provisions of the Federal Weapons Statute, it is not legal to carry submachineguns and other fully automatic weapons - possession carries a stiff 5 to 7 years mandatory prison sentence. Not that this stop anyone.

While there's a certain style in using an old model sidearm like a Colt .357 or .45, the sensible cyberpunk knows that a modern pistol makes a good backup. Sine the introduction of the Glock 17 automatic in mid-1980's. most major handgun manufacturers now produce polymer resin pistols in a variety of calibers.

The most ubiquitous of these is the Federated Arms X-22 and X-9 series, a line of polymer plastic handguns. Manufactured in a variety of bright designer colors, these so-called "Polymer On-shots" carry an easy to load 10 or 8 round clips of caseless ammunition, retail at $150 to $300, and are available in most sporting goods stores. They combine practicality, durability and style in potent little packages. The new Cyberteen line includes airbrushed castings with colorful shapes and artwork molded right in - the perfect gift for the young consumer interested in personal defense.

Top Bottom