Was last gen a mistake?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's difficult because they want to make the game as good as possible, without watering it down to run on last gen, yet they know sales will be high on last gen.

Nope, it can't possibly be a mistake to have released on whatever gen gen you want to call it, it's the best game I've seen and played on my base bog-standard old PS4. If releasing it was a mistake I look forward to future CDPR mistakes, keep 'em coming devs!

I can sit here now and switch my console between a few different modes including performance 60 to 120 fps, resolution 720, 1080, 1440 an 4k it just upto the game if it supports it, do i have the ingame options a pc player has? No an i doubt i ever will

Im failing still to understand how BC is to blame here, CP was not made for Series X, it was made for Xbox one and P4, yes Series X plays it better just like a good PC may play it better with higher settings but how is BC at fault with how bad it runs on the systems it was announced for? If anything it should be working and playing great and i should be sweating eagerness out every pore waiting on the actual next gen version.

Its like CDPR announcing the recommended specs for CP on PC an it turns out they recommended specs aint even minimum specs then blaming the person who has the recommended specs for the game running shite

MS and Sony force no 3rd party devs to release anything its upto the 3rd party publishers where they publish noone else and as you seen with Sony ripping CP of there store its no guaranteed to stay there either
you sure sony and ms dont then why is there no games made solely for ps5 and xbox series x ?
did they know scalpers were going to buy all them up do they expect everyone not even try to invest in the next gens not sure whos to blame here but remove the game from the previous gen consoles and you would have a better release not sure how you cant see that..
if the previous gen game works well on ps5 and series x and crap on previous gen consoles its a no brainer!!!
ive got it on both ps5 and pc now and there is a massive difference between changing the resolution on your console than changing it in game because the ps5 version so im assuming the xbone series x in game settings will be so basic like the ps5 for obvious reasons!!
it has grain settings and hdr 10 toggle thats it ..
consoles are a different beast you cant make a game for the latest gen and expect it to run on a previous gen properly ..
so my point still stands either they should have said NO previous gen consoles which players would have cried foul "why cant i play it on my last gen console" or make the game nerfed as crap to cater to previous gen players which would have annoyed the next gen players !!
they took the middle ground and it was always going to burn them.. remove the previous gen console problem solved!!!
there is also a game spot interview with a dev from remedy games the ppl who made control about the challenges facing making cross gen games

Last edited:
you sure sony and ms dont then why is there no games made solely for ps5 and xbox series x ?
did they know scalpers were going to buy all them up do they expect everyone not even try to invest in the next gens not sure whos to blame here but remove the game from the previous gen consoles and you would have a better release not sure how you cant see that..
if the previous gen game works well on ps5 and series x and crap on previous gen consoles its a no brainer!!!
ive got it on both ps5 and pc now and there is a massive difference between changing the resolution on your console than changing it in game because the ps5 version so im assuming the xbone series x in game settings will be so basic like the ps5 for obvious reasons!!
consoles are a different beast you cant make a game for the latest gen and expect it to run on a previous gen properly ..
so my point still stands either they should have said NO previous gen consoles which players would have cried foul "why cant i play it on my last gen console" or make the game nerfed as crap to cater to previous gen players which would have annoyed the next gen players !!
they took the middle ground and it was always going to burn them.. remove the previous gen console problem solved!!!
there is also a game spot interview with a dev from remedy games the ppl who made control about the challenges facing making cross gen games
You are still not answering my question. How is Backwards compatibility to blame for the mess on xbox one and PlayStation 4 when neither of them plays a Backwards compatibility version of the game.

All i hear from you is distinctly veiled pc mustered race this an that, damn console peasants it all there fault.

Again answer the question

Why should Sony an MS release exclusive next gen titles when the VAST MAJORITY are still on last gen?

Why should Sony an MS release exclusive next gen titles when the VAST MAJORITY are still on last gen

You are answering your question yourself.
Normally exclusive next gen titles are an incentive to buy the new console, to try and force the VAST MAJORITY to switch to next gen ASAP.
However in these crazy times we live the demand actually surpasses the availability.

In the context of this thread: compatibility with outdated last gen hardware took valuable developer time and resources which could have been spent in releasing a better game at release date.
They failed to provide an acceptable quality game for the last gen.
Thus its a double fail:
1) Poor quality release on last gen, removal from sony store, huge backlash and criticism.
2) Unpolished, unfinished game overall which could have been so much better.

My opinion on this is quite simple:
They should've either delayed the game for six months/year or focus on PC and next gen and release for last gen later.
However managers' and investors' greed prevented them from considering such options and so here we are looking at a game with tons and tons of wasted potential and hoping that they will be able to realize all that potential before most of the people simply forget about SilverHand 2077.

You are still not answering my question. How is Backwards compatibility to blame for the mess on xbox one and PlayStation 4 when neither of them plays a Backwards compatibility version of the game.

All i hear from you is distinctly veiled pc mustered race this an that, damn console peasants it all there fault.

Again answer the question

Why should Sony an MS release exclusive next gen titles when the VAST MAJORITY are still on last gen?

Normally exclusive next gen titles are an incentive to buy the new console, to try and force the VAST MAJORITY to switch to next gen ASAP.
However in these crazy times we live the demand actually surpasses the availability.

In the context of this thread: compatibility with outdated last gen hardware took valuable developer time and resources which could have been spent in releasing a better game at release date.
Thus its a double fail:
1) Poor quality release on last gen, removal from sony store, huge backlash and criticism.

They should've either delayed the game for six months/year or focus on PC and next gen and release for last gen later.
However managers' and investors' greed prevented them from considering such options and so here we are looking at a game with tons and tons of wasted potential and hoping that they will be able to realize all that potential before most of the people simply forget about SilverHand 2077.
Hi, why do say than : ... "
the demand actually surpasses the availability.
"and later ..."
compatibility with outdated last gen hardware took valuable developer time and resources
" ?
I don t know if demand actually surpasses the availiability.Demand and avaliability make the price in a capitalist society grounded on envy and pleasure to satisfy. But if there nothing to sell ,Reason go back and people keep what they have ,take care of it and cherrish it .
I ve seen rumors on the net about the lack of electronic s component production for the 9 generations of consoles and clients ,and ear about some market process about artificially create demand by limit the avaliability(programmed obsolescence).
8 gen hardware is not outdated,i don t know if emulation need so much work than u seem to think. There s no 9 generation game on the new console to buy,only some game optimise for.And not enought clients to take money from . Devellopers who work for the 8 generation know its limit,how to program on its console ,and mastered the hardware ,so why would they want to get difficulty to learn new hardware programming and coding ?why would they take risk to loose their jobs ?As few know how to program on 9 generation,how much they ll ask for increase of salary and software cost as it give them more works and knowledge ??

Thus its a double fail:

I am not arguing the fact if last gen was a mistake or not i am asking why he thinks it is Backwards Compatibility fault, BC does not come into play with how this game runs on Xbox one or Playstation 4, BC is the version Series X and P5 play, the game AS IS is supposed to be the xbox one and PlayStation 4 version with the next gen version available in the future, IF BC was a problem it would be a problem for Series X and P5 not Xbox one and PlayStation 4.

The removal from the PS store was absolutely ZERO to do with how this game launched and EVERYTHING to do with CDPR telling ppl they could get refunds and sony hated that, there is buggier and worse on the PS store, im no saying the game had a great launch (the only ones that will are those making the money) but again regardless if last gen was a mistake, regardless if it needed more time and regardless of lack of next fen titles why is Backwards compatibility at fault for how this game runs on last gen? Thats all i want to know

I wonder how much getting CP to run suitably on last gen hardware is not only a futile effort, but doubly causing real harm to the potential of CP truly becoming that masterpiece we all hope it will be. This patch will be telling.
they planned all along that it would be the pinnacle experience of last gen. it wasnt planned to be a next gen title, that was the last ditch effort. pushing it to next gen was due to the intense delays

they planned all along that it would be the pinnacle experience of last gen. it wasnt planned to be a next gen title, that was the last ditch effort. pushing it to next gen was due to the intense delays
Hi ,maybe to entraperceve what they could have planned a long time ,in a galaxy not for far from our one ,u should take a look at theses :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_industry,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_publisher...
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/37558/patch-1-2-development-update ...
Could be a good start, if wikipedia sources are truth ,or need more research ... Or if u had some official link of what they planned?
Maybe next gen was a mistake,loot< better when birthday will come at 12X21 to celebrate release ,what declarations are woth ,what constitution u get as a game maDe to play on PC and consoles on a marketplace from

Last edited:
Or, and here's a thought, that they wanted to give the many, many, many people with last gen machines, still half their audience, a chance to try the game. Note - glitchy though it may be, there are many reports of playable experiences on last gen.

Had they not offered it, 2 things would have happened: 1. "CDPR is breaking promises! Liars!" 2. "Just let us decide for ourselves! I can't afford/find a PS5 anyway!"

There is no win here, other than a delay for everyone, which would have -also- led to the above two accusations/demands.

I guess your point assumes no difference between a paying customer aka $60 for a middle finger or a forum troll.

I pity game designers now days tbh... Since you have to deal with:

nvidia- " Here is some $ to jump on RTX wagon and make it look like a pale dog-poo without it" ( because who cares about making a new engine and ACTUAL user experience)
Intel - " Make sure to add AVX code " ( because we haven't made any breakthrough for over a decade in CPUs. So you have to jump on our planed obsolescence wagon )

and the list goes on...

But I get your point... Liar with a $60 in the pocket is much better philanthropic experience vs a "Liar" with ZERO documented legal obligations and court cases to attend.

You make what is, in the end, maybe the most cogent point. PS4 and Xbone are still the current gen for the vast, vast majority of users.
I Agree. I was hoping that the chip crisis wouldn't be so impactful so I always thought the "next gen" will be the "current gen" very soon, and I decided to call PS5 the current gen. Turns out that is not the case, so these are the terms that I prefer for now:

speaking about the present:
old gen - current gen - new gen
speaking about a moment in the future / announcements:
last gen - next gen

"last gen" means: Something (like Cyberpunk 2077) has been announced for "next gen" and both (the thing that has been announced and the "next gen" aren't available yet, so the "last gen" in reality still is the current gen". Again, it's about a moment in the future.
When "next gen" actually has been arrived, and is on its way to become the current gen, the term "new gen" wold be more accurate.

I Agree. I was hoping that the chip crisis wouldn't be so impactful so I always thought the "next gen" will be the "current gen" very soon, and I decided to call PS5 the current gen. Turns out that is not the case, so these are the terms that I prefer for now:

speaking about the present:
old gen - current gen - new gen
speaking about a moment in the future / announcements:
last gen - next gen

"last gen" means: Something (like Cyberpunk 2077) has been announced for "next gen" and both (the thing that has been announced and the "next gen" aren't available yet, so the "last gen" in reality still is the current gen". Again, it's about a moment in the future.
When "next gen" actually has been arrived, and is on its way to become the current gen, the term "new gen" wold be more accurate.
Maybe ... With backward compatibilty from xbox serie ,and ps5 ? They can publish n product for both gen.no risk. There re still 170 millions of 8 gen owner , it will depend 9 gen console sold at first 10 million now maybe, how much console (and tv)they can produce for nxt christmas sale ,if people could be interested anymore after scandale last sales,and what kind of game they ll make for 9 gen and with wich quality ? Could take many years ,it could depend also from multiplayers game and advantage given to 9 gen consumers to push transition if people say nothing or distributor ear nothing.
Sorry to feed ,i was nearby

I am not arguing the fact if last gen was a mistake or not i am asking why he thinks it is Backwards Compatibility fault, BC does not come into play with how this game runs on Xbox one or Playstation 4, BC is the version Series X and P5 play, the game AS IS is supposed to be the xbox one and PlayStation 4 version with the next gen version available in the future, IF BC was a problem it would be a problem for Series X and P5 not Xbox one and PlayStation 4.

The removal from the PS store was absolutely ZERO to do with how this game launched and EVERYTHING to do with CDPR telling ppl they could get refunds and sony hated that, there is buggier and worse on the PS store, im no saying the game had a great launch (the only ones that will are those making the money) but again regardless if last gen was a mistake, regardless if it needed more time and regardless of lack of next fen titles why is Backwards compatibility at fault for how this game runs on last gen? Thats all i want to know
honestly this argument is going around in circles .. i keep telling you but you dont seem to read it and want to keep at it so i guess for the sake of it
ill explain one last time..

theres difference in hardware between ps4 , ps4 pro and ps5 right ? different hardware between xbox one, one x and series x right ?

in fairness do you not get that they are trying to create a 2020 2021 game with the ps4 and the xbox one which are dinosaurs now 2013 was the first ps4 and xbox one !

go play black desert online on consoles which is a massively nerfed pc port with a og ps4 and xbox one its damn near unplayable buy a ssd and there better but really require a ps4 pro and xbox one x and thats at a bare min which proves there was a generational gap within the same gen !
but you can download it and try to play on the first ps4s and xbox ones why because everything has to be "backwards compatible"!

if you cant figure why making a new game in essence over 3 generational consoles all because they have to be backwards compatible is just stupid and at some point somethings going to fail then im sorry!!

Last edited:
I wonder how much getting CP to run suitably on last gen hardware is not only a futile effort, but doubly causing real harm to the potential of CP truly becoming that masterpiece we all hope it will be. This patch will be telling.

The game was actually better before these last few patches. Now, it's something that I wouldn't even pay $10 to play...smh
Post automatically merged:

Like I said from the start. They should have had two seperate versions on consoles, like many other games have. A last gen version and A next gen version. This way, all the downscale-ing that they are doing, don't effect the next gen and pc versions.

Last edited:
if you cant figure why making a new game in essence over 3 generational consoles all because they have to be backwards compatible is just stupid and at some point somethings going to fail then im sorry!!
No need to be sorry. Thing is, the platforms this game was released for was down to CDPR, so why, again, is the customer's intelligence being called into question over decisions made by CDPR? They obviously thought they could pull it off.

What's last gen? Simple. Since PS5 and XSX have been released, PS4 and Xbone are last gen. The number of units currently in circulation doesn't matter to the definition. At all. Last gen and next gen are only about HW generation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Why should they have released it only for next gen and PC? Because last gen HW is totally obsolete and inadequate for the game that they presumably had in mind when they made all those teasers, interviews, etc. When last gen was released, their HW was already worse than the PCs of their era. Meanwhile, PS5 and XSX HWs are actually more or less on par with the average "modern" PCs of today.

Releasing for last-gen means that CDPR would need to tone down or flat out remove some parts of their original ambition to allow obsolete last-gen HW to even play the game. This means that there must be ideas and features, that we could've gotten in the game had they not needed to care about last-gen's obsolete HW, that got scrapped because of this.

On top of that, since the game is clearly developed with PCs in mind before getting ported to next-gen and then last-gen, it just (imho) unecessarily adds workload and dev-time for them. Time that they could've used to iron out the bugs and polish the game on PCs and next-gen and make the game release in a much better state in general.

So yeah, money-wise, sure, releasing for last-gen is not a mistake. But development, features, bugs, etc. wise? It definitely was a mistake. A lot of the problems and bad press they had and have been having today can be traced to them wanting to release for the obsolete last-gen HW.
I cant help but feel you gloss over a quite important little fact.
PS4 and XOne were current gen when they started development for this game. Unless someone has more detailed inside information on what was known with regards to the then 'future gens' and development inside CDPR in relation to it.

It was a mistake in terms of being a development goal, considering the technological inferiority of a PS4 compared to a modern PC, but it was a well thought-out marketing decision. There are 110+ million PS4 sold, they wanted to 'tap that ass'.
If you have ever played Final Fantasy XV on PS4 and on PC, the difference in quality is unmistakable, even knowing that FFXV is so unoptimized on PC, and it was in 2016 (the PC version's release date). It blows my mind how someone could think this game would run well (on 30 fps with frame-drops) on a PS4. A triumph of corporate marketing though!

I cant help but feel you gloss over a quite important little fact.
PS4 and XOne were current gen when they started development for this game. Unless someone has more detailed inside information on what was known with regards to the then 'future gens' and development inside CDPR in relation to it.
Not exactly 100% sure but I seem to remember that ps5 dev kit wasn't released to 3rd party studios until about Dec 2018 and CP2077 was supposed to be out March 2020 BEFORE THE PS5 EVEN EXISTED....

It was a mistake in terms of being a development goal, considering the technological inferiority of a PS4 compared to a modern PC, but it was a well thought-out marketing decision. There are 110+ million PS4 sold, they wanted to 'tap that ass'.
If you have ever played Final Fantasy XV on PS4 and on PC, the difference in quality is unmistakable, even knowing that FFXV is so unoptimized on PC, and it was in 2016 (the PC version's release date). It blows my mind how someone could think this game would run well (on 30 fps with frame-drops) on a PS4. A triumph of corporate marketing though!
The average frame rate for ps4 on all titles is 30fps most studios aim for that for stability. They are capped at 60fps but any game that tries to run anywhere near that is juddery AF and will get massive noticeable drops to like 10fps.

Last edited:
I own the game on both PC and PS4, and like a good amount of other players the game runs also just fine on PS4.
Equally there are people on PS5 or XOX who say the game runs shit for them.
The same with PC players.
Face it, for EVERY system there's good running examples aswell as bad running examples.
Can we be done with this argument already?

Not exactly 100% sure but I seem to remember that ps5 dev kit wasn't released to 3rd party studios until about Dec 2018 and CP2077 was supposed to be out March 2020 BEFORE THE PS5 EVEN EXISTED....
Basically backing up my statement then ;)

I own the game on both PC and PS4, and like a good amount of other players the game runs also just fine on PS4.
Equally there are people on PS5 or XOX who say the game runs shit for them.
The same with PC players.
Face it, for EVERY system there's good running examples aswell as bad running examples.
Can we be done with this argument already?

Basically backing up my statement then ;)
Yeah, was trying to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom