Players; how old are you? at least in your state of mind.

+
I am 42 years old, I have been playing video games since 1992, I was 13 I was in Japan for my studies. coming from Russia, after having been very ill following the disaster of 1986, the only survivor of my parental family [...], my rebellious spirit was born from that.
very quickly I focus on thinking games, role-playing games, only on PC. in Japan I had the chance to know an impressive number of games.
back home, my life is stable but the desire to take revenge on a world that lied to me, took my parents my elder sister haunts me. the rest is not joyful [...].
2006 {go to jail}.
2019, as in the monopoly, I come out of jail, not broken but I thirst for information. after being cut off from this world for over 13 years; it makes you want to know. the news of the world are not good; it's worse than before.
February of last year, {forbidden to play on PC until 2031} I bought a used PS4 pro console. but which game to buy?...
a good little boy advises me, he asks me if I like Cowboys; I love Western movies => Red Dead Redemption 2. {I didn't know the 1st opus}, I doubt and I take.
what a surprise it was for me! the graphics, the universe, I was speechless. I devoured this game, the spirit of escape is very immersive; the rebellious side too = the rules between good and bad.
just before knowing CP-2077, I had just finished "Ghost of Tsushima", a wonderful game. it made me think; I miss Japan.

when I play, I get involved. in CP-2077 V it's me, totally.
yes, I am 42 years old and still 18 years old in my head. Mother nature gave me the chance to look younger than my age {or is it the effects of the death rays of 1986}

be yourself, stay yourself. despite a very busy schedule, if you want, you can get away from it all. in the countryside, in front of your screen.
Trust me on this; despite a most austere, dismal, violent prison for women; sometimes I felt more free locked up than "free" in this shitty world.

d75e0f7ae111e7d2d1983af3426146d0.jpg

I'm 65. I was 25 when I first actually saw a computer, in 1980; I was 25 when I wrote my first game on one. By the time I was 30, I was a research academic in artificial intelligence. By the time I was 35, I was CEO of a company developing artificial intelligence systems.

And yes, it's mostly been downhill from their. Like so many tech startups, both that one and the next one I started went bust. And I discovered that I much prefer (and am much better at) writing software than at managing companies. I'm now mostly retired, and have a small farm, where I keep cattle. Software, now, is more my hobby than my work.

But... aren't we all still eighteen, somewhere deep inside?

Aren't we all at least a little bit broken inside?

My "age" is a weird topic, Until I was 19 my life went relatively normally, but a series of surgeries had to be done (or rather my parents were incapable idiots and just missed doing those surgeries when I was a kid, when the risk of complications was much lower).

I went into the first surgery with the body of an athlete, having O2 blood values in the top 1% of the world just from bicycling like a maniac. When I came out of my last surgery my body was broken, I had about as much bad luck as you can have, almost died twice and due to a combination of hospitalism (no real human contact for about a year) and trauma thanks to the murder of a beloved person I was an empty shell mentally.

I tried pushing forward with my apprenticeship, but was just unable to perform at any reasonable level and due to my former job involving taking care of disabled kids I called it quits to protect them from my own inabilities.

Since then 11 years have gone by and while I am much better now regarding all what happened back then, hardships from that time have basically broken my body. My knees are messed up and my right arm has severe permanent damage from working in construction to get rid off debt that came when I ended my apprenticeship. Overall I'd say that I'm basically at the same spot I was when I was 19 and never really got a chance - and later did not give myself the chance - to move on. So you could say that I'm a 19 year old in the body of a broken 30 year old.

But it's not all bad, at least I can still game with a PS4 controller as that causes the least pain and is the easiest on my right hand. Irreparably damaged tendons are a mess I tell you. But gaming has kept me sane, which is more than I could have hoped for considering the way my life went.

Last edited:
38 from Italy here, gamer since forever. Started my odyssey into this wonderful media with a Commodore 64, and never stopped. I played through pretty much every main entertainment system, from NES to SEGA GENESIS, both domestic and handheld. I still remember how excited i was as a kid, opening my Xmas present and discovering that little miracle of technology called Game Boy. You couldn't even play the thing without some form of light source, because the first iteration didn't even come with a backlit screen, eh. Then Sony came with the first Playstation, and life of all gamers all over the world changed forever.

Never been too much into PC gaming, but i used to play the heck out of pretty much every Black Isle Studio rpg ever published or developed by them, expecially the Baldur's Gate series.

If i had to choose my favorite game, it would be a tough fight between BG2, Sonic 3, FFVII, Morrowind, and the Monkey Island series.

Nowadays i own just a Series X and a Nintendo Swich. My old 3ds is collecting dust somewhere.

Gaming is one of my three main passions, the others being music, both listening and playing (i'm a drummer, and my beautiful Pearl kit is looking at me from the living room as i write this), and writing (managed to publish two books over the years, pretty much stopped now).

My passion for gaming is still strong, even though i obviously get to play much less than in the past. I'm the proud father of a three months old, blue-eyed munchkin, so i play when i can, mainly late at night. These days it's a tough call between getting some sleep and playing, eh. I work on three shifts, nights included, and this definitely doesn't help.

Now if you'll excuse me, someone is in need of a diaper change.

I'm 64 though I'm told I look like I'm about 50. Mentally about 30. I think the gaming keeps me young. ;)

I've been playing computer games since an IBM with a 5 1/2 inch floppy disk drive was considered a powerful computer. I started gaming with the DOS-based Infocom games like Zork. Tried Nintendo but never really got into it.

Once games started to have graphics I began playing adventure titles like Myst and Phantasmagoria, and thought I hated action/fighting games, but I stumbled upon Thief one day and that was it for tme. I'm RPG/Action gaming all the way.

[...]Phantasmagoria, and thought I hated action/fighting games, but I stumbled upon Thief one day and that was it for tme. I'm RPG/Action gaming all the way.
"Phantasmagoria" brings back memories {1996-1997} I think. I was just a young girl and this horror game, simple and very short, made me discover that games will go far, very far in their nature, until they touch us, upset us, make us cry.

And I thought that I was probably the only aged player of Gwent.

I'm 65 years old. I played my first 'arcade game' in a pub in Fulham Road, London in 1974. A couple of years later Space Invaders arrived and I played that, again in pubs. I married in 1980 and was fortunate enough to have a couple of children. I bought them both consoles when they were old enough and occasionally played games with them.

It was in the 90s that I discovered RPGs when my youngest came to me and said 'Daddy I'm stuck' on his latest game, which was FFVII. I tried to help him and discovered that I really liked that RPG, so when he had moved on to other games and consoles I tried the game for myself. Since then I've enjoyed many RPGs. Witcher 3 is one of the best I've ever played.

That was what brought me to Gwent, the only online game I've ever played. It's been a valuable source of entertainment for me, especially over the past year when I've been locked down as an 'extremely clinically vulnerable' person under Covid restrictions. I may not be very good at Gwent but it does help keep my mind active.

I ain't gonna disclose my age but I'm very very old, frail, but surprisingly nibble. I come from a dirt town 10 miles yonder of Chester, Virginia where I used to live with my mother and sister at our pig farm that produced pigs. Sadly our farm was destroyed a couple of years back by the hands of my incompetent sister and her basement hobby that produced a fiery hellstorm incinerating my house and everything in the surrounding area. But hey, at least we had bacon that morning! That of course could not compensate for the fact that my mother - a truly ancient woman - became dead. After that incident my sister left the country to Poland where we still have remnants of what can be called a "family". After losing my home I had to move in with my younger brother and his nitwit son - I mostly stay in their attic but I come out when my nephew is at his camp. Anyway, I never used to play video games, I was mostly interested in Literature but all my notes, books and theories became dust in the fire. Thankfully I got a sizable bankroll from my insurance so I can live like a middle-class king and just do what the heck I want: Squalor, Moscow Mules, Video games. I mostly play open world games and I do it on my nephew's personal computer pc which he has upgraded since I moved in. It has all the latest personal computer pc technology according to him, though I don't trust him.

Early 40s ... Been gaming since 1986 when Santa brought my brothers and I our first NES. Prior to that I had tinkered with missile command on the 2600, but as soon as I played castlevania and metroid I was hooked. Got really into computers because I wanted to make games (like alot of others) but ended really digging SQL and database development so that's what I did for a couple decades. Just left from that now I teach physics and chemistry at a local high school. As far as games, gwent is just about all I have time for anymore :) jump on. Play a few rounds, say a few choice 4-letter words then it's back to work :)

Wow! When I read the title, I thought I would be one of the older guys here, but thank you all for sharing.
I'm 37 and my first video game was one of those:

Didn't have anything else in Poland when I was six, and I loved it – love games up until now and playing Gwent on my Smartphone is actually like returning to my six-year-old self.

I am 42 years old, I have been playing video games since 1992, I was 13 I was in Japan for my studies. coming from Russia, after having been very ill following the disaster of 1986, the only survivor of my parental family [...], my rebellious spirit was born from that.
very quickly I focus on thinking games, role-playing games, only on PC. in Japan I had the chance to know an impressive number of games.
back home, my life is stable but the desire to take revenge on a world that lied to me, took my parents my elder sister haunts me. the rest is not joyful [...].
2006 {go to jail}.
2019, as in the monopoly, I come out of jail, not broken but I thirst for information. after being cut off from this world for over 13 years; it makes you want to know. the news of the world are not good; it's worse than before.
February of last year, {forbidden to play on PC until 2031} I bought a used PS4 pro console. but which game to buy?...
a good little boy advises me, he asks me if I like Cowboys; I love Western movies => Red Dead Redemption 2. {I didn't know the 1st opus}, I doubt and I take.
what a surprise it was for me! the graphics, the universe, I was speechless. I devoured this game, the spirit of escape is very immersive; the rebellious side too = the rules between good and bad.
just before knowing CP-2077, I had just finished "Ghost of Tsushima", a wonderful game. it made me think; I miss Japan.

when I play, I get involved. in CP-2077 V it's me, totally.
yes, I am 42 years old and still 18 years old in my head. Mother nature gave me the chance to look younger than my age {or is it the effects of the death rays of 1986}

be yourself, stay yourself. despite a very busy schedule, if you want, you can get away from it all. in the countryside, in front of your screen.
Trust me on this; despite a most austere, dismal, violent prison for women; sometimes I felt more free locked up than "free" in this shitty world.

View attachment 11201698

29 years old
In state of mind 20, in real, little more. Currently I play Gwent often, but I like PS4 games too.

By the way I love the picture you posted here. I did a Google reverse image search for it, and didn't find it; Is it your own work?
O no! I looked for a drawing that could define my state of mind; find freedom at all costs.
my freedom is sacred, if I have to leave my body to find it; I will not hesitate. in my opinion, true freedom is first of all in our mind.
to escape... leave this mad world...

here is the drawing. it reminds me of the intimate works of Helen Rose.

escape.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom