Is Cyperpunk 2077 a political game?

+
It is. Sometimes subtle, sometimes totally in your face. But is is.
Agree, and actually I think is a smart decision by CDPR... A casual player can just go in "FPS" mode and miss a lot of the political commentary. Sure you get Johnny, but your 1st phrase is directly "I have a terrorist in my head"; so you can just treat him like a cancer and move on.

Yes and no. The genre is predicated on how society changes in the near future if technological advancements outpace societies' capacities to establish new mores to accommodate those changes. It's based on the question of how technology and culture interact, and it presumes that on some level the two are separate things. This is also why it's sort of pointless to look at older works in the genre and goof on them for not matching what has really happened in history. It's not like traditional science fiction, which on some level is meant to be almost literally predictive. The essence of cyberpunk is that technology is dangerous and we lose a little of our humanity when we internalize it. So, it's sociological, which kind of gets you towards political in that politics is the use and acquisition of power within a society. But it isn't political in the sense that it's taking a side on contemporary political issues, and I don't think it's taking a particularly strong ideological stance. The genre itself tends to be anticorporate, and in some cases anticapitalist and environmentalist, but this game in particular isn't doing that more or less than other entries in the genre, in my opinion.

IDK. The problem with adding any type of "political statement" is execution. Currently I would say that the execution has been abysmal across the board in entertainment. It feels forced and disingenuous. No one wants or needs to be beaten over the head with someone else's politics. It's just as bad as when someone thrusts any type of "faith" based idea upon someone else. Because it is all made-up nonsense.

If this game is political, I didn't see it. Plenty of the usual Political Griffters tried to kick it around pre-launch, but I don't see anything blatant in CP2077. I have been playing other games and active on their forums. The first couple posts are all about some political agenda or another. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree, and actually I think is a smart decision by CDPR... A casual player can just go in "FPS" mode and miss a lot of the political commentary. Sure you get Johnny, but your 1st phrase is directly "I have a terrorist in my head"; so you can just treat him like a cancer and move on.

I noticed this as well, however I think this technique is great in some ways and bad in others, not just in terms of politics. A lot of people never realize whats really going on with Johnny, Or with Evelyn, Or what the vdbs perspective is. They don't fully get what corpo V's life was like. They look at most of the side gigs/side jobs as fetch quests, even though most of them have a whole narrative, which some times ties together to give you more insight into the characters and the world.
A quest could be boring cyberpsycho in the basement, or it can be a story of someone trying to save their mentally disturbed sister from becoming a psycho killer, losing their marriage and finally their lives as the sister slowly slips further into madness.

but on the plus side, it does allow a player to decide exactly how much they want to engage. Its just that I have seen people annoyed that the world/lore is empty because they don't really engage with content in that way.

It does align more closely with TT rpgs though. where often perception, insight, and searching gives you a lot more story.

I noticed this as well, however I think this technique is great in some ways and bad in others, not just in terms of politics. A lot of people never realize whats really going on with Johnny, Or with Evelyn, Or what the vdbs perspective is. They don't fully get what corpo V's life was like. They look at most of the side gigs/side jobs as fetch quests, even though most of them have a whole narrative, which some times ties together to give you more insight into the characters and the world.
A quest could be boring cyberpsycho in the basement, or it can be a story of someone trying to save their mentally disturbed sister from becoming a psycho killer, losing their marriage and finally their lives as the sister slowly slips further into madness.

but on the plus side, it does allow a player to decide exactly how much they want to engage. Its just that I have seen people annoyed that the world/lore is empty because they don't really engage with content in that way.

It does align more closely with TT rpgs though. where often perception, insight, and searching gives you a lot more story.
Its not going to be me the one that says all tabletop sessions were deep and full of food for thought(i.e many times you end in a dice rolling hack and slash),but there is an element in tabletop that is not needed for computer that helps : the master needs to read 100's of pages of manuals but also novels/comics and watch movies to get the mood and tone and normally a player that like the game ends up buying a copy of the rules and some supplements so he/she will also end up reading a lot.
In the case of CP2020/RED a big chunk of the game manual is not even rules,just world building,alternate timeline...CP2020 has something like 20 supplements,many devoted to world building(europe,far east,uk guide,land of the free for us...) and most of the pages are not even rules.
In cp2077, i know they published RED and the guide world of cp2077 but that guide is more a crash course for cp2077(and not necessary to read before playing).
So they scattered a lot of stuff in small conversations with npcs,or between npcs on street,tv and shards found in gigs/quests. Which kind of make sense,because in real world unless you are active in politics you don't engage in political discussions every step but the effects of politics shape your world in a small scale but you can just ignore(even if they impact your life) them.
Still,as you said many people might find the world empty because "adult themed game" translates mostly to B&B (Boobs&Blood) in industry.

I just wanna reach 10 posts, but I can answer the topic this way: Is any game or anything we do not political?
The chair you bought and it's price and quality? has it anything to do with political arrangements? Taxes? The wood from what country?
Politics is in everything, hell we can't even breathe without politics being there, that fucking factory over there polluting our air! Or if it isn't that they are chopping down our forest and getting closer to our environment etc etc. Anyway, 1/10.. want to make my own post so :)

I just wanna reach 10 posts, but I can answer the topic this way: Is any game or anything we do not political?
The chair you bought and it's price and quality? has it anything to do with political arrangements? Taxes? The wood from what country?
Politics is in everything, hell we can't even breathe without politics being there, that fucking factory over there polluting our air! Or if it isn't that they are chopping down our forest and getting closer to our environment etc etc. Anyway, 1/10.. want to make my own post so :)
True. Good luck with your post count! I did a very similar thing when I joined.
Your approach is better, I think, than just jumping straight in with ten bug reports or whatever. :)

dont know how this quote thing work here? New to this forum, Thank you, I am just doing a fast reply to a lot, but I do mean what I am saying.
Failed quoting!?
6/10
Post automatically merged:

True. Good luck with your post count! I did a very similar thing when I joined.
Your approach is better, I think, than just jumping straight in with ten bug reports or whatever. :)
Ah reply, ok :) 7/10, but this might get deleted :)

Top Bottom