GWENT: Community Q&A Thread - Ask Your Questions Here

+
Okay, maybe Gwent can add a club membership, where i pay for a membership on a yearly or monthly basis.

I can opt out e.g. ladder, i can have options to play for meteorite powder or kegs or ore, things which cannot revert back into fiat.

Then the focus can be on adding maybe fewer but not op or filler cards, changing old ones too.

Hi, I came back to the game after a long break, I am currently playing Nilfgaard, I wonder how to transform a Usurper: officer into an emperor, during the game he transforms into a general but he has never changed into the best version. I will be grateful for your help to unlock the change. Thank you very much

Hi, I came back to the game after a long break, I am currently playing Nilfgaard, I wonder how to transform a Usurper: officer into an emperor, during the game he transforms into a general but he has never changed into the best version. I will be grateful for your help to unlock the change. Thank you very much
He only transforms to Emperor with devotion meaning you can only use Nilfgaard Faction Card's and aren't allowed to put Neutral Cards in you're Deck if you want him to transform in to his third form.

Recently checked and started to wonder, why is Albrich+Affan 11points for 15p, while Derran+Morkvarg is only 9points for 15p? The only other uses are [thin a bad card for 3 points] for Derran, (Maxii is better for that) and put a card of your choosing on the top [and gain 2 points if it's a unit] for 3p while using Albrich. I've seen CDPR tried to balance Derran, but he still feels like a bad trade. Can you please show my boy some love? Thanks!

Why can't players lose ranks?

As a newcomer this can be frustrating. Since matches are by rank (or random in casual, which is worse), if I play one deck well, I essentially corner myself to only playing that deck for the remainder of the season because any matchups with other decks I might attempt will be pinned to my progress on that deck. This limits options and replayability.

Why can't players lose ranks?

As a newcomer this can be frustrating. Since matches are by rank (or random in casual, which is worse), if I play one deck well, I essentially corner myself to only playing that deck for the remainder of the season because any matchups with other decks I might attempt will be pinned to my progress on that deck. This limits options and replayability.

Everyone loses 3 ranks at the end of each season (except the top pros, IIRC), so you will go down ranks over time if you keep losing and not ranking back up. But I wouldn't worry too much if I were you - try new and weird decks that you're bad with, and you'll learn how to improve the deck and your play of it, even if you're against better opponents who mostly beat you. And before long you'll be beating them, most likely. I mostly play around rank 9-13, as I don't play a lot, and like weird very-not-meta decks, and I can tell you players at least at these ranks still make lots of mistakes, so give you opportunities to beat them even with whatever weird crap you're playing ;)

Which is maybe another way of saying, relax, enjoy the game, and don't worry about your rank so much.

That said, if I'm on a roll and near ranking up, I generally play the deck I've been doing best with to try and get up the rank. Once you're at the start of your next rank you have nothing to lose, so you can play your worst and not feel like you're losing anything. I think that's an advantage of not being able to lose ranks.

Everyone loses 3 ranks at the end of each season (except the top pros, IIRC), so you will go down ranks over time if you keep losing and not ranking back up. But I wouldn't worry too much if I were you - try new and weird decks that you're bad with, and you'll learn how to improve the deck and your play of it, even if you're against better opponents who mostly beat you. And before long you'll be beating them, most likely. I mostly play around rank 9-13, as I don't play a lot, and like weird very-not-meta decks, and I can tell you players at least at these ranks still make lots of mistakes, so give you opportunities to beat them even with whatever weird crap you're playing ;)

Which is maybe another way of saying, relax, enjoy the game, and don't worry about your rank so much.

That said, if I'm on a roll and near ranking up, I generally play the deck I've been doing best with to try and get up the rank. Once you're at the start of your next rank you have nothing to lose, so you can play your worst and not feel like you're losing anything. I think that's an advantage of not being able to lose ranks.

The worry isn't the rank. The worry is that I will be matched to players who exceed my ability. I can handle losses, but this system de-incentivizes playing decks that I am likely to lose with by making me more likely to lose with them, and does not adjust matchmaking based on those losses.

I hit the ground running with NR 3 weeks ago and am currently playing that faction fairly competitively. Regardless of the deck I play, I am being paired with players who can play competitively against me playing that faction. What that means is that without de-ranking, when I switch to a faction I am more likely to lose on, I'm even moreso likely to lose not simply from my ability with that faction, but because my ability with that faction does not match my ability with NR. In other words, the matchmaking does not match me based on my current ability because I cannot de-rank. And continued wins with NR will exasperate the problem, but it's also the best way to bring up the other factions by gaining RPs.

I understand that I cannot de-rank. That doesn't really answer why. Matchmaking should be on ability, and preventing de-ranking due to losses essentially says that players cannot individually lose ability, which is fallacious.

19:01

It used to be a thing, but they changed it in Jan 2019 due to community feedback.

The points I got out of this are:
  • Losing rank disincentivizes play due to rewards at the end of the season based on current rank
  • Losing a match in such a system would prevent players from attempting new styles
  • Matchmaking at higher ranks was difficult before this was implemented due to lack of players at the higher ranks
A better solution to the first should be to pin the rewards to a player's highest rank in the season, not the current rank. Players wouldn't have to worry about losing those rewards even if they de-ranked. The second follows the first as well, but I'm finding that the current system also has the same disincentive. I am more likely to keep playing the same play style because it is more likely to get a win when I'm always matched with players who rank competitively with that play style. The third option is a parity issue - since players only rank up when other players rank down in ranks 1-7, there's a zero sum movement at that point that isn't present in the lower ranks. Preventing de-ranking does solve that issue, but so would other elements already present in other areas of the ranking system - two losses to drop, win streaks, etc - that are simply removed at that rank.

But thank you, that answers my question. I am wondering now why it was decided to shift matchmaking towards number of wins and further from ability.

Last edited:
I heard that with upcoming patch for the new season in march 2021, there will also be a release of 12 new cards. Any information on this?

I heard that with upcoming patch for the new season in march 2021, there will also be a release of 12 new cards. Any information on this?
I think they said the Card drop will be at the end of March, but there will be a Developer Overview Video along with a Roadmap tomorrow anyway, so you should just follow their Channel on YouTube and watch it Tomorrow because all the information will be there.

Hi, only started playing over a week ago so might be missing something obvious, but i thought the new cards came out today but i don't seem to be able to find them to craft. I've tried searching the names and scrolling through the provisions costs, but no where to be seen? Any ideas?

Hi, only started playing over a week ago so might be missing something obvious, but i thought the new cards came out today but i don't seem to be able to find them to craft. I've tried searching the names and scrolling through the provisions costs, but no where to be seen? Any ideas?
Are you sure that you downloaded the update seen some posts of mobile users which have problems downloading the update.

If that's not the case make sure to check the filters in the Deckbuilder that they also show unowned Card's.

Last edited:
On an IPhone, I typically have to go to the App Store, then search for how to update — it’s not automatic like most of my apps.

These 8.3 new cards.. seriously.. if you dont have enough or right removal in your hand you are dooooooooooomed! Those new leader like cards are wayyyyyy too good, what were you thinking CDPR!??!

I played today for the first time in a week, as per usual now. The scoring seems broken at time. Playing against a Sco deck today, with my Special cards deck to get the key for that daily, I used a special card to damage a Sco unit by about 5 points. The next turn, the unit just regained a whole heap of points when they played their next unit. I wasn't taking notes during the game. Their unit which I damaged was, from memory, maybe one of those newly introduced cards. It had one armour and five or six power, I think. There was nothing about their leader ability to explain how they got so many points back on their damaged card, nothing on the damaged card either, or the unit which they played.

This kind of thing might have happened in some other games too.

Bug?

Does anyone know how the new cards coming out at the beginning of the next season will be released?
Will it be just a pack or they'll have kegs like in the past?

Does anyone know how the new cards coming out at the beginning of the next season will be released?
Will it be just a pack or they'll have kegs like in the past?
Burza answered a question about that in one of the TWiGs (at around 22:00). It was too early to talk about it then.

I don't think there is anything more recent, official about it. Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong. :p

Top Bottom