What is the fun in playing Nilfgaard?

+
So, I decided to try a Devotion spy deck with Assimilate, and it's insanely fun to play. :D
I don't follow any guides or copy others' decks, so my deck is more than likely far from optimal, but it does well enough.

I just had a match against Fireswarm, during which both of us played plenty of Syndicate cards and spent coins to spawn stuff (which double-procced my Assimilate engines, so awesome). A genuine GG was sent afterwards.

I've definitely found a new reason for the question in the topic title. Playing opponents' cards has been fun ever since it was made possible through cards like old Treason, but Assimilate makes it super fun. Various spy archetype cards proccing Assimilate only makes it better. I didn't even draw a single Seditious Aristocrats in that SY match, but Assimilate carried.

The evolving Usurper card is really good even without Spying/Assimilate procs.

NG just takes the fun out of Gwent. Every time I play against a NG deck...it hurts the game of Gwent
That's the impression of many people, and it's rightful in my opinion, as NG has the most different and despicable ways to disrupt your gameplan. Mass locking, mass clogging, mass milling, mass cloning, mass cards stealing, mass poisoning, not to mention they can boost their own units in the process while performing the dirty work. Other factions rely practically on just 2 or 3 ways.

NG just takes the fun out of Gwent. Every time I play against a NG deck...it hurts the game of Gwent
Because this is the only faction focused on not letting your opponent play. That's why it is no fun to play against.

And there has been too much of NG lately. Regardless of the win rate it feels like it's the most played faction.

I don't understand why do you play the Nilfguard faction. I saw some other threads of someone who said they immediately quit the game and don't GG when playing against Nilfguard. For me it's also the most cheesy faction. But i'm still curious what is the fun in it?
I like the fact that it gives me a 100% guaranteed victory no matter which cards I add to my deck :)

Seriously. I like it because it fits my play style. I prefer control and to disrupt the opponent's plans with spies, locks, etc. All the stuff people say they hate about it basically.. LoL. The real question is, what's the fun in NOT playing NG?

Because it's more than just Double Cross Quadruple Joachim Ball and Mill.
Yes, its more, NG still have poison and Block.

Still not satisfied? They have a card that can play leader 2 times, a card that can play opponent leade, a card that buf Everytime another opponent card buf and can be a game killer.

Also they can copy all your Good bronze engines and buf they when its copy. And If its enought they can still steal some of your cards.

The only faction there is a cheaper korathi.

Its The Best faction in almost all The seasonals games.

Am i missing something? Problably, its too much damm things.

The only faction there is a cheaper korathi.
Invo cannot touch Artifacts, which is a big difference considering Scenarios are very popular. It also does not Banish or even destroy, so if you use it on some card that's not helpful for you (and such cards can often be good Invo targets) it will clog your deck. Korathi is, overall, a better card than Invo (as it should, since it costs more).

--------------------

Nilfgaard is fun to play because it's never solitaire, and it requires strategy and thinking to be truly successful with. It's the second most difficult faction to play (#1 is, of course, Syndicate).

I just meant that NG it's actually a faction that really lend itself to be played in many archetypes, shining both in devo decks and not-devo decks.
I agree, it also contains many frustrating and toxic cards, but the fault lies on the players not on the faction itself. You can play NG in a healthy way, you don't have to slam locks, poison, clog and ball into every deck.

Because NG cards are a bit manipulating it gives you the option to come up with different strategies and ideas on the spot. So it requires some thinking. At least that's my opinion

Im at rank 14 and i start countering ALOT of NG . I must say they are more occupied with messing around with the oppnents deck the playing theyr own . Im just standing there watching them shuffling my deck ,coping them and shuffle the lowest crap cards on top of mine and i can not do anything about it. In my last game 5 times in a row he just fk up my deck and my hand. There is no other faction to compare with how frustrating it is every time i counter this faction. Hopefully they getting balanced soon enough.

Hopefully they getting balanced soon enough.
Nope. Thats what NG does. Manipulates opponents hand. If anything it will get worse with the new expansion. But its not that bad. The more you play the more you will learn how to counter it. Their whole win condition on heavy manipulating decks (mill and clog from what I got from your description) usually relies on 1-2 cards. If you push them enough that's it for them. Just keep calm

A real answer? Trying to control your oponent and force him to make bad plays while struggling to find your own value. Getting greedy (and heavily frustrated) playing Soldier-Combos. Watching the whole world burn while roasting a sandwitch.

This faction is sometimes evil, sometimes bad. I do not like the ball and the cloggers, but if the control is in a good spot balance vise (compared to other factions, not compared with a rank15 greed deck:smart:) it can be a lot of fun playing NG as well as playing against it. Mostly depends on your aproach to the game if you can enjoy a good old empire.

I don't understand why do you play the Nilfguard faction. I saw some other threads of someone who said they immediately quit the game and don't GG when playing against Nilfguard. For me it's also the most cheesy faction. But i'm still curious what is the fun in it?
Nilfgaard? I love Nilfgaard.
What you should be asking is, what is the fun in playing broken cards, meta decks, broken decks, and just not being abl eto think for yourself?

Gwent deck downloader was a mistake.
Post automatically merged:

Why are they so keen on adding more rng effects to the faction? Thought this game was suppose to be about skill and outsmarting your opponent.
Ha! Then you were never around from the beginning.
Remember wolvesbane? Remember Imlerith? Remember Greatswords? Remember Viperwitchers? Remember Letho?
Gwents never changed and never been about outsmarting or skill.
Gwent has always been about meta from the beginning.
Had dozens of friends quit during the alpha, beta, homecoming, and the past 4 seasons. I only know one actual person interested in playing and he hasn't even purchased this seasons pass due to the same annoying NG/Mon/NR meta.
Can't play anything fun without running into the same copy and paste deck from muh fav tuber.

I made it to prorank with lockdown/agents only, outthinking the daily meta. First time in prorank, because everytime i make it to rank 3 or 2, I give up from the amount of current broken meta decks being used.
It's extremely boring, you can tell when you already lost by when you first see your opponents card being played.

Last edited:

Remember wolvesbane? Remember Imlerith? Remember Greatswords? Remember Viperwitchers? Remember Letho?
Had dozens of friends quit during the alpha, beta, homecoming, and the past 4 seasons. I only know one actual person interested in playing and he hasn't even purchased this seasons pass due to the same annoying NG/Mon/NR meta.
Can't play anything fun without running into the same copy and paste deck from muh fav tuber.

I made it to prorank with lockdown/agents only, outthinking the daily meta. First time in prorank, because everytime i make it to rank 3 or 2, I give up from the amount of current broken meta decks being used.
It's extremely boring, you can tell when you already lost by when you first see your opponents card being played.

Never said that they had a good design in the beginning either. Letho, Dudu and Regis could give double amount of points with barely no counterplay for example. Another problem back then which they now for some reason somewhat reintroduce is too many tutors.
Sometimes you're able to tell if they could have a chance by round 2 however by design some rounds are more important than others.

I still find it a bit strange that you can purify a lock. I guess in the context of a battle, the situation is that the unit locks down the other one in some kind of flank, or even take them prisoners. But then comes the diviner and purifies them and boom, not locked anymore.

When did Mahakam Ale become such a worthless card anyways?

Purify is completely logical against poison, somewhat logical against bleeding (although vitality/healing is more logical), but locks? How can you purify locks? Some of the shenanigans repeat Nilfgaard units could be locked, and that's it, but no, they are ofcourse purified, so you have to remove them instead, and if you do, chance is they will renew it.

So, then monsters might bring the 8p and/or 9p lock, just for it to be removed by a 5p 4b card.

Except against NR, locks have really become way less valuable as a tool for anything.
good point. (y)

I like the fact that it gives me a 100% guaranteed victory no matter which cards I add to my deck :)

Seriously. I like it because it fits my play style. I prefer control and to disrupt the opponent's plans with spies, locks, etc. All the stuff people say they hate about it basically.. LoL. The real question is, what's the fun in NOT playing NG?
oh, so you aren't actually any good at playing and need the crutch of a faction that you claim gives you 100% victory sounds.... so fun.... but more like very boring

Nilfgaard? I love Nilfgaard.
What you should be asking is, what is the fun in playing broken cards, meta decks, broken decks, and just not being abl eto think for yourself?

Gwent deck downloader was a mistake.

Actually the original gwent when it just had the four or five factions and way less cards was in fact more of a game based off of outsmarting and skill as each faction was more well rounded and there were far fewer cards to pick from. once they started making new cards and factions is when it started to be about meta. That's why there's still people who would of rather play the original version then this. But people think making new cards adds to the game, while in reality it just muddys it up more. Also to say think for yourself while saying you use Nilfgaard is extremely comical, as that is the easiest faction to use and the response to your original message is probably accurate you most likely use the same copy paste deck that everyone else uses. Using Nilfgaard deck takes zero and I mean absolutely zero creativity to make and play with. Bragging about winning a game of gwent while using a Nilfgaard deck is like bragging about winning a bowling match against a bunch of children because you as an adult also played with the bumpers out..... so cool.

Last edited:
Started to play Nilfgaard because of the aestetics and lore, continued to play because I like to interact with my opponents and Nilfgaard allows me to do it in different ways (control, playing opponent's cards and even leader abilities, medling with their deck, playing on the other side of the table).
Now I'm reading forum and starting to like this faction even more, because there are a lot of discussions, complains and whining about it. Nilfgaard certainly has an interesting personality.

Top Bottom