A question about The Heist, Johnny and You. (SPOILERS)

+
Story wise, not sure who I can trust at this point, so far I just did some Delemain side quests. If I understand correctly I need to be friends with Johnny because otherwise he would see me as some sort of tumor and try to kill me?
It's as you wich (maybe he want to kill you or not :D)
(don't want spoil anything, it would spoil the fun ;))

DC9V

Forum veteran
once I realized the rest of the game map was closed to you, I treated the opening of the game more like a tutorial level you need to get through before the real game started.
When I saw those barricades for the first time I thought it was because of some cut content / game not being finished.

Stopped playing main story after the interesting mission to recover the crawling robot bug with Jackie, as read about how it will go downhill after that and now the big choom is safely waiting around, at Afterlife enjoying a digital beer or chatting up pixel girls maybe...

Don't want to play this clumsy fixed linear storyline to a bunch of predictably bad endings, don't aim to subject myself to relic malfunctions or the horrendously annoying Keanu fetish that resulted in the entire story being hijacked by Johnny Silverhand.

Instead treating it as my open world adventure, used mods to open up the map and bypass limits on exploration, using console to get items, money, implants, avoid the restrictive gameplay, customise my outfits, looks, cars, apartments, weapons and environment to be more akin to the vision I had for the cyberpunk vision of an 'open world' game.

Now I just vicariously 'live' in The Mansion, Night City, (perpetually Pre-Heist) exploring anywhere I like, engaging in routine random encounters and side jobs, experimenting, customising every aspect I can via mods, ( just as I did with Skyrim). I will wait and see what happens, with DLC etc, maybe one day we can escape the need for the irritating Johnny, forget about 'endings' and simply add on new exciting expansion content. I simply want to look the way I want, go where I want without limits, endlessly engage and explore.

I am waiting for more ways to interact with the truly amazing Night City once (hopefully) they finally introduce ways of transforming it from an inert but beautiful backdrop into a place where we can actually have things that work, interact, engage and function... and NPC's and AI systems to match that vision.. the ideal would be a true VR version.

I don't need a story, in virtual worlds I AM the story, and for me it's about 'being there'

Last edited:
Stopped playing main story after the interesting mission to recover the crawling robot bug with Jackie, as read about how it will go downhill after that and now the big choom is safely waiting around, at Afterlife enjoying a digital beer or chatting up pixel girls maybe...

Don't want to play this clumsy fixed linear storyline to a bunch of predictably bad endings, don't aim to subject myself to relic malfunctions or the horrendously annoying Keanu fetish that resulted in the entire story being hijacked by Johnny Silverhand.

Instead treating it as my open world adventure, used mods to open up the map and bypass limits on exploration, using console to get items, money, implants, avoid the restrictive gameplay, customise my outfits, looks, cars, apartments, weapons and environment to be more akin to the vision I had for the cyberpunk vision of an 'open world' game.

Now I just vicariously 'live' in The Mansion, Night City, (perpetually Pre-Heist) exploring anywhere I like, engaging in routine random encounters and side jobs, experimenting, customising every aspect I can via mods, ( just as I did with Skyrim). I will wait and see what happens, with DLC etc, maybe one day we can escape the need for the irritating Johnny, forget about 'endings' and simply add on new exciting expansion content. I simply want to look the way I want, go where I want without limits, endlessly engage and explore.

I am waiting for more ways to interact with the truly amazing Night City once (hopefully) they finally introduce ways of transforming it from an inert but beautiful backdrop into a place where we can actually have things that work, interact, engage and function... and NPC's and AI systems to match that vision.. the ideal would be a true VR version.

I don't need a story, in virtual worlds I AM the story, and for me it's about 'being there'
For a second run, ok.
But personally I would find it a shame not to make the game as it was designed at least once ;)

DC9V

Forum veteran
I think even if you don't care about the main story, it's worth it to finish The Heist. Night City feels bigger, and some locations make much more sense now. When I visited Wakako before the Heist, I was able to see Johnny Silverhand hanging around on JigJig Street, without introducing himself... Act#1 really isn't the full part of the story, literally and metaphorically.

Anyone who has finished The Heist knows what happens next and where Johnny appears in the open world.

My question is how did you play? Did you go straight to The Heist, just doing the main missions and avoiding extra stuff like the side jobs, crimes in progress and so forth?
Or did you start them after The Heist, just for his extra input and commentary, or did you skip around? What did you find more enjoyable? Does it change the outcome of anything?
Very first playthrough I did (last week of december 2020) I did maybe 3 assault thingies and a gig or 2 to see what they were. For the remainder I did basically every story mission straight into the heist my total combined playtime when starting Love Like Fire (I believe it called) was approximately 5 to 6 hours. This was as a Nomad.
I've done a corpo play where I did much more side stuff, grinded my level, got better equipment an muuuuch better hacking soft. The Heist was completed fully stealthed with ease (not impossible otherwise but much harder if you have near zero stuff to work with, as I did on first run) havent come across anything noticeably different afterwards storywise.
Yesterday I took my new main Nomad girl out for a spin and, pretty much by coincidence, I found that I cleared watson from all assault markers and gig markers with as sole exception being the Beat on the Brat: Kabuki fight. That is around 43 ish hour-mark playtimewise, while level 15 having a overal stats (I think) some legendary gear fully modded clothing for max carry capacity to hoard lots of upgraded and crafted stuff. I started the Heist but have been wandering and roaming about so I litterally still stand in Yorinobu's office with jackie holding the suitcase (thats where I saved) I will keep you posted, but expect virtually no difference.
Post automatically merged:

I think even if you don't care about the main story, it's worth it to finish The Heist. Night City feels bigger, and some locations make much more sense now. When I visited Wakako before the Heist, I was able to see Johnny Silverhand hanging around on JigJig Street, without introducing himself... Act#1 really isn't the full part of the story, literally and metaphorically.
Visited Wakako before the heist? Must be done via mod no? It tried everything including vaulting swimming etc to leave watson but I just cant.

I never installed any kind of mod. I was also able to visit the buildings that seem to be part of the Arasaka parade. I could go anywhere. Even defeated some Valentinos on "very hard" difficulty.
Huh, color me puzzled :D
Interesting to say the least.
Prior to the heist I tried driving and/or walking to oil fields in the north --> not allowed.
I tried frontal crashing into police barricade --> straight up deleted by simultaneously being Killed aswell as the screen delete/reset thing
I tried swimming to either downtown area or westbrook underneath the bridges --> was told to hastily swim back while not even half way.
Tried some vault near the northeast side where you're close the badlands ridges under the giant overpass --> got told to turn back.
Tried driving along that swingy road to from around that same location which leads into the burial building from north. --> couldnt even get to the swingy bit near that same overpass as above.

So I'm not sure exactly what to say haha :LOL:

Last edited:
My first playthrough, I felt the game was directing me, pushing me in one direction, so I did the everything up to and including the heist without really realising all the other things I could do.

I then played the "main" mission more or les straight without doing most of the side quests and "gigs". So much so that I naturally thought I should go with Hanako Arasaka. I was so disappointed with the end I just went back to the "point of no return" and discovered all the other things to do!!

On my subsequent playthroughs I usually explore Watson a bit first usually leaving Jackie waiting outside All Foods.

The main story is hardly Johnny's story and in fact you can chose to ignore him for a good part of the main story completely, which leads to not getting the Sun and Secret ending entirely. Also forgive the bluntness, but I find it very strange to judge a story based on other's opinions when you haven't even played it yourself. Nothing wrong with playing the game the way you like - mods or not. That's awesome you found a way to personally enjoy your time with the game, but to really judge a story you have to experienced it yourself. Otherwise it's like you read the first pages of a book, enjoyed what was there, but then someone on the internet told you the rest of the book is bad in their opinion and you dropped it entirely without even giving it a shot to see if you will end up liking it or not for yourself.

For the record I found Johnny's character absolutely annoying at first myself, but I decided that my V will give him a chance and by the time the game ended I absolutely loved his character and the way his story was intertwined with the one of V's.

DC9V

Forum veteran
It tried everything including vaulting swimming etc to leave watson but I just cant.
I wasn't able to remember so I just loaded an older save file in order to find out where I went but I just can't figure it out. I think it was via one of the bridges by driving wrong-way, but when I look at the travel points, the only two travel points out of Watson's area are Palms View Plaza and Palms View Way.

Attachments

• OutOfWatsonInAct1.jpg
    OutOfWatsonInAct1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 39
Looking at the map, I believe I once tried fast travel as well and all the non-watson points were Not available.

Oh well. Good for you I guess to roam outside of watson ;) enjoy!

Last edited:
Looking at the map, I believe I once tried fast travel as well and all the non-watson points were Not available.

Oh well. Good for you I guess to roam outside of watson ;) enjoy!
Behind Kabuki area (oh-ho bar and ripper-doc etc) along the beach, there are some long piers that go under a road bridge. Jump off piers and fast swim to the opposite shore (japan town). You should almost make it before being teleported back. Now open your map and see that 'Japan Town West' fast travel point is unlocked. Now you can just fast travel there!

There is nothing to do though until you complete the heist. While some quest markers appear on map, the actual quest never spawns and you will be stuck with your starter car (or a certain bike if you can find it). Random enemies will still be there though.

Huh, color me puzzled :D

So I'm not sure exactly what to say haha :LOL:
Like you, I tried a few tricks that didn't work then I just got the Free Fly mod on nexus and then you can simply go anywhere, the 'nothing out here' barriers and Watson lockdown ceased to be an issue with that; the only thing you cannot do though is then drive 'back' into Watson, but all the Travel points you visit anywhere become immediately usable

I first played way back on release day so might be mis-remembering but pretty sure I did a couple of side jobs and scanner hustles, I definitely did Woman From La Mancha early because that appears right where Dex drops you off and is very close to where you can grab the Ping quickhack in The Gift. I do remember feeling pushed along by a sense of urgency though - in a good way.

In subsequent playthroughs I completely clear Watson right after talking to Dex.

After the second run, I enjoy just ignoring the main quest and getting 20k eddies. The dialogue with the ripper doc is nice...sadly I am not sure if it changes more than one line.

...oh and the poor doc looks confused. Probably thinking to himself 'But you are not supposed to have this much money....now how am I going to appear to be your friend!?':)

I normally get between lvl 10 - 15 depending on what build im doing an gather some recipes like armadillo mod an some cash for a car because i cant be arsed with Del's mission most times or just send Jackie to Vic for his bike fast :p
this mostly clearing watson all over before even talking to dex at all. going into the heist with either quickhacks, mantis, mono or gorilla is way more fun. - but eh never send Jackie to Vic always to his familiy... how does the bike and iconcs turn out if u send him to vic instead? i thought arasaka gonna catch his body and all his stuff if u send him to vic?... tho i never tried personally ^^

this mostly clearing watson all over before even talking to dex at all. going into the heist with either quickhacks, mantis, mono or gorilla is way more fun. - but eh never send Jackie to Vic always to his familiy... how does the bike and iconcs turn out if u send him to vic instead? i thought arasaka gonna catch his body and all his stuff if u send him to vic?... tho i never tried personally ^^
I'll answer.

if you send him to Vik you can't get his bike or his Gun. Also you don't get the Heroes Mission. The only major change, apart from some extra dialogue with Vik and Takemura, is you get to meet Jackie once you get into Mikoshi. It's not much of a meeting though :(

thats what i was curious about because he said "or just send Jackie to Vic for his bike fast " - thought i missed smt here :p

Top Bottom