I just let Abigail die, and so should you

+
vivaxardas said:
The Reverend is responsible for the lives of the people of his town. What should he have done? There is a thought experiment we present in ethics classes. You are a town sheriff. Members of the gang were killed in your town, and the gang wants revenge. They offer you to surrender the murderers or they come and massacre everyone. Nobody knows who the murderers are, and it can't be discovered. You have two options: find some people in town, local undesirables, or people without families, or whatever, and give them up to be killed, or to refuse, and then the entire town will be massacred. It is a nature of this experiment that there are no other options. What is a right thing to do? Most students pick the first option. Sure, it suck, and really bad, but having everyone killed is even worse. It is better to sacrifice few lives, and preserve the rest.

The reverend was exactly in such situation. If he were to refuse, people would have been killed, and children taken anyway. Cooperation with the locals just made things simpler for salamandra, and they could have processed children gradually. Children would have been taken does not matter what the Reverend did. If morally more acceptable action is the one that created less pain, suffering, and loss of life (utilitarianism), the Revered did the right thing. If more morally acceptable is to do the right thing independent of the consequences, even if they are quite foreseeable and bring much greater harm (deontology), he should have refused, had people massacred and children taken anyway. Pick what you believe is a right thing to do. Nobody could prove which one is morally better, and I doubt ever will.

This is true only if you believe the Reverend had no viable alternative. But the Reverend is of the Order of the Flaming Rose. He could have called in soldiers of his Order to drive out Salamandra. Oh, wait. The Order is behind Salamandra.

It is easier for me to believe the Reverend is a Quisling, up to his arse in the conspiracy of the Order with Salamandra, than to believe he is an innocent leader caught without means to defend his village. I also don't think Geralt would have killed the Reverend except as he had to in self-defense.

vivaxardas said:
It came up when Geralt talked with salamandra bandits. They told Ilsa was a screamer, and such. Sure the Reverend knew about the hideout. He sent children because salamandra expected the tribute again, as they tell Geralt. The question is not what the Reverend knew, but whether he was coerced, or sold children voluntarily. It is obvious for me he was coerced.

Salamandra had patrons in high places, and nobody would have bothered what they were doing on the outskirts. Those peasants were on their own, which is pretty bad. Waht to blame somebody? Blame those who financed and used salamandra, and not a local priest bullied into submission.

Actually, the Reverend was always cranky and unhappy in general. Does not look like he was content with a situation in his village. That villagers found an easier target and projected their rage is not surprising, given how much they were victimized and lived in constant fear. And Abigail was a right target after all. They did not come after some girl just passing through.
Let's assume the Reverend sent children to the Salamandra out of fear, and Ilsa got raped by the Salamandra and not Mikul. Abigail did not have anything to do with children getting sent to Salamandra hideout, and she did not rape Ilsa. Salamandra raped Ilsa, Abigail just sold her the poison which she does not deny. Abigail didn't know Ilsa was going to kill herself with the poison, plus she wasn't the real cause of her suicide the rapists were.
Tell me why should she get burnt on the cross ?
She did not sell children to slavery, Reverend did for any reason he had wether noble or not. She did not rape Ilsa, the Salamandra or Mikul did, why should she pay for it ?

I let Abigail live, and so should you..

Vivax, I get your point, but I don't agree with it.

Firstly - noone from that fckin village has the right to judge her or even worse - to sentence her to death. IF she is really guilty, I don't have any right to leave her to mad crowd. I am really suprised, you hold this opinion - you always supported Nilfgaard as wise, highly developed and noble empire. And now you are fine with mad crowd in the role of judger?

Secondly - as I read your post, I am not convicted about her guilt. She sold poison - so what? Is she murderer because of that? - Definitely not! In the other case, you have to blame gun sellers for murders,.. Some doll also didn't convice me.

Thirdly - as far as I remember, Mikul was also guilty

Fourthly - I never support killing a woman, no matter, what she is, especially beautiful one (didn't you have sex with her? :) - just as a matter of interest ;) ) and especially sorceress.

Fifthly - I like those discussions. I hope you'll get this just as another case of our disagreement :) ..

Shawnkh said:
Let's assume the Reverend sent children to the Salamandra out of fear, and Ilsa got raped by the Salamandra and not Mikul. Abigail did not have anything to do with children getting sent to Salamandra hideout, and she did not rape Ilsa. Salamandra raped Ilsa, Abigail just sold her the poison which she does not deny. Abigail didn't know Ilsa was going to kill herself with the poison, plus she wasn't the real cause of her suicide the rapists were.
Tell me why should she get burnt on the cross ?
She did not sell children to slavery, Reverend did for any reason he had wether noble or not. She did not rape Ilsa, the Salamandra or Mikul did, why should she pay for it ?

It was not what she was accused of. She knowingly sold poison to people, and there is evidence she may be have influenced others to do bad things, and she lied to Geralt about Mikul, for example. So given what salamandra said it may be that she accused a man of rape for no reason. The beast was haunting her personally as well. The Beast appeared because of bad things, but she provide an ammunition for such things to be done. So it is not such a clear situation who is to blame more. Also Geralt stops lynching and demands a proper trial even if he chooses to side with the villagers.

There is as much evidence that the reverend is working for salamandra because he knows about the flaming rose plans as that Abigail is a priestess of a lionhead spider, and her activity with spells and poisons are related to human sacrifices to her god.

Shawnkh said:
I let Abigail live, and so should you..

Vivax, I get your point, but I don't agree with it.

Firstly - noone from that fckin village has the right to judge her or even worse - to sentence her to death. IF she is really guilty, I don't have any right to leave her to mad crowd. I am really suprised, you hold this opinion - you always supported Nilfgaard as wise, highly developed and noble empire. And now you are fine with mad crowd in the role of judger?

Geralt prohibits lynching even if we choose to side with the villagers. We are talking only about a proper trial to discover whether she is guilty or not. Letting her go is not really a due process for someone who sells poisons to people and falsely testifies about crimes committed by others.

vivaxardas said:
Geralt prohibits lynching even if we choose to side with the villagers. We are talking only about a proper trial to discover whether she is guilty or not. Letting her go is not really a due process for someone who sells poisons to people and falsely testifies about crimes committed by others.

Not so; Geralt did no more than extract a promise not to lynch her -- then the instant he left, they lynched her anyway. This is clear from the flashback, and it is also the case that Abigail is executed even if the Reverend, Odo, and Haren are wiped out, so it must have been done immediately.

There is no due process to be had in the Outskirts, and Geralt is well aware of this when he makes his decision. And better a thousand guilty should go free than one innocent be condemned.

vivaxardas said:
It was not what she was accused of. She knowingly sold poison to people, and there is evidence she may be have influenced ...
Sorry, "may be" is not any reason to let her die.

vivaxardas said:
Geralt prohibits lynching even if we choose to side with the villagers. We are talking only about a proper trial to discover whether she is guilty or not.
Name of this thread confused me a little :)

vivaxardas said:
Letting her go is not really a due process for someone who sells poisons to people and falsely testifies about crimes committed by others.
Letting her in the hands of mad crowd with that stupid priest in a lead is much worse. And you are too clever to think, there was chance for proper trial in there.
And false testify? If you really think that is so big deal, you should burn half of that village, or were they always honest?

One of the best thing in W1 was, that you could see somethimes if your acts was right or wrong. This quest is one of them. 'Outro' or how that pictures are called speaks quite clearly what was right.

guipit said:
Not to mention there were a group of children in the cave with them at the time haha.

Some villagers die but I remember the rich part of the village didn't have any corpses.

lol yes there were kids..This is also a time of utmost urgency and Abigail was so shady at that point.

So does it really make sense to have sex with an untrustworthy stranger somewhere in a cave , around children , while possibly being pursued by a mad crowd.

I wonder why CDP put the option in tbh lol

Alyza said:
lol yes there were kids..This is also a time of utmost urgency and Abigail was so shady at that point.

So does it really make sense to have sex with an untrustworthy stranger somewhere in a cave , around children , while possibly being pursued by a mad crowd.

I wonder why CDP put the option in tbh lol

she was desperate because she's an accessory and the odds are against her would be protector. It would've been better to have sex afterward maybe?

guipit said:
she was desperate because she's an accessory and the odds are against her would be protector. It would've been better to have sex afterward maybe?

Maybe, the timing is just odd/funny to me.If Geralt should ever help her, it should be for justice imo

She is not someone he should pursue for some benefit in that particular situation.Just my interpretation.

vivaxardas said:
First one, most obvious: why Geralt and everyone assumed that Mikul raped Ilsa??? We know that she poisoned herself, and that Abigail sold her the poison. When Mikul learned about it he was, it seems, sincerely upset. Salamandra guys openly told Geralt they gang-raped Ilsa outside the village. Alvin in trance also talked about gang-rape ("plow her well, show her that you are a man!") It seems that she killed herself after that, and instead of helping her to cope Abigail sold her a poison. So why exactly Geralt told the Reverend it was Mikul??? Just because Abigail told him so?

Odo killed his brother, but Abigail did have a doll of him, and, I wouldn't put past her that, as Odo told Geralt, she wanted to enthrall his brother, and when it failed, she bewitched him using his greed and hate to do the deed. So here it seems they both are equally guilty. At least there is not enough evidence to judge otherwise.

Haren traded with squirrels. So what? Geralt claims he sold one to city guards. How a hell did he learn it? There is nothing about it at all, except Haren telling him it was possible to do. And why does it even matter to Geralt who may be just offed four squirrels himself?

About salamandra: they terrorized the village, and it is pretty obvious they made the villagers to do what they ordered. They themselves told that children (and probably goods from Haren as well) were a tribute, and Reverend had to do it. Why could anyone blame peasants for not standing up to the armed gang (and be massacred in the process), given that salamandra demonstrated they were not joking around?

I know, peasants are really ugly and not exactly lovable, while Abigail is good looking. They all are guilty, but is it really worth it to save her and have the entire village, including every man, woman, and child, exterminated?

Good points but hardly cast iron.

1, Ilsa's rape. Mikul showed remorse and Salamandra raped her, but this doesn't mean that Mikul wasn't part of it, many villains show remorse or hide behind excuses such as addiction or other bullshit. After all he sells out the Witcher on trumped up charges for some reason, most likely because the Wolf knew of his crimes, and the village women all speak of him being a sexual predator. Alvin's visions sound like he was trying to prove himself to the Salamandra. Poisons can be used for vermin or as restoratives in small doses, Abigail cannot be blamed for what a woman does with the wares she sells.

2, Odo's murder. Odo stands to gain from this murder, Abigail did not and does not, she's still in the same position as before, an outcast loner shunned by all except those who can't afford a whore. So why would she do it? As a spurned lover of Odo's brother, in collusion to murder him? Then why hate and pursue Odo who has done as she asked? Because of him not sharing his brothers wealth? No this is too complicated, the simplest answer is usually the right one as criminals are stupid and Abigail is not.

Lastly the Echinopsae thirsting for vengeance rose up on Odo's land, probably where he buried his brother as the mourning dog indicates, not on Abigail's property. It seems quite plain to me that Odo did it.

3, Haren traded with and betrayed the Squirrels, this seems obvious. Zoltan was not assaulted for no reason outside Haren's house, the Dwarf was looking for his friend who had mysteriously disappeared here. It's obvious that Haren is profiteering and selling out his customers to the guards to double his profit, you see many subtle references to this throughout the game. Of course it's not Geralt's place to judge, but it was the Beast's and Haren cannot call himself innocent of his crimes which do not involve Abigail at all.

I've often wondered whether this was a cancelled quest, as it seems to pop up with Vivaldi again in Act 2.

4, Salamandra. Anybody who sells their own children to guarantee themselves peace is a fucking coward and evil, the peasants of the Outskirts did not need to collaborate with Salamandra, they did not need to portray themselves as goodly and vice free despite being gamblers and adulterers, they could have called on Vizima's guard, the Order, the Mercenaries at the Inn or formed their own militia. They chose to give up their children and that damned them.

Now i'm not saying Abigail was completely innocent, she most likely summoned the Beast (probably when a curse on the villagers got out of hand) and was involved in the numerous distasteful duplicities in the Outskirts, but she was not guilty of the villagers crimes and should not be punished for their weak and evil actions. I'd stand up for her again, never mind the fact that she was judged innocent by the healer of Murky Waters, as it's the right thing to do. The Beast would have had no power in the Outskirts were it not for the villagers own deeds.

Gave you +1 as somebody had downvoted you, I think you make a good argument however, and your choice is perfectly valid for your vision of Geralt.

There are good reasons to distrust Abigail and I also wasn't sure what to decide. For one second!

Let's see, on the one side we have a village full of bigoted, xenophobic and cheating people and on the other side we have a single woman, made responsible by the villagers for every single trifle that pesters their lives.

Of course she isn't an angel, you can blame her for many things but the fact remains, you can't prove her guilt for anything besides she sold the poison to Ilsa. At least she would deserve a fair court but I really don't believe the angry mob would grant her this right.

Mikul is a damn bastard. Why would he know, it was Ilsa you found in the crypt? You didn't describe her to him, didn't you? Watch the village people speaking about him. They even call him a bastard and a woman chaser. (though you have to be lucky to hear it, it's a small chance to get this conversation)
He's just a coward and a rat and it's a shame he didn't get what he deserves.

Why should Abigail force Haren to trade with the Sqirrels? There is no hint she has a connection to them. He's just a greedy, xenophobic as...ole (look at his literature).

The reverend is lying to you every time he opens his mouth. The first thing he does to the boy is changing his attitude towards Abigail, so he speaks of her like of a monster. His behavior shows no sign of remorse or clemency. He could have asked Geralt for help with Salamandra but it didn't seem to have crossed his mind.

Odo is a mystery and possibly part of cut out quest. All we know is that he killed his brother. Why Abigail should be behind this is unclear. Odo got all the money, so what is the motive for her?

And besides, what kind of village is this? The three most influential people are criminals, rapers and drunkards.
If this would have been an open world game, Geralt wouldn't be known only as Butcher of Blaviken.

What is wrong with the meat from the Stall-keeper at the Maribor Gate Bridge?

Ive never been a fan of how the game tells you later on that Abigail was innocent, takes away from the ambiguity of the choice. The peasants present some pretty convincing arguments that she is guilty.
One thing that's always confused me. Did the Beast really kill all the villagers? I thought it was just the Lynch mob. Shani, Kalkstein and the Royal huntsman were all present in the village, but we see them later on. Also it makes me really sad to think that Vesna would have died!

Ive never been a fan of how the game tells you later on that Abigail was innocent, takes away from the ambiguity of the choice. The peasants present some pretty convincing arguments that she is guilty.
One thing that's always confused me. Did the Beast really kill all the villagers? I thought it was just the Lynch mob. Shani, Kalkstein and the Royal huntsman were all present in the village, but we see them later on. Also it makes me really sad to think that Vesna would have died!

Vesna was in Vizima Outskirts, part of the City. The inhabitants, including Vesna's Granny, are all still well*, and you can talk with them on your way to the Gate.
(*Except the Reverend, and Haren obviously).

The Inn was cleared by Salamandra, and the buildings past Abigail's house were always abandoned.
On the main route from Abigail to The Outskirts, the villagers were all killed. They seem to have been the lynch mob, while the Townsfolk were more just, and not therefore affected.
It could be that the Beast and the Barghests arose at the church/town shrine and advanced on Geralt from there, or that additional Barghests hunted down the guilty from the location of the fight near the caves, with those participating on the streets all dying.

It is certain that Mikul was lucky to have survived, but oddly no comment is made about this... Odious twerp.
I didn't check the welfare of the river dwellers at Haren's hamlet, but they may have come along for the lynching... anyone know if they are still alive post-conflict?

Abigail is not innocent. She's as guilty as the villagers are. If not for anything else, then at least for helping them carry out their deeds. If you read Berengar's notes on the Beast, they say:

"Fourth night: all features of Alzur's Demon confirmed. The Beast asks a question, those who answer correctly stand a chance of slaying it."

The Beast's question is who is guilty. No matter the player's answer, you can kill it. Thus the answer was correct, meaning that Abigail is among the guilty.

Interesting, I had completely forgotten about that, been a while since I played the first Witcher. I wonder then who the innocent the witch in Murky Waters is referring too if you kill Abigail.

Well Abigail is an adept onf the Lion Spider cult and Odo's doll in her hut is an undoubtful hint about what her activity is. She may not be responsible for all the Outskirts people sins and murders, but she definetely played a role in them. Then it's up to you to decide how much guilty Abigail is.
I, for example, decided that she wan't enough to let her burn by the hand of a fanatic hypocrite misoginistic blood thirsty mob :)

Interesting, I had completely forgotten about that, been a while since I played the first Witcher. I wonder then who the innocent the witch in Murky Waters is referring too if you kill Abigail.

It's kinda tricky, but it refers to Abigail, especially when you meet her again in the Icy Plain. Game is saying that if you decided to let her dying, than she was the less guilty among the people in Chp 1. If you save her, then you should know that she wasn't exactly innocent.
At least this is what I got from it.

Last edited:
Seriously, the fact that if you choose to let Abigail live, the village leading priest pretty much saying all women are evil and should be kept in check is enough reason for me to be content with my choice of siding against him.

... although, maybe he does have a point.:halt:

I'm gonna write this, Idk if it was mentioned before or not. Odo is a drunk man and not a trustworthy one, he even tried to cheat you "geralt". He wanted money, and that's what he might have got after killing the knight, his brother. If I remember correctly he tells you that he "hates" knighthood and knights. Also, when you go to him the first time he gets frightened and tells you why are you armed, I have nothing worth stealing. So, idk there is something suspicious about him I can't 100% trust him.

-Mikul also was not really "your, honest friendly man" he knew that he would lead you to prison but tried to exploit you a little by telling you to go kill some monsters in a crypt then letting you somehow see Ilsa and assume that is Abigail's doing because of the poison's bottle.

The priest is not in any sense forgiving, he was cruel to his daughter Carmin, when she got out with a guy, I think she was pregnant,too. He exiled her from the village and that how she became a whore.

Harren deals with illegal shit and his stuff was found in one of Salmandra's hideout. If I remember well. He somehow plays on both the elves and salmandra, also the guards selling them some elves.

And one thing is Abigail, she is not that innocent either..I know it is not her job how people use the things they buy themselves and by their choice either harmful or not. But somehow that old man who was lying sick in front of her house, if he wanted some "fanciful" things and she couldn't do it to him.. why she treated him badly? Plus, when she says that they call her a whore, she willingly was giving in herself to Geralt when they were alone in the cave. Plus, the doll has something more to it.

But Harren, mikul and odo all of them are at the end, in some way connected and have a close relationship with this priest so I think their cause brought them together to think of many evil ways to judge her. Because she is a witch and probably knew their connection to salmandra either by conventional means or magic!

On the other hand, Abigial owns the doll, the poison as one of her many potions, and her behavior to that old man and to geralt in the cave against her.
But all of those 3 combined? Harren is a thug selling illegal stuff, Mikul let alone the possibility of raping Ilsa, he let criminals pass while he knew exactly that they are criminals > because he was no better than them. And wanted to exploit you before leading you "the innocent" to prison, and probably that "clean the crypt or the road" is a lie. How it is planned that somehow at the same time he tells you to go there.. his woman was dying there in the same place his commander told him to go to. I think it is not a coincidence. Odo is a drunken coward who is a cheating mess and so greedy that he even directly wanted to cheat on you by giving you drinks and pretending so how he can be trusted? and also while drunk he kind of spilled somethings that he "detests soldiers" . The priest was no innocent and probably did have something to do with the selling of the children to some Salmandra bandit because he was with them? or was afraid of them and that used to cover his true intentions? let alone his attitude towards women in general to the witch and his daughter. And yeah his connection to those criminals and salmandra I think not just a chance too. He wanted you only to solve those guys' problems but picked up specifically criminals that have one thing in common is to judge the witch. So, I guess that's why I sided with Abigail several times. :) well, one thing we can't be 100% sure.

I just let Abigail die, and so should you

Hello everybody, on this beautiful morning/day/evening!

Yesterday I tried to find on youtube a video where Geralt let Abigail die, and I couldn't. It seems that there is a unanimous agreement about this matter, and to be honest, I fail to see why. Let's go through "bad villagers and their crimes", one by one.

First one, most obvious: why Geralt and everyone assumed that Mikul raped Ilsa??? We know that she poisoned herself, and that Abigail sold her the poison. When Mikul learned about it he was, it seems, sincerely upset. Salamandra guys openly told Geralt they gang-raped Ilsa outside the village. Alvin in trance also talked about gang-rape ("plow her well, show her that you are a man!") It seems that she killed herself after that, and instead of helping her to cope Abigail sold her a poison. So why exactly Geralt told the Reverend it was Mikul??? Just because Abigail told him so?

Odo killed his brother, but Abigail did have a doll of him, and, I wouldn't put past her that, as Odo told Geralt, she wanted to enthrall his brother, and when it failed, she bewitched him using his greed and hate to do the deed. So here it seems they both are equally guilty. At least there is not enough evidence to judge otherwise.

Haren traded with squirrels. So what? Geralt claims he sold one to city guards. How a hell did he learn it? There is nothing about it at all, except Haren telling him it was possible to do. And why does it even matter to Geralt who may be just offed four squirrels himself?

About salamandra: they terrorized the village, and it is pretty obvious they made the villagers to do what they ordered. They themselves told that children (and probably goods from Haren as well) were a tribute, and Reverend had to do it. Why could anyone blame peasants for not standing up to the armed gang (and be massacred in the process), given that salamandra demonstrated they were not joking around?

As I see it peasants were fu*ed. They were terrorized by the bandits who stole their children and raped their women, and they couldn't get rid of the witch who used this disaster, and people's dark desires to harm them. What really turned me against Abigail is that she cursed Geralt if he refuses to save her. Nobody appointed him a judge, and he does not have any obligation to her. As I see it, the Beast haunts Abigail for a good reason. So yesterday I just said - screw it, I am out of here!

I know, peasants are really ugly and not exactly lovable, while Abigail is good looking. They all are guilty, but is it really worth it to save her and have the entire village, including every man, woman, and child, exterminated?

Not entirely relevant, but im new, so I cant make my own post for the moment it says. I have a question regarding to this quest tho:

After I killed The Revertend, I was walking towards the gates of vizima. Suddenly I saw the royal huntsman fighting with Odo, and them he slays him. Why did the city huntsman kill Odo? How dose that make sense???? Im really curiose about this! Dose anyone have a good answer???????

Top Bottom