To anyone still in doubt: CDPR said they'll continue working on the game, so it can sell for years

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big Witcher fan. I started following news of the game in 2003-2004. I still remember (and possibly I've also saved somewhere on some DVD) the first concept art of the Witcher released a few years before the game went on sale. I even preordered it. So I was a big CDPR supporter. Second game was somehow a letdown but didn't erode my trust in CDPR. Spent hundred of hours with the third installment and I've also some hundred hours under the clock with CP2007. But, honestly, I don't see myself going to be hyped by any news coming from CDPR nor by any future game by them.

The management of the game development, the business decisions taken, the undelivered promises, the over-hyped and embellished previews and last the lack of quality and polishing in the game have totally ruined CDPR reputation in my eyes. There was a lot of potential in the game but the broken gameplay mechanics and all the bugs/glitches (sometimes too BIG to have passed unnoticed) have convinced me that the CDPR studio I respected is now gone. I hope the people who made CDPR the studio which was able to develop the Witcher games find an opportunity to start anew, like the STALKER veterans who left GSC later founded 4A Games and went on to create the very good Metro games.

Last edited:
Company is still standing at over 1000. Work on CP2077 and Gwent continues apace. Updates for TW3 on next gen, CP on next gen, and Cyberpunk stuff in general is rolling. News on stuff will arrive when it arrives.

I find it fascinating that so many people don't remember the rather steep, uphill battle that needed to be fought with TW3. The game may have held more of a following and maybe more mass-appeal, overall (primarily because the whole world was surfing the Game of Thrones / high fantasy tidal wave), but there were still significant bugs in the game for a period of about two years after launch that would prevent progress, corrupt saves, crash the game, etc. And yes, it was probably about this severe. I had to restart my first TW3 playthrough at least 4 times before I was able to get all the way to the end.

And the same has been true for every, major, RPG title ever released:
  • Skyrim was the first Bethesda title I was actually able to play to completion without a game-breaking bug corrupting my save. Issues in Beth titles were so traditionally prevalent and ongoing, that I mostly expected not to really play any of their games for at least 2-3 years following release.
  • Dragon Age: Origins wouldn't launch for me at release.
  • Mass Effect 1 had so many sound stutters and so much texture pop-in that I uninstalled it and simply tried to play it again after the first DLC came out (and it still had bugs).
  • Divinity Original Sin had some major issues with controls, graphics, and crashing. Ended up completely restarting twice because patches created issues with my playthroughs that could not be rectified and I didn't want to compromise with.
  • Pillars of Eternity has lingering bugs that lock up the interface during combat to this day. (Highly playable at release, I'll give them that! But balance issues or skills that simply did not work as described were through the roof.)
  • Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning released as a light remaster to a game that's nearly 10 years old now, and there are graphical bugs, performance issues, animation and sound errors, save file corruption, control issues...
  • Troika Games produced Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil, both really engaging games, that remain utterly riddled with bugs to this day.
  • The original Deus Ex was not only unstable and peppered with bugs of all sorts, from control issues to AI locking up to dialogue hanging the game, but it had a memory leak that would steadily degrade performance. After ~20 minutes of gameplay, you would be at around 20 FPS on a really powerful rig. That bug lasted for around 3 years, I think.
  • I can go back to the original release of Baldur's Gate -- performance issues, flickering graphics, purple or black water, a certain pathway for the tutorial winding up in an endless loop...
  • I can go further back to Ultima VII, and the nearly full month it took me to figure out how to configure Origin's "Voodoo memory manager" to work on my 486.
  • I can go even further back than that and talk about Darklands. A PC game I bought when I was in high school, and the first time I actually got it to run well enough to actually play it was something like 10 years later, after a CD release. Still suffered from game-breaking issues until an unofficial patch rectified a lot of things.
  • I can go even further back and talk about the fun of getting D&D Goldbox titles to avoid hanging or crashing on my C64. And that was before you could save where you wanted. Only at certain points. Run into a line of code the computer couldn't process at that moment...and whack: out-of-memory error, instruction not recognized, etc.
Let me now try to think of in-depth RPGs that I've played that worked really well out-of-the-box:
  • Betrayal at Krondor. I think I only hit a few problems with that from beginning to end.
  • Neverwinter Nights 1 had only little things. Gameplay plugged right along.
  • Icewind Dale 2 looked really good and worked really well -- I remember that clearly.
  • Diablo 2, while not much of an RPG, had so many mechanics and so much content for that time that I think it's fair to include it here as well.
Nothing else really comes to mind, though I could make the list of games that experienced significant if not crippling issues much, much, much longer. And they pretty much all took years to fix up.

This is part and parcel of complex RPGs. And yet, I really enjoyed all of the games I list above. I didn't list any I disliked. (Temple of Elemental Evil is close, though. Man, that game was grindy and frustrating in places.)

By contrast, I had some initial issues (about 5 days) with CP2077. Upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, and that was the end of the crashing. Played my first V to completion without any major issues. Agree that traffic and AI can be quite janky. Had some graphical glitches here and there. Nothing big. Performance was fairly solid, locked in with a 56 FPS cap at full Ultra (Ray-Tracing off). Main quest was really intriguing, loved the characters, combat was fun if a bit simple, and the visualization of the world is utterly fantastic. Can't wait to see what they add next!

Last edited:
@SigilFey : the only RPG (JRPG) i know of that had no bugs or serious issues throughout is the Xenoblade series.
These were technically well constructed games that do great justice to the genre. But they are I suppose an acquired taste at the same time.

@SigilFey : the only RPG (JRPG) i know of that had no bugs or serious issues throughout is the Xenoblade series.
These were technically well constructed games that do great justice to the genre. But they are I suppose an acquired taste at the same time.

I could not play the PC version of Final Fantasy VII for about 1 year after release. Severe performance issues and crashing. Saves would simply hang the game. Graphics could be all over the place after the screen switched resolution to play a cinematic, then tried to switch back to your desired gameplay resolution.

Dragon's Dogma, another J(Action)RPG I looooooooove was a flippin' unplayable mess at release. Performance issues and lighting issues were extremely bad. Took several months for patches to remedy it.

Dark Souls on PC was a disaster at launch. (I also find it hilarious that there was a fan-patch released before the official game actually launched.)

Many JRPGs are developed for console systems, as well, which offers its own challenges but ensures that the operating environment is both well established and better framed. (Fewer potential bumps to trip over along the road.) This will not be the case when developing on PC and/or multiple different consoles.

Company is still standing at over 1000. Work on CP2077 and Gwent continues apace. Updates for TW3 on next gen, CP on next gen, and Cyberpunk stuff in general is rolling. News on stuff will arrive when it arrives.

I find it fascinating that so many people don't remember the rather steep, uphill battle that needed to be fought with TW3. The game may have held more of a following and maybe more mass-appeal, overall (primarily because the whole world was surfing the Game of Thrones / high fantasy tidal wave), but there were still significant bugs in the game for a period of about two years after launch that would prevent progress, corrupt saves, crash the game, etc. And yes, it was probably about this severe. I had to restart my first TW3 playthrough at least 4 times before I was able to get all the way to the end.

• Skyrim was the first Bethesda title I was actually able to play to completion without a game-breaking bug corrupting my save. Issues in Beth titles were so traditionally prevalent and ongoing, that I mostly expected not to really play any of their games for at least 2-3 years following release.
  • Mass Effect 1 had so many sound stutters and so much texture pop-in that I uninstalled it and simply tried to play it again after the first DLC came out (and it still had bugs).
  • Divinity Original Sin had some major issues with controls, graphics, and crashing. Ended up completely restarting twice because patches created issues with my playthroughs that could not be rectified and I didn't want to compromise with.
  • Pillars of Eternity has lingering bugs that lock up the interface during combat to this day. (Highly playable at release, I'll give them that! But balance issues or skills that simply did not work as described were through the roof.)
  • Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning released as a light remaster to a game that's nearly 10 years old now, and there are graphical bugs, performance issues, animation and sound errors, save file corruption, control issues...
  • Troika Games produced Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil, both really engaging games, that remain utterly riddled with bugs to this day.
  • The original Deus Ex was not only unstable and peppered with bugs of all sorts, from control issues to AI locking up to dialogue hanging the game, but it had a memory leak that would steadily degrade performance. After ~20 minutes of gameplay, you would be at around 20 FPS on a really powerful rig. That bug lasted for around 3 years, I think.
  • I can go back to the original release of Baldur's Gate -- performance issues, flickering graphics, purple or black water, a certain pathway for the tutorial winding up in an endless loop...
  • I can go further back to Ultima VII, and the nearly full month it took me to figure out how to configure Origin's "Voodoo memory manager" to work on my 486.
  • I can go even further back than that and talk about Darklands. A PC game I bought when I was in high school, and the first time I actually got it to run well enough to actually play it was something like 10 years later, after a CD release. Still suffered from game-breaking issues until an unofficial patch rectified a lot of things.
  • I can go even further back and talk about the fun of getting D&D Goldbox titles to avoid hanging or crashing on my C64. And that was before you could save where you wanted. Only at certain points. Run into a line of code the computer couldn't process at that moment...and whack: out-of-memory error, instruction not recognized, etc.
Let me now try to think of in-depth RPGs that I've played that worked really well out-of-the-box:
  • Betrayal at Krondor. I think I only hit a few problems with that from beginning to end.
  • Icewind Dale 2 looked really good and worked really well -- I remember that clearly.
  • Diablo 2, while not much of an RPG, had so many mechanics and so much content for that time that I think it's fair to include it here as well.
Nothing else really comes to mind, though I could make the list of games that experienced significant if not crippling issues much, much, much longer. And they pretty much all took years to fix up.

This is part and parcel of complex RPGs. And yet, I really enjoyed all of the games I list above. I didn't list any I disliked. (Temple of Elemental Evil is close, though. Man, that game was grindy and frustrating in places.)

By contrast, I had some initial issues (about 5 days) with CP2077. Upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, and that was the end of the crashing. Played my first V to completion without any major issues. Agree that traffic and AI can be quite janky. Had some graphical glitches here and there. Nothing big. Performance was fairly solid, locked in with a 56 FPS cap at full Ultra (Ray-Tracing off). Main quest was really intriguing, loved the characters, combat was fun if a bit simple, and the visualization of the world is utterly fantastic. Can't wait to see what they add next!
Your right of course, things have moved on from the days of a three hour 5 disc floppy install only to find that it's corrupted or your sound card is on the wrong irq. Playing games on a computer has always required a little bit more ingenuity, I don't know what the market share is between PC and console but as @SigilFey said about jrpg console development, consoles are less varied, and console gamers are not used to games that are unplayable at launch.

The challenge for CDPR is that the majority of those console gamers who watched Pewdiepie laughing at T-poses aren't on this forum, won't be following the press releases and if they're on ps unless they bought a physical copy have no access to it.

I have no doubt that CDPR are doing everything they can to make the game function as intended or that they will continue to develop content.
How are they to overcome the current meme laden reputation of the game? Especially when many vocal journalists, content creators and consumers rightly or wrongly feel they were duped by the hype pre launch.

You mean the history how they released Witcher 1, fixed Witcher 1, released Witcher 2, fixed Witcher 2 and ended up releasing Witcher 3 and kept fixing Witcher 3, which sells to this day?

Then I agree, actions speak louder than words.
ironicly for now - facing CP - their words were way louder than their actions hmm...
Post automatically merged:

Many JRPGs are developed for console systems, as well, which offers its own challenges but ensures that the operating environment is both well established and better framed. (Fewer potential bumps to trip over along the road.) This will not be the case when developing on PC and/or multiple different consoles.

this is why the console community had hard time to accept CP77s current status... im playing rpgs / action adventures over ten years for now on consoles. not a single one ever had any issues like CP has. They are all more or less flawless Final Fantasy Series, NieR, Tales of, Horizon, Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Uncharted - they all come with great stories, characters and artwork - u never ever have to think about performance or major bugs, just about if you like the concept and/or story at all. I feel sad that on PC games seem like Betas all over the place on release and maybe PC gamer got used to it and the following patching/hotfixing cycles. But on consoles that wasnt a thing and mainly a reason why people play on these plattforms instead of PCs at all. Bringing this situation to console plattforms like Ubisoft did/does with every new game they release or now CDPR... is just sad und hard to except... at least for me : /

console players life was easy: take the controller sink into the games story and mood - simply enjoy and have fun. No need to handle hardware, settings, bugs, mods, patches, fixes, discussions, excuses, etc. - but lately this life has changed more and more... not just in CP tho. : /

Last edited:

See there's a difference between TW, TW2, TW3, and cyberpunk, but you're also not wrong in your statement. Basically you have 3 camps or so for cyberpunk, where in the TW3 you only have 1 camp really at the beginning.

TW3 was buggy but was a great game out of the box, just painful to play with all the bugs. It's DLC just made a great game better, and it allowed CDPR to just concentrate on bug fixes. Also the bugs weren't nearly as bad as Cyberpunks were. I don't remember TW3 being pulled from certain stores do to horrible playability.

CP2077 has three basic schools of though, though 2 are related.

The first school, we'll call it the TW3 school, is that it's buggy as hell but it's a great game. Once the bugs are fixed i'll be a top of the line game again.

The second group, or the Fallout 4 group, is it's an average or slightly above average game and buggy as hell. Bugs fixes will fix some of this, but overall it's a disappointment, but can be fixed with mods or DLCs that change/add content that was shown in demos. I call this the FO4 group because FO4 isn't played to this day due to it's great base game, it's played to this day due to people modding the hell out of it. This is the group I hope to stay in.

The third group is that the game is a piece of trash and can't be saved.

CDPR's problem isn't with the TW3 group. They'll back the game up to hell and high water no matter what they do. At worst they'll slide to the FO4 group. CDPR's problem isn't with the third group. Nothing they do will bring them back to the game or probably their future products

Their problem is with the FO4 group. Listening to reviews and conversations this is probably the biggest group overall, and CDPR's actions move this group back and fourth between the second and third groups right now on a sliding scale. What they need to do is get them to slide closer to the TW3 group, but they haven't done anything that does that. Future may fix this, sure, but the longer they wait, the more this group is putting down the game, and never picking it up again, and leaving with a bad taste in their mouth. No amount of bug fixes will fix this, they need "better" content.

The thing with TW and the TW2 isn't that they are great game. They're great foundations but not great games. They're bought to this day because they're packaged in with TW3 and everyone wants to play TW3.

Is CP2077 ever going to be a game of the year? No. Lets be honest, no. Can it be a foundation though for future IPs in the universe? Yes, but to do that they need to do something that'll bring back fans to the game and make them want to play it.

Right now they've shown none of that promise. Investors are bailing for the same reason, they're not seeing a reason to keep their money in CDPR because they're not seeing any return from what is promised. That's a problem. You can have 1000 employees all the great ideas, but when your stocks tank to the lowest they've ever been, you've got a wound that needs to be plugged, else you lose all your money for future IPs.

That's why CDPR needs to put out something, anything. Screw the players, we're not important right now. They need to attract investors or keep the investors they have, and they're not doing that.

Last edited:
God damn, I don't know which group I belong to :(
I play TW3 and i love it.
I play FO4 (with mods) and i love it.
I play CP and i "really" love it.
Sorry for the off-topic, i go out :D

Edit: Maybe i'm alone in a 4th group : those who are satisfied with the games that devs provide (with their flaws and strengths). In life we don't always have what we want.

Last edited:
There may be a 4th school of thought for folks like me that have never played TW3 or FO4 and have no way to compare.
It doesn't seem that buggy to me and I'm enjoying the game a lot and glad I tried it. There are some features I hope they add in future DLC's or patches.
I need to get FO4 and TW3 and check those out as well.

I need to get FO4 and TW3 and check those out as well.
i dont think its about those titles exactly - its more everyone compares cp to the games they know and like best. deus ex, division, watchdogs and gta are also named more than once if it comes to feature, mechanics or ai comparison. for storytelling, character and artwork even more could come into conclusion. : / - i for myself noticed that pc player took way different games for comparison than console player do - yet alone in the rpg genre overall.

The thing with TW and the TW2 isn't that they are great game.
The first Witcher was a GREAT adventure, a textbook example of choice and consequences done right. The order and the method through which certain quests were solved rippled throughout the whole world, and sometimes had indirect repercussions. it's incredible how much agency a pre-made character like Geralt had in contrast with V (a blank slate character even!), who mostly faces only some binary choices that doesn't seem to matter once a gig is over.

Last edited:

"And yes, it was probably about this severe."

Saying Witcher 3 was a buggy as Cyberpunk 2077 at launch is like saying Fallout 76 was a buggy as Fallout 4 at launch.
Fallout 76 and Cyberpunk 2077 have set a new record when it comes to a game being broken, unplayable, unoptimized, unfinished far surpassing any previous records.
This is what i encountered.
-flatline error could not launch the game
-save game bug
-takamura bug
-animation glitches - t posing
-facial asychronities
-clipping,genitals clipping through clothing
-textures not loading,texture popping, flickering,
-frequent crashes
-very bad performance sub 20 FPS(even below 10 fps)
-performance going down with gameplay time
-bugged implementation of SSR making the game grainy
-very blurry TAA implementation
-during cutscenes assets on characters would load considerably late
-NPCs look like abstract paintings
-car on crashes or touch would get stuck in the car it crashed into
-falling into the map frequently
-car would flip when touching a NPC (sometimes with NPC attached to car)
-cars going frequently through solid objects and getting "stripped for parts in the process"
- cars and NPCs falling out of the sky
-T pose while driving
-car or motorcycle getting stuck with me in objects
-NPCS and objects rotating in mid air
-quest NPCs moving weirdly from left and right or getting stuck unable to continue
- shadow glitches seeing them but no objects or NPCs
-seeing my eyeballs in front of me while driving
-while shooting gun becomes invisible
-Jackie is walking through walls, his guns go missing, takes this weirds poses while in mission and talking, floating above ground or motorcycle,
-no fall damage or damage for no apparent reason
-car getting stuck in mid air
-headless V, NPCS
-flying hundreds of meters in air vertically while crashing on bike instead of going foward
-parts of the world despawning and spawning again
-car going in circle on the road for no apaarent reason
-NPCs floating on the crossroad or side of the road instead of walking or walking in mid air
-weird things happening with object and NPCS in a emotional, cool scene and ruining the immersion.
-option to open door of car or door while on mission is absent making it unable to continue
-weather is bugged, mostly raining
-brainded AI and broken perks
-bad driving when using fast cars
-broken police system
-seeing cars and NPCs despawning in distance
-lip sync broken
And this if of course just a part.

Things are worse because not only these bugs were present many were frequent making the gameplay annoying and breaking immersion.
Together with bad performance and missing things and mediocre looter shooter mechanics, empty world, broken systems, weak RPGs mechanics gives a rather sour taste in ones mouth after all the hype and big promises.

Last edited:
I'm worried that the extra content will be just another half empty promise. Surely not all 500+ people in the studio are working on patches right now (this would be a job mostly for coders and level/mission designers). Four and a half months later all we have is a handful of patches. By contrast The Witcher 3 (smaller studio back then) had many free DLCs released in this period and the first expansion came on the market exactly 5 months after its debut. Patching the game is imperative. But to really show commitment, they have to do more than that.

"And yes, it was probably about this severe."

Saying Witcher 3 was a buggy as Cyberpunk 2077 at launch is like saying Fallout 76 was a buggy as Fallout 4 at launch.
Fallout 76 and Cyberpunk 2077 have set a new record when it comes to a game being broken, unplayable, unoptimized, unfinished far surpassing any previous records.
This is what i encountered.
-flatline error could not launch the game
-save game bug
-takamura bug
-animation glitches - t posing
-facial asychronities
-clipping,genitals clipping through clothing
-textures not loading,texture popping, flickering,
-frequent crashes
-very bad performance sub 20 FPS(even below 10 fps)
-performance going down with gameplay time
-bugged implementation of SSR making the game grainy
-very blurry TAA implementation
-during cutscenes assets on characters would load considerably late
-NPCs look like abstract paintings
-car on crashes or touch would get stuck in the car it crashed into
-falling into the map frequently
-car would flip when touching a NPC (sometimes with NPC attached to car)
-cars going frequently through solid objects and getting "stripped for parts in the process"
- cars and NPCs falling out of the sky
-T pose while driving
-car or motorcycle getting stuck with me in objects
-NPCS and objects rotating in mid air
-quest NPCs moving weirdly from left and right or getting stuck unable to continue
- shadow glitches seeing them but no objects or NPCs
-seeing my eyeballs in front of me while driving
-while shooting gun becomes invisible
-Jackie is walking through walls, his guns go missing, takes this weirds poses while in mission and talking, floating above ground or motorcycle,
-no fall damage or damage for no apparent reason
-car getting stuck in mid air
-headless V, NPCS
-flying hundreds of meters in air vertically while crashing on bike instead of going foward
-parts of the world despawning and spawning again
-car going in circle on the road for no apaarent reason
-NPCs floating on the crossroad or side of the road instead of walking or walking in mid air
-weird things happening with object and NPCS in a emotional, cool scene and ruining the immersion.
-option to open door of car or door while on mission is absent making it unable to continue
-weather is bugged, mostly raining
-brainded AI and broken perks
-bad driving when using fast cars
-broken police system
-seeing cars and NPCs despawning in distance
-lip sync broken
And this if of course just a part.

Things are worse because not only these bugs were present many were frequent making the gameplay annoying and breaking immersion.
Together with bad performance and missing things and mediocre looter shooter mechanics, empty world, broken systems, weak RPGs mechanics gives a rather sour taste in ones mouth after all the hype and big promises.
Are you this guy? 🠗
1618675133922.png

Because reading posts like yours (over and over) I can't help it but every time I'm start hearing this tune.

Are you sure your rig is meet minimum criteria? Most of your mentioned problems are due to streaming engine not being able to finish it's job in time. So it may be a hardware (or whatever) issue on your side. Who to blame here?

P.S. I do not want to offend anyone. But it's getting just ridiculous.
P.P.S. I admit, even in the current state CP2k77 has problems, but I (apparently) was lucky not to come across almost anything from the list.

Last edited:
Source:

So i commit to keep watching this game for years and perhaps purchase all the following dlcs if they manage to fix what in my opinion are the major flaws of the base game.

They're focusing on their two IP's, The Witcher and Cyberpunk, so the two new games are The Witcher and Cyberpunk sequels or spin-offs extrapolating from the info available.

There's no indication of a third IP as of yet which is why they would want the Cyberpunk IP to be refreshed before they continue working on it, the only way I can see that working is their famous approach to Enhanced Editions which is what I foresee in this game's future.
I think there can be third IP in future.
I hope they do something about the different gangs that operate in Night city. I wish they be joinable factions with their own questlines. Similar to different factions in New Vegas. The lore of different gangs operating in night city is so good....but right now it feels like wasted potential as we can't join them, This felt like a good opportunity lost.

It was said 1000s times you won't be able to join gangs. Ok., there was some leak, that story will be similar to New Vegas, but it was untrue. Faction system is outdated mechanic, not worked in Fallout 4 as it should. Won't work in future games, heavy on story, because it's not interesting (it wasn't fun in New Vegas also). Gangs are puppets of corporations, why V should join them? It's like asking why V can't join Militech, Biotechnica, Arasaka (excluding ending)? It's nonsense.
On other hand after watching all these gangs doing atrocities around Night City, I'm not sure why anyone would join them.

On other hand after watching all these gangs doing atrocities around Night City, I'm not sure why anyone would join them.
Also why they could want to help me ?
Aside from Brick or Gustavo Ortas, I'm not sure they like me enough to fight by my side :D
(things often go wrong during our meetings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom