GWENT: Community Q&A Thread - Ask Your Questions Here

+
Hi everyone. I had no idea where to post this, so I am trying my luck here. I am new to the game (started today) and I wondered if there is only an online option to the game? I do prefer to play offline or in some kind of story mode - but it seems it doesn´t exist? So for example on the main menue I have "standard" mode and then play. I noticed after some games that I was actually playing against human adversaries. I had assumed this is an offline game like the gwent in The Witcher 3. Ok, so then I went to "training mode". Here it is obvious that I played against the AI. However, I did not receive any kind of rewards. So to summarize: the only way to experience this game 100 % (including receiving levels, rewards, materials etc.) is to play against human adversaries? I do so much hope not...

Yes, there's only online mode, and yes, you only receive rewards by playing against real people.
Training mode is the only mode, where you face AI. When you get to play this game a bit more and learn how certain cards work, you will notice that AI in training mode is often making irrational moves (as if it was playing against itself). So if training mode rewarded resources, then people would abuse it to farm them. As you probably also noticed, there's an in-game shop, where CDPR sells resources for real money, so it would not make sense if with practically no significant effort you could collect resources, which someone else had to buy for real money. Therefore they give you choice - spend some money or invest your time in playing against real people. Gwent is in my opinion very generous when it comes to resources, so if you enjoy the game and play a lot, your card collection will grow at a good pace (just remember to check and completed contracts, regularly spend your reward points in reward books, mill duplicate cards, etc. - THIS post should be helpful).

Last edited:
Is there a way to see match history within the game? (Not in the internet)
Nope, and from TWiG:
Q: In-game match history?
A: Not planned for now.

So to summarize: the only way to experience this game 100 % (including receiving levels, rewards, materials etc.) is to play against human adversaries?
It's a multiplayer game, yes.
This is from the official site (playgwent.com):
"Pick a faction, build an army, and wage war against other players across multiple game modes."

There is a "more single-player" (whatever that means) gamemode coming at some point -- next to no information is available at the moment but you can see this thread if you're interested -- but GWENT will undoubtedly always be multiplayer at its core.

If you want single-player only you could try Thronebreaker, which is a fully-fledged RPG that uses GWENT mechanics in its battles and puzzles.

The economy is out of whack. What is the idea of pricing with the Meteorite Powder and Kegs? I bought 16500 Powder which would be enough for several full premium decks.
40 Kegs would cost roughly the same amount of money, 45 EUR. But I would get maybe 3000 Scraps from those kegs which would be a very crappy return for my money. So right now I'm starved out of RP/Scraps, without reasonable options to get more except waiting for end of Season and Journey.
Also people should see whether they already own the cards which are sold in the shop in Packs, and get the full Scrap refund in the case they do.

I dislike being forced to play Oneiromancy if you click the card. There should be an option to cancel it.

Some visual cues would be nice regarding calculating when it's safe to pass. What about highlighting cards which provide points/damage, even after the opponent has passed?

and get the full Scrap refund in the case they do.
I'm pretty sure this will not happen, because it used to be in the game and was removed when the economy was changed a long time ago (2019, I believe).
This thread is also related to your economy comments.

This Q&A thread is for questions, not suggestions or comments like yours. You could create separate threads in Suggestions (one suggestion per thread) since you appear to have the required 10 posts.

Some visual cues would be nice regarding calculating when it's safe to pass. What about highlighting cards which provide points/damage, even after the opponent has passed?
I disagree, players must make decisions by themselves instead of relying on tool assistance (which reverts back to the adrenaline border flare).

@Gimme_a_break : Thank you for your detailed reply, I appreciate it. Yes, this makes sense of course. The game is designed on the grounds that you play against real people. And I did play several matches during the last days and I noted that even I as bloody beginner I managed to win some games - so not every online player seems a "pro-gamer". It was actually quite fun. And from what I understand your position in the rank (I am currently 28) determines which kind of skilled (or less skilled) player you get right? For example, I like diversity and I plan to play with every faction, however in the beginning I am focussing on Northern Realms. So let´s assume I manage to climb in rank say to rank 20. Later on I start a new faction, that is in terms of skills and "get to know" starting from scratch. I would then have quite some difficulty to compete with a rank 20 player, thus falling back to say 29 - until I´d get players of my skill level.
To express it differently: I am really not worried about my rank or anything of the sort, just having fun, making progress, getting new cards.

@ Draconifors: Btw also thanks to Draconifors - I just saw your reply and explanation later ;-)

Again not sure if this is the right place, but I would to ask two specific things: I did have a look at the scoia´tel faction and I am confused about the following:

- What exactly does Harmony do? The explanations in the internet were not quite clear. What exactly are unique primary attributes? And to which cards does the description refer: the ones on the play field, the ones in my hand or in my deck?

- When I play a Dryad and I get a boost for every Dryad - again, does it refer to those cards already on the field, hand or deck?

Thanks

Last edited:
@Gimme_a_break : Thank you for your detailed reply, I appreciate it. Yes, this makes sense of course. The game is designed on the grounds that you play against real people. And I did play several matches during the last days and I noted that even I as bloody beginner I managed to win some games - so not every online player seems a "pro-gamer". It was actually quite fun. And from what I understand your position in the rank (I am currently 28) determines which kind of skilled (or less skilled) player you get right? For example, I like diversity and I plan to play with every faction, however in the beginning I am focussing on Northern Realms. So let´s assume I manage to climb in rank say to rank 20. Later on I start a new faction, that is in terms of skills and "get to know" starting from scratch. I would then have quite some difficulty to compete with a rank 20 player, thus falling back to say 29 - until I´d get players of my skill level.
To express it differently: I am really not worried about my rank or anything of the sort, just having fun, making progress, getting new cards.

@ Draconifors: Btw also thanks to Draconifors - I just saw your reply and explanation later ;-)

Again not sure if this is the right place, but I would to ask two specific things: I did have a look at the scoia´tel faction and I am confused about the following:

- What exactly does Harmony do? The explanations in the internet were not quite clear. What exactly are unique primary attributes? And to which cards does the description refer: the ones on the play field, the ones in my hand or in my deck?

- When I play a Dryad and I get a boost for every Dryad - again, does it refer to those cards already on the field, hand or deck?

Thanks

You can check THIS link to learn about the rank system.

Basically you don't get "relegated" to lower ranks for losing games.
Only at the end of each season you can get moved down by 3, 2, 1 ranks, depending on the rank you were in when the season finished. You can check THIS link for more detailed explanation.

About harmony.
1. There are different types of Scoia'tael units:
Treant
Witcher
Gnome
Dragon
Dwarf
Dryad
Beast
Human
2. Some of those unit types are not faction exclusive. For example there are neutral cards that are units of dwarf or human type.
3. Harmony is triggered only by units, that belong to Scoia'tael faction.
4. When harmony is triggered, it boosts a unit by X points. X in most cases will be 1 point. There's currently only one card that gives 2 points boost from harmony (Percival Schuttenbach) and you can see he has "Harmony: 2" in description. The rest of cards have just "Harmony." (which represents 1 point).

Example:
- you play a harmony elf.
- then you play another harmony elf. Your first elf does not receive a boost from harmony, as there's already an elf card on your side of the board.
- then you play a non-harmony dryad. Both your elves receive harmony boost.
- then you play a harmony dryad. None of your units receive harmony boost.
- then you play a Scoia'tael dwarf. All your harmony units get a boost (both elves and one dryad).
- then you play a non-Scoia'tael beast (neutral card). None of your harmony units get boost, because harmony is only triggered when playing units from Scoia'tael faction.
- then you play Scoia'tael beast. None of your harmony units get boost, because there's already another beast on the board.
- then your opponent destroys your dwarf and you have no more dwarves on the board
- then you play another Scoia'tael dwarf. All harmony units receive boost, because there was no other dwarf on your side of the board in the moment of play.

@Gimme_a_break : wow, that was really a detailed and explicative answer! I had to read it twice admittedly, but now with that better understanding I am looking really forward to some scoia`tael matches. Thanks for explaining!
Post automatically merged:

I did some progress in the game and have currently reached rank 26. However, this seems to be quite problematic: while at the beginning I managed to win several games, it is almost impossible now - like 10 games in a row and all lost. I observed that most of the player only play high level cards (mostly epic and legendary). It would be great to get back to level 29/30 in order to find more adequate players. I also wonder how it is possible that players at the same rank as me can already have so many high rank cards. I used my ressources so far, but only got like 1 additional epic and no legendaries.

Last edited:
- I can imagine they are in the same rank as you, but are higher prestige level, which would indicate they spent more time playing, which then means they have collected more resources in the process and therefore were able to craft more higher level cards.
- Make sure to spend your reward points and resources wisely and just keep playing, you will gradually get better cards.
- If your cards collection is quite small, then you can try Draft mode instead of Standard mode. In draft you will build a deck based on card packages, which also consist cards that you don't have in your collection yet. It's a specific mode and might be confusing especially for players, that are not familiar with all factions and card abilities yet, as there are all cards mixed up together. Nevertheless, in my opinion it's something worth trying, as you get rewards just as in Standard mode, and you can keep rebuilding your deck as many times as you want, so you can get to know different cards and how they work before deciding to craft them for your collection.

- I can imagine they are in the same rank as you, but are higher prestige level, which would indicate they spent more time playing, which then means they have collected more resources in the process and therefore were able to craft more higher level cards.

IIRC, I got the first prestige level around the same time as Pro Rank. (10 days of playing, 100 hours)
People in Rank 26 don't have a prestige level. usually.

IIRC, I got the first prestige level around the same time as Pro Rank. (10 days of playing, 100 hours)
People in Rank 26 don't have a prestige level. usually.

Not necessarily.
Let's say you're a new player. Instead of playing standard-ranked matches, you decide to play draft mode, seasonal or standard-unranked. In such case you still get XP points and progress in the prestige system while not progressing at all in the rank system.
So in theory you can be prestige level 10 and still be in rank 30.

I'm sure this question has been asked about the standalone Gwent game before, but I can't find it... Is there a visual clue to which round you're in? It's easy to forget when you play a bunch of back to back games, but it's also hard to tell what's happening when you watch videos unless you watch the whole thing. In Witcher 3, they have the stones on the side... Thank you.

I'm sure this question has been asked about the standalone Gwent game before, but I can't find it... Is there a visual clue to which round you're in? It's easy to forget when you play a bunch of back to back games, but it's also hard to tell what's happening when you watch videos unless you watch the whole thing. In Witcher 3, they have the stones on the side... Thank you.
You just need to look at the golden Crown pieces (Round wins) next to the Score.

In this case (each player has 1 golden Crown piece) it's round 3.

IMG_20210503_211847.png

Hi all! New here. Excited to become a part of this community.

I am sure this question has been asked a billion times, so sorry, and thank you in advance.

So I just started playing and I am super into it. I hear that previous journeys have had all sorts of cool cosmetics that you can get now.
My question is, is there any way to get to old rewards? Will the journeys come back or is there a store in which you can buy them individually? (I would be totally into that! btw.)

Looking forward to hearing back and playing wth you all!

My question is, is there any way to get to old rewards? Will the journeys come back or is there a store in which you can buy them individually? (I would be totally into that! btw.)
CDPR has been considering making some of those trinkets available, in some way, however, we haven't had any details yet. I'm fairly certain the Journeys themselves will not return, though.

Top Bottom