NCPD wasn't fixed enough

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure now they no longer appear behind you, instantly. Now they take about 5 seconds to do so. NCPD should not arrive AT ALL unless you do something really BAD, certainly not for a stray bullet on a bystander. And certainly not in 5 seconds. At least 30, and that's still unbelievable, but, meh, acceptable.

Sometimes they even arrive if you kill a criminal. These are supposedly perps who are "wanted", have a bounty and are fair game, so wtf?

The other thing that needs fixing with the NCPD (also Maxtac and other "forces of order"), those that are standing around. They should have way lower aggressiveness. I mean, start to react only if you actually cross the police line, or come within a meter or so, or aim a gun at them. They certainly should NOT react and attack just because you stroll nearby along the sidewalk, gawk at the scene from outside the police line, or drive by in your car. Hey, this is the fucking street and it's free, I'm just driving by in my car, so what is it with becoming aggresive? Stupid!

I suggest that the NCPD be made even more overpowered and able to teleport wherever they want and be super high level that those who even think about breaking any laws or harming any civilians (except accidentally) would think twice. They'll get an instant flat line. Perhaps this way, some people might get the incentive to play CP2077 as a role playing game and not like Grand Theft Auto 5, where gaining wanted levels is required by GTA5, but this is not the case for CP2077. Basically, CP2077 is not GTA5.

I suggest that the NCPD be made even more overpowered and able to teleport wherever they want and be super high level that those who even think about breaking any laws or harming any civilians (except accidentally) would think twice. They'll get an instant flat line. Perhaps this way, some people might get the incentive to play CP2077 as a role playing game and not like Grand Theft Auto 5, where gaining wanted levels is required by GTA5, but this is not the case for CP2077. Basically, CP2077 is not GTA5.

Stupidity and nonsense. Read some in-game lore. Period.
In lore NCPD is weak and corrupt, they actually can't keep the order on the streets and thats why YOU have to do jobs for them.
Except when you accidentally kill someone - then they will arrive via StarTrek teleporters in full force to hunt you down.
Makes no sense.

Police system is badly designed and implemented. Actually IMO one of the worst aspects of the game.

Is this a joke? lol

AI is hard, they can't just fix it.

I've been told.
As simplistic as this sounds, I actually suspect that there's a lot of truth in this, even if only by accident.

One of the flaws I noticed in-game is that the AI is not very good at coordinating actions between entities or detecting V from any appreciable distance. I presume that part of the optimisations to the game engine included a maximum distance at which entity AIs could detect/respond to things. In other words, if V is further than that arbitrary range from the hostile entity, the entity's AI is 'put to sleep' and they don't respond to world events.

I wonder if the police-spawning problem is caused by some kind of engine limitation like that. I wonder if (in the Red engine), if CDPR spawn the police too far away from the player model, then the police end up standing around dormant because their AI is suspended. It also rings true with the way that it was "fixed" in 1.2. Rather than fixing it by spawning them an appropriate distance away and have them approach from afar, they pushed the spawn range out just a little bit, perhaps to "the furthest they can be from V and still detect/respond-to him/her". Of course, an appropriate distance depends on the setting. In the Badlands that could be kilometres away, in the city centre maybe not much further than they are now. Although I'd like to see more 'beat cops' amongst crowds, minding their own business, to make that feel more consistent and less like teleportation.

The best corrupted police I've seen was in Mafia 2. Also the best looking fake-non-GTA City to date. Simulated traffic with police vehicles and police on-foot patrols. If you broke the law in a slight way- a ticket. If you broke the law in "arrest" way, a bribe. Only when you went out of control they would shoot to kill. Best implemented police in story-heavy non-GTA open city game to date. Mafia 2 showed how it's done years ago.
If you were in "shoot to kill" situation, all you had to do was to make a call and pay the big bribe. The police would let you go. Because of corruption. V has a phone built into his head. Make a call to your contact in NCPD and pay for the crooked cops to let you go!

I swear to god, it's the "just land with all 3 engines" situation...
Post automatically merged:

Now that I got to that realisation, I can't sleep. Mafia 2 had it figured out years ago! Just copy Mafia 2 police system!
Cops patrolling on street! Have them appear on radar, come up with some in-game explanation why your map can detect them.
Car patrols- same as above, visible on the map, when you crime while they see you, you'll be chased. Otherwise you'd have to go on a rampage for the police to take notice.
Bribes on-the-spot if you commit minor crime, you have to call the cops off through your phone when they are seriously after you, though you have to loose them first. Won't work if they are shooting at you right now.

Mafia 2 was heavily story driven and the city was mostly a background rather than GTA sandbox. Exactly the same situation like with Cyberpunk. This one game proves that things like that were possible YEARS ago and you don't need godly powers and NASA supercomputers in order to pull it off!

Also the game had really good cutscenes, really good music, really detailed city, really good driving system, really good colissions system, and way less bugs on release. Not every game taking place in a big city has to be sandbox GTA simulation to be good and bugs-free.

Last edited:
The police in this game currently need to be completely rewritten, they are more broken now than before. They still instantly spawn and they also attack without provocation, when I'm just near to them. As is, the game is currently completely broken.

Sure now they no longer appear behind you, instantly. Now they take about 5 seconds to do so. NCPD should not arrive AT ALL unless you do something really BAD, certainly not for a stray bullet on a bystander. And certainly not in 5 seconds. At least 30, and that's still unbelievable, but, meh, acceptable.

Sometimes they even arrive if you kill a criminal. These are supposedly perps who are "wanted", have a bounty and are fair game, so wtf?

The other thing that needs fixing with the NCPD (also Maxtac and other "forces of order"), those that are standing around. They should have way lower aggressiveness. I mean, start to react only if you actually cross the police line, or come within a meter or so, or aim a gun at them. They certainly should NOT react and attack just because you stroll nearby along the sidewalk, gawk at the scene from outside the police line, or drive by in your car. Hey, this is the fucking street and it's free, I'm just driving by in my car, so what is it with becoming aggresive? Stupid!
I think the biggest issue is the lack of advance AI, originally they stated that people would have day and night cycles etc. And just as the NPC doesn't have this, neither do the police. It is as basic as it can almost be. The main issue as I see it, is with the police cars, as you would expect these to drive to your location and try to catch you, but given that the traffic is as bad as it is, it's probably not possible for the police cars to actually do this.

It could be solved with flying police cars dropping them off and using drones, but not sure if the normal policemen uses flying cars or if it is only Maxtac?

But in general the game need a whole lot of work in the AI department, which is probably also why the fix they made were just something quickly slapped together, because it was so obviously bad to begin with. But the current fix is not even remotely dealing with the overall issue, which again is the almost complete lack of AI.

NCPD was fixed enough. If someone says, game is completly broken, because of police system - maybe try play this game for more than 1 hour.
I think the biggest issue is the lack of advance AI, originally they stated that people would have day and night cycles etc. And just as the NPC doesn't have this, neither do the police. It is as basic as it can almost be. The main issue as I see it, is with the police cars, as you would expect these to drive to your location and try to catch you, but given that the traffic is as bad as it is, it's probably not possible for the police cars to actually do this.

It could be solved with flying police cars dropping them off and using drones, but not sure if the normal policemen uses flying cars or if it is only Maxtac?

But in general the game need a whole lot of work in the AI department, which is probably also why the fix they made were just something quickly slapped together, because it was so obviously bad to begin with. But the current fix is not even remotely dealing with the overall issue, which again is the almost complete lack of AI.
NPC system is far from perfect, but traffic: number of cars and pedestrians is based of time of the day and district you are. You didn't notice it, that's ok. If you thought every single NPC will have daily routine, I have news for you: It's not Fallout 4 with 20 NPC in "town", or RDR2 with villages filled with again 20 NPC. You can "meet" hundread of thousands of NPCs during your playthrough and expectation every NPC in game will be done manually it's not only stupid, it's insane.

Night City is supposed to be the most overpopulated city in North America. People should be on the street all the bloody time. And what about the homeless people? Do they go home instead of sleeping on the streets at night? :D

There is no night time for traffic in a big city. No cars on the street is more than stupid. It's insane.

Night City is supposed to be the most overpopulated city in North America. People should be on the street all the bloody time. And what about the homeless people? Do they go home instead of sleeping on the streets at night? :D

There is no night time for traffic in a big city. No cars on the street is more than stupid. It's insane.
I'm not actually in a "Big City", but there was a time, when I was in Paris, between 3-5h in the morning, it was an automobile desert. I would be surprised if it was different elsewhere.
Ok, apart from the garbage trucks. But from what I've seen, in Night City, there aren't many of them. :D

Otherwise to come back to the subject:
Who could say he's happy with such a basic police system in a game ? Seriously, no one.
So either CDPR ran out of time or money or anything else... who knows (not me, it's sur).
But it is impossible that it will not have corrected one day. It just takes a little patience :)

Last edited:
They certainly should NOT react and attack just because you stroll nearby along the sidewalk, gawk at the scene from outside the police line, or drive by in your car. Hey, this is the fucking street and it's free, I'm just driving by in my car, so what is it with becoming aggresive? Stupid!
Unfortunately this isn't too far from reality in many places on planet earth.

Back in the first release, I suspected (among other causes) that the game engine did not suit this game, and that it caused lots of spoiled working effort to make the game in a playable state. I believe that they tried too hard to insert a cube in a round shape, so to speak.

If true, it could explain lots of AI awkwardness, why there a so few interactivity with NPCs and why the citizen + traffic management is so cheap, and so on...

Stupidity and nonsense. Read some in-game lore. Period.
In lore NCPD is weak and corrupt, they actually can't keep the order on the streets and thats why YOU have to do jobs for them.
Except when you accidentally kill someone - then they will arrive via StarTrek teleporters in full force to hunt you down.
Makes no sense.

Police system is badly designed and implemented. Actually IMO one of the worst aspects of the game.

one correction, max attack is supposed to be fast and hardcore. So its possible you just seem like a cyberpsycho.

I mean you can steal cars, break into houses, take peoples stuff, buy drugs, get into shootouts with people with weapons.

The only thing that makes the cops go to war with you extremely fast is killing or threatening to kill civilians.

And, if you get far enough from the scene of the crime you are Scott free. So really, ncpd is still pretty weak and corrupt. They only act on murder of civilians, and as long as you run away, they ll let you go.

Thats still a pretty weak level of policing/justice

The NCPD and maxtac should arrive in vehicles period, just like the opening scene with Jackie. None of this lame teleporting stuff. program the AI to pursue, and arrive in vehicles and for a longer distance.

This engine can't even hold a normal car race, what makes you think it can have pursuing AI and chasing cars?...

Guest 4400165

This thing became such an annoyance! You accidentally shoot some gang member and the police happened to be somewhere around, V is the one issued the warrant. And it takes like 2 mins to get rid of them.
Sometimes when you finish an assault in progress and start looting, the police appears and they're hostile, ~2mins of running away again.

Where's the fun in this? I hated the wanted system in both GTAV and RDR2.
God forbid they'll allow the police to chase on cars.

I don't play a crazy V who needs to play with the police, so I'm always accurate and before the 1.2 update, managed to get the cops on me probably 3-4 times for 300+ hours or so. I liked how they did it in TW3, wish they would've done the same here.

Talking about Max-Tac ... imo they are quite overpowered in comparison with all other troops in the game. They can be taken down in melee fight (but this really need finalised quite advanced build) and also using different tricks like shooting through wall, hacking etc. but problem is that there is not anything else even slightly close in regards to theirs ability inflict damage except V itself** :) . Personally I would like more tactical approach from MaxTax, i.e. snipers shooting from distance, troops able use cover, able use differen weapons (at short, medium and long range), and forcing V flee due too much firepower concentrated. What we have now is NPC able flatline V in 2-3 shots (with armour 5k) which uses zero tactics and comes directly at player with blazing guns in berserker style. I do have fun when occasionally have mood to shot police down (exactly because of that brutal direct action), but imo it can be done better and offer more fun even at endgame level.

** NCPD police and drones or robots are just garbage when compared with Max-Tac. With a little exaggeration, I can say that I can drink coffee and watch movie on second screen when fight them. With Max-Tac almost every slow or carelessness move ends on reload screen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom