+
Does anyone else feel that unlike a game like the Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 really punishes builds that aren't Intelligence based? My favorite build has been an Unarmed Brute Streetkid and it really feels like all the Fixers and friends in quests just really look down on me. I was playing through Panam's quest where we're rescuing Saul, and I murderized absolutely EVERYTHING. But when I get to Saul, there's no comment about how I freaking solo'd an entire battalion of Raffen Shiv, and instead I'm an asshole that got us followed. WTF? There's a lot of other examples like that but I'm trying to keep this short and honestly I'm just plain tired and angry. This is something that is way too common through the game and what I find fun is basically being shit on by the game I'm playing. Does anyone else find this wrong and kinda hurtful?

I should also mention that Cool (Stealth) is absolutely not Stealth within the game. The stealthiest character is absolutely a hacker by far.

EDIT: I basically feel that if the game credits one style of play it should credit others as well via congratulatory comments, OR it should bill itself entirely as a different sort of game, like a stealth shooter

I am not intending that this be anything other than a feedback thread, and have no desire to just malign or spit on the game / developers. Overall I really like Cyberpunk 2077. But there are areas where I feel it could be better, and some of those areas deserve to be addressed.

Last edited:
I've never really felt this, despite my favourite build being stealth SMG operator (Cool 18, Tech 18, Reflexes 16, Body 9, Intelligence 10), leaning more towards gunning, knife kills and stealth takedowns where possible.

The fixers generally expect V to render her/ his services as you'd expect in real life; like a professional. This would mean the job being done with almost or no trace of the operation even having taken place. I for the most part can only recall fixers giving positive feedback at the end of a job, even if the approach Valerie takes is to roll through with a (silenced) revolver, SMG and headshot anything that moves, but this of course is because she remains undetected throughout the operation.

The occasions where NPCs do pour scorn on my V is when she gets detected, (like an amateur) which I find perfectly understandable. The game is quite reflective of real life mercenary operations in my humble opinion, in that questionable operations have consequences and are best kept as quiet as possible, preferably silent (look to your preferred media sources for articles covering mercenary operations; I doubt you'll find many in the U.S. making headlines...).

I've never really felt this, despite my favourite build being stealth SMG operator (Cool 18, Tech 18, Reflexes 16, Body 9, Intelligence 10), leaning more towards gunning, knife kills and stealth takedowns where possible.

The fixers generally expect V to render her/ his services as you'd expect in real life; like a professional. This would mean the job being done with almost or no trace of the operation even having taken place. I for the most part can only recall fixers giving positive feedback at the end of a job, even if the approach Valerie takes is to roll through with a (silenced) revolver, SMG and headshot anything that moves, but this of course is because she remains undetected throughout the operation.

The occasions where NPCs do pour scorn on my V is when she gets detected, (like an amateur) which I find perfectly understandable. The game is quite reflective of real life mercenary operations in my humble opinion, in that questionable operations have consequences and are best kept as quiet as possible, preferably silent (look to your preferred media sources for articles covering mercenary operations; I doubt you'll find many in the U.S. making headlines...).

You basically said straight out that the game really does favor Stealth Hackers and Techies over SOLOS which are supposed to be another option for the game play. Also, please do not insult my style of play which is supposedly supported by the game, I find that offensive. The game is billed as an ACTION role-playing game, and I approached with action.

You basically said straight out that the game really does favor Stealth Hackers and Techies over SOLOS which are supposed to be another option for the game play. Also, please do not insult my style of play which is supposedly supported by the game, I find that offensive.
If you find it offensive (which was not my intention; I was merely stating how mercenary operations work in reality), then I think the issue is not so much with the game.

Decisions have consequences choomba.

You basically said straight out that the game really does favor Stealth Hackers and Techies over SOLOS which are supposed to be another option for the game play. Also, please do not insult my style of play which is supposedly supported by the game, I find that offensive. The game is billed as an ACTION role-playing game, and I approached with action.
Even while hacking I'm still doing it solo.
What you want is be credited for beating up everyone.
Why should anyone credit that?
It would be the same thing as sniping everthing from distance with a non silenced weapon (like a certain tankgun) I also get no special appraisal for that.

The game is not in any way listed as a Stealth Shooter or anything like that. If I choose to go into combat with full action when the system mechanics and story lore support that, why is the game or other posters making that a problem?

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a rule this forum has: "do not insult others and try not to easily take offense". Please keep that in mind, especially if you plan to post threads like this.

The game is not in any way listed as a Stealth Shooter or anything like that. If I choose to go into combat with full action when the system mechanics and story lore support that, why is the game or other posters making that a problem?

Please, do not call me "Choomba" when it is clearly meant sarcastically and insultingly. I expect a level of respect as much as I try to show it to others.
No, the game indeed is not. The characteristics apply on specific jobs where it states the preferred method is to do it stealth.
Other jobs do not care about that and comment on you equally between beating up, shooting down, blasting to smithereens or tearing apart. Whatever you happen to do.
You can even crash in with vehicles and (for instance) Wakako just says: good job, gig closed. ONLY when a preferred method is asked and subsequentially executed you get added appraisal.

Your example of getting out Saul I believe was suggested to do stealthily, as soon as you break that approach, you'll be dissed for it, regardless of beating up or shooting yaddayadda. Clear and simple.

Which btw, Stealth constitutes both hacking the enemy (until position is revealed) or simply sneaking by and do not attack at all.

The game respects your playstyle, since you can do that in-game and doesn't prevent you to finish story/quests as far as I remember.Other games that put here or there a stealth mission,if you are detected basically is insta failure and level restart.
But if the story asks(a NPC in this case) "don't do a bloodbath","you will have a bonus if things go quiet"... well you cannot expect them to be happy if you go in full berseker mode.
By the way,"solo" can be a brawler,a machinegunner,a netrunner,a sniper... build.

Here's a rule this forum has: "do not insult others and try not to easily take offense". Please keep that in mind, especially if you plan to post threads like this.

Thanks for underlining and bolding the part you felt was most important.

With my favorite build, (4 body/15dext/18Tech/20int/14cool), I could actually completely clean an area thanks to QH without being detected.
But I find it more fun to do it either with a weapon/silencer or "by hand" :)
For me, it's too easy and too fast to destroy everyone with a shotgun.
(Even a solo can use kind "optic reboot", "distract Enemy" and his own hand for cleaning an area stealthly)

The only times when you are "badly" received as a solo "carnage cleaning mode" is when you are expressly asked to remain discreet...
Example:
-"I walk The Line": Stealth = good; Brute force = Also good.
-"Rider on the storm": Stealth = good; Brute force = Not good.

But it's choice, if you don't want to be discreet, as you wish. If someone asks you to be discreet and you're not, don't be surprised to receive a nasty little comment. But it really doesn't change much, just rewards them sometimes ;)

PS: you fool, you post too quick :D

With my favorite build, (4 body/15dext/18Tech/20int/14cool), I could actually completely clean an area thanks to QH without being detected.
But I find it more fun to do it either with a weapon/silencer or "by hand" :)
For me, it's too easy and too fast to destroy everyone with a shotgun.
(Even a solo can use kind "optic reboot", "distract Enemy" and his own hand for cleaning an area stealthly)

The only times when you are "badly" received as a solo "carnage cleaning mode" is when you are expressly asked to remain discreet...
Example:
-"I walk The Line": Stealth = good; Brute force = Also good.
-"Rider on the storm": Stealth = good; Brute force = Not good.

But it's choice, if you don't want to be discreet, as you wish. If someone asks you to be discreet and you're not, don't be surprised to receive a nasty little comment. But it really doesn't change much, just rewards them sometimes ;)

PS: you fool, you post too quick :D
This greatly reminds me of the Regina gig where you have to get that eyeball in a jar.
First time around I hadn't realised the stealthiness thing, and I went in Neko/Defender style. Little that makes more noise than those :LOL:
At the end Regina said something like: "We both know that wasn't my best work."
And I was like: Huh? I got the eye didn't I?
Then I looked at the gig again and the preverbial coin fell ;)

Little indicative to me that no one replying seems to have played the sort of character the thread commentary was about. To give an idea: Primary Body, leveled up jointly with Cool till 14. Reflexes tertiary. Stealth was absolutely one of three priority skill trees, though more focus was on Blunt / Unarmed and Cold Blood. I'd have put more focus on Heavy Weapons but LMGs seem to have received scant love IMO.

Does anyone else feel that unlike a game like the Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 really punishes builds that aren't Intelligence based?
Don't think so ... and I personally never created intelligence based builds (playing now my 4th V) because I prefer mixed approach (builds which can use more different approaches from silent/hacking to brutal close range action with blades). My most liked build is 16str, 18reflexes, 18technical, 7! inteligence and 12 Cool. With proper cyberware I can easily remove most obstacles with hacking but also with blades or guns/pistols. Is fact that there is not as much moments when is given reaction to "how" you dealt with obstacles. But there is one which I still remember and this is Takemura comment in raid on Arasaka complex (with stored balons for parade in Japantown) when he states that V is crazy when is destroyed heavy mech which is patrolling in areal.

Little indicative to me that no one replying seems to have played the sort of character the thread commentary was about. To give an idea: Primary Body, leveled up jointly with Cool till 14. Reflexes tertiary. Stealth was absolutely one of three priority skill trees, though more focus was on Blunt / Unarmed and Cold Blood. I'd have put more focus on Heavy Weapons but LMGs seem to have received scant love IMO.
Nope, but with only 4 in int, you can use QH for stealth ("optics reboot" and "distract" are a good friends for that).
If a stealth approch is required, go to reaperdoc, install base cyberdeck, do the quest and retrun for re-install bersek :)

Just for formalisation.
My main character is currently {12 body, 12 tech, 10 intel, 5 reflex, 5 cool}
My main arsenal is Katana, Grad sniper, Nekomata sniper, the Fenrir SMH and Defender LMG and finally Crusher shotgun.
The Crusher, Katana and Neko are stashed together with a HMG when I discovered I could do that.

In my mind, I have high body because I want the HP, I have high tech because I spend much time crafting/upgrading (I dont care if its optimal or not)
I have high intel because... I reflexes and cool seem less interesting for me, but I have only basic hacks and nearly no perks invested other than money and duration thing.

My main approach is snipe with Grad and then go in with either Defender or Fenrir. I go stealth pretty much based on if I feel like doing so.
Not to forget, while I upgrade stuff here and there. I care little for collecting legendaries and just go through my playstyle organicly. Nothing is specifically tuned for optimization and clothingwise my armor is all over the place (and almost without mods due to not having the slots.)
I have one partial clothing set {glasses, skirt and funky shoes} for increased carry capacity.

Last edited:
But the complaint is about "cp 2077 really punishes", that i fail to see how you translate "punishment" to "a NPC asked for quiet/undetected and he/she is not happy because i leveled an enemy camp".

Mmm, I've just done similar. INT no higher than 3 for the whole play-through, and very little put into Cool (certainly no perks except the crouch-move-speed-boost). I had removed all of my hacking ability and replaced it with a Sandevistan system. I can & did do stealth when absolutely crucial though, for example in that shopping mall quest in Pacifica. I wasn't detected during any point of that quest (oh, except that mini-boss battle), despite murdering every last living thing inside.

The trick was sneaking around and taking every enemy out with a silenced headshot from my revolver. Those were certain one-hit-kills, so as long as I was on-target, the enemy I engage doesn't get a chance to detect me. If there's a cluster of enemies together, I kicked in Sandevistan before I started shooting, so that I had time to headshot/kill the whole pack of bad guys before the first one's brains had finished decorating the floor. They didn't get the chance to detect me.

Sure, they were in "alert" status, because a few dead bodies were found but they never went all the way to "detected" status. In fact I used dead bodies to draw-in more victims a couple of times. "Oh my god, what's happened to Fred? There must be a sniper nearb-"

But the complaint is about "cp 2077 really punishes", that i fail to see how you translate "punishment" to "a NPC asked for quiet/undetected and he/she is not happy because i leveled an enemy camp".
I tried to clarify with an edit that if the game celebrates one style specifically, why can't it celebrate others?

I only really remember two times a fixer scolded me for not doing a mission stealthily. But way more times than that when I went barrelling in guns/blades blazing, the fixer told me I was a badass afterward. Now I dunno if they would have said the same thing if I was stealthy and undetected.

From my perspective my reward was getting the job done way quicker than someone could have done it with stealth :D

Top Bottom