Street Cred needs an overhaul.

+
Right now, it maxes out far too easily
I wish levels accrued just as easily; I hit 50 street cred before reaching level 30, and it took another 50 hours of play to reach level 42, which is still nowhere near what you need to survive Johnny's special ending.

I watched some xp farming videos and they were garbage.

I think they could have done more with the mercenary system in general.

Would have been nice to see other mercs around, maybe even do jobs with them. Maybe get to know one, and then be hired to kill him down the road. Think Revy and Shen Hua from Black Lagoon. Night City is basically Roanapur with better tech.

For me, Street Cred needs to be based on the burroughs, or districts, of Night City that you are in. Any bonuses or such will only affect you if you have that much Cred in the district.

Perhaps splitting Street Cred into Night City Cred (max 10), based on main quests and certain side quests, and District Cred (max 40), based on all fixer gigs for that district, for the total of 50 (current max). Maybe your overall SC score could be an average of all six districts?

So, the more quests for Pacifica and the VooDoo Boys, the higher your Cred for that area, but it will have no impact on your Cred for Watson. Why would the Tyger Claws in Japantown care a whit about what you did for a rival gang in another district?

Also, along those same lines, I'd like to see gang affiliation/reputation included. Help the Mox, Tyger Claw rep diminishes, help the Animals, the VooDoo Boys rep drops.

This would slow down leveling of this attribute, but perhaps other attributes could be slowed as well,, making it so that you don't max out too early.

Thoughts?

Let me just say, there certainly is no shortage of ideas regarding a better reputation system. What is severely lacking tough, is the ability to actually implement any of the effects that such a system could have besides unlocking gear at vendors.

I really like how the street cred works! Only thing I would like is that NPC acts different when you have high Street cred, but i don't know this game is so complex that it might already be there I just haven't noticed?

What would be also cool is gang cred and that you could do missions for them obviously if you do a mission for one gang you can't do one for their enemies etc :)

The OT suggestion wouldn't work without overhaul of most of the city contacts. Currently street cred is just a number, and like many other things in Cyberpunk exist solely for game mechanic purposes. SInce there is like only one ripperdoc and one fixer per district, restricting street cred to individual districts would make the game SUPER grindy. I vote no.

I thought it would be cool if the street cred was linked to the fixers so that you earned them as contacts. You start with Wakako and Regina but then once you reach a certain level of cred then the next fixer calls saying "Regina says you're reliable maybe you could help me out with x" or Wakako calls saying "Here's the details for Padre he might have a job for you"
I found the random calls a bit weird like V is running around night city with Snapchat location on whilst being a fugitive from Arasaka.
It would also be cool to have gang/district reputation linked to npc behaviour and dialogue "hey isn't that V" or "Ah shit, hide man that's V"
Maybe in the next game?

Street Cred is one of those features they could and should overhaul and expand in my opinion. It should be centered around the Afterlife, the center of the world for merchs. Once you reach a certain threshold, it should unlock quests from some dudes in the Afterlife who have heard of your exploits and want to work with you.. They could make a whole arc about that...They way it is now, with doing mostly work for fixers who just are all the same and super boring, except maybe Wakako, just feels lame and not really impactful. And why does Rogue still treat me like a total noob even with Street Cred 50? The whole system is just seriously undercooked...like the whole game tbh.

I thought it would be cool if the street cred was linked to the fixers so that you earned them as contacts.

Yeah, in general you should work your way up a line of fixer contacts, and gain access to new stuff as you do so. All the fixers shouldve had city-wide area of influence in this respect, not restricted to individual districts (which makes little sense imo).

Also getting missions should've been far more interesting than just walking 100 meters from the spot. There is no sense of communication (many phonecalls you can't even refuse to answer, the "answer" button is a formality). There is no sense of exploration if all you need to do is walk in the general direction of the event. There is no excitement of finding something new. Every fixer (Except Rogue because "story") already knows you, there are no introductory scenes. Nothing about this system feels natural. It feels like a videogame where devs went the shortest possible route.

And all Pawel's excitement just feels like an apology. Attempt to explain why things are this way.

There is no sense of exploration if all you need to do is walk in the general direction of the event. There is no excitement of finding something new.
Could be a good idea to not show the unknow GIGs/quests marker on the map. But i sur, a lot of people would complain that they can't have the achievement of having it all done because they haven't found all of the GIGs/quests. Maybe add just an option "Free Exploration" or "Show all" could be good :)

And all Pawel's excitement just feels like an apology. Attempt to explain why things are this way.
One insight from Pawel's streaming that might go some way to explaining it is that it sounds like groups of quests were developed in isolation. By his own admission this is the first time he's played through the game from start to finish, I wonder if that's true of some of the other senior devs? Is that why they're restructuring how they work? Or was there a more involved system that wasn't finished so the location calls are a placeholder?

Maybe there was too much focus on minutiae of sticker design & story and scenes and no-one with a fresh viewpoint saying "I'm not sure this all flows together". I don't know how much the pandemic affected beta testing but surely it must have been more complicated and I can't imagine no-one noticed. They've certainly got enough feedback from the "open-beta" since launch!

I agree though it needs an overhaul just not convinced it isn't too much of a core mechanism for it to be possible in this version, it affects the availability of so many items etc,

I remember the videos of SC attached to clothing. A reason I brought it up. It should be reintroduced with a SC increase. It should also affect the way people interact with you, if they can overhaul the AI system.
If that is the case with the points you gain that makes sense then. I was bummed our cap capped out at 50 and thought npc's had way higher SC
If this was the case I'd guess it was removed because a character who looked like they were going to a fancy dress party from all the random stuff they'd picked up would end up with the street cred of a god.

One insight from Pawel's streaming that might go some way to explaining it is that it sounds like groups of quests were developed in isolation. By his own admission this is the first time he's played through the game from start to finish, I wonder if that's true of some of the other senior devs? Is that why they're restructuring how they work? Or was there a more involved system that wasn't finished so the location calls are a placeholder?

A lot of times Cyberpunk 2077 for sure has felt like a combination of pieces of varying quality that don't fit well together and where seams are clearly visible.

Actually, SC is set to the pace of the game to open up the game to players after they have played for a while. 1 to 50 is 150 hours playing 2 hours per day on average for 3 months. But the important part here is that SC opens up the game with it's REQ and progression rewards for the player. It's the way it is so that NC opens up to the player, the game opens up, and that part feels perfect. If you are brutal then it will max out the fastest, and that takes 150 hours. If you binge the game quests, sure, that will level it up too fast, but I disagree that it's even possible to level it up too fast. Those that binge the game need something else because they just consumed 50% to 100% of the game. So perhaps it's worth rethinking SC or testing it between not binge play, and binge play. But then if you binge the game, you'll be done with it months ago. 150 hours to max out SC from only Act I and 140 hours of leaving no survivors while farming free range, is quite perfect as it is. But I didn't binge through Main, Side, GIG, NCPD, or farming gonks.

150 hours to max out SC from only Act I and 140 hours of leaving no survivors while farming free range, is quite perfect as it is. But I didn't binge through Main, Side, GIG, NCPD, or farming gonks.
Not so sur with that :(
"Fresh" save in 1.22, 26h and StreetCred at lvl 45. It's pretty fast if you wandering the street (for clear the assaults) and kill all the enemies you meet.

Actually, SC is set to the pace of the game to open up the game to players after they have played for a while. 1 to 50 is 150 hours playing 2 hours per day on average for 3 months. But the important part here is that SC opens up the game with it's REQ and progression rewards for the player. It's the way it is so that NC opens up to the player, the game opens up, and that part feels perfect.

Having the game locked to Watson in chapter 1 is far from perfect.

Having the game locked to Watson in chapter 1 is far from perfect.
At the same time, if you have played TW3, you would expect the same thing in CP :)
It is quite common in open worlds for the first part to be compartmentalized in a certain area.
(well it did not surprise me and more disturbed than that)

At the same time, if you have played TW3, you would expect the same thing in CP :)
It is quite common in open worlds for the first part to be compartmentalized in a certain area.

No, it isn't common in my experience and it wasn't good in Witcher either. There is no logical reason for it.

No, it isn't common in my experience and it wasn't good in Witcher either. There is no logical reason for it.
Ok, well for my experience (few example):

ACO : You start on little island.
Fallout (all) : You start with all of the open world, but if you go too far, you're dead (too powerful enemies).
RockStar : You start with of all the open world, but nothing to do apart a "stroll" because all the things was unlocked by the quests (weapons/activity/...)

So for me, yes it's relatively common. If it's not a locked area, it's the gameplay who block you. :)

While a bit too quick to get hold of, StreetCred in CP is a good way to limit a few things.

Fallout (all) : You start with all of the open world, but if you go too far, you're dead (too powerful enemies).

Being underleveled for the world at large is very different from being physically blocked from entering the world at large.
I am strongly against level-based progression in the first place, so can't say Ive found many games to my liking. AC Odyssey did it right though. No limitations, and level scaling. You could literally go anywhere you wanted, and enemies were scaled to you. Still best option would be to focus progression on just stats, skills, money and gear and forget levels completely.

Top Bottom