Hotfix 1.06

+
I've been playing on Stadia since the 10th, and only just a few days ago did I start to experience the save glitch. The first thing I read about it was that it had to do with the size of the files, and what V was carrying, so I dumped EVERYTHING except the 3 guns in the slots, a katana, some grenades, and the clothing on her body. Played for a few hours, saved, when I tried to continue the next day as Stadia says "your game had a glitch" so when I tried to load, instead of continue, it did the same thing. I'm about 114 hours into the game. Been putting off the meeting at Embers for quite awhile so I can enjoy finishing gigs, and just random gun fights, and driving around too fast and jumping cars into the water. Just enjoying the game play without worry about the story. At this point, my last 10 or 12 saves are all glitched, I can't load any of them. I've deleted my most recent 5 saves 4 times because I would find a save that wasn't glitched, play for a while, create a new save just to have it glitch. It's very frustrating, but I do understand, and I am not mad. Just disappointed. I absolutely adore the game, and I would love to continue playing and reach the end, but I also want to get all the side jobs and gigs done before I do. Seems like that is the real issue. The point of no return came very early for me, and personally I gotta' wonder if that isn't part of the problem the game is experiencing. Stadia has been very stable, and until now has had zero glitches for me beyond the occasional funny NPC sticking out of a wall, or floating above their car type stuff.

WHEN WILL YOU FINALLY FIX THE BROKEN UI & INTERFACE FOR 21:9 ULTRAWIDE?!

FFS... been reporting this since 1.0.3!
Guess what:

It is STILL NOT FIXED!

I'm so fucking done with CDPR at this point... I loved them to bits for The Witcher 3, but this is just... well, it's insulting.
CDPR couldn't be more clear about how they give zero fucks about their majorly promoted promise of "Full Ultrawide support at launch".

Guess what:

It is STILL NOT FIXED!

I'm so fucking done with CDPR at this point... I loved them to bits for The Witcher 3, but this is just... well, it's insulting.
CDPR couldn't be more clear about how they give zero fucks about their majorly promoted promise of "Full Ultrawide support at launch".

Lack of support for ultrawide-screen is not a bug. There are many games that don't support non-standard resolutions. This is a request.

As far as we know, there is no plan for ultrawide support. The most likely reason is that all 2D aspects of the UI would need to be completely redone for those aspect ratios so that positioning and scaling was correct. This is why support for such resolutions is very typically limited. As it stands, if you choose to run the game in ultrawide mode, the 3D objects will probably look fine, but the 2D elements will either be stretched or simply will not scale (so their positioning may be extremely "off-center"). In order for the game to display correctly, you'll need to run it in a supported aspect ratio (which for 21:9 monitors means black bars on either side of the screen.)

Lack of support for ultrawide-screen is not a bug. There are many games that don't support non-standard resolutions. This is a request.

As far as we know, there is no plan for ultrawide support. The most likely reason is that all 2D aspects of the UI would need to be completely redone for those aspect ratios so that positioning and scaling was correct. This is why support for such resolutions is very typically limited. As it stands, if you choose to run the game in ultrawide mode, the 3D objects will probably look fine, but the 2D elements will either be stretched or simply will not scale (so their positioning may be extremely "off-center"). In order for the game to display correctly, you'll need to run it in a supported aspect ratio (which for 21:9 monitors means black bars on either side of the screen.)
Come again?

CDPR CLEARLY promised and PROMOTED "Full Ultrawide Support at launch" in multiple trailers and other video material.
Those are the facts, and that was what moved me to preorder a Collector's Edition in the first place.

And moreover, it is a bug when 3440x1440 is officially supported by the game, "full ultrawide at launch" had been promoted, but then the UI is severely broken in 21:9!

It doesn't get any more buggy than UI that has massive offset and cuts off/unnecessarily masks parts of the screen and thus parts of the UI too.

Maybe don't claim things that are so obviously incorrect; everyone who'd followed the CP2077 marketing campaign prior to launch saw this unequivocal promise. There is no whitewashing this.

And let's not forget that the Witcher 3 runs perfectly in 3440x1440 21:9, and that was developed before 21:9 ever was a thing to begin with.

Last edited:
Come again?

CDPR CLEARLY promised and PROMOTED "Full Ultrawide Support at launch" in multiple trailers and other video material.
Those are the facts, and that was what moved me to preorder a Collector's Edition in the first place.

And moreover, it is a bug when 3440x1440 is officially supported by the game, "full ultrawide at launch" had been promoted, but then the UI is severely broken in 21:9!

It doesn't get any more buggy than UI that has massive offset and cuts off/unnecessarily masks parts of the screen and thus parts of the UI too.

Maybe don't claim things that are so obviously incorrect; everyone who'd followed the CP2077 marketing campaign prior to launch saw this unequivocal promise. There is no whitewashing this.

And let's not forget that the Witcher 3 runs perfectly in 3440x1440 21:9, and that was developed before 21:9 ever was a thing to begin with.

And once again, I think people are clearly not differentiating between plans and final releases. To the best of my knowledge, there was never any official announcement that the game would officially support ultrawide resolutions. What I can find are:
  • some examples of early versions of the game showing some level of gameplay in u-wide.
  • many articles from second-hand sources claiming things based on assumptions and jumping to conclusions.
  • some reddit posts claiming to "know" things about u-wide support based on unreleased, unofficial information.
  • numerous references to demos prior to release exhibiting gameplay footage using 21:9 resolutions...but the UI was clipped in places and cutscenes cropped...just like you're identifying.
If I'm wrong, then I missed it. But I have yet to see a single announcement from CD Projekt RED confirming: "Yes, Cyberpunk 2077 will feature full support for ultrawide resolutions. It will definitely be in the game."

If an announcement about any feature comes from a source other than the studio directly, then it is not official. It is assumption and speculation. When one looks at a work-in-progress, it's a work-in-progress. Sharing progress is not "making promises". Hence:

1619920940583.png

...along with with the disclaimer: "Everything you see is potentially subject to change."

If it were possible to "just do ultrawide support already" because it's no big issue and there's nothing stopping a studio from doing so...then it would have been done. As it stands, let's start counting the number of games that do not support ultrawide. Perhaps...it's not super-easy to implement...and there's actually more to it.

And once again, I think people are clearly not differentiating between plans and final releases. To the best of my knowledge, there was never any official announcement that the game would officially support ultrawide resolutions. What I can find are:
  • some examples of early versions of the game showing some level of gameplay in u-wide.
  • many articles from second-hand sources claiming things based on assumptions and jumping to conclusions.
  • some reddit posts claiming to "know" things about u-wide support based on unreleased, unofficial information.
  • numerous references to demos prior to release exhibiting gameplay footage using 21:9 resolutions...but the UI was clipped in places and cutscenes cropped...just like you're identifying.
If I'm wrong, then I missed it. But I have yet to see a single announcement from CD Projekt RED confirming: "Yes, Cyberpunk 2077 will feature full support for ultrawide resolutions. It will definitely be in the game."

If an announcement about any feature comes from a source other than the studio directly, then it is not official. It is assumption and speculation. When one looks at a work-in-progress, it's a work-in-progress. Sharing progress is not "making promises". Hence:

View attachment 11214907

...along with with the disclaimer: "Everything you see is potentially subject to change."

If it were possible to "just do ultrawide support already" because it's no big issue and there's nothing stopping a studio from doing so...then it would have been done. As it stands, let's start counting the number of games that do not support ultrawide. Perhaps...it's not super-easy to implement...and there's actually more to it.
So why allow people to play in a unsupported resolution. Why not cap it at the supported ratios? The reason you have people upset is you allow for it even though it is broken. I read this as "We let you play in it, but it doesn't work, maybe we will fix it in the future, but we don't know and don't promise anything" is not a response I was expecting from a great studio like CD Project Red. At least some acknowledgement here puts me at ease you guys know about the issue. Taken back at the response here. I personal tried playing this on a 32:9, clipping issues, yeah but otherwise not unplayable, personally I wont pick this up again until after I see this fixed, that me though. I'm guessing these ratios were meant to be supported, but due to the bad state of release this was put on the back burner. Which is fine and understandable, the "As it stands, let's start counting the number of games that do not support ultrawide" seems like a awful excuse, almost childish. We don't need to do this because other games don't, hard to see your favorite studio say something like this. In that vain, Overwatch doesn't support 32:9, they crop it for the players. Lets just point fingers here cause that helps.

So why allow people to play in a unsupported resolution. Why not cap it at the supported ratios? The reason you have people upset is you allow for it even though it is broken. I read this as "We let you play in it, but it doesn't work, maybe we will fix it in the future, but we don't know and don't promise anything" is not a response I was expecting from a great studio like CD Project Red. At least some acknowledgement here puts me at ease you guys know about the issue. Taken back at the response here. I personal tried playing this on a 32:9, clipping issues, yeah but otherwise not unplayable, personally I wont pick this up again until after I see this fixed, that me though. I'm guessing these ratios were meant to be supported, but due to the bad state of release this was put on the back burner. Which is fine and understandable, the "As it stands, let's start counting the number of games that do not support ultrawide" seems like a awful excuse, almost childish. We don't need to do this because other games don't, hard to see your favorite studio say something like this. In that vain, Overwatch doesn't support 32:9, they crop it for the players. Lets just point fingers here cause that helps.

The options are there because some people still prefer to play on a u-wide screen. They'd rather deal with a little interface wonkiness than chop the edges off. Just like trying to run any title that is not officially supported. That's up to the player.

Identifying the reality of ultrawide resolution support is not "childish" -- it's identifying a pretty common misconception. Ultrawide support has been limited since the monitors came out. It remains limited to this day. The same was true when 16:9 monitors were first released, for years and years.

Here's a list of games that do support it. Only the green ticks are native. The golden asterisk means that only some u-wide resolutions are supported. The wrench means it is possible to mod or tweak the game to get it working, but mileage may vary:

Where's the GTA series?
How about Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2?
League of Legends?
Dark Souls 1, 2, or 3?
Battlefront 2?
Where are all the Tomb Raiders?
No Halo? It's been remastered, like...twice.
How many Call of Duty titles don't officially support it?
How many times has Skyrim been released...and they never added u-wide support?

This should be a sign that there's more to the story. That there may be something that players who like widescreen are assuming that simply isn't true. Like: "Adding widescreen support is easy, and all studios should just use it!" And let's move right on to a reality check.

Ultrawide resolutions are a problem for several reasons. Here are a few:
  1. 2D elements need to be completely rebuilt for every desired u-wide aspect ratio. Every icon. Every button. Every menu. Every font used in every message that ever appears in-game. Every character portrait. Every little marker that may appear. Everything. 21:9 -- need to do everything again. 32:9 -- need to do everything again. 64:9 -- need to do everything again. (This is also why many games don't support 4:3 resolutions anymore, either.)
  2. Widening the game means that more assets will need to be loaded on-screen at once. Games -- especially games that are open-world and "seamless" aren't really. That's an illusion. Games use a graphical process called "culling". This means that 3D objects not presently on-screen are not being processed and rendered. This helps to increase FPS. Thus, if you were to freeze the process during gameplay and turn the camera to view what is off-screen, a huge amount of the world would be missing. That's partially why games can be so detailed and still run so well. Culling ensures the GPU doesn't do more work than is necessary, and more detail can be packed into on-screen frames. If I widen the frame, it may wreak havoc with the engine, cause graphical glitching, or make the FPS plummet.
  3. Triggers become problematic. Many games use what is presently on-screen to make other things in the game happen. Very easy to accidentally trigger something before it's supposed to happen and break a quest, fail to throw subsequent flags, create a looping effect, etc. This isn't so common anymore, I don't think, but it can still work this way in games.
Thus, the vast majority of all games do not officially support it. That doesn't mean that players can't get it working well enough on their own. It doesn't even mean that there are guaranteed issues. It simply means that studios may opt not to open Pandora's Box with u-wide support. It's a ton of work, won't really see much of a return (if any), and can potentially lead to a lot of extra issues and expenses in the future.

Not liking the reality doesn't change the reality.

And, I am going to clarify that
I am not answering for CDPR. I am speaking for myself. I have no idea what the reason was that CP2077 didn't offer native ultrawide. You'll have to ask CDPR. I am speaking about what I understand from my experience. For all I know, they may very well include at some point. And that would be cool.

But I am also clarifying that I can find absolutely no official announcements of u-wide support. Anywhere. That would be speculation and assumption on the part of people that didn't actually have that information. I recommend not doing that or listening to it.

The options are there because some people still prefer to play on a u-wide screen. They'd rather deal with a little interface wonkiness than chop the edges off. Just like trying to run any title that is not officially supported. That's up to the player.

Identifying the reality of ultrawide resolution support is not "childish" -- it's identifying a pretty common misconception. Ultrawide support has been limited since the monitors came out. It remains limited to this day. The same was true when 16:9 monitors were first released, for years and years.

Here's a list of games that do support it. Only the green ticks are native. The golden asterisk means that only some u-wide resolutions are supported. The wrench means it is possible to mod or tweak the game to get it working, but mileage may vary:

Where's the GTA series?
How about Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2?
League of Legends?
Dark Souls 1, 2, or 3?
Battlefront 2?
Where are all the Tomb Raiders?
No Halo? It's been remastered, like...twice.
How many Call of Duty titles don't officially support it?
How many times has Skyrim been released...and they never added u-wide support?

This should be a sign that there's more to the story. That there may be something that players who like widescreen are assuming that simply isn't true. Like: "Adding widescreen support is easy, and all studios should just use it!" And let's move right on to a reality check.

Ultrawide resolutions are a problem for several reasons. Here are a few:
  1. 2D elements need to be completely rebuilt for every desired u-wide aspect ratio. Every icon. Every button. Every menu. Every font used in every message that ever appears in-game. Every character portrait. Every little marker that may appear. Everything. 21:9 -- need to do everything again. 32:9 -- need to do everything again. 64:9 -- need to do everything again. (This is also why many games don't support 4:3 resolutions anymore, either.)
  2. Widening the game means that more assets will need to be loaded on-screen at once. Games -- especially games that are open-world and "seamless" aren't really. That's an illusion. Games use a graphical process called "culling". This means that 3D objects not presently on-screen are not being processed and rendered. This helps to increase FPS. Thus, if you were to freeze the process during gameplay and turn the camera to view what is off-screen, a huge amount of the world would be missing. That's partially why games can be so detailed and still run so well. Culling ensures the GPU doesn't do more work than is necessary, and more detail can be packed into on-screen frames. If I widen the frame, it may wreak havoc with the engine, cause graphical glitching, or make the FPS plummet.
  3. Triggers become problematic. Many games use what is presently on-screen to make other things in the game happen. Very easy to accidentally trigger something before it's supposed to happen and break a quest, fail to throw subsequent flags, create a looping effect, etc. This isn't so common anymore, I don't think, but it can still work this way in games.
Thus, the vast majority of all games do not officially support it. That doesn't mean that players can't get it working well enough on their own. It doesn't even mean that there are guaranteed issues. It simply means that studios may opt not to open Pandora's Box with u-wide support. It's a ton of work, won't really see much of a return (if any), and can potentially lead to a lot of extra issues and expenses in the future.

Not liking the reality doesn't change the reality.

And, I am going to clarify that I am not answering for CDPR. I am speaking for myself. I have no idea what the reason was that CP2077 didn't offer native ultrawide. You'll have to ask CDPR. I am speaking about what I understand from my experience. For all I know, they may very well include at some point. And that would be cool.

But I am also clarifying that I can find absolutely no official announcements of u-wide support. Anywhere. That would be speculation and assumption on the part of people that didn't actually have that information. I recommend not doing that or listening to it.

Ugh, lets look at the definition of a bug.

"A software bug is an error, flaw or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways."

Lets then look at this statement from you, "They'd rather deal with a little interface wonkiness than chop the edges off". Yes wonkiness is a bug, unless you are saying CDPR intentionally programmed wonkiness behavior, I don't know I could be wrong here :shrugs:. They accepted the bug, this allowed for player's to play with U-wide and accepted that trade off, perfectly normal thing in programming.

So this statement, "Lack of support for ultrawide-screen is not a bug" is false. If they limited the resolution to only the supported ones, then yes, no bug because you have no "wonkiness", its then a feature request as you stated above. Again, I'm not say CPR officially said they supported anything, just your definition of a bug is wrong and you should not be saying this issue is not one. When or if they fix it also does not change it's definition.

"You'll need to run it in a supported aspect ratio (which for 21:9 monitors means black bars on either side of the screen.)", Not in Cyberpunk, in full screen it will stretch out the resolution the full width of the monitor, or you need to play in windowed mode with no black bars to block out your desktop. It's hard to know if you don't have one to try it.

My remarks on your statement being childish, stays true, again pointing to other games saying they have bugs/unsupported doesn't change the fact this is a "bug" in this game or that this is ok. Yeah I'm sure its probably hard to support it, not saying its not, they might fix it or not.

You listing games, with your "statements" only makes me cringe. The fact you made a separate statement in that blue text showed me you know the difference between a jaded gamer response and what I would expect a response from a CDPR Mod. I don't envy you, sure you have had to deal with a lot, I just didn't expect that from a Mod. Chalking it up to another casualty to this game at this point.

Respond if you want but I won't take you seriously, not that any of this matters as its only a game, seems a waste to need to explain any of this.

Ugh, lets look at the definition of a bug.

"A software bug is an error, flaw or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways."

Lets then look at this statement from you, "They'd rather deal with a little interface wonkiness than chop the edges off". Yes wonkiness is a bug, unless you are saying CDPR intentionally programmed wonkiness behavior, I don't know I could be wrong here :shrugs:. They accepted the bug, this allowed for player's to play with U-wide and accepted that trade off, perfectly normal thing in programming.

So this statement, "Lack of support for ultrawide-screen is not a bug" is false. If they limited the resolution to only the supported ones, then yes, no bug because you have no "wonkiness", its then a feature request as you stated above. Again, I'm not say CPR officially said they supported anything, just your definition of a bug is wrong and you should not be saying this issue is not one. When or if they fix it also does not change it's definition.

"You'll need to run it in a supported aspect ratio (which for 21:9 monitors means black bars on either side of the screen.)", Not in Cyberpunk, in full screen it will stretch out the resolution the full width of the monitor, or you need to play in windowed mode with no black bars to block out your desktop. It's hard to know if you don't have one to try it.

My remarks on your statement being childish, stays true, again pointing to other games saying they have bugs/unsupported doesn't change the fact this is a "bug" in this game or that this is ok. Yeah I'm sure its probably hard to support it, not saying its not, they might fix it or not.

You listing games, with your "statements" only makes me cringe. The fact you made a separate statement in that blue text showed me you know the difference between a jaded gamer response and what I would expect a response from a CDPR Mod. I don't envy you, sure you have had to deal with a lot, I just didn't expect that from a Mod. Chalking it up to another casualty to this game at this point.

Respond if you want but I won't take you seriously, not that any of this matters as its only a game, seems a waste to need to explain any of this.

Native ultrawide resolutions are not supported. Nor is using a VR headset. Neither is trying to play the game with a flightstick. These options will likely appear in the menu because that's how Windows applications function. It doesn't mean that all options are what a program was designed for, nor that they're officially supported. These are not bugs. Until we hear otherwise directly from CDPR, that will remain the reality. If you want to use it anyway, you're more than welcome to, but functionality will be limited. You're also welcome to swap to a 16:9 resolution at any point so the HUD assets align properly.

If you'd rather shake your head and cringe, that's fine, too. There's nothing more I can offer you. You can send the issue here if you'd like:

Top Bottom