Anybody else feeling their soul crushed as soon as they queue into NG?

+
To be fair, though, double-proccing is WAY more common in assimilate because of all the spammy spawn and play cards plus the insanely double-proccing 4p sergeant. The only time you will double proc Harmony in the same turn is by using a leader or doing something super awkward just for the sake of double-proccing.
Yes, that's what I was trying to get across but didn't phrase properly. In the recent double-play seasonal event, Assimilate was proccing off the cards in the player's own deck even. Just nuts.
Post automatically merged:

That's because Nilfgaard is a control faction. From what I understand, such a thing is common in this type of games.

I think your suggestions are way over-the-top. Why are people so determined to attempt to nerf the faction to the ground?
When the myriad possibilities that a game like this offers are pretty much discarded in favor of a single deck, that's bad both because there is lower player incentive for players to chase collections full of cards and ultimately players becoming bored because the viable decks are too limited. Long term survival of the game depends on having as much of the game content be competitive as possible.

Balancing a game like this is a pain and a half no question, but when I am running into (AND PLAYING) the same faction in the majority of my games, with most of the same cards in common, its very very fair to call the issue out.

Last edited:
Heavy ng player here, and I don't use assimilate or ball. I just think they're lame bs for the tryhards. I love the faction otherwise. I typically like to play disruption/control and NG obviously fits that play-style so that's why I use them. I won't ever go pro, but that's ok because I already have a real job :)

My thought is, if your faction/deck of choice has 5 cards that give you great value, and my faction/deck of choice has 5 ways to lock them up then we're even. If NG had only 2 locks, but every other faction had 4 or 5 runaway engines or big potential synergy plays (which they all pretty much do) then YOUR faction/deck needs to be nerfed... I'm sure someone will respond with a huge list of all the possible obscure matchups between every bronze of every faction and why NG is OP against them and somehow make themselves believe that I'm wrong, but my point is facing any faction it's not an auto lose just because they are that faction.
We can't nerf an entire faction just because it doesn't jive with the kind of deck you are trying to build. Are you telling me SK movement wouldnt be the next viy if they were no locks?

In all cases "you" is not anyone in particular, of course.

Guest 4375874

Heavy ng player here, and I don't use assimilate or ball. I just think they're lame bs for the tryhards. I love the faction otherwise. I typically like to play disruption/control and NG obviously fits that play-style so that's why I use them. I won't ever go pro, but that's ok because I already have a real job :)

My thought is, if your faction/deck of choice has 5 cards that give you great value, and my faction/deck of choice has 5 ways to lock them up then we're even. If NG had only 2 locks, but every other faction had 4 or 5 runaway engines or big potential synergy plays (which they all pretty much do) then YOUR faction/deck needs to be nerfed... I'm sure someone will respond with a huge list of all the possible obscure matchups between every bronze of every faction and why NG is OP against them and somehow make themselves believe that I'm wrong, but my point is facing any faction it's not an auto lose just because they are that faction.
We can't nerf an entire faction just because it doesn't jive with the kind of deck you are trying to build. Are you telling me SK movement wouldnt be the next viy if they were no locks?

In all cases "you" is not anyone in particular, of course.
No it doesn't because
1. I can't tutor my cards at any time while proccing my engines and or scenario in a single turn all while maintaining devotion. To counter NG I have to break devotion and it's a guarantee their pt value will outpace mine.
2. Damage and removal is more valuable than cards that provide value so the notion that these are somehow equal just isn't accurate.

No it doesn't because
1. I can't tutor my cards at any time while proccing my engines and or scenario in a single turn all while maintaining devotion. To counter NG I have to break devotion and it's a guarantee their pt value will outpace mine.
2. Damage and removal is more valuable than cards that provide value so the notion that these are somehow equal just isn't accurate.
Again, neither statement is accurate.

1. The only faction tutors NG has are Roderick and war council neither of which is universal or procs engines. If NG is more consistent than your deck, it is likely due to design — not inherent faction advantages.

I know from playing all factions that SK, NG, MO, and SY all have ability to be very consistent with off meta decks (I’m not so sure about ST where certain cards almost have to be drawn) — and from watching streamers, I don’t think NG meta decks are any more consistent than those of other factions.

2. The usefulness of damage and removal vs. providing value is highly situational. Removing a low health engine carries great value, removing 5 health from old spear tip, not so much. I think one key of good decks is balancing value cards and removal cards. If you play a deck with all removal while I play a deck with all value producers, I will win 100% of the time. Of course, this is a stupid extreme, but it illustrates the nonsense of your unqualified claim.

There may be legitimate complaints about NG; these are not them.

its very very fair to call the issue out.
That is not what you were doing, though. You were making suggestions that would completely ruin Assimilate decks. That is the exact opposite of fair; trying to kill something just because you don't like it and think it's too good.

Fortunately CDPR have the complete data and are able to make informed and justified changes, if any are needed. In the case of NG it's likely no (big) changes are actually needed, because people really like to hate on the faction every time it has something good or even just viable.

Guest 4375874

MO can consume it and ST can use Eleyas on it (although it can still be replayed with location+cantarella). Might be a little trickier to stop this play as SK, but SK isnt exactly struggling right now.

The other alternative is to purify the Joachim, as long as the opponent doesnt have access to damage, it should stop the coup (but it still allows the location+canta on later round).

View attachment 11205619
Do you see any spy on my side of the field? And trust me, there were quite a few played :ohstopit:
Just to highlight another issue with your solution lol

So I kept losing to NG hyperthin with triple Joachim and double Cantarella and I decided, ok let me do something about it. The main culprits are Warritt, Cantarella and Joachim...the rest I can play around. So I added a very expensive purify (Queen of the night) because vampires are only barely viable with devotion and Taskmaster loses dominance immediately so that's really my only option. So I now have my purify to counter Joachim and Canta right?

Next I decided to add Dol Dhu Lokke to counter Warritt...it requires timing sure but it at least allows flexibility in the event I don't need Chimera. It would allow me to move the highest power unit to the top of my deck on blue coin which happens to be Aen Elle Conqueror, not perfect but it should work.

So now I'm ready....YES, I will counter...I will Counter.....

After over 50 matches over the weekend I didn't encounter Warrit even once, no hyperthin...Instead I began encountering mostly clogs whereas before I added these cards I encountered almost all hyperthin. So not only is finding a counter difficult but you also have to consider the matching algorithm. And because this faction isn't that flexible as NG, whatever you added now bricks because you can't find the decks you were trying to counter in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4563100

maybe not overpowered but nilfgard new cards are very frustrating. especially location. for 3-2 provisions over the mentor or alchmist or viper it makes cantarella like a 12 provision supercard: play any card from opponent grave, not even a provision limit like the blue dream. it also steals that card so it works like the squirrel in one card. and it can't be interrupted. this is too much power. especially with echo cards like oneiromancy that keep the echo for the nilfgard player.

Just to highlight another issue with your solution lol
I know the subject is Nilfgard, but using conspiracy theories as an argument won't do your statements more accurate.
If you build a deck to fight agaisnt a specific deck, and you loose because you encounter other differents, the problem is not the game, but your decisions.

I know the subject is Nilfgard, but using conspiracy theories as an argument won't do your statements more accurate.
If you build a deck to fight agaisnt a specific deck, and you loose because you encounter other differents, the problem is not the game, but your decisions.
Sorry, do you have solid data on how the matching algo works? Because I would love to get more info on that.

No, but they've already said it's random and they've denied other theories. Because they're the developpers and they have the data I'm going to believe them. Neither me of you hace the data.
That said, if you are speaking about how NG is overpowered you cannot use as argument that the matching works against you, justo because it's not accurate.

No, but they've already said it's random and they've denied other theories. Because they're the developpers and they have the data I'm going to believe them. Neither me of you hace the data.
That said, if you are speaking about how NG is overpowered you cannot use as argument that the matching works against you, justo because it's not accurate.
I mean, if there is an algorithm in place it's not random by definition. And while you're right about using poor matchmaking as support of one's argument in general being weak, dismissing it as "conspiracy theory" is also a pretty bad sport. Especially when you have no data to the contrary.

Anyway, going back to NG, I believe Location+Cantarella, Location+Warritt and Warritt+Cantarella plays are way too easy. If you didn't draw your best card, you are basically screwed, as NG gets to play it (sometimes twice) and their own best cards. Then there's Joachim, which is a +4 tutor you can somehow play 4 times. Then there is a VVM which is a 10+ bronze you can play 3-4 times while proccing assimilate with half of them.. What's the drawback again? Ah, yes. It's a "control faction," so they don't have pointslam or greedy engines! Oh, wait...

I mean, if there is an algorithm in place it's not random by definition. And while you're right about using poor matchmaking as support of one's argument in general being weak, dismissing it as "conspiracy theory" is also a pretty bad sport. Especially when you have no data to the contrary.
So that was your point. I can agree with you I could avoid that expression; it was useless for making my statement.

Guest 4375874

Someone proposed a solution to a problem with specific cards and I literally outlined my findings, step by step....how do you categorize that as conspiracy theories? It's not a theory, unless the definition of the word changed recently and I can't fathom how it would be a conspiracy so I'll leave that one with you.
Post automatically merged:

You seem to be confused about what others have said, or at least here. I would suggest educating yourself a bit on how algorithm's work, there really is no such thing as random. It's simply another algorithm that operates the way it's designed to, the argument (or at least the one I'm making now) is the one they designed is poorly executed and most likely not suitable for a game such as this. That last part is conjecture on my part because I haven't seen their source code but I am familiar with algorithm's and how to recognize that behavior because it's my field of study.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not what you were doing, though. You were making suggestions that would completely ruin Assimilate decks. That is the exact opposite of fair; trying to kill something just because you don't like it and think it's too good.

Fortunately CDPR have the complete data and are able to make informed and justified changes, if any are needed. In the case of NG it's likely no (big) changes are actually needed, because people really like to hate on the faction every time it has something good or even just viable.

I hate on it because its much too consistent. Which drives more players to it for winrate, which makes the game get stale. I love a lot of the design choices... I think the provision system is amazing, I think the reward system is peerless. I'd love to keep playing and intend to for now, but if every other match continues to be NG assimilate (including the seasonal stuff) then this game hits the junk pile with hearthstone before I put more $ in to building the collection further. Its kinda joyless to have a collection of several hundred cards and only use the same 25 over and over.

I hate on it because its much too consistent. Which drives more players to it for winrate, which makes the game get stale. I love a lot of the design choices... I think the provision system is amazing, I think the reward system is peerless. I'd love to keep playing and intend to for now, but if every other match continues to be NG assimilate (including the seasonal stuff) then this game hits the junk pile with hearthstone before I put more $ in to building the collection further. Its kinda joyless to have a collection of several hundred cards and only use the same 25 over and over.

This. Gwent is such a good game, with so many cool cards that I like to try from time to time...but the opposition likes to win with the same cards...over and over again, NG particularly (so interesting a faction, so few cards that actually see play). I was facing a dilemma in the last few days: I'm trying to come up with a deck with almost no bronzes to face NG advantageously and I ended up with a somewhat uninteractive list. I don't wanna punish players from the other factions, but I'm also tired of playing good cards and see that value turn against me.

Sometimes Nilfgaard really makes you just get up and go do something else.

If Joachim/coup isnt fixed soon I will probably take a long break.

They also need to re-do the swing cards that allow someone to win by just dropping it at the end. (Gord and Eist being the ones that are in every deck they fit into.)

Viy needs to be able to be interacted with somehow by the opponent, or it needs to be devotion to limit the tutors (and then they should repair OH).

Lippy needs to be addressed in context. The card is not too strong, but the auto-points need to be dealth with. (Maybe make him Devotion also.)

A lot of this is not to address power issues (except for Joachim/Eist), but to make the game more fun. Some of these things drive players away.

I'm wondering why many people see this as a big issue, when there are many ways to prevent such plays.
This is not true. It may be possible to play through Joachim/coup combinations, but “preventing” them is almost impossible and involves unreasonable gyrations to one’s deck or play. Here are the ways I can think of; let me know if I missed one:

1. You can, with good luck, remove one of these cards before it is played: Kambi might get it; Ihuarraquax or Volgefortz might summon Yoachim; you could try for a lucky Ofiri Mechant, Traheaern, Cantarella, or Viper Alchemist.

2. You can destroy your own Joachim: monsters could burn a consume on it; others could use something like Alzur’s Thunder.

3. You can try to prevent Yoachim from being a target for Coup — say by purifying it and hoping it stays above 3 hit points; or by dropping a defender on its row and hope the defender does not get purified, destroyed, or moved.

4. There are a few more ways you can prevent Joachim from being played four times: you could deny Cantarella (through luck) with one of the ways mentioned above that you deny Joachim; you could Heatwave the first occurrence of Joachim instead of just destroying it; you could heatwave a played Gorthur Gavaed; you could remove Coup from your opponent’s graveyard (Squirrel, Xavier, or absurdly Assire or a Vypper); you could remove Joachim from your graveyard (Lippy, Hjalmar, Ozzrel, Mourntart, Ghoul, Assire, Xavier, or absurdly by discarding Vypper).

In retrospect, I guess there are lots of ways to prevent Joachim/coup. They have only one thing in common — every one is ridiculous.

Top Bottom