Witcher 3 significant frame rate drops with RX 5600XT

+
Hi Guys,

I recently jumped back into the Witcher 3 there after having not played since January, and I noticed that the frame rate was fluctuating quite a bit from when beforehand, I had no issues at all.
Prior to my last playthrough I was getting frames on average of 90+ with Vsync off, and I generally prefer to play with Vsync on so that the gameplay is smoother, so it was capped at 75 FPS - this is everything on Ultra settings too. Now, the frame rate is dipping below 75 and going into the low 60s in more populated areas, and I am also experiencing stuttering quite a bit which is a bit worrying.

My current set up is the RYZEN 7 3700X paired with a RX 5600XT and I purchased both back in December after viewing benchmarks which seemed very satisficing and had no issues myself upon setting up my PC until now.

I thought it might've been a driver issue, so I rolled my drivers back to the update that I had when I last played, but unfortunately that didn't change anything either. I also play with a few mods installed and tried removing them and running the game and still have the same problem.

I'm not really sure what else to do except maybe reinstalling the game - I have the Steam version - or factory resetting my GPU and reupdating the drivers as I download them using the AMD software application and perhaps downloading over previous drivers is causing the issue.

I just thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has experienced this recently. I understand that the frame dips aren't massive, but I was my GPU is more than capable of getting frames better than what I'm getting now and it's concerning me that there may be an issue with the hardware itself!

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!
Hello there. I'm not sure what might have caused the issues you describe, however, if you're encountering stuttering, here's a possible solution, which I came across recently. I don't guarantee it, but it may be worth a try:
  • Open The Witcher 3 main folder
  • Open the 'bin' folder
  • Open 'config'
  • Open 'base'
  • Open the 'rendering' settings file
  • Locate the line 'TextureMemoryBudget'
  • Take note of the current number value -- for me, it was 500 -- in case you need to reset it.
  • Increase the value. I believe you can go as high as half the amount of your GPU's RAM in MB. HOWEVER, I recommend starting with a lower number. I only raised it to 750, and noticed overall improvement.
  • Save the change.
  • Test the game, adjusting the value, with the above limit in mind.
This worked for me, so I hope it helps others. If so, please, let me know, or if you encounter further issues.

Top Bottom