Decent RPG with normal cutscenes like Witcher 3

+
Action adventures are my bread and butter, same with real time hack and slash combat so I mainly played those games . So I decided to try some RPG and started looking online how games look in order to buy them ( PS4 console ).

I check Skyrim with some other RPG and I was shocked to see how stupid cutscenes are played there for example :
- your character does not have own voice just text appears.
- other NPS are just standing in one place , looking in one direction and only movement is opening their mouth .
- in others just text appears not even basic cutscene where chatacters stands in one place like mentioned above.

No real cutscenes were characters actually move and perform some action , where they feel alive like real persons .

How can people even praise games like Skyrim ?

How can you get real immersion with story when cutscenes are so badly done ?

Now I understand even more why Witcher 3 is such big deal , it is really game changer with great open world , nice combat , great graphics , memorable characters and amazing story .

Finally my question :

Is there any RPG that has : fantasy / medieval ( or older) settings with decent real time combat ( not turn based ) with normal cutscenes like in Witcher 3 ( no Japanese RPG please)

BTW I did play souls games and new Assassins creed games which share some similarity to Witcher 3 , also played Diablo 3 and kingdoms of Amalur reckoning.

For me, seriously "like TW3", it seem to be (very) difficult :)
Maybe Kingdom Come... not too bad...(not at all at the level of TW3) but there is very low chance that you like it. So don't believe me and look it before.
I found it pleasant.

How can people even praise games like Skyrim ?
Easily, because no one plays Skyrim for the story, let alone cutscenes. :D

There aren't many games like Witcher 3. Kingdom Come is what I can think of, too, but it's extreme in how realistic it tries to be.

Not everyone needs cut scenes to get immersed. And I don‘t think it‘s always necessary to hear your character talk - in some games you can leave that to imagination.

Overall, I think it‘s a matter of preference and what games you are used to. When Skyrim was released 10 years ago, exploration in this game was pretty amazing. This fantasy world looked stunning. Of course we are now used to better graphics, but 10 years are a long time for games, so that’s not surprising.

But not every roleplaying game is aiming for a cinematic experience. I prefer games like The Witcher 3 but Skyrim was awesome for different reasons.

Kingdom Come is what I can think of, too, but it's extreme in how realistic it tries to be.
I've glanced at this title a few times, based on various favourable recommendations, but never picked it up -- perhaps, ironically, because it looked just a wee bit too realistic. Maybe I shall look into it, one day.

The Witcher games strike that fine balance between fantasy and realism, which many others lack disproportionately. This is what attracted me, and many others, to the first, and keeps me engaged with the Series. Jolly good fun! However, after playing The Witcher titles all these years, I find I still have difficulty looking at, and trying others games -- a bit spoiled, I suppose.

As for cut-scenes, and voiced protagonists, in general, I fancy they're pleasant to have, these days, as games have become more cinematic. Voiceless heroes seem rather old-fashioned, now.

skyrim was one of kind on release, like witcher is atm - wait 10 years and someone will ask u the same question how u could praise W3 so hard. same with this gta vs cp discussion - logical that cp wins in graphics yet alone gta is also 10 years older....

Guest 3847602

Dragon Age series would be an easy recommendation. Although, opinions on 2nd game's combat are divided (personally, I hate it, find it tedious as all hell and can only play DA2 on "casual" difficulty).

Wow, that's a big ask. If you're playing on ps4 what about Horizon Zero Dawn? It's a bit heavier on the action adventure than the rpg but there are cinematic cut scenes.
there are many action adventures like the tombraider reboot series or watchdogs series which work and do kinda well with cutscenes. its also not that easy to say where action adventures ends and rpgs starts nowadays imo. outriders and division also have rpg elements and work with cutscenes. tho they are all not fantasy themed... : /

Wow, that's a big ask. If you're playing on ps4 what about Horizon Zero Dawn? It's a bit heavier on the action adventure than the rpg but there are cinematic cut scenes.
Also Horizon is free until the 14th of May, so it won't cost you anything to find out if you like it 😀

Skyrim is popular thx too modding, you can make it look like next gen with the right mods. And its not really played for the story as someone pointed out. Dragon age is great, 1 and 3 are my favorits. Mass effect if you like space. Would even recomend the lastest assa creed but beware of the heavy microtransactions. Oh and my skyrim looks like this with 980+ mods :)

Attachments

• enb2021_5_3_13_18_06_resultat.jpg
    enb2021_5_3_13_18_06_resultat.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 159
Skyrim is popular thx too modding, you can make it look like next gen with the right mods. And its not really played for the story as someone pointed out. Dragon age is great, 1 and 3 are my favorits. Mass effect if you like space. Would even recomend the lastest assa creed but beware of the heavy microtransactions. Oh and my skyrim looks like this with 980+ mods :)
thats also a fact - he asked for ps4 games and talked about skyrim... tho he actually couldnt judge skyrim to the fullest at all....

thats also a fact - he asked for ps4 games and talked about skyrim... tho he actually couldnt judge skyrim to the fullest at all....
Pretty much, have around 2000h in skyrim le+se combined. All thx too the huge modding community. Need a beefy computer and alot of time spent on the modding but.. It really can extend the gametime dramaticly.

Well, RPGs are not known for voiced protagonist and cutscenes traditionally. Vampires the Bloodline, Fallouts, Baldurs Gate etc... Skyrim is quite old game too.
RPG usually has too much text so they used to be unvoiced for practical reason plus some people prefered unvoiced hero as they imagine themself in the role.
That is why some people prefer it over the Withcer 3—you are not forced to be Jedi swordsman with batmans voice (I prefer W3, just offer different view).
Skyrim is also a sandbox RPG, so not many plays it for film-like experience. That is also why it works so great with mods.

Easily, because no one plays Skyrim for the story, let alone cutscenes. :D

There aren't many games like Witcher 3. Kingdom Come is what I can think of, too, but it's extreme in how realistic it tries to be.
Well I guess no one plays skyrim because of combat too because its really terrible . I did play the game for 3 hours in fun saloon on PC just to test it in order to decide should I buy because I prefer PS4 as gaming platform.
Not everyone needs cut scenes to get immersed. And I don‘t think it‘s always necessary to hear your character talk - in some games you can leave that to imagination.

Overall, I think it‘s a matter of preference and what games you are used to. When Skyrim was released 10 years ago, exploration in this game was pretty amazing. This fantasy world looked stunning. Of course we are now used to better graphics, but 10 years are a long time for games, so that’s not surprising.

But not every roleplaying game is aiming for a cinematic experience. I prefer games like The Witcher 3 but Skyrim was awesome for different reasons.
That is true but for game so popular I really expected much much more. No cut scenes needed for immersion fine , skyrim is bad at this department.

Combat , story and graphics are in my opinion holy trinity of what makes game good . I dont find any of those to be great in skyrim at least not enough to draw me to play the game, so I cant really understand what makes this game big deal .

This is not my hate on game, I dont hate any game , games I dont find interesting I just dont play its that simple.

I am just very surprised skyrim and other RPG are so much behind Witcher 3 by big margin in my own opinion. I simply didnt expect that especially lack of normal cutscenes is many of them.

I am just very surprised skyrim and other RPG are so much behind Witcher 3 by big margin in my own opinion. I simply didnt expect that especially lack of normal cutscenes is many of them.
than maybe u should start with jrpgs.... there are plenty good ones for consoles yet alone square enix provides a massiv portfolio of rpgs, "tales of " games are also great in storytelling, code vein is awesome too and there are many more - there are way more than the "western" ones out there - than again if u dont like the korean flair or anima/manga style in general the vary of good rpgs indeed shrink to a bare minimum.

I'm not alone to think that, that reassures me. To like it, it's not the same story (you're not a warrior, you can't save when you want...)

Top Bottom