The sum should be more valuable than the parts?

+
(*Note* I'm not asking for anything, just venting some thoughts. The game is as it is. Although it might be worth consideration for a future game).
During his/her adventures, V collects mountains of weapons. Enough to supply a battalion. What do they do with all that valuable hardware? A weapon is something quite useful in NC and relatively a bit hard to get, or so it should be. Your piece of iron. Criminals, mercs, guards, common citizens- everyone needs a good gun. There is a whole industry dedicated to making and selling guns. But what do you do with that treasure? You scrap it for parts! Magnificent pistols, assault rifles, even LIGHT MACHINEGUNS, all reduced to a few screws and bolts, that will let you improve your flashy miniskirt from 13.8 armor to 14.7. *Beep* You're carrying too much (like 25 assault rifles!). Oh, time to go scrap scrap scrap.
It's a pity really. Weapons should have more value, selling them should be a major source of income, which you would then use to buy CHEAP parts that would allow you to improve your skirt (and gun, armor, etc.). Sure, they could be scrapped for parts but that would be a big loss of value. If the game were logical.

(*Note* I'm not asking for anything, just venting some thoughts. The game is as it is. Although it might be worth consideration for a future game).
During his/her adventures, V collects mountains of weapons. Enough to supply a battalion. What do they do with all that valuable hardware? A weapon is something quite useful in NC and relatively a bit hard to get, or so it should be. Your piece of iron. Criminals, mercs, guards, common citizens- everyone needs a good gun. There is a whole industry dedicated to making and selling guns. But what do you do with that treasure? You scrap it for parts! Magnificent pistols, assault rifles, even LIGHT MACHINEGUNS, all reduced to a few screws and bolts, that will let you improve your flashy miniskirt from 13.8 armor to 14.7. *Beep* You're carrying too much (like 25 assault rifles!). Oh, time to go scrap scrap scrap.
It's a pity really. Weapons should have more value, selling them should be a major source of income, which you would then use to buy CHEAP parts that would allow you to improve your skirt (and gun, armor, etc.). Sure, they could be scrapped for parts but that would be a big loss of value. If the game were logical.
I'm confused. I sell the weapons to buy parts. Are you relatively early in the game (ie is your level relatively low), such that weapons aren't worth much?

In early game, yes. Weapons does not bring in much. But at the end-game, 500-1000 eddies for one weapon, it's way better. (even if I never sell a single one, I dismantle them)
My commons/uncommons components are for craftings ammunition and mostly for armadillo mod (way better than upgrade clothes) :)

a good gun item is worth more than its parts, but a lot of the weapons parts could be better used making a better item. Also, if you are really good at sacvenging parts you can get more value than some one else.

this isn't that different than real life, where used car parts are worth more than the car itself for skilled people.

Short version, some items are worth more than their parts, some are not, knowing the difference is how you make $$$

In the HardWired supplement for the original RPG, there was a whole section on designing, assembling, and disassembling your own firearms. It's kind of been an integral part of the game from the very beginning.

I figured out the cost/ benefit of dismantling items, to see what's worth scrapping and what selling. The value of the components you get, so you can compare with the value of the item before grabbing the hammer.
White/common clothes 67
White/common weapons 77
Green/uncommon clothes 133
Green/Uncommon weapons 143
Blue/rare clothes 163
Blue/rare weapons 173
Pink/epic clothes 209
Pink/epic weapons 219

I haven't done legendary because at the point I am in my current game I haven't got any yet 8*D but I imagine they will keep along the same progression.
From what I can tell, apart from a few specials the only weapons worth selling are shotguns and Defenders. Most clothes are worth peanuts (even legendaries), a few stand out as very valuable.
But this doesn't change the gist of my post, from a purely roleplaying point of view it is a sin to scrap weapons! ;-)

I figured out the cost/ benefit of dismantling items, to see what's worth scrapping and what selling. The value of the components you get, so you can compare with the value of the item before grabbing the hammer.
White/common clothes 67
White/common weapons 77
Green/uncommon clothes 133
Green/Uncommon weapons 143
Blue/rare clothes 163
Blue/rare weapons 173
Pink/epic clothes 209
Pink/epic weapons 219

I haven't done legendary because at the point I am in my current game I haven't got any yet 8*D but I imagine they will keep along the same progression.
From what I can tell, apart from a few specials the only weapons worth selling are shotguns and Defenders. Most clothes are worth peanuts (even legendaries), a few stand out as very valuable.
But this doesn't change the gist of my post, from a purely roleplaying point of view it is a sin to scrap weapons! ;-)
Yes in theory, but in the end there is so much loot that you either sell them or dismantle them.
I only keep the legendary / iconic ones (some epics before level 34).
All the rest is dismantled, not even sold. It's too annoying to go to a sell point, because generally, you're overweight...
And I finish with more than 40K commons / 20K uncommons components (1K rare/0.5K epic and a hundred legendary).
I use them, I don't collection them (upgrade/crafts) :)

Top Bottom