The little things...

+
those of you who just fly through games dont care for this stuff, meh...go play a run and gun game then. I want a full on Role playing game where there is plenty of atmosphere to soak up.

Saying that people who disagree with your vision of the game should play something else only works if you already know what the game is going to be like.

You may want to read this to give a better insight into the type of games that CDPR make.
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/192499/The_CD_Projekt_RED_journey_Respecting_fans_while_growing_as_a_studio.php

We focus on what we do best, and what we do best is tell stories in big, epic, mature dark fantasy settings -- or in the case of Cyberpunk, futuristic settings. But this is the thing we have to focus on. You will not see from us a lot of diverse stuff. We will not suddenly start making racing games, because I do not think that is where our strength is.

So we don't have that much info yet on the game, but it's going to be story-driven, and expecting it to be some kind of real-life simulation game is probably just as inaccurate as expecting it to be a run and gun game.

I think they should leave out any drug or alcohol use for the pc. plenty of reference from the npc but to play it safe with ratings and all just dont allow the pc to get high or drunk, dont need that in my game.

In fable 1 you could get fat if you pig out all the time, likewise you can get real skinny if you did not eat...i LOVED that....again this is a next gen RPG, all these things should be taken into consideration. This is an important thread.

All things considered after all this is a futuristic RPG. Everything that I have mentioned has been in other "yesterday" RPGs...so just rehashing what could work well for a futuristic role playing game with high levels of immersion.

I think they should leave out any drug or alcohol use for the pc. plenty of reference from the npc but to play it safe with ratings and all just dont allow the pc to get high or drunk, dont need that in my game.

In fable 1 you could get fat if you pig out all the time, likewise you can get real skinny if you did not eat...i LOVED that....again this is a next gen RPG, all these things should be taken into consideration. This is an important thread.

All things considered after all this is a futuristic RPG. Everything that I have mentioned has been in other "yesterday" RPGs...so just rehashing what could work well for a futuristic role playing game with high levels of immersion.

No offense but thats a terrible idea. They shouldn't leave out anything. I hope to see drinking and drug use in this game. Our characters should be able to drink and do drugs as well. I hate restrictions like that. I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!

But i agree your point on Fable 1. Your body should be effected on how much you eat, drink and use drugs. Maybe not as much as getting fat as a pig, but it could work.

No offense but thats a terrible idea. They shouldn't leave out anything. I hope to see drinking and drug use in this game. Our characters should be able to drink and do drugs as well. I hate restrictions like that. I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!

But i agree your point on Fable 1. Your body should be effected on how much you eat, drink and use drugs. Maybe not as much as getting fat as a pig, but it could work.

Yeah I knew I would cop some flak for mentioning a restriction of substance abuse in 77. I,m kinda wish washy on the subject. My Rockerboy character would be hitting the heavy shit but I just imagine the shit storm this could bring when it ships. We will still get a heavy dose of the drug epidemic culture in this game without the actual use of intoxicants. I would be carefull with pc drug and alcohol use in 77 if I were CDPR.

You do know that even in this very forum it is in the rules that users here are not permitted to talk about such things? Like for instance I would prolly get in troble if I mentioned that I sling rock on the streets and slam hammer on the weekends.

So we don't have that much info yet on the game, but it's going to be story-driven, and expecting it to be some kind of real-life simulation game is probably just as inaccurate as expecting it to be a run and gun game.

that's so true it hurts a lot of topics

As to smoking... I don't see how being able to actually smoke would add immersion. If I had the possibility to smoke in the game, I know I'd never use it. Once, twice, maybe, but afterwards, no. Instead I'd like to see my character pop out a cig every once in while by himself when I don't touch the controller for a while. Two, maybe three drags and a relaxed look on his face before he throws it away. Like the guy from Vanquish does it. That would pretend that this guy on the screen doesn't actually need me to do something, that he's more than just a dead piece of zeros and ones that's completely helpless without me. And thus, would immerse me personally more than some useless abilitiy to smoke that I never make use of.

If it isn't really good for anything, then why implent it just for the sake of it.

As to smoking... I don't see how being able to actually smoke would add immersion. If I had the possibility to smoke in the game, I know I'd never use it. Once, twice, maybe, but afterwards, no. Instead I'd like to see my character pop out a cig every once in while by himself when I don't touch the controller for a while. Two, maybe three drags and a relaxed look on his face before he throws it away. Like the guy from Vanquish does it. That would pretend that this guy on the screen doesn't actually need me to do something, that he's more than just a dead piece of zeros and ones that's completely helpless without me. And thus, would immerse me personally more than some useless abilitiy to smoke that I never make use of.

If it isn't really good for anything, then why implent it just for the sake of it.

Aha!

You are unfamiliar with the Shadow Moses incident aren't you?

Solid Snake thought cigs were so important in a mission that he smuggled some in when he was sent into a top secret nuclear research facility in Alaska.

They proved to be useful in the game and if you dont know how then you missed out a GREAT game.

Plus to watch your character kick ass in a confrontation with a cig hanging out of his mouth just gives you the sense that your controlling a bad ass. I played that game through several times with Snake smoking the entire time. I thought it was classic gameplay at its finest.

No thank you. CDPR makes their games around STORY using their great writing skills (among many). Keeping details like suggested in this thread would only hurt the flow and progress of the story that CDPR's writers are cooking up and such mechanics would soon make the game tedious.

No thank you. CDPR makes their games around STORY using their great writing skills (among many). Keeping details like suggested in this thread would only hurt the flow and progress of the story that CDPR's writers are cooking up and such mechanics would soon make the game tedious.

EXACTLY. Tell 'em how 'tis.

I think as long as the simulated world has personality and depth, we shouldn't worry about the inclusion or exclusion of specific items. From my perspective, the game world will have personality if it portrays something inherently unique and characteristic of the game's subject matter, like a braindancer stumbling into the road while you're driving along. There are a lot of ways to add personality or depth to the game world, and CDPR's track record shows that they have a handle on that sort of thing.

My own wishlist: if the game is going to have lots of NPC reactions to your presence, appearance, decisions etc, I'd like some way to become incognito, like with wearing different clothes or a disguise. This means that if you change your appearance beyond a certain amount, you should be percieved as a different person.

Maybe important NPCs should remember you by your disguises- like you could be a Corp during the day, and a Solo by night. I would like to do something like that.

As to smoking... I don't see how being able to actually smoke would add immersion..

Smoking is cool, particularly in a cyberpunk world where you have things like Anti-Cancer nanotech, so any ill-effects, other than looking boss, are removed.

Style over substance.

Plus gotta use my thumb lighter for something.

I fail to see how the ability to eat, drink, do drugs, smoke, sleep, sit, etc... would have any impact on story at all... much less a negative one.

That's because you are not a man of vision, Wisdom. It's -obvious-.

Also, don't promote smoking! It's bad! Inappropri....ah, who'm I kidding. It does look cool, at least in Cyberpunk. AND. AND. It makes a great sight-target at night on idiots who really prefer style over substance!

If next gen games are going to bring some revolution and as far as I know cyberpunk is gonna be one of them(if not the first) and surely a revolutionary one I do not really think we should thinkf of many limitations. Therefore all the 'little' things afore mentioned should be obviously avaiable. and if you dont like it you dont do it as in normal life actually. If there is gonna be super realistic living urban environment at the master cg level which I strongly believe we gonna experience in CP '77 I would absolutely love to have a cig after killing some scum or trafficking some illegal shit for my contractor and simply watch the hustle n' bustle of the city around me :)

If there is gonna be super realistic living urban environment at the master cg level which I strongly believe we gonna experience in CP '77 I

Why do you believe this?
Saying you want it is fine, but I can't think of anything that would justify a belief that it's a done deal.

EXACTLY. Tell 'em how 'tis.
If all I wanted was a story, I would read a book. It's not like I'm asking for "Cooking Mama '77" or "Simspunk", I'm just asking for another layer of realism for the sake of immersion. I want eating and sleeping in the game and I want there to be a valid reason for it, not just aesthetics. If it comes in the form of a 'realism mode', as Wars suggested, then I would be fine with that.

Smoking is cool, particularly in a cyberpunk world where you have things like Anti-Cancer nanotech, so any ill-effects, other than looking boss, are removed.

Style over substance.

Plus gotta use my thumb lighter for something.
I highlighted the important bit there so everyone can take note of it.

It must be optional or it's annoying content filler. Exotic food and drink with small stat bonuses are fine. TW1 does it, but it's there for fun and has little gameplay value. Required sleeping? No. It would be a pain. I want game mechanics to have a purpose. As for social drinking, TW1 has a version of that as well. They might be able to expand on it, make it more interesting.

If all I wanted was a story, I would read a book. It's not like I'm asking for "Cooking Mama '77" or "Simspunk", I'm just asking for another layer of realism for the sake of immersion. I want eating and sleeping in the game and I want there to be a valid reason for it, not just aesthetics. If it comes in the form of a 'realism mode', as Wars suggested, then I would be fine with that.

And if I wanted to experience eating, drinking, pissing, buying shares, furnishing a home, sleeping, I wouldn't pay $60 for a video game, I'd just walk away from the computer.

I highlighted the important bit there so everyone can take note of it.

How does "style over substance" equate to "real life simulator"? Again, people are reading things that are not said. I don't see anything remotely stylish about watching an avatar eat. If anything, I interpret the type of requests made here as substance over style.

As slim said, these mechanics can rapidly turn into annoying content filler. I don't want a game sold as 100 hours of content where 20 hours of those are spent performing mundane everyday activities, even if they are optional. I remember games like Wizardry where you had sleeping that took real-world time, and even though it was trivial time, it got boring very, very fast.

CDPR isn't a huge monolithic developer, and if you read any of the articles about their company, or their plans, or have any knowledge of the games they develop, you'll know that they don't intend or WANT to become a huge monolithic developer, so time spent producing animation for your player to do all of this "filler" is time NOT spent on developing a game. A game. Something that contains challenges, is competitive, where you achieve success or failure. Not Second Life.

Top Bottom