Should certain Roles be eliminated?

+
Just read this for the first time.

I always thought of the Rockerboys as some classic sort of rocker punks. Yes, also rockers can be punks. Think of these Hell's Angels, that's what comes to my mind when I think about this class in a videogame. The Hells Angels Gang basically is nothing but a organized gang of punks. It actually really surprises me that you as the uberfan think of Rockerboys as you do here. Concerts? What the fudge? Not in the game, that's for sure.

I instead think of very brute, organized gang criminals on floating motorbikes roaming the wasteland, similar to the Nomads.

Um... what????

Just curious mate, but where are you from? I only ask because while both bunks and bikers live on the outside of society, no one here in America really calls a biker a punk or a punk a biker... at least not in a descriptive term.

And what book are you reading?

The core Cyberpunk book describes the Rockerboy class pretty straigthforward. Rockers are people who use their power of personality to sway the minds of others. Now in the game the role describes politicians, religious leaders, and activists.... but the most common form a rockerboy takes is that of a musician. Lets take a look at the cover of the Rockerboy sourcebook shall we?

Here is the most Iconic Rockerboy in the game, Johnny Silverhand, looking oh so bon-jovi. This is also the image used in the description of the class in the orginal 2013 game and the first edition 2020 rulebook.

Here is the image from the 2nd edition 2020 rulebook, with the revised euro art.

Here is the image for Rockerboy promotion from the Cyberpunk 2020 card game.

As for the Hell's Angels, they are pretty much stereo typical nomads, or just another street gang, depending on which chapters your are talking about.

Now this isn't to say a rockerboy can't be a member, or even a leader, as Rockers tend to make very charismatic leaders (their special ability is called charismatic leadership after all), but yeah, typically they are portrayed as musicians in the game. While the majority of the game art for them portrays them more as glam rock hair bands, they are described as being more Rage Against The Machine, The Clash, The Goats, Public Enemy, U2, and other highly political groups who infuse their music and messages heavily with calls for change, fighting the oppressors, and other activism.

Now that I've seen an in depth description of Rockerboy, I'm more convinced than ever the role should be axed.

Now that I've seen an in depth description of Rockerboy, I'm more convinced than ever the role should be axed.

What? No way, they just need to be re-imagined for the video game.

I would expect them to play a strictly social game, with some combat options, and mostly just rabble rousing or whatever, haha.

If the game has unique storylines for each role, then there shouldn't be a problem in keeping Rockerboy gameplay interesting.

...just for fun, thought I'd dig up the old Role Descriptions thread.

Given my contributions, I think it's pretty clear that I *do* want Rockerboys included. (Though, that goes back to the discussion Wis and I had early on, as to whether there should be rigid Role archetypes or not; core PnP rules, or the Interlock Unlimited revisions.)

The core Cyberpunk book describes the Rockerboy class pretty straigthforward. Rockers are people who use their power of personality to sway the minds of others. Now in the game the role describes politicians, religious leaders, and activists.... but the most common form a rockerboy takes is that of a musician.
Before Rockerboy didn't sound very interesting but Wisdom's post has turned me around. Being able to play religious leader or (corrupt)politician would be perhaps even cooler than playing corporate :D

Ha.

But seriously, though, when I think "Corporate" in CP2020 terms, Dane Vogel (from Saints Row 2) embodies what a Corp is for me.

I hope they include all the roles. From the main book and the other books. Do not see how they could though. Rockerboys have never been one of my favorites. Netrunner was the first character I made. Still use him as an NPC.

Cops, Corps and Nomads should be included. For me, they are the hearth of the Cyberpunk. Without them this game will be CRAP.

I really hope they can find a way to include ALL roles.

How many are there, like 10? That's a tall order. I'd rather have fewer roles and more depth to each one.

How many are there, like 10? That's a tall order. I'd rather have fewer roles and more depth to each one.

Yeah, sadly thats true. Some of the roles may have to become secondary. But those three are dear to many of us. It doesn't make sense to make a game majority cannot enjoy fully.

I say there should be four major roles in CP77. Solo, Cop, Corp, Nomad. All others could be secondary.

I guess it is mostly up to CDPR isn't it. I would love to see what they will come up with.

Top Bottom