The little things...

+
It seems there are effectivly two 'camps' here:

On the one hand, you have the guys who are more interested in the story, (Gregski being an obvious example,) and on the other you have the guys more interested in the 'experience'.

I reckon the whole thing can be resolved with game modes. Tie the level of realism to 'difficulty'. Rather than the usual tougher enemies and minigames, make the actual gameplay tougher, or make them both tougher.

But required eating and sleeping won't make the game tougher, just more tedious. And while Gregski has mentioned story in this context, I think it has more to do with gameplay. There are better ways to add to immersion.

There also seem to be two camps regarding whether or not these are "little things". If these are just background noise, adding some degree of realism, then yes, they may be describable as "little things", but suggestions like

"If they don't sleep, should they be penalised in some way"
"Forcing us, and our companions to get a little shut eye would provide another layer of immersion"
"Yet I only remember STALKER requiring your character to eat, (though I may be wrong.) These days, food is looked at as some sort of buff or healing mechanic. I think that sucks balls"
"Long time without eating and sleeping should result in skill and stat penalties."
"some effects of beeing sleepless would also be nice"

all of which were on the first page, are big things. It's a big thing when you need to spend 10 seconds watching some animation of someone going to sleep for the 100th time. It's a big thing when you're forced to go looking for food when you want to carry out missions. So are you guys talking about little things, or dirty great game-changing mechanisms?

I used the term "little things" because they are the things we do every day and don't really put much thought to, not because they are inconsequential.

I am not even suggesting any sort 10 second forced animation for eating or drinking. Double clicking food or whatever in the inventory and you eat as you move, drive, whatever. I don't want the game to get slowed down unnecessarily.

As for sleeping, just activate a sleep inducer in a car, bed, sofa, coffin hotel or some other suitable location. Fade to black for a few seconds and wake up at the appropriate time.

I am not even suggesting any sort 10 second forced animation for eating or drinking. Double clicking food or whatever in the inventory and you eat as you move, drive, whatever. I don't want the game to get slowed down unnecessarily.

You've changed your mind?

"I'm hoping for simple stuff like putting a chocolate bar in your mouth or moving chopsticks from a noodle box to your mouth."

And for sleeping?

"I can't argue that the features I, (and others,) are really interested in seeing CAN become monotenous and even soul-crushing. That is because they were handled badly. They are tied to the speed at which time moves in the game, so if 24 hours in the game passes in an hour in real life, these things will become tedious fast. However, if 24 hours of game time passes in 12 hours, these things become much more manageable. You would probably only do them once during even a really long session."

That comment still seems to imply that your would want a six-hour sleep to last 7 1/2 minutes of real time, or am I misreading it?
From memory, in Wizardry, a night's sleep took around a minute to play out. That was 59 seconds too long.

You've changed your mind?

"I'm hoping for simple stuff like putting a chocolate bar in your mouth or moving chopsticks from a noodle box to your mouth."

And for sleeping?

"I can't argue that the features I, (and others,) are really interested in seeing CAN become monotenous and even soul-crushing. That is because they were handled badly. They are tied to the speed at which time moves in the game, so if 24 hours in the game passes in an hour in real life, these things will become tedious fast. However, if 24 hours of game time passes in 12 hours, these things become much more manageable. You would probably only do them once during even a really long session."

That comment still seems to imply that your would want a six-hour sleep to last 7 1/2 minutes of real time, or am I misreading it?
From memory, in Wizardry, a night's sleep took around a minute to play out. That was 59 seconds too long.
I can walk down the road eating a chocolate bar perfectly well. I don't have to stand still to do it. Most takeaway food is also pretty easy to eat on the go. That's kind of the point isn't it?

And at no point did I mean to imply that we should ever have to sit around with our thumbs up our asses waiting ages for our characters to wake up. I meant to imply a similar sleeping method that Skyrim and Fallout have for resting/waiting. Set a time and wake up then. And with a sleep inducer you get the equivelant of 8 hours sleep from 2 hours, which is why almost everyone takes stimulants, uppers, downers and god knows what in 2020.

The comments I made about the passage of time was a generalisation for the rate at which time could pass in the game. It was an example that if time passes slower in the game, then things like eating and sleeping would need to be done less often.

I'm just curious regarding these other games that have these features - how many times seeing it does it take to get from "awesome" to "not noticing it any more" to "do anything to avoid it"?

Did anyone turn on the faucets in DX:HR on their second playthrough?

I would love to be forced to sleep, whether it be at a hotel or house/apartment, our characters and companions need to sleep in order to get full health and full ability. Also, I agree we need to eat, restaurants, diners, cafe's, etc.

I'm just curious regarding these other games that have these features - how many times seeing it does it take to get from "awesome" to "not noticing it any more" to "do anything to avoid it"?

Did anyone turn on the faucets in DX:HR on their second playthrough?

I didn't feel like I was truly in future Detroit until I could turn on a faucet. :p

I didn't feel I was truly playing Deus Ex until i got in trouble for going in the women's bathroom.

I want to put a rat in a microwave and make it explode, eat a plate of donuts, sign an autograph and punch a spoiled actor in the face. And I dont care if it takes 12 years to make that happen.

/total video game industry sarcasm. guarantied DB dont get it.

Wish list

To be able to sit down in cars, clubs, flats etc and have access to a sleep mechanic while seated.

To be able to eat and drink with appropriate sound effects and animations. I dont want to eat and drink from the menus but rather in game time. It can be quick, just enough time for the sound effects of my dude gulping down a sushi roll and slaming a soft drink.

To be able to smoke cigarettes. I want to see my character in 3rd person smoking a cig while kicking someones ass. Each cig i light up should last 90 seconds. cigs should be euipable so on the push of a button my dude sparks one up without going to menu.

These are the little things I would really want, the other ideas would just be fluff, a nice touch.

I want to put a rat in a microwave and make it explode, eat a plate of donuts, sign an autograph and punch a spoiled actor in the face. And I dont care if it takes 12 years to make that happen.

/total video game industry sarcasm. guarantied DB dont get it.

Thanks for the sarcasm tag, I would absolutely and definitely not have got that otherwise.

If you go through some of the threads there's one wish that is constantly appearing when certain ideas about game mechanics meet with objections....make it optional!...let us toggle it from the game menu and so on.

Now, I don't remember too many games that I played recently, in fact I have a hard time remembering any game that would allow players to toggle so many gameplay mechanics on and off as the player pleases. Seriously, the developers shouldn't spend their time on developing certain mechanics and then placing additional layer of code (even if it's minimal, but it's still work) to let people choose if they want to sleep, eat, drink and take a piss in the game. Or not. Or maybe just eating. Or just pissing. Or sleeping, with a pink pillow giving +10% to stamina restoration.

Lets get real. CDPR are game developers and artists with certain vision of the game. Sorry for the party pooping, but so far not too many of their ideas for game mechanics resolved around simulating every little activity that people do in real life. So far, and that is since 2007 when the first Witcher game was released, CDPR made their name in the industry and among gamers around telling STORIES and that is their main goal with Witcher 3 and CP2077, repeated in every possible interview available.

As Dragonbird pointed out, things suggested in this thread are not little but actually big things, affecting gameplay in important way. And personally I oppose these ideas, as they would just make the game a tedious mess IMO. There are many other ways CDPR uses to increase player's immersion in the game world successfully and so far they never used these suggested here. CP2077 is supposed to be a game with a story to tell, not a real life sim.

Now, looking at the success of Arma's mod DayZ I would say that there are people that find such mechanics enjoyable. And that's probably why DayZ started as a mod, because the core of Arma wasn't survival. If there are modders that take CP2077 and make a survival mod/game out of it - be my guest, hell, I would probably play it. But including such mechanics in the core game is not bringing enough benefits to justify the development effort.

If you go through some of the threads there's one wish that is constantly appearing when certain ideas about game mechanics meet with objections....make it optional!...let us toggle it from the game menu and so on.

Now, I don't remember too many games that I played recently, in fact I have a hard time remembering any game that would allow players to toggle so many gameplay mechanics on and off as the player pleases.

Optional is not the right word. At least not for anyone who is reasonable talking about this. The word we are looking for is ability... as in having the ability to do these things, even if they have little or no impact on the game itself.

As Dragonbird pointed out, things suggested in this thread are not little but actually big things, affecting gameplay in important way. And personally I oppose these ideas, as they would just make the game a tedious mess IMO. There are many other ways CDPR uses to increase player's immersion in the game world successfully and so far they never used these suggested here. CP2077 is supposed to be a game with a story to tell, not a real life sim.

How does having the ability to eat or drink, smoke, do drugs, sit, kneel lay down, etc... have any impact on the story whatsoever? How does it negativly impact gameplay?

A couple of animations? Animations that are almost guaranteed to be programmed in for NPC's anyway?

Did the ability to eat or drink really negatively impact Sleeping Dogs or GTA 4? Did the ability to sit really have any negative impact for Fallout 3 or New Vegas? Did you character lighting up if he sat still for long enough, or go fishing, or lift weights, impact Saints Row 2 negatively in the slightest?

Top Bottom