Gwent gamedesign problems

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already written about what I don't like about Gwent. Here are links to these topics:

1. Gwent That I Desire.
2. Gwent's Main Problem.
3. Make Gwent A Card Game Again.
4. Join The Light Side.

It's been a while since I quit Gwent because it doesn't suit me. Now I tried to return to it. And what do I see? Has anything changed since then? In this thread, I want to draw attention again to the problems of this game, which are sharply evident after Hearthstone, which I still consider a role model.

In general, I would call the problem of Gwent this way: a boring game that makes you suffer.
What is the difference between modern CDPR and Blizzard? Blizzard has the Entertainment suffix. CDPR, as far as I know, does not have a suffix. But looking at Gwent and Cyberpunk 2077, I would definitely give your studio the suffix "Misery". Because you make people suffer. That is, your company is definitely betting on masochists who like to suffer. But the problem is that there are very few such people. After all, most people love fun, entertainment. They come from hard work, which they have already suffered so much, and sit down to their favorite game, in which they would like to relax, have fun and pleasure. But you offer them suffering. Blizzard does everything right, it makes games for normal people and therefore earns a lot of money. You make games for masochists and therefore you will never earn a lot of money.

What makes Gwent suffer?

1. Dirty dark interface and design. As I have noticed before, I am only satisfied with the Book of Awards in Gwent. Everything else is unpleasant dirt and garbage that people absolutely do not want to see. This is blood, dirt, destruction on the playing fields, these are unpleasant card frames, these are sloppy, unglued contours. This is a whole dark, oppressive atmosphere (instead of the fun tavern that was in beta). I also do not like the split screen with the leaders before the battle - it looks very shabby.

2. Lack of emotions. When compared to Hearthstone, it gives a lot of emotions: each card has a sound of not only appearing in Gwent, but also the sound of disappearing, and for legendary cards, it is also a spectacular appearance that makes you love and be proud of this card. And in Gwent, everything is exactly the same: there is only the sound of appearance (often cut out of the Witcher 3 project), and the blows and disappearances are the same and boring.

3. Overloaded and complex mechanics. Look at the description of the Hearthstone cards and the description of the Gwent cards. What do you see? Obviously, Hearthstone cards are much simpler and clearer than the confusing descriptions of cards from Gwent. Not only do many cards have different triggers on different rows, but the conditions are very complex and contain a lot of numbers. Also, there is absolutely no interest in mechanics with a charge count like the factions of the Kingdoms of the North or the Syndicate, which, I am sure, are the least popular for this reason. After all, you need not only to count the total balance of points on the field, so you also need to calculate all these charges and coins. This is very difficult and not pleasant at all. Gwent has too much math, which makes the game difficult, boring, and overloaded, and that puts most people off. In the Gwent beta, everything was much easier and more pleasant.

4. Too much control. Excessive control leads to tension. It is better to make many mechanics automatic without all these orders, distribution of charges and coins. The game should be made easier. It is so difficult because of the many different cards. Why complicate it with excessive control? Especially on mobile devices.

5. Incorrect use of rows. There are two rows in Gwent, but they don't make any sense, because they are only used to activate different card triggering and unit allocation. It looks ugly. They should be used for their intended purpose: melee units should be played in the first row, and ranged units should be played in the back row. Then it would look beautiful. And now these two rows personally cause me confusion and disgust because of their meaninglessness.

6. A complex and unfriendly ladder. In Hearthstone, everything is simple: you take your favorite deck and go up, improving it as needed. In Gwent, you are forced to play with different factions, which, perhaps, you do not like at all. But you have to play with what you don't like. This borns playing games just for a point, what destroys opponents' game experience. You must study the other cards, although you may not have the time to do so. You just want to have fun in your favorite game after work. In this regard, your company only thought about yourself. Do you think about the players at all? Or are they just a source of money for you? Do you think about making them feel good about your game? After all, this is what you need to think about first in order to attract and, most importantly, keep people in your game. The competition is now very tough among network projects. You need to fight for each person, think about how to make him feel good. But even then you only thought of yourself: "we want a person to buy as many barrels as possible, so they have to play different factions to advance in the ladder". It doesn't matter what he thinks about it. Ladder in Hearthstone is much easier and clearer - you just go ahead and win on whatever you want.

In short, everything in the game is made to make people suffer, but not have fun. Hence all of Gwent's problems. Think about people, think about joy and entertainment, and then the game will be transformed and shine like a star, to which many people will be drawn.

Do you even play the game yourself? Do you love her? For you, it should be a favorite brainchild that you play every day and strive to improve. Do you personally like this game, developers?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom