Safe Cracker Nerf

+
I am happy that the safecrackers are getting nerfed. They were obviously overtuned. Some people however are not happy with the nerf and think it is the end of Lined Pockets. I don't think so. There have been many suggestions on what to do with the card like reducing base power and keep intimidate or remove intimidate and remain as is. People seem to prefer keeping the intimidate tag so i thought about it some more. What if CDPR keeps the change they want to make now by increasing its base power by 1? But still keeps its intimidate tag and only boosts by 1 for each 2 crimes in hand. This way the best round 1 hand which would be 7 crimes, 2 safe crackers and a spender would only allow the safe crackers to deploy at a maximum of 7 strength which is not as bad as the maximum of 10 it currently drops at. It's probably a really late suggestion but figured i might as well share. With this change the safe crackers would probably avg more at a 6 on deploy without loosing its engine value. Idk if people will like this but yea..what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Guest 4416545

Seems a great idea to me, i like more safecracker to stay as it is but with way less point reach than just a point slam card which seems its goin to be.

But well Who knows, maybe in a future they do something similar as you proppose.

Lined pockets won't be a meta deck next season as the nerfs seriously cripple the deck. I don't care anyway as it keeps the meta fresh. Outside of Skellige warriors not a single deck is a tier 1/2 deck forever.

Seems a great idea to me, i like more safecracker to stay as it is but with way less point reach than just a point slam card which seems its goin to be.

But well Who knows, maybe in a future they do something similar as you proppose.
I also think its a better idea because they slam less points in their first two cards and they can gain more if they play longer but whatever...

Why is it that as soon as a halfway decent bronze card gets played it is immediately nerfed to oblivion? Meanwhile absurdly powered gold cards are continually introduced — then buffed. Across the board, we need stronger bronzes, weaker golds, and less general purpose tutoring both to increase deck variety and to increase the proportion of time that playing well actually influences the outcome more than failure to draw as many gold cards.

If there was a problem with crime decks, it was never safe cracker — it was too many coins and gold cards that got too much value from them.

Why is it that as soon as a halfway decent bronze card gets played it is immediately nerfed to oblivion? Meanwhile absurdly powered gold cards are continually introduced — then buffed. Across the board, we need stronger bronzes, weaker golds, and less general purpose tutoring both to increase deck variety and to increase the proportion of time that playing well actually influences the outcome more than failure to draw as many gold cards.

If there was a problem with crime decks, it was never safe cracker — it was too many coins and gold cards that got too much value from them.
We can have strong bronzes not broken ones. Bronzes should never feel like golds.

It's not played because the archetype where it feets isn't used; but that has nothing to be with the card itself, which is fine for a bronze.

It's not played because the archetype where it feets isn't used; but that has nothing to be with the card itself, which is fine for a bronze.
I never claimed the card to be bad, just that comparison is not exactly positive.
Safecracker itself is definitely not bad enough to be cut, however nothing remotely exiting either.

Venendal Elite.
And which sees next to no play.
I never claimed the card to be bad, just that comparison is not exactly positive.
Safecracker itself is definitely not bad enough to be cut, however nothing remotely exiting either.
I've actually been running into enslave 6 all day, and Elite was in in every single one of those decks. I think we're getting a bit spoiled when 8-9 for 5 is supposedly "nothing remotely exciting" and barely playable if it's not ALSO an egine. Like, what?

I've actually been running into enslave 6 all day, and Elite was in in every single one of those decks. I think we're getting a bit spoiled when 8-9 for 5 is supposedly "nothing remotely exciting" and barely playable if it's not ALSO an egine. Like, what?
What Rank are you play at (I am just asking because I have barely seen that deck at all and that would be interesting to take into consideration) ?
I did not say barely playable, I stated that it is average, also with 7 being the value for 5p cards that (practically) unconditionally give their value I would say that is not exactly being spoiled (which has been the case since Iron Judgement/Merchants of Ofir).

What Rank are you play at (I am just asking because I have barely seen that deck at all and that would be interesting to take into consideration) ?
I did not say barely playable, I stated that it is average, also with 7 being the value for 5p cards that (practically) unconditionally give their value I would say that is not exactly being spoiled (which has been the case since Iron Judgement/Merchants of Ofir).
I play at rank 1 currently, and that's where I was seeing them all. You did not say barely playable, but you did say it sees "next to no play" in the context of the comparison being "not exactly positive." Which kind of sounds like "barely playable." And the spoiled bit was regarding us being dismissive towards 5p cards that give us easy 8-9 pointslam value, just because... what? There are plenty of cards that give 7 for 5 for (practically) free?
If it's not abundantly clear by now, I disagree. I think the "nerfed" safecracker, Elite, and vrihedd vanguards are all perfectly fine cards and VERY valuable in their respective decks. Giving them engine capabilities is breaking them, not making them "exciting."

I play at rank 1 currently, and that's where I was seeing them all. You did not say barely playable, but you did say it sees "next to no play" in the context of the comparison being "not exactly positive." Which kind of sounds like "barely playable." [...]
In that case it appears that I was being unclear, my point was that I saw next to no Tactic centric decks and as such the comparison could not be positive, given that there is no reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from a lack of data.

[...] And the spoiled bit was regarding us being dismissive towards 5p cards that give us easy 8-9 pointslam value, just because... what? There are plenty of cards that give 7 for 5 for (practically) free? [...]
My point is that there is an actual condition to meet and that they become increasingly awkward as the game progresses, during later rounds it becomes increasingly difficult to get the same value that other units are always giving, so drawing them later on is quite bad, while the advantage from drawing them early is a few points better. With Tactics one would usually also want to play the engines that actually benefit from Tactics or one has to wait longer and longer before being able to contest the units of one's opponent.
Also I did not say that Venendal Elite and Safe Crackers should not see play, I just stated that they are usually the cards that are nice to have, when building the deck, rather than being the reason to play the cards they support (which is fine for a 5p card).

[...]
If it's not abundantly clear by now, I disagree. I think the "nerfed" safecracker, Elite, and vrihedd vanguards are all perfectly fine cards and VERY valuable in their respective decks. Giving them engine capabilities is breaking them, not making them "exciting."
I never stated that Safe Crackers were exciting before, I just stated that they are not exciting in their current form (to clarify just being a large body on deploy is not exactly exciting).
Maybe your definition differs from mine regarding that term (in general exciting =/= good), if you take it that I refer to that as the bottom of the barrel, then that is obviously not the case. Just playing a large body of poison bait, while delaying engines can overall be worth it, however it is definitely not what carries the deck.
They had to take a nerf and the nerf itself was reasonable, following that the card goes from being obviously too good to being just good.
I disagree on the "VERY valuable", you are massively overselling them.
7 for 5s are cards that are usually not worth considering, if they have even remotely difficult conditions.
8 for 5s are good, if they are very consistent and do not have heavy conditions.
9 for 5s are quite good, depending on the conditions.

Last edited:

I never stated that Safe Crackers were exciting before, I just stated that they are not exciting in their current form (to clarify just being a large body on deploy is not exactly exciting).
Maybe your definition differs from mine regarding that term (in general exciting =/= good), if you take it that I refer to that as the bottom of the barrel, then that is obviously not the case. Just playing a large body of poison bait, while delaying engines can overall be worth it, however it is definitely not what carries the deck.
They had to take a nerf and the nerf itself was reasonable, following that the card goes from being obviously too good to being just good.
I disagree on the "VERY valuable", you are massively overselling them.
7 for 5s are cards that are usually not worth considering, if they have even remotely difficult conditions.
8 for 5s are good, if they are very consistent and do not have heavy conditions.
9 for 5s are quite good, depending on the conditions.
Yes, the definition is probably not the same, as I interpreted your calling them "not exciting" to mean something that's no longer worth including in the deck, post-nerf. I still kind of struggle to visualize a bronze card that would meet your definition of "exciting but not necessarily good." And as for overselling them, I don't think I'm doing that. 8 and 9 point slam points to me are towards the higher edge of the early round (read zero-turn setup) 5p card values, so yes, I think "in their respective decks" these cards are very good, and YOU are the one who's overselling the impact of that engine getting on board 1 or 2 turns too late.

Yes, the definition is probably not the same, as I interpreted your calling them "not exciting" to mean something that's no longer worth including in the deck, post-nerf. [...]
No, I also disagree with the assessment that Lined Pockets would immediately fall down to Tier 3 or below because of this nerf.

[...] I still kind of struggle to visualize a bronze card that would meet your definition of "exciting but not necessarily good." [...]
I would rather put it as "Not every good card is exciting, just because it is good".

[...] And as for overselling them, I don't think I'm doing that. 8 and 9 point slam points to me are towards the higher edge of the early round (read zero-turn setup) 5p card values, so yes, I think "in their respective decks" these cards are very good, and YOU are the one who's overselling the impact of that engine getting on board 1 or 2 turns too late.
You are overselling them with "VERY valuable". "VERY valuable" are the linchpins on the deck.
What I was refering to is the fact that Venedal Elite/Safe Crackers/Vrihedd Vanguard also come with considerable downsides.
Maybe the way I did put it made it appear more negative, than intended.
Nevertheless my point was/is that they also have considerable drawbacks, if you draw them late, not to mention that they are unflexible regarding the question when you can play them.
Of course they are an upside IF you are already running the cards they support, however you would never include the cards they support if they would not already be worth it with the rest of the deck, so the consideration is "I am already running a lot of Tactics/Crimes/Elves, so I should also run these cards as an additional upside"

Across the board, we need stronger bronzes, weaker golds, and less general purpose tutoring both to increase deck variety and to increase the proportion of time that playing well actually influences the outcome more than failure to draw as many gold cards.

This. This my friends, is...the dream. The bits in bold above should be the guiding pillars behind every single new design or balance decision.

My own two pence worth :- making decks cost provisions was a great idea compared to having Silver cards, but man, maybe bring Silver cards back and limit them to two per deck?

They could be really potent conditional tech cards. Untutorable, but designed to counter certain playstyles if played at the right time. I'm not a developer so don't ask me for specifics, but the idea is just so tempting.

Having played some games with lp this season. The safe crackers are a little less fun without intimidate tag. So i firmly believe this suggestion is better for the card. Still a strong deck. Definitely not as strong as it used to be particularly in round 1 which i am fine with.

Top Bottom