Cyberpunk restarting PC

+
issues like this can be a pain in the ass to troubleshoot. i even read in a very renown computer magazine they could not fix a simmilar issue.

HOWEVER: its NOT the game. an application just can not hard reset windows 10. neither can an application trigger a bsod on a stable system. if you get these issues, there is something wrong with the system - either hardware or low level drivers (though these drivers usually are certified and microsoft claims these can not crash a system).

only way to troubleshoot this was to swap out one component after another and see if the problem persists. but of course, most of us do not have multiple motherboards, gpu, psu and memory sticks laying around just for the case something needs testing.

its also worth a shot to see if there are driver updates for your chipset.

if its the hardware, at least there are more and less likely reasons. indeed the psu and heat levels is what i would test first, but its also possible that thermal expansion triggers loss of conductivity or a short circuit somewhere.

i whish you good luck finding your issue. i doubt its one that can be fixed remotely.
I had my computer bsod installing mastercam. Turns out it's an issue with their HASP driver (something the program uses as copy protection) and I'm guessing it's a low level driver. Never had my computer restart or bsod otherwise.

Hi, This may be a strange solution, but awhile back I had a system upg that had a 1200w psu. Picked it up from the shop, went back home turned it on and the PC boots and restarts. Goes in a loop. Took it back to the store, boots fine. Tried a few times. Was suggested to buy a UPS. Could be a power issue at home. So got one went home, plugged everything in and the pc boots. So... The UPS helped provided a stable power to run the PC. I ended up dropping down to a 1000w as the 1200w might be too much for my house to handle. lol eh.

So, I would suggest to bring your PC to a good comp store, get them to fire up CP and let it run. Usually those places will have 3 phase power. So if your PC does not have an issue, then the answer is the power at your place is the problem. If it crashes, then there is an issue with the system and while its there let them fix it.

Upgraded to a 3060 ti from a rx 480 about a week ago. Bought CP probably 2 weeks ago and got almost 40 hours played now. As of a couple hours ago I've had about 3 or 4 sudden reboots all the sudden. Running great (some fps drops of course) and then black screen and reboot, no messages no anything. I have had this exact thing happen on Shadow of the Tomb Raider (once, have mods installed), and Death Stranding (once with zero mods installed). Now CP (three times with mods installed). Only thing that has changed recently is a windows update, a steam update, and that all 3 games were new(er) TO ME. I've not had a single issue until the last day or 2. No overheating, checked the RAM, checked drivers, switched the game to my other hard drive, I have NO CLUE. Honestly just scared it IS something with my pc and not the game(s) or some random update or windows problem. I even went into the settings and turned off auto restart and had thought that had fixed it, only this time I had to manually push the power button as my screen turned black the same way but my fans, keyboard, and mouse were still lit up and spinning but couldn't do ANYTHING.

3060 ti 8 GB
16 GB RAM
i7 4790
600 Watt Gold PSU
Windows 10
250 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD

Same issue here:

Gameplay, (via STEAM) version patch 1.22, nvdia driver 466.27 with RTX 3070, I7 9700F, Gygabyte Z390 UD (with rebar active), PSU Corsair 750W TX, SSD Crucial P1 Gen3 1tb, game start to rebooting my rig, after one in half hour, game reboot. Tested other games after like Doom Eternal and Metro Exodus Enhanced edition, with zero issues. Temperatures are ok, both GPU and CPU.

Search windows log, and found error Kernell Power 41, when system power off after a crash or power failure.

Never had the issue since the launch of the game, starting after the last patch. Playing since launch, have a 300+ hours. Tuned off automatic restart in control panel, the issue persists.

Took some system maintenance actions, made a win10 sfc scan (cmd with admin settings) and found some errors, made a chkdsk /f /r , double check it, change power settings in windows do high performance, need to test after this changes.

I will post later the results, but i think its a windows + drivers + game issue, the "perfect storm "to define a problem.

Same issue here:

Gameplay, (via STEAM) version patch 1.22, nvdia driver 466.27 with RTX 3070, I7 9700F, Gygabyte Z390 UD (with rebar active), PSU Corsair 750W TX, SSD Crucial P1 Gen3 1tb, game start to rebooting my rig, after one in half hour, game reboot. Tested other games after like Doom Eternal and Metro Exodus Enhanced edition, with zero issues. Temperatures are ok, both GPU and CPU.

Search windows log, and found error Kernell Power 41, when system power off after a crash or power failure.

Never had the issue since the launch of the game, starting after the last patch. Playing since launch, have a 300+ hours. Tuned off automatic restart in control panel, the issue persists.

Took some system maintenance actions, made a win10 sfc scan (cmd with admin settings) and found some errors, made a chkdsk /f /r , double check it, change power settings in windows do high performance, need to test after this changes.

I will post later the results, but i think its a windows + drivers + game issue, the "perfect storm "to define a problem.
It could be a real hardware issue like the power supply but i'm afraid it could also be more specific than that. The ps, mb, rams, gpu, drives... who knows. BUT the good news is that it could also be related to a graphics driver or your antivirus.

Done playing Metro Exodus Enhanced edition to test, RTX active Ultra settings, DLSS balanced, about 2 hours, no problems, no rebooting

Only CP causes the problem. Using telemetry to monitor power, voltages and , all squared away. Profile XMP active too, no other issue.

I have experienced problems with old GPUs ( Geforce 770 GTX ) with bad GDRAM, example, Skyrim working perfect in the GPU, but, Metro 2033, crashed in instants So I tested in Metro Exodus Enhanced in the same "configs" like Cyberpunk, using RTX and DLSS, different games, using the same tecnology. Faulty DRAM, CPU undervolt, Temperature problems causes BSOD, but fault PSU don't crash in one specific game, crashes in all, . Hardware problems is hard to detect, but, since 1997 i using PC as a gaming platform and see a lot of problems, the worst problem i solved is a faulty hard drive, i was using to store data, he is causing the system to reboot and caused bios to not working properly, need to reflash the MB bios to solve. Using Crucial Store executive now, and the drives are ok, working normal.

Some recent driver change, the new patch or win update can cause it, but, the pattern with other users are the same, diferent machines, vendors, version of game patches.... I think its software related. Have problems too with Crysis Remaster with the same actual rig, a game update solve the problem...

Decided to waiting another update or hotfix to do a test in CP 2077 again.

DC9V

Forum veteran

Done playing Metro Exodus Enhanced edition to test, RTX active Ultra settings, DLSS balanced, about 2 hours, no problems, no rebooting

Only CP causes the problem. Using telemetry to monitor power, voltages and , all squared away. Profile XMP active too, no other issue.

I have experienced problems with old GPUs ( Geforce 770 GTX ) with bad GDRAM, example, Skyrim working perfect in the GPU, but, Metro 2033, crashed in instants So I tested in Metro Exodus Enhanced in the same "configs" like Cyberpunk, using RTX and DLSS, different games, using the same tecnology. Faulty DRAM, CPU undervolt, Temperature problems causes BSOD, but fault PSU don't crash in one specific game, crashes in all, . Hardware problems is hard to detect, but, since 1997 i using PC as a gaming platform and see a lot of problems, the worst problem i solved is a faulty hard drive, i was using to store data, he is causing the system to reboot and caused bios to not working properly, need to reflash the MB bios to solve. Using Crucial Store executive now, and the drives are ok, working normal.

Some recent driver change, the new patch or win update can cause it, but, the pattern with other users are the same, diferent machines, vendors, version of game patches.... I think its software related. Have problems too with Crysis Remaster with the same actual rig, a game update solve the problem...

Decided to waiting another update or hotfix to do a test in CP 2077 again.
Is not the game, that's for sure. I had his problem happen to me before with Valorant. Disabling the anti-virus each time i wanted to play solved it one time. After a year the problem appeared again and changing the drivers solved it. All of this on an old and a brand new pc between the two times i suffered from hard resets related to the kernel error.

i5-4690k / 16GB RAM 1866 / 5700 XT / CX 750w

Not sure if this was posted before as I just saw few people on Reddit having the same problem and couldn't find anything here. Sorry if it's duplicated.

As the title says, Cyberpunk 2077 is making my PC restart every time I try to play it. I'll list what I've checked so far:

- Temps OK
- Usage OK (no struggling while running it at all, just few drops in FPS when looking at some specific lights)
- Stress tested everything, not a single restart.
- All programs closed EXCEPT some security software I need to be running all time (but doesn't seem to flag anything)
- Some suggested limiting CPU usage in the Power Plan Settings, didn't work.
- Some suggested installing on the SSD. Already was.
- Event-Viewer... Getting Kernel-Power ID 41 and it seems that everybody relates that to PSU problems. Another player with the same issue tested 3 different PSUs, 2 of them brand new. Same problem.
- Reinstalling, verifying files...

Don't know what else to do at this point. No other game does this and I've seen worse temps/usage while gaming. Anyone else has any suggestion?

(also just found out that "RTX" config is set to "true" in "bumperSettings.json" under "Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config" even though I don't have RTX. Does that changes anything?)
Post automatically merged:

Just tested some configuration on "memory_pool_budgets.csv" as it was shown on Reddit that it could improve the performance and it actually does... For the less than 5 minutes I get to play until the PC restarts. Nothing changed until now.

Anyone else? Please?
Not specifically for this post, but one other thing that I've seen mentioned on the steam forums for computer blackouts is to update the BIOS. PCs rebooting seems to be linked most frequently with power supply issues, driver issues (usually the graphics driver), memory issues. But a BIOS update has helped for some users.

Some progress I guess...stop rebooting PC after using a windows 10 CMD sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f /r, appears to be a windows 10 error, testing today, and game crashes to desktop , make a file check and one file fails, 9.31 Gb downloaded.

NOTE: Problem still persist, rebooting.

Solved the problem, only go into BIOS and set the CPU cooler to maximum, ( using watercooler ) and the game stops rebooting.

Last edited:
i5-4690k / 16GB RAM 1866 / 5700 XT / CX 750w

Not sure if this was posted before as I just saw few people on Reddit having the same problem and couldn't find anything here. Sorry if it's duplicated.

As the title says, Cyberpunk 2077 is making my PC restart every time I try to play it. I'll list what I've checked so far:

- Temps OK
- Usage OK (no struggling while running it at all, just few drops in FPS when looking at some specific lights)
- Stress tested everything, not a single restart.
- All programs closed EXCEPT some security software I need to be running all time (but doesn't seem to flag anything)
- Some suggested limiting CPU usage in the Power Plan Settings, didn't work.
- Some suggested installing on the SSD. Already was.
- Event-Viewer... Getting Kernel-Power ID 41 and it seems that everybody relates that to PSU problems. Another player with the same issue tested 3 different PSUs, 2 of them brand new. Same problem.
- Reinstalling, verifying files...

Don't know what else to do at this point. No other game does this and I've seen worse temps/usage while gaming. Anyone else has any suggestion?

(also just found out that "RTX" config is set to "true" in "bumperSettings.json" under "Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config" even though I don't have RTX. Does that changes anything?)
Post automatically merged:

Just tested some configuration on "memory_pool_budgets.csv" as it was shown on Reddit that it could improve the performance and it actually does... For the less than 5 minutes I get to play until the PC restarts. Nothing changed until now.

Anyone else? Please?
Same issue here with a new rig - ALL NEW PARTS - and happens only with cyberpunk 2077 ,

Full 3D Mark Benchmarks ( I bought Full Version ) had no issues at all

I have a Ryzen 7 - 5800X
Ram : Kingston Hyper X 32Gbytes ( 4 modules )
Asus TUF Gaming X570 WiFi motherboard with latest Bios
2 NVMe's and 2 SSD's
Be Quiet Dark Base Pro Rev 2 with 7 - 140MM case fans of which corsair ( 4 ) and bequiet (3 ) fans - compensanting for negative pressure ) temperatures max @99% GPU Utilization was of 80 degrees on GPU , CPU not more the 52 degrees at high utilization
Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 - 250W TDP CPU cooler
Asus TUF Gaming RX 6900 XT OC
Chieftec 1KW Modular Power Supply ( I tried also another 1KW power supply ( power color modular ) made no difference )

regarding software I uninstalled Corsair Icue made no difference , removed/disabled AMD overlay made no difference

Its a random occurrence only on this game and is very annoying

Same issue here with a new rig - ALL NEW PARTS - and happens only with cyberpunk 2077 ,

Full 3D Mark Benchmarks ( I bought Full Version ) had no issues at all

I have a Ryzen 7 - 5800X
Ram : Kingston Hyper X 32Gbytes ( 4 modules )
Asus TUF Gaming X570 WiFi motherboard with latest Bios
2 NVMe's and 2 SSD's
Be Quiet Dark Base Pro Rev 2 with 7 - 140MM case fans of which corsair ( 4 ) and bequiet (3 ) fans - compensanting for negative pressure ) temperatures max @99% GPU Utilization was of 80 degrees on GPU , CPU not more the 52 degrees at high utilization
Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 - 250W TDP CPU cooler
Asus TUF Gaming RX 6900 XT OC
Chieftec 1KW Modular Power Supply ( I tried also another 1KW power supply ( power color modular ) made no difference )

regarding software I uninstalled Corsair Icue made no difference , removed/disabled AMD overlay made no difference

Its a random occurrence only on this game and is very annoying
There must be something wrong with your settings. 52°C is too little for the 5800X. The Dark Rock Pro 4 is a great cooler, but temps should be at least 60°C on CCD1 (Tdie) when running Cyberpunk 2077.
By the way, you don't need to use low performance power plans if you want to tame CPU temps. Just use the in-game FPS cap and set it to 240, it reduces high temps during loading screens.

Last edited:
Man it really scares me what some people do have for trouble with this game. I´ll enlight a virtual candle on my desktop for ya.

Man it really scares me what some people do have for trouble with this game. I´ll enlight a virtual candle on my desktop for ya.
Noooo! No more candles please.
More than 7.5 million copies of CP were sold on PC (and Stadia) in 2020, and it's normal that people have problems with their gear.

Top Bottom