Whats with this Obessions Over the Police?

+

How Often Are You In Trouble with the N.C. Police?

• Never. I'm a model citizen whenever the cops are around.

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • Rarely. I stood too close to them one time.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Sometimes. Bystanders keep getting caught in the crossfire.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Often. Anyone in my way is fair game.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have cyberpsychosis.

Votes: 9 7.2%

• Total voters

Guest 3847602

But you don't need a whole police system to do this. Just go straight to a "game over" screen if the player decides to do too much "crime."
Like in the old Assassin's Creed games? Can't imagine how would that silence the critics and prevent "things you can do in GTA but not in CP2077" type of videos from popping up. Main issue is that some people REALLY want cop chases and Cyberpunk doesn't offer them.
If the police system doesn't actually stop the player in their tracks, it isn't a deterrent. And if it does, then it is just an over-complicated game-over sequence.
Sometimes it stops them, sometimes it doesn't. Minimalistic approach to some areas and removal of non-essential features is partially what caused the backlash against Cyberpunk.
I think we can all agree that police system is neither immersive nor fun. One thing that it accomplish is to communicate to the players that they shouldn't be killing innocent people on the street. That's kinda the primary purpose of police system in most games.
Can it be improved? I don't know, but I suspect what we have now is because of engine limitation.
Would the game even benefit from sophisticated police AI system? Barely. Quests in this game are not about V fighting and running from NCPD. You can very rarely use your cars and bikes for something other than traveling from one quest location to another. You're doing almost all of the quests on foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
But you don't need a whole police system to do this. Just go straight to a "game over" screen if the player decides to do too much "crime."

If the police system doesn't actually stop the player in their tracks, it isn't a deterrent. And if it does, then it is just an over-complicated game-over sequence.

Don't be disingenuous.

If the player isn't supposed to kill civilians, then it simply shouldn't be possible to kill civilians. Pretty simple.

no, The point is to make it a deterrent, not a binary decision. You can in fact accidently or purposefully kill civilians, and the world discourages you, its not automatically the end of the game, but its not rewarded either. It makes things more difficult and incentivizes playing while being conscious of the outside world.

It doesn't mean a developer is willing to devote a whole complex subgame to it. Note that a complex interaction with the police is specific fantasy. Irl, once the police have their eyes on you, you have two options, run, or get caught. In 2077, its run or die.

The game world gives you the freedom to climb towers instead of plexiglass everywhere, but it doesn't mean they want to create tower climbing mini game. I don't think the game would be better by removing all choices, options and flavor.

A big theme of this game, is to try not to directly control the player experience much. They allow you to do many things, some with incentive, neutral or disincentive. The player has to find/choose

this doesn't seem like a style you enjoy, you seem to prefer more curated experiences. However it doesn't mean its wrong, or doesn't give a benefit to other types of players.

1. When you pick up something valuable, they come to ask you what is it.
2. You steal something outside a house and they get intrigued.
3. They see you stealing something and send killers on your tracks.
4. When you sell Dwemers objects, you may have an interaction with a scientist.
5. If you attack someone, someone of the same family can come asking some money to forget the crime.
6. Il you attack someone, an NPC may contact you to ask you to beat the crap of somebody.
7. Even after the jailtime, your NPC victim may scorn you.
8. A kid can ask you to launch on him an invisibility spell if you use magic openly in town.
9. If you have an glowing armor or dangerous magic cast, people avoid you.
10. If you use magic in a deserted corner of a town, a guard may come to ask you to stop that.
11. If you use dragonic magic in the middle of a town, somebody may give you the location of a donjon linked to that.
12. You may have a letter from an NPC.
13. Running naked? People ask you to put something on.
14. If you draw your weapon, NPC ask you to put that down.
15. A magician may ask you in duel randomly.
16. Children ask you to play with them.
17. A magician apprentice may come to ask for help with a certain magic.
18. A NPC you helped previously may give you a gift.
19. Reaction when a dragon is spotted : run away!
20. Merchants and friends may come in your new house to greet you.
21. NPC may dislike your magician look.
22. NPC find that you are ill-looking when you contract a disease.
23. Having a highly glowing magic on you impress people around you.
24. Same as above but with a offensive spell and people run away.
25.When you are crouched, NPC tend to find you ridiculous.
26. if you kill chicken, guards will try to kill you.

Maybe i'm weird, but I've never had the police chase or attack me in this game except for one mission that kinda forced me to.

How many of you out there are playing your V like a mad lunatic attacking everything in site to where the police are coming after you all the time? I mostly play as a law abiding citizen unless a mission requires me to do otherwise, but I didn't even know Police spawns were a problem until it was mentioned in the patch notes because I'm never in trouble with them. I'm kinda surprised their behavior and AI is seen as such a huge issue for so many, it make sense and police chases are fun but its not how i've ever played the game.
I miss a 6th option: "They sometimes get aggro'ed when I decide to blast gangers in their face"
That is what happens most often to be honest. Seconded by innocent bystanders sometimes getting caught in the crossfire.

Maybe i'm weird, but I've never had the police chase or attack me in this game except for one mission that kinda forced me to.

How many of you out there are playing your V like a mad lunatic attacking everything in site to where the police are coming after you all the time? I mostly play as a law abiding citizen unless a mission requires me to do otherwise, but I didn't even know Police spawns were a problem until it was mentioned in the patch notes because I'm never in trouble with them. I'm kinda surprised their behavior and AI is seen as such a huge issue for so many, it make sense and police chases are fun but its not how i've ever played the game.
Their problem is that they attack when you gun down gangoons they're in a fight with. It breaks logic.

And if you're a 'bad character', they're AI isn't that good (disclaimer: I only get chased when I gun down gangoons in that flashing blue-star icon on the map, known as "Criminal Activity In Progress, We Need Help".

no, The point is to make it a deterrent
Why? In what way does this improve gameplay?

A big theme of this game, is to try not to directly control the player experience much.
This statement is too vague to mean anything. What constitutes player experience, and what constitutes control?
Post automatically merged:

Like in the old Assassin's Creed games? Can't imagine how would that silence the critics and prevent "things you can do in GTA but not in CP2077" type of videos from popping up. Main issue is that some people REALLY want cop chases and Cyberpunk doesn't offer them.
Is the primary point of gameplay improvements to silence critics? Yikes.

Sometimes it stops them, sometimes it doesn't. Minimalistic approach to some areas and removal of non-essential features is partially what caused the backlash against Cyberpunk.
Actually, what caused the backlash was over-indulgence, not minimalism. Resources were pumped into some aspects of the game at the expense of others.

I think we can all agree that police system is neither immersive nor fun. One thing that it accomplish is to communicate to the players that they shouldn't be killing innocent people on the street. That's kinda the primary purpose of police system in most games.
But if that is the purpose, it could be achieved much more simply by making it impossible.

Can it be improved? I don't know, but I suspect what we have now is because of engine limitation.
Would the game even benefit from sophisticated police AI system? Barely.
If we can conclude so easily that the game wouldn't benefit from a sophisticated AI system, then it logically follows that it doesn't benefit from an unsophisticated one, and probably shouldn't have one to begin with.

Quests in this game are not about V fighting and running from NCPD.
Quests in the game also aren't about being a scrap collector, yet that is a major branch of gameplay for those going down the crafting skill tree. And in fact, there is at least one quest that involves exactly fighting and/or running from the NCPD. I'm sure it just slipped your mind.

You can very rarely use your cars and bikes for something other than traveling from one quest location to another. You're doing almost all of the quests on foot.
Okay, now we're just going off into complete non sequitur territory.

Last edited:
Oh yes, please CD Projekt, remove police from the gameplay entirely and keep it only for scripted events! I want to see the general public reaction to that!
I will give you analogy. Let's say you went to restaurant and ordered dish (steak or something), also let's say you understand how the food should look like and how it should taste. For example, you ordered medium steak but got very rare stake basically not cooked, on top of steak you got ketchup, mayonese, salt, sugar (yes sugar), chocolate and with cherries on top. Would you like that? or even eat that?

With dishes there should be a balance you don't follow how it should be done in most cases you will screw up, if you put too many ingredients it will also lead to shitty result. And same applies to everything, engineering, software etc.

Now let's say you play this game for first time, if there was no police you or it was something like game over, it would be better than having completely broken system. Same with inventory, i guess nobody would argue that inventory system is bloated at best, do you think it would be better if system was like in doom or pubg? i think yes, if they removed weapon scaling and made all weapon leveled from start it would be way better. Also it would solve weapon and npc inbalance - actually there are mods that make combat at least somewhat challenging - you have to think at least with every encounter. Without that mod i am basically immortal, 10k armor, 95 crit chance, 375 crit damage.

Now lot of perks are very boring, i would gladly trade perk system we have for just cyberware like deus ex.

Moral of the story is, sometimes more is not equal to better. This game tries too much while failing everywhere. In software that anti pattern called witches brew - too much of everything and done wrong

For me it's driving a car. Missing turns, sliding out of control or just flying into pedestrians because car bumped weirdly on something. Worst is when some cops spawn in my still out of control sliding-flying trajectory and i get all the extra stars.
Next up is accidental civilian damage or weird police response during assaults in progress.
Third most common problem happens when engaging enemies from distance with stealthy sniper approach.

In addition all of the impressive mission visuals make one expect more eye-candy and varied response even if its basic auto-kill. Maybe instead of always turreting the player have AV bomb them on roofs or net-watch run a suicide or system reset if on foot or have trauma-team take you out if you attack some high-profile corpos etc ;).

Without that mod i am basically immortal, 10k armor, 95 crit chance, 375 crit damage.
I wonder how you get to have 10K of armor... and how you get to be practically immortal...
For me, in very hard, 3-4K armor (max possible 6-7K with full epic armadillo lvl 50 (+240 armor each) on full mod slots set), with 4-5 hits (often less), i'm dead :)

I wonder how you get to have 10K of armor... and how you get to be practically immortal...
For me, in very hard, 3-4K armor (max possible 6-7K with full epic armadillo lvl 50 (+240 armor each) on full mod slots set), with 4-5 hits (often less), i'm dead :)
Try healing.

It only works on cameras, the mask the scavs use do the same thing. It's a feature of kiroshi optics. The wealthy and famous can't really go anywhere without being on surveillance in Cyberpunk, it's basically an anti paparazzi tech used by V to hide their face.

Now that you mention it, it seems hilarious when you think about it when V is talking to the reporter at the Kerry/Us Cracks-promo at Dark Matter.

20210516164216_1.jpg

like this. also i am using right build and cyberware that heals me on kill.

Now I'm curious about your build. The full Legendary sets with max slots all having purple Epic Armadillo's never gave me that much armor.
Yep me too and 9K dps with Quazar (even lvl 50 full modded and upgraded...)
I want to know :D
(No, i want to see the stats without killing bonus. thanks).

And 93M eddies, that totally fairplay :)

6 pieces of armor at 200 armor (max armor at level 50) = 1200
3 or 4 mods slots each : (3x4) + (2x4) => 20 slots. 20 x 240 (max armadillo) = 4800
Cyberware max armor : 200
6200 armor, we can add 20% bonus with skills point (about 7.5K)

But we are off topic :)

Last edited:
Yep me too and 9K dps with Quazar (even lvl 50 full modded and upgraded...)
I want to know :D
(No, i want to see the stats without killing bonus. thanks).

And 93M eddies, that totally fairplay :)
2.8k dps, 6.5k armour, 90 crit chance, 345 crit damage. Well i can't stand bad gameplay design and money grind in single player game, so corpo v got some workaround you know :D

Top Bottom