Witcher 3 — Help with SWF files (text alignment)

+
I’m translating The Witcher 3 into Serbian and simultaneously trying to make the game’s subtitles more readable.

Currently, I’d like to adjust the direction from which new lines appear in subtitle text. In TW3, when outside of dialogues, if there are 2+ lines in a subtitle, line 1 is positioned above line 2 and so on:

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀YENNEFER: I know. You might bring me
GERALT: You're running out of juice.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀some more once you're done training.

However, when inside a dialogue, it does the opposite and places line 2 below line 1:

GERALT: See, I thought Ciri could stand⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀YENNEFER: It's uninstructive. Not to mention unreasonable.
to wait a little longer.

For a subtitle, the latter example is less standard in the subtitling industry and can more easily conflict with UI elements (say the Skip button). The following videos demonstrate this:

I’ve been trying to adjust this inside the game’s SWF files without luck. The programs I use are WolvenKit for extracting the game files and JPEXS Free Flash Decompiler for editing them. The file containing subs outside dialogues is gameplay\gui_new\swf\witcher3\hud_subtitles.redswf, wheras the file for in-dialogue subs is gameplay\gui_new\swf\hud\hud_dialog.redswf. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Top Bottom