Needs an Ultra HD High-Res texture pack.

+
Looking at the game I think the PC version uses the same textures as the Xbox One or PS4. They look of low quality even blurry. I tried no DLSS and then the on settings. Looks almost the same on all the settings except for performance+. Playing on a 4k 43" TV but at 1440p on a nvidia 2080. Wish I could grab another gpu but there is like none in sight. Even with a new gpu I don't think it would do anything for textures.

Looking at the game I think the PC version uses the same textures as the Xbox One or PS4. They look of low quality even blurry. I tried no DLSS and then the on settings. Looks almost the same on all the settings except for performance+. Playing on a 4k 43" TV but at 1440p on a nvidia 2080. Wish I could grab another gpu but there is like none in sight. Even with a new gpu I don't think it would do anything for textures.
This is by no stretch of the imagination correct. This game looks a million times better on PC than it does on Console.

When it uses up every last megabyte of video memory on a respectable system, on all low settings, and stutters and chokes when moving through downtown in a vehicle as it struggles to constantly load and unload scenery and NPC's, even on an M2 SSD?

No, the last thing it needs is fatter textures.

For the most part it doesn't. There are a few things like hair cards where I think there is some benefit to higher resolution textures, particularly the ID greyscale map. The reason being that you get these splotches where lots of hair strands overlap and cross each other but the individual strands don't resolve properly because the resolution isn't there. These ordinarily aren't very noticeable until you start editing hair profiles and pick really wild colour combinations like this:

Cyberpunk2077 2021-05-16 19-53-41.jpg

For the most part the game doesn't use very large textures and doesn't need to because textures in Cyberpunk 2077 are just part of a material node network. A lot of them are not traditional colour diffuse maps either but stencil masks for shaders and things like that. You can look at them in photoshop and its not immediately clear what they are, what they do and how they fit into the node network. As of writing we still can't uncook masksets so these textures are a mystery.

A material is like a network of procedural generators, math functions, shaders and greyscale or colour images, whose channel greyscale values can be used by other math functions or to control other shaders etc. The network outputs a surface texture but that surface is very modular and programmable. Because materials have shaders built into them, they can interact with light in very complex ways. Surfaces in videogames look like this now: alex-akins-grassgenerationgraph-substancedesigner.jpg (1846×1060) (artstation.com)

There are many textures in the game that are very tiny, like 8x8 pixels, 4x32 pixel gradient maps, 256x256 roughness/metalness maps etc. In the case of base body/head diffuse textures - those are actually colour but tinted with albedo. Most other textures are tileable, scalable and designed to be layered with other maps/masks to create things like the skin surface. You can see this on the player's face. You can zoom right in and see every pore and wrinkle and the ridges catch light in different ways. The indentations on the surface come from a tiny, tileable normal map.

You can look at a jacket and see a smooth, leather surface transition into a shiny metal buckle into a felt lining with tiny bits of dandruff on it. The dandruff is a microblend - another tiny, tileable texture designed to work in a network of shaders, masks, math functions and other textures. You can control most of the material properties right down to the shader level in .mt, .mi and .mlsetup files where you can make any surface have glass like reflection properties or make it rough/diffuse. You can colourise it anyway you want with gradients and overlay multiple "microblends" for miniscule details like specks of dust. Then using a series of black and white masks, you can stencil out the bits you want to be shiny, rough, smooth, glowy, transparent whatever. Its very flexible.

Because the game does not use not monolithic RGBA colour diffuse maps with all the surface detail baked into a 2D image, you can zoom in 1,000% and they don't get pixelated or blurry. Unlike traditional textures they react to the direction, intensity and colour of light.

We don't have a material editor but we can control a lot of material properties via hex editing and its super fun. It is also extremely performant and this appeals to the part of my brain that appreciates very efficient things.

In the case of hair for example, there are no massive colour textures that take up a tonne of VRAM and impose punishing limitations on the game's streaming system. All hair strand variations are atlased into a handful of 512x512 greyscale images sorted by hair archetype (i.e. long, short, curly, braided). Each one has all strand/clump variations for that archetype on a single texture where the red channel is an ID greyscale, the green channel is a gradient map and the alpha channel is a transparency mask. I haven't worked out what the blue channel does. This file is 713kb for the short hair archetype and this includes all the CR2W container stuff. It is colourised by plugging rgb integer values into 2x arrays in a sub 1kb file called a hair profile or .hp. All hair colour variations for the player and all npcs are produced this way. The buzz cut (hair cap) texture is colourised using a 4x32 pixel gradient which weighs in at a whopping 2.1kb. Its brilliant.

Last edited:

Guest 4564903

My eyes must be bad but playing the game on a hi-end rig with everything maxed out and ray-tracing on quality it looks way better than on my friends PS4. I guess RTX 3080's are not as good as I figured they were.

My eyes must be bad but playing the game on a hi-end rig with everything maxed out and ray-tracing on quality it looks way better than on my friends PS4. I guess RTX 3080's are not as good as I figured they were.
The game looks good 4k, max out, ray tracing.
I can confirm that on lower end hardware pc at 1080p, SSR, medium settings Its bad. Blurred, grainy, shitty textures and details.
On consoles might be even more bad.
They keep downgrading the graphics.
From next gen graphics wonder will turn into ps2 graphics.

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and an AMD Vega 64 GPU. HDR Looks like real life on my 4k 65" LG OLED TV super smooth around 30fps !!

The game looks good 4k, max out, ray tracing.
I can confirm that on lower end hardware pc at 1080p, SSR, medium settings Its bad. Blurred, grainy, shitty textures and details.
Im playing on a GTX 970 and I found that turning SSR off gets rid of the graininess. I used to have it set to high.

This is by no stretch of the imagination correct. This game looks a million times better on PC than it does on Console.
Looks great on Series X but needs ray tracing and better texture streaming as they have obviously cut it back to help performance on older consoles.

It really should have been next gen only in hindsight releasing when it did.

Looks great on Series X but needs ray tracing and better texture streaming as they have obviously cut it back to help performance on older consoles.

It really should have been next gen only in hindsight releasing when it did.
On Series X, it's just a XB1 version ;)
(could be really better with Next-Gen patch. Maybe not at the level of a good PC, but still)

On Series X, it's just a XB1 version ;)
(could be really better with Next-Gen patch. Maybe not at the level of a good PC, but still)

Yep absolutely, however the texture streaming wasn't as pronounced when i first played it before Christmas on Series X.

(....) Its bad. Blurred, grainy, shitty textures and details.
can confirm both on ps4 - the blurred, grainy, shitty textures (which dont even load in time most of the cases) and also the downgrading part... lightning and details got way worse compared to launche after the last "big" patches in fav for "performance improvment"... lel... after the llast patch there are corners and areas in the world which are just plain black at night and u cant see nearly anything at all.... maybe a good argument to ask for a flashlight feature lel2....

Yep absolutely, however the texture streaming wasn't as pronounced when i first played it before Christmas on Series X.
It's for XB1 users, and sadly, we have no other choice but to undergo the modifications of the XB1 version :)
Anyway, i prefer play it on XB1 version than having to wait months for a next gen patch (without being able to play).

Top Bottom