Problematic movement over obstacles

+
hey there!

talking about cyberpunk 2077....there are allready lots of threads for AI, bad vehicle handling so i will not talk about this (but yes +1 to all those threads).

Why is this character constantly trying to "jump" on every object he comes near? i walk nearside a chair, my car, a fence, a bench and he always wants to jump on it. I have a firefight, walk back, there are some sacks of garbage lying around and he walks on it, camera hight changes. I feel like constantly having a camera change, when walking, running around or in a firefight, or simply just collecting loot. The camera simply can't stand still without some sort of "jumping"...sometimes he just trys to indicate a jump but doesn't jump, camera goes up and then quickly down again. Awful.

This is really annoying. In 3rd person view this wouldn't matter much i believe, but in 1st person this is simply awful.

Is there any mod to disable this weired behavior?

mbrto

Forum regular
hey there!

talking about cyberpunk 2077....there are allready lots of threads for AI, bad vehicle handling so i will not talk about this (but yes +1 to all those threads).

Why is this character constantly trying to "jump" on every object he comes near? i walk nearside a chair, my car, a fence, a bench and he always wants to jump on it. I have a firefight, walk back, there are some sacks of garbage lying around and he walks on it, camera hight changes. I feel like constantly having a camera change, when walking, running around or in a firefight, or simply just collecting loot. The camera simply can't stand still without some sort of "jumping"...sometimes he just trys to indicate a jump but doesn't jump, camera goes up and then quickly down again. Awful.

This is really annoying. In 3rd person view this wouldn't matter much i believe, but in 1st person this is simply awful.

Is there any mod to disable this weired behavior?
you mean the camera height changes when you step on objects?
kinda makey sense imho

you mean the camera height changes when you step on objects?
kinda makey sense imho

yes! sometimes it also seems just buggy, f.e. just walk around your car (or any other object) and you see how the camera jumps up quickly and back, like he wants to jump on his car but doesn't actually do it. Either way, it's not a smooth gameplay experience, the implementation is kinda strange.

Posts moved. What it seems to be is simple collision detection. I can sort of get what you mean, but I never really had any problems with it in CP2077.

Still, I think a better overall system for this type of thing would be to simply set up each, 3D object to be universally one of three things:
  1. Impassable. The player must go around it.
  2. Mantle object. The player can pull themselves over it.
  3. No collision. The player can just pass through the object like it isn't there.
Many times, objects are given some pretty crazy collision values and ranges in games. Especially things like small boxes, rocks, or bushes seem to bring the player to a complete halt, like they've hit a small wall, or act like stairs, like you're seemingly describing. I think a better way of handling it would be to simply put it there for decoration, or to have it affect only the player's movement speed. (That would be especially immersive for purposes of pushing through underbrush or through big piles of junk.)

Top Bottom