My biggest bother of this game [Spoilers]

+
well i rather take cdprs word than microsoft
You can :D
Like I said in my previous post, In Microsoft they can have their "weird" sorting system :(
And everyone also have his own vision of what a RPG must be. It's really not the case for FPS for example (A game is a FPS or not...)

Example : Terraria (classed in RPG on Xbox store)
Some (most) gamers could said : What the hell, Terraria is absolutely not RPG.
But if you consider the gameplay, it could be a RPG. You can choose to play as summoner, as ranger, with melee weapons or a mixture of all of that.

Last edited:
You can :D
Like I said in my previous post, In Microsoft they can have their "weird" sorting system :(
And everyone also have his own vision of what a RPG must be. It's really not the case for FPS for example (A game is a FPS or not...)

Example : Terraria (classed in RPG on Xbox store)
Some (most) gamers could said : What the hell, Terraria is absolutely not RPG.
But if you consider the gameplay, it could be a RPG. You can choose to play as summoner, as ranger, with melee weapons or a mixture of all of that.
Its not that difficult, back the days when role playing games and first person shooter where easy to recognize apart from each other, like Fallout 1+2 and counterstrike the definition of rpg was beside of a story and a world to explore that your own main charackter could gain experience levels find treasures and better equipment, become stronger. But then the genres fused together when rpg´s went into the first (or third) person, away from birdseye view. Still when you can gain experience levels, learn skills, craft items, collect items, trade inventory, you dont play a first person shooter. And adventures usually are the opposite, you are guided through a story, combat or inventory managment are almost not existent beside of questitems, like in Life is strange.

And i think one can easily see the difference between Cyberpunk 2077 and Diablo or Sacred wich are both Action-rpg´s like running across a map fight huge waves of repeatly respawning enemies and collect stuff till your inventury bursts apart.

Last edited:
But then the genres fused together when rpg´s went into the first (or third) person, away from birdseye view. Still when you can gain experience levels, learn skills, craft items, collect items, trade inventory, you dont play a first person shooter.
It's totally true, but now, it's could be less easy :)
Before, I had Oblivion for RPG and Far Cry Blood Dragon for FPS.

But now, take BD3 for example. You gain experience levels, you learn skills, you loot items, you can sell/buy stuff... it's a FPS, an Action-Aventure, an Action-RPG ?
Or a mix of that for attract more players than a "basic" FPS ? (<- the good answer for me) :)

Last edited:
Its not that difficult, back the days when role playing games and first person shooter where easy to recognize apart from each other, like Fallout 1+2 and counterstrike the definition of rpg was beside of a story and a world to explore that your own main charackter could gain experience levels find treasures and better equipment, become stronger. But then the genres fused together when rpg´s went into the first (or third) person, away from birdseye view. Still when you can gain experience levels, learn skills, craft items, collect items, trade inventory, you dont play a first person shooter. And adventures usually are the opposite, you are guided through a story, combat or inventory managment are almost not existent beside of questitems, like in Life is strange.

And i think one can easily see the difference between Cyberpunk 2077 and Diablo or Sacred wich are both Action-rpg´s like running across a map fight huge waves of repeatly respawning enemies and collect stuff till your inventury bursts apart.
I would even go further in time than fallout and diablo, the 1st computer RPG that I played was "Eye of the Beholder"-which was based on "dungeon master"- and according to some people definitions is not a RPG(and is 1st person point of view RPG in 90s). As you say character creation,progression (levelling in one or another system) and loot/inventory is the most defining characteristics of computer RPGs.
It's totally true, but now, it's could be less easy :)
Before, I had Oblivion for RPG and Far Cry Blood Dragon for FPS.

But now, take BD3 for example. You gain experience levels, you learn skills, you loot items, you can sell/buy stuff... it's a FPS, an Action-Aventure, an Action-RPG ?
Or a mix of that for attract more players than a "basic" FPS ? (<- the good answer for me) :)

Many people complains about "loot-shoot" mechanics in CP2077, but it was shooters (i think 1st Borderlands) that borrowed RPG mechanics to FPS genre not the other way around. I don't see a problem with genre fussion really, if it adds to gameplay/fun ( 1st shooter that i played was "Doom",so using a narrow fps definition of some people borderlands is not a shooter).

You guys seem to be forgetting CDPR themselves used to refer to Cyberpunk 2077 as a roleplaying game. The fact that at some point they sneakily changed the description on the page means absolutely nothing. It was advertised as an RPG and that fact remains.

Perhaps it would be better to no longer take "first person shooter" as a genre of its own and try find a better genre for counterstrike and call of duty. Technically all its says is that the player shoots in the first person, it says nothing about the rest of the game. RPG on the other side tells much more about anything but the POV the player controls it game from.

Taking these two descriptions as opposing genres is like taking card game as one genre and fantasy as another. While there can be many card games with fantasy genre but also science fiction games that are table top (and not card game).

Hence the very handy "Action-Adventure" category. It can encompass a good number of current games. If you have action, story and world to explore, it's good :)

I can´t find an easy to remember term that classifies a game about the complete lack of everything wich role playing games are about. Perhaps if i would actualy waste time with playing call of duty i could summ up the game features beside fps to find a description to oppose rpg. But i dont want to do that :>

Thinking back the biggest bother of this game for me is how we are forced to start the story with the failed heist, death, return and then slowly dying. I think it would be better if we had a chance to succed the heist or at the very least avoid getting killed and have the story about the chip take a complete different path. I feel kind if imprisoned in this story as if i enter jail when i start playing this game and no matter how much i struggle and get an illusion of freedom in night city its not real (additional to the fact thats a game i mean). I think it would give this a game a big PLUS if one could actually explore night city without a malfuntioning personalty chip in the mainbrain.

Just a thought that keeps returning to my mind every now and then.
You know, a lot say that the Heist failed, but I am actually to say that it succeeded. Namely,
the klepping of the relic. We succeeded in achieving it. One thing that was perhaps overlooked is that, in the case V told him the relic was in her head, Dex never bothered to take it out after he shot her, deliver it to Evelyn, collect the eds and disappear.

My only biggest bother with the game is traffic, which seem quite a (persisting) challenge for the team to fix and maintain.

I just came to think of it. In the editor of Starcraft 2 I'm creating a 'mode' which could also be considered an RPG ;)

But that asside. Can we basically declare most of these types of game A (T)FPAARPG :)
I can even make this forum into an rpg if i want to with making you compliments about your stunning red hair and what i would like to do if we.. where.. alone... in a dungeon full of monsters (quickly added) :love:

Its funny how people ignore this:
Its clearly on the official Cyberpunk 2077 site which is made by CDPR: "Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure story set in Night City,"
Not open world RPG but "action-adventure".
The game is akin to Assassins Creed Origins action-adventure with light RPG elements.

I bought the game with the RPG tag before the change early 2020.
and later around 2021 it continued to be advertised as an RPG in all the videos on the official site, not just action adventure.

I do not know if it is the only one but it is the only video game without a gameplay before reaching the consumer. No gameplay because all that was seen was a staging.

the worst campaign not friendly to us, they even came out to apologize without consequences. No less than 1 month ago cdprojekt announced its strategy changes so as not to repeat the outrage they did.

Last edited:

Adventure (point and click but before mice), rogue-like, plarformer, beat-em-up, shoot-em-up...... and Elite it was so much simpler.

Action-Adventure and Action-RPG are almost interchangeable, if you have some form of character progression.

CP2077 is more of an RPG than Witcher, e g.
In the Witcher you can only play as what would translate in DnD-Terms to an elven-orc (heightened senses, improved and toughened body), background raised in a monastery, with fighter/wizard maybe Eldritch knight multiclass.
No possibility to deviate from this template.

In CP2077 you have the choice to start as an urchin, spy, nomad confers to some kind of tinkerer or veteran and are absolutely not restricted "class" wise. You can be everything from wizard to meatshield.*
One could argue that different load outs in cyberware are akin to different races in DnD, ArmouredSkin/Berserk --> Orc, Kerenzikov/Deck --> elven, and so on.

Everytime I read about the Witcher it is labelled as an RPG though.

A story with (meaningful) choices does not define an RPG, story and choices can be part of a platformer or shooter too.

*Edit: The problem in CP2077 is that gameplay mechanics are terribly lacking or broken. So they decided to paint over with the label action adventure.
But everybody can see through the wet paint that for about 7,5 years it was labelled as an RPG below.
"Action-Adventure and Action-RPG are almost interchangeable, if you have some form of character progression."

Assassins Creed Origins, Far Cry 5 are Action-Adventure.
Are them therefore both RPG?

Having some light RPG elements does not make both Assassins Creed Origins, Far Cry 5 and Cyberpunk 2077 RPG.
The same way shooting in Cyberpunk 2077 it does not make it an FPS game. Is it Fallout New Vegas FPS because of first person shooting?

Just conflating any game anything just because does not make any sense.

Action games are games that use hand-eye coordination and reaction time to overcome challenges and progress through story.
RPGS are games that use character attributes level as a mean to overcome challenges and progress through story.

In Cyberpunk 2077 the winning factor in a fight its your skill(hand-eye coordination and reaction time). The skills and perks are a joke.

Its not gonna influence more the winning and progression. You don't feel the need for specialization.

Last edited:
"Action-Adventure and Action-RPG are almost interchangeable, if you have some form of character progression."

Assassins Creed Origins, Far Cry 5 are Action-Adventure.
Are them therefore both RPG?

Having some light RPG elements does not make both Assassins Creed Origins, Far Cry 5 and Cyberpunk 2077 RPG.
The same way shooting in Cyberpunk 2077 it does not make it an FPS game. Is it Fallout New Vegas FPS because of first person shooting?

Just conflating any game anything just because does not make any sense.

Action games are games that use hand-eye coordination and reaction time to overcome challenges and progress through story.
RPGS are games that use character attributes level as a mean to overcome challenges and progress through story.

In Cyberpunk 2077 the winning factor in a fight its your skill(hand-eye coordination and reaction time).
Did you finish cp2077 in very hard with starting inventory and without spending experience points?

Did you finish cp2077 in very hard with starting inventory and without spending experience points?
I did not. But i did the same in Assassins Creed Origins. Perks and skills are of little influence.

In Cyberpunk 2077 the winning factor in a fight its your skill(hand-eye coordination and reaction time). The skills and perks are a joke.

Its not gonna influence more the winning and progression. You don't feel the need for specialization.

In cyberpunk 2077 and Assassins Creed Origins i choose perks and skills without any thinking. Just because are there. They don't matter much.
I feel the same in Skyrim. Skills were a joke. I could kill enemies by moving left and right or around them. They swing in the air. So easy and boring. Level, skills and perks did not matter that much as my moving.

Having skills and perks does not make a game RPG.

Last edited:
Enough off-topic. This thread is not about whether the game is an RPG, nor about what constitutes and RPG.

Please either get back on topic or take the discussion to some other thread where it won't be off-topic.

I agree. Jackie pretty much has received the unfortunate role and fate of "the first man to die".
He's the character that introduces you to the world and some of the main people and the role of their type of which you will encounter more of later on. He introduces you to a ripperdoc, he introduces you to the having and driving of a car, he introduces you to combat and sneakyness and lastly he is the commen thread that does the initial build of the narrative. But that also means his 'usage' becomes irrelevant from the point where it's gonna be about you. The only thing that could fix that, is if they were actual companions that you could bring along like Fallout or Outer Worlds. They would however be transformed from a character into more of a secondary weapon (which can both help or screw things up)
I personally also have no issues with jackie clearing the field after his times was up. He got a cliché send-off, but it was still a worthy one inside the boundaries of the story. And the entire offrenda is the first time I have ever seen a funeral rite being done for an NPC, so for me, he gets the proper goodbyes to make you feel it has some significance. Its up to the player to judge wether they did experience it as such or not ;)
Post automatically merged:
Biggest problem with Jackie arc that nobody talks about is CDPR spoiling his whole death in a trailer LOL. I dont know other dev studio that does stuff like that. It makes me think we could maybe play that quest different way but they were rushed and have to cut stuff. I was so suprised that we saw major death that is importand for the motivation of our char in E3 trailer. You had millions who watched that trailer and nobody was shocked that Jackie dies. Huge mistake by CDPR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom