Turn Based Combat or Shooter ?

+
No, because combat in turn based takes foreeeevvvvvvvver.

I like it and I'm really enjoying Shadowrun returns, but it is godawful slow.

Cyberpunk combat is fast-fast. First guy who moves is often the last guy in a fight.

I would prefer combat in CP77 to be like that in the witcher games, except you know, with different stuff and such.

But seriously, real-time, tactical combat, please.

Well, if your character sucks at shooting, don't use vats... if you suck at shooting sue vats... if both you and your character suck at shooting... well thats too bad...don't get in fights...

Exactly.

Just to clarify though, my point was that having V.A.T.S. doesn't automatically mean making the player's own shooting skill obsolete, an argument that seemed to be made against V.A.T.S. earlier in this thread.

V.A.T.S., huh. I'm pretty sure if you dig through the Chrome books you can find gear of some sort that would be similar to V.A.T.S. or even some Cyber-optics or chips that could be similar to it.

Like I said before, and with which Spider enthusiastically agreed (thanks, dude), any mechanic like VATS is fine as long as there isn't too much of a loss in time pressure, i.e. no tactical pausing, please.

I feel turnbased is more tactical and you actually care about leveling up and getting new perks in combat but in real time it dont matter much. its more rpg to have turnbased combat.

I feel turnbased is more tactical and you actually care about leveling up and getting new perks in combat but in real time it dont matter much. its more rpg to have turnbased combat.

That depends on the RPG. There are no levels in Cyberpunk so that half of the argument is moot.

Tue action in cyberpunk is meant to be fast, visceral and lethal. You just don't het that feeling from chess...

I mean 'turn based' combat.

Heh. "Chess'. Nicely played.

There are sort-of levels in CPunk, but they are really more analagous to real-life "levels". Skills and stats have levels, but individually and they relate directly to performance.

There are Special Ability "levels" but those are mere rough guidleines to your character's capabilties. And wealth. i suppose there are very real wealth levels. As a Cyberpunk, you don't have any.

If you do you are probably a Corp and you have money, a "safehouse" and no soul at all. Sneeeeer.

Heh. "Chess'. Nicely played.
Cheers.

There are sort-of levels in CPunk, but they are really more analagous to real-life "levels". Skills and stats have levels, but individually and they relate directly to performance.

There are Special Ability "levels" but those are mere rough guidleines to your character's capabilties. And wealth. i suppose there are very real wealth levels. As a Cyberpunk, you don't have any.

If you do you are probably a Corp and you have money, a "safehouse" and no soul at all. Sneeeeer.
To clarify, when I said there were no 'levels' in Cyberpunk, I was specifically refering to 'Character Levels'.

The interesting thing about the levels you listed that 2020 does have is that they are fluid. They are not set in stone and they can move both up and down for a number of reasons.

funny thing is, shooter action is also seen as a chess match where enemies foresee each other action

funny thing is, shooter action is also seen as a chess match where enemies foresee each other action
Any form of competative activity can be compared to the principles of chess. That's a no brainer.

Real time combat being compared to chess stops at the basic 'out maneuvering' and 'out witting' principles.

Turn based combat actually plays like chess. You stop and consider your moves, taking time to consider their long term consequences. It is far less reactionary, less pressured and has far fewer unknown variables than realtime.

Any form of competative activity can be compared to the principles of chess. That's a no brainer.

Real time combat being compared to chess stops at the basic 'out maneuvering' and 'out witting' principles.

Turn based combat actually plays like chess. You stop and consider your moves, taking time to consider their long term consequences. It is far less reactionary, less pressured and has far fewer unknown variables than realtime.

0_o
Way to make things up. Shooters are about tactics to support strategies just like chess. You 'll find this written in every level design book:/

So basically what I wrote then.

No, as every kind of combat is beyond "out maneuvering' and 'out witting' principles". Just like chess pieces, pick ups and items and whatever play the same roles to reach objectives. They just play in different maps.

Imagine some guy with a crap aim playing quake. Given the knowledge of the map, he can still dominate on the enemies as he knows the most powerful items locations which, with their presence, will indirectly give him enemies location since they took different ways to different items. After all the running he knows where the enemies are going to pop up and spams.
Aerowalk is a great example of this

Top Bottom