6 month game retrospective...lets talk

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly did Cyberpunk 2077 have, that hadn't been done before?
no loading screens, vertical instead of only horizontal map depth, 3 different approaching types that can be mixed (brute force, stealth, quickhacks), modifying your own body to become a cyborg that can override your humanity if you push it too far, super realistic facial expressions and body language, huge npc crowds that make the city feel alive, great attention to details and breathtaking looks of the city overall with all the ads and neon lights everywhere, a world next to the real life (cyberspace), text messaging system (and phone calls) for conversations with main characters, exceptionally well written side-stories (some even better than the main story), nice variety in weapons, items, gangs, world parts (districts), street cred to let everyone know you're something better and someone you shouldn't mess with, extreme life-insurance system (trauma-team), the overall idea of a corrupt city with a divided, superficial and materialistic society where only the rich and criminals survive, ...

these were great, some were revolutionary ideas, unfortunately, not all of them were done right (rushed).

Last edited:
Just for argument sake: having great ideas can indeed mean they could be done before. But CP can take them in a direction that makes it so they remain good ideas regardless. This is not mutually exclusive.

I would count amongst these: the concept of mega corps that control the political scale. I would believe it that a game may have done it before, but its still damn great how its done in CP. derived from the above: the extreme devide betwwen the rich and poor and their living conditions. Rich live up their clouds free of everything and in the streets you're a bullet away from dying every day. Again, may have been done before, still a great idea and with a magnificent implementation to boot.
The lifestle of the Nomad. I know of Rage 2 (closest I can think off) Yet somehow I feel its overshadowed by how CP handles it.

The a revolutionary idea. Well I think Night City is a valid one here. I do not know of any game that does what CP does in how you experience NC. Mind you, I am aware of some of the shortcoming. But that means it would be EVEN BETTER if that is fixed. But I think it revolutionary already.

What I think border somewhere between great and revolutionary. The fact that you can start out from a different perspective (lifepaths)
Yes I already hear the ptchforks .. they are a shadow of what many believed/hoped it would become. But even that does not take away from the concept at its core, having the option of completely different origins for the same character.

no loading screens, vertical instead of only horizontal map depth, 3 different approaching types that can be mixed (brute force, stealth, quickhacks), modifying your own body to become a cyborg that can override your humanity if you push it too far, super realistic facial expressions and body language, huge npc crowds that make the city feel alive, great attention to details and breathtaking looks of the city overall with all the ads and neon lights everywhere, a world next to the real life (cyberspace), text messaging system (and phone calls) for conversations with main characters, exceptionally well written side-stories (some even better than the main story), nice variety in weapons, items, gangs, world parts (districts), street cred to let everyone know you're something better and someone you shouldn't mess with, extreme life-insurance system (trauma-team), the overall idea of a corrupt city with a divided, superficial and materialistic society where only the rich and criminals survive, ...

these were great, some were revolutionary ideas, unfortunately, not all of them were done right (rushed).
“these were great, some were revolutionary ideas, unfortunately, not all of them were done right (rushed).”

So much is wrong here.
"no loading screens": Soma 2015(one of the best game ever). Getting into the game is pretty much the only real loading screen. After you're in control of your character, the game is pretty much continuous until either you quit or beat the game.
You have no loading screens in No Mans Sky, Batman: Arkham Knight, Horizon Zero Dawn also if I remember correctly.

“vertical instead of only horizontal map depth,” You had this in Deus Ex Human Revolution. You could travel on rooftops on the map. Even had this cool landing animation that pales against everything u have in cyberpunk 2077. And the game was done in 2011. Imagine being done now.

"3 different approaching types that can be mixed (brute force, stealth, quick hacks)": Deus Ex Human Revolution. A much better game. Hacking is better. Augmentation upgrades really matter. Gameplay that combines the genres of action, stealth, and role-playing games.

“modifying your own body to become a cyborg that can override your humanity if you push it too far” Again Deus Ex Human Revolution. The game addressed the ethical quandaries posed by skill-enhancing augmentations. One of the more complex issues addressed in the game is that of augmentations giving the recipients advantages in the job market. In the game this inevitably results in an unfair advantage for the wealthy.

“huge NPC crowds that make the city feel alive” The NPC have basic routines, they are braindead, vanished when u turn(u can see this), cars vanish too. Very immersion breaking. A minus in my mind.

“exceptionally well written side-stories “ Witcher 3 had this. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Mass effect 2. Dark brotherhood in Oblivion. Fallout New Vegas. Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

“nice variety in weapons”-nothing new. You find this is Borderlands games for example. (Borderlands 3 has 1 billion weapons)

“items, gangs, world parts (districts)” You had gangs(Derelict Row Ballers, Motor City Bangers, Harvesters, Skulls, Rooks, The Dvali crime family, Triads(Red Arrow and Luminous Path) and world parts(Alice Garden Pods, Construction Site, Daigong District, Harvester Hideout, Kuaigan district, Old Noodle Factory, Port of Hanming, Youzhao District) in Deus Ex Human Revolution.

“the overall idea of a corrupt city with a divided, superficial and materialistic society”-You find such things in Deus Games. You have a bleak cyberpunk vision of the future, an oppressive totalitarian landscape.

“great attention to details and breathtaking looks of the city overall with all the ads and neon lights everywhere” This may be the only thing.

Most things u find revolutionary are found in games 6, 10, 21 years old.

I find Cyberpunk 2077 even after 6 months a bad, failed copy of Deus Games and Borderland Games.

Last edited:
“these were great, some were revolutionary ideas, unfortunately, not all of them were done right (rushed).”

So much is wrong here.
"no loading screens": Soma 2015(one of the best game ever). Getting into the game is pretty much the only real loading screen. After you're in control of your character, the game is pretty much continuous until either you quit or beat the game.
You have no loading screens in No Mans Sky, Batman: Arkham Knight, Horizon Zero Dawn also if I remember correctly.

“vertical instead of only horizontal map depth,” You had this in Deus Ex Human Revolution. You could travel on rooftops on the map. Even had this cool landing animation that pales against everything u have in cyberpunk 2077. And the game was done in 2011. Imagine being done now.

"3 different approaching types that can be mixed (brute force, stealth, quick hacks)": Deus Ex Human Revolution. A much better game. Hacking is better. Augmentation upgrades really matter. Gameplay that combines the genres of action, stealth, and role-playing games.

“modifying your own body to become a cyborg that can override your humanity if you push it too far” Again Deus Ex Human Revolution. The game addressed the ethical quandaries posed by skill-enhancing augmentations. One of the more complex issues addressed in the game is that of augmentations giving the recipients advantages in the job market. In the game this inevitably results in an unfair advantage for the wealthy.

“huge NPC crowds that make the city feel alive” The NPC have basic routines, they are braindead, vanished when u turn(u can see this), cars vanish too. Very immersion breaking. A minus in my mind.

“exceptionally well written side-stories “ Witcher 3 had this. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Mass effect 2. Dark brotherhood in Oblivion. Fallout New Vegas. Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

“nice variety in weapons”-nothing new. You find this is Borderlands games for example. (Borderlands 3 has 1 billion weapons)

“items, gangs, world parts (districts)” You had gangs(Derelict Row Ballers, Motor City Bangers, Harvesters, Skulls, Rooks, The Dvali crime family, Triads(Red Arrow and Luminous Path) and world parts(Alice Garden Pods, Construction Site, Daigong District, Harvester Hideout, Kuaigan district, Old Noodle Factory, Port of Hanming, Youzhao District) in Deus Ex Human Revolution.

“the overall idea of a corrupt city with a divided, superficial and materialistic society”-You find such things in Deus Games. You have a bleak cyberpunk vision of the future, an oppressive totalitarian landscape.

“great attention to details and breathtaking looks of the city overall with all the ads and neon lights everywhere” This may be the only thing.

Most things u find revolutionary are found in games 6, 10, 21 years old.

I find Cyberpunk 2077 even after 6 months a bad, failed copy of Deus Games and Borderland Games.
To add to your list.....
"No loading screens" - maybe they would have less issues technically and be able to have script run in the background more if they did have more loading screens. AI for cops, AI for civilian routines, civilians not appear/disappear if you turn in circles

"Vertical" as an achievement. Yawn. Fallout 4. You could go up buildings, inside some, outside others. Not a huge fan of that game but it isnt revolutionary. As you can only go into and up buildings that are shops or quest locations is a joke.

“huge NPC crowds that make the city feel alive” Seriously? There are people who think this? NPC's who disappear and reappear if you change directions, do absolutely nothing. Have nothing to say. Do nothing. NONE of them can you even have an interesting conversation with unless they are a quest person or shopkeep. ZERO

“exceptionally well written side-stories “ Someone has low standards. Yes, there are some good side quests. Interesting is word I would use. Exceptional? No.
One of the best side missions in 2077: Peralez - only one way to do the quest - only one way to resolve the quest - decision at the end wether to tell or not. Zero branches except dialog at the end.
The Tower/Metz in W3. You can resolve the quest in multiple ways, you have then two different types of dialogue at the end to inform metz or not, and try and convince her or not. Three points of choices.
Almost all side quests in 2077 are Bethesda type - go to X, kill/defeat people present. Collect loot.

“items, gangs, world parts (districts)” As the gangs are done in an idiotic way and never remember you I wouldn't call it a positive or even well done , especially not revolutionary. In FO:NV you could make friends with some factions, become enemies with others - and news flash - they remembered if you start going around slaughtering their members.

The City LOOKS great. But it is so empty of depth, of things to do that aren't shoot people quests / defeat enemies quests and the only locations you can go into are quest locations make the world shallow but pretty.

Ya'all need to read before you write a novel. I said "GREAT IDEAS, SOME even revolutionary". Pointing out on the word IDEA, implementation is another level, because as said in my previous post, 70% of these great ideas were implemented poorly. Or do you disagree with me that those ideas are great (if done right)?

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Not many individual elements that hadn't been done before.
However, there's no other game that manages to reproduce Deus Ex gameplay in the open world environment. Sheer quantity of opportunities to use any of pacifist/stealth+lethal/guns blazing playstyles combined with hacking and finding alternate routes to your objectives does not exist in any other game I'm aware of.
On top of that, there's a really good story, characters, soundtrack and gorgeous city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya'all need to read before you write a novel. I said "GREAT IDEAS, SOME even revolutionary". Pointing out on the word IDEA, implementation is another level, because as said in my previous post, 70% of these great ideas were implemented poorly. Or do you disagree with me that those ideas are great (if done right)?
You were asked: "What exactly did Cyberpunk 2077 have, that hadn't been done before?"
And u enumerated those things. Which means you thought those things hadn't been done before, no?

Some means plural. I pointed out there is no such thing.

You were asked: "What exactly did Cyberpunk 2077 have, that hadn't been done before?"
And u enumerated those things. Which means you thought those things hadn't been done before, no?

Some means plural. I pointed out there is no such thing.
And I replied to that by giving examples for the previous post I created. He quoted my post where I said "imo, the game had incredible (even revolutionary) ideas". And I provided examples with incredible AND revolutionary ideas, exactly what I was asked for. It is plural for a reason.

these were great, some were revolutionary ideas

You were telling us how this and that is bad in CP and that this and that game does it better than CP. I was talking about the ideas, not the implementation.

Pointing out on the word IDEA, implementation is another level, because as said in my previous post, 70% of these great ideas were implemented poorly. Or do you disagree with me that those ideas are great (if done right)?

Last edited:
And I replied to that by giving examples for the previous post I created. He quoted my post where I said "imo, the game had incredible (even revolutionary) ideas". And I provided examples with incredible AND revolutionary ideas, exactly what I was asked for. It is plural for a reason.

You were telling us how this and that is bad in CP and that this and that game does it better than CP. I was talking about the ideas, not the implementation.
So you did not answer this question "What exactly did Cyberpunk 2077 have, that hadn't been done before?" but you were quoting it?

Does not make any sense.

So you did not answer this question "What exactly did Cyberpunk 2077 have, that hadn't been done before?" but you were quoting it?

Does not make any sense.
i did answer it, with more than needed. He quoted my sentence where the main statement was "incredible ideas" and not "revolutionary ideas", I gave examples for both. So I answered the question plus I added examples to my previous post from which the quote came from.

We are already closer to fulfilling the title of this post. The 6 months since we saw this game. Some information on the DLC would be nice, even if they came out in August ... It starts to be no longer fun to continue investigating the city ... I have it already burned to the last corner ...

Thanks to the modders we now have very interesting gameplay mods, like combat, movement, Ai... some of them I imagined would belong in the Vanilla from the start, but it's OK since we knew that the mods will eventually push the game forward.

I'm just wondering how's the state of the game engine itself ? It seems like it's not much adapted to the size and complexity of this game... the game seems to hardly keep things together : too many visual clipping, AI or physics reduced to the basic functions and still odd or buggy 5 months later, despite the huge work CDPR made to get it right through patches.

In example, in the "GTA-like" fast travel mod we see a huge clipping as the camera leaps up to the air, there's just building structures left, seems like the game is not designed for plane (or flying car) travel. Other example with the police improvement mod, there's basically no traffic on the streets, it seems pretty unimmersive to me.

I wonder how complex a mod can be that the game engine can hold. Adding things like collectibles, apartment decorations, shops, useful food, better car physics, even mini-games, I believe these are the least complicated to do.

But how difficult do you think is would be to make things like Main character improvements (reflections on surfaces, TPP switch, better movement... they seem to struggle with this one) ? Love interests and relationship ? (permanent) Companion ? Pedestrians improvement ? I can't even imagine a functional metro station, or realistic police management as for now, but I wish all these suggestions come to life soon.

Thanks to the modders we now have very interesting gameplay mods, like combat, movement, Ai... some of them I imagined would belong in the Vanilla from the start, but it's OK since we knew that the mods will eventually push the game forward.

I'm just wondering how's the state of the game engine itself ? It seems like it's not much adapted to the size and complexity of this game... the game seems to hardly keep things together : too many visual clipping, AI or physics reduced to the basic functions and still odd or buggy 5 months later, despite the huge work CDPR made to get it right through patches.

In example, in the "GTA-like" fast travel mod we see a huge clipping as the camera leaps up to the air, there's just building structures left, seems like the game is not designed for plane (or flying car) travel. Other example with the police improvement mod, there's basically no traffic on the streets, it seems pretty unimmersive to me.

I wonder how complex a mod can be that the game engine can hold. Adding things like collectibles, apartment decorations, shops, useful food, better car physics, even mini-games, I believe these are the least complicated to do.

But how difficult do you think is would be to make things like Main character improvements (reflections on surfaces, TPP switch, better movement... they seem to struggle with this one) ? Love interests and relationship ? (permanent) Companion ? Pedestrians improvement ? I can't even imagine a functional metro station, or realistic police management as for now, but I wish all these suggestions come to life soon.

I wish all this would be done by the actual devs, not modders.

So, what are the chances that we'll see something from CDPR to 'celebrate' the six months since the debut?
No new patches, no free DLCs nor paid ones. And Sony still refuses to allow CP2077 back on its store. :shrug:

At this point, most of the disappointment shifted from the state of the game itself (I quit playing it over one month ago), to how CDPR reacted to everything that followed making any comparison with the Witcher 3 even more striking.

Following the reply from above, I still think CDPR have handled it better than Bethesda did with FO76 ( which will remain being the comparison in the case)
CDPR has done no shady shenanigans with introduction of micro transaction, dumbass subscription passes or other. Their 'worst' acting as far as I can tell SINCE launch is the little amount of communication. Something I personally prefer actually, but I know others haven't.
The playstation store thing for me: I completely put that on Sony as it stands. I will not believe in a million years that they still do not allow because of technical reasons (if that still is the case even) and that its just being sour on their end because of the refund thing.
Which should also tell you something about their business practise: no refund policy, in case something isnt properly working.

If CDPR is honna bring out some dlc or new patch, like 1.3 then that'll be all the celebration I need. And even then, perhaps I will make my own small celebration by simply playing and doing some fun headcannon roleplay.
All the celebration I need right there :)

Following the reply from above, I still think CDPR have handled it better than Bethesda did with FO76 ( which will remain being the comparison in the case)
When comparisons to RDR2 are being brushed aside as not relevant and "unfair", I find it strange that FO76 is used to defend the state of this game and CDPR's actions. I own FO76 and when it released there was a full playable game. It had some serious issues and it was not the game that many Fallout fans wanted, but it was not any where near the unfinished state that CP2077 was and still is. Also, it is an online only multiplayer "live service" game, so the comparisons don't really stack up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom