It's been two weeks of awful video games....

+
It's been two weeks of awful video games....

I recently signed up for PS+ and in doing so got access to several free games...my brother also has a habit of renting awful games on redbox...

Now, before I get into the bullshit, I will say I got one good game out of the last two weeks... Uncharted 3... for a linear game it was really fun, with a pretty good story, passable gameplay, and excellent voice acting... In fact, the voice acting was positively superb, the jokes had excellent timing and personalities really shown throuigh. Though in the end the gameplay was pretty much identical to the latest Tomb Raider... The only complaint I had was that multi-player seemed really out of place in a game like this with the gameplay mechanics present.

Now with the one good game out of the way........

The first in the slew of awful games was Aliens: Colonial Marines. Now I had heard that the game sucked, but we figured what the hell... it let you play colonial marines, with pulse rifles... except they couldn't even get that part right, with bullshit ammo capacities. Then they went and added some guns that were ok, but felt kind of unnecessary. But of all the weapons, the absolute worst was the pump style shotgun with an underpbarel pump action grenade launcher.... which yeah, looked as stupid as it sounds...

But stupid weapons are a minor thing... you never really have to use them, unless you run out of ammo for some reason. So that much could at least be ignored... Unfortunately the gameplay itself fell victim to every shoddy bullshit mechanic and cliche imaginable. Enemies that didn't spawn until you reached a checkpoint, aliens that were far more resistant to bullets than what was seen in the films, bullshit boss enemies that were invulnerable until "just the right time", story events that proved your character was an idiot (such as letting a guy run around with you with an alien embryo in his chest, yet acting all surprised when it pops out), Running around with a squad who not only can't hit anything for shit, but constantly get in your way, and can't die unless the "story" wills it. I could go on, but there is little point... The only enjoyable parts of the game were fighting other humans, and the little shoutouts to the movies... and it gave Micheal Biehn a job, and resurrected Hicks... so at least there is that.

The next game I tried out was Battlefront, one of the free offerings from PS+. Christ... I slogged through the first few levels of this first person shooter crapfest until I couldn't take it anymore. It too fell prey to bullshit shooter clishes, but even harder, including the worst sin of all. For a game where stealth is a possibility, and in some missions the point, stealth in this game is a concept best thrown out the window. Once the enemies do see you, they always seem to know where you are, even if you are hundreds of meters away and slinking behind some debris, they know right where you are at all times and shoot pretty much unerringly. Meanwhile, you can't even see the fuckers without sacrificing yoruself, sticking your head up long enough to get shot at least once, just to hope you can see where the muzzle flash is coming from. But all that is part and parcel for FPS games... it's just the way they are done, just like they are all straight linear bullshit. Where I decided to call it quits was when you switched to playing a "pilot", well, they called you a pilot, but you were just the navigator/gunner... and the game went from difficult to romper room easy... At that point I couldn't take it anymore, too much bullshit. I am sure this game appeals to someone, but there was just too much bullshit for me to deal with.

Deleting Battlefront from my hard drive after only getting a few levels in, I decided to wash the taste of it out my mouth with something I had been meaning to play for a long time, but never got around to. Jet Set Radio. Now I had heard this game was good, it even had a bit of a cyberpunk vibe to it. Gangs in a futuristic Tokyo, with a funk feel and rollerblading... sounds like some good fun. And goddammit, I was ready for some fun. Unfortunately, Fun is not what I got. Horrible controls, stupid looking characters, cell shaded animation, and worst of all, no violence... Now I am positive that it probably is a great game, if violence is not your thing and you like overly cute twinkle fests with fairly racist characterizations. I barely made it through the tutorial, and didn't make it through the first mission before I decided I could not stand this game.

Nest up was Spartacus: Legends... I had never heard of it, but I dug the show... so I gave it a download. Now I thought Volition and it's bullshit on disk DLC was a despicable money grubbing ploy... holy fuck, Volition is amateur night when it comes to scams... this game is a wanna-be tekken, but with far less moves, and just plain boring progression. Now it did have the nice bonus that if your fighter is killed, he is actually dead... but that goes out the window when you realize you can just buy them back to life.... It ofers a variety of weapons and armor, but it all kinda looks the same, unless youa re willing to spend real money to get shit that is actually useful or subject yoruself to playing endlessly repetitive fights to unlock new gear and weapons which suck just a little bit less than the old stuff, and oh yes, they beg you to spend real money on it... with every non fight screen having an option to take you to the bank where you can spend real money to get fake money, to purchase bullshit. This game is utter crap, but even it isn't the worst offender of DLC money pandering...

The award for worst, most obnoxious DLC pandering and money scamming goes to DUST... which apparently is a first person shooter spin-off of Eve... I downloaded it, and never actually got far enough to fight anything, the minute I looked and saw that the DLC to get money in the game ranged from 50 to 99 dollars a pop I was done... I damn sure am not going to buy fake money with real money, which means I am never going to be able to play and have an enjoyable time in a bullshit game like this.

Luckily at this point, Uncharted 3 finished downloading... and I had a good time with that or 2 and a half days...

Then my brother brought home the latest Resident Evil... now I have never been a fan of the series in the first place, but I had warned him several times that I had heard nothing but bad things about the game, but he had to give it a go. So for the last 3 days I have watched him play (I have standards, I will not play this garbage) this game... and it's worse than I could have possibly imagined. Every shitty aspect of the series is amplified... slow movement, running back and forth over the same small environments over and over again, horrible combat, stupid looking monsters, characters who are idiots and can't see the giant telegraphed plot twists that are so obvious it's painful... But even worse, this game has the stupidest looking supporting characters I have ever seen in a game outside Final Fantasy crap. You main characters companion is a doughy cheese eating surrender monkey who looks like he would be more at home at an all you can eat pancake house than as a commando. But even he is tolerable, what isn't tolerable is the ginger emo twat, who keeps showing up and trying to look tough and mysterious, when really he just looks like he would cry if he skinned his knee, or if he realized how utterly sissy he looked with that stupid god-awful hair cut.

Resident Evil really is the worst francxhise of "Action" games ever... and this is definitely the worst of the series.

Dammit, I was looking for something to tide me over till GTA5.... but nothing is fitting the bill, even the good games I manage to find just don;t have the longevity. Nathan Drake is awesome, but once the game is done, I saw no reason to return to it, much the same as Tomb Raider. Which is the problem with linear games, they are good for one play through for me, than I am just done...

Oh well, the search for something to keep my attention continues.

Forum veteran
Now I am positive that it probably is a great game, if violence is not your thing and you like overly cute twinkle fests with fairly racist characterizations. I barely made it through the tutorial, and didn't make it through the first mission before I decided I could not stand this game.
High five.

I never understood why Jet Set Radio got any attention, especially given its truly awful controls (which were so much worse on the awkward Dreamcast controller). Did you play the upgraded version? The original version had annoying timers, too. It's like, "Here's this potentially interesting world we made! NOW DON'T EXPLORE IT OR YOU'LL LOSE."

High five.

I never understood why Jet Set Radio got any attention, especially given its truly awful controls (which were so much worse on the awkward Dreamcast controller). Did you play the upgraded version? The original version had annoying timers, too. It's like, "Here's this potentially interesting world we made! NOW DON'T EXPLORE IT OR YOU'LL LOSE."

I honestly couldn't tell you, I stopped playing the game during the first non-tutorial mission...

wisdom, why u play such horrid games? i wish you lived down the street so i could loan you some not shit ones :)

in the past month or so i've played the last of us, metro: last light, far cry 3, spec ops: the line, and the tomb raider reboot. all of them well worth checking out.

wisdom, why u play such horrid games? i wish you lived down the street so i could loan you some not shit ones :)

in the past month or so i've played the last of us, metro: last light, far cry 3, spec ops: the line, and the tomb raider reboot. all of them well worth checking out.

I played last of us and Tomb Raider, and loved them, but man, I beat them each in like 2 days... and with games like that there is just no reason to ever go back... Once the story is told, it's told, and there is nothing else beyond the story that's really all that interesting...

So I went with some free games to try and kill time... hell trying out a free game was how I discovered SR2 when a friend gave it to me...

Now... now I am just bored...

You poor, poor bastard. Those are horrid. You'll never have your life points back.

Even last of us and Tomb Raider were only good to me. LoU was a great game, but I never finished it, maybe 60% done. Just too linear and predictable. Tomb Raider I got 80% and stopped. Last 20% was work.

Uhm, what is good yo might not have played. Gotta cross out all the fantasy, which is too bad. Have you tried Alpha Protocol, METRO + sequel, Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon or Vampire: Bloodlines? Do they make VBL for consoles even?

Maybe Batman? I never did finish either one, though.

You poor, poor bastard. Those are horrid. You'll never have your life points back.

Even last of us and Tomb Raider were only good to me. LoU was a great game, but I never finished it, maybe 60% done. Just too linear and predictable. Tomb Raider I got 80% and stopped. Last 20% was work.

Uhm, what is good yo might not have played. Gotta cross out all the fantasy, which is too bad. Have you tried Alpha Protocol, METRO + sequel, Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon or Vampire: Bloodlines? Do they make VBL for consoles even?

Maybe Batman? I never did finish either one, though.

I played the demo of blood dragon... but it just felt like another first person shooter, Granted Bheins voice made it tolerable to play for free, but it wasn't anything I would pay for.

Metro looks interesting to me, been hoping to find a good deal on that. and no... I wouldn' buy anything that had to do with a white wolf property, I have too much self respect for that :p

So why aren't you playing Witcher 2? You need to, you know you do. Then you get to talk all authoritatively and knowledgebly in these forums about both CP and TW, just like Sard. It must hurt at the moment to know that he knows more than you do.

Because it's not available on playstation.

Plus, it's fantasy... and fantasy is for girls.

Forum veteran
Tomb Raider I got 80% and stopped. Last 20% was work.
Same. To be fair, I was also sick of everything Lara touched crumbling and exploding beneath her. And the characters being used for cheap emotion without any effort being made to actually develop them first. And a lot of the combat being QTE-esque "hit a button when the circle is inside of another circle" stupidity. But hey, you can press a button to latch onto certain parts of rock walls! GOTY!

... I'll never understand some people's tastes. Also, how could you not have finished either Batman? Asylum's ending was pretty stupid, but City had one of the most memorable (slash-ballsy) endings in recent memory.

Now... now I am just bored...
When you get bored, it's always best to look to the past because there are always great games that you missed out on. PS3s are all backward compatible with PS1 games, right? There are so many great PS1 games out there. Bushido Blade 1 and 2, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, the Deception series (Kagero is a personal favorite), Front Mission 3, etcetera.

None of those are fantasy, by the way.

PS3s are all backward compatible with PS1 games, right?

think that's only the first run "George foreman grill" models of the ps3. word is they stripped backward compatibility out of the later ones due to cost issues. i've got one of the clunky old ones, but then again i have like 5 games total for PS. the most on time it usually sees is when the cleaning lady dusts it and it runs till i get home.

Forum veteran
think that's only the first run "George foreman grill" models of the ps3. word is they stripped backward compatibility out of the later ones due to cost issues.
I was under the impression that it only affected the backward compatibility with PS2 games, though.

Yeah, I didn't finish Arkham City because Catwoman bored me. Also because batman s SO FUCKING STUPID. World's Greatest Detective my ass.

Vampire Bloodlines was a lot of fun and well written and bullet-time celerity ROCKED. Also Dominate. Pull your head out of your pre-judging southern sectors. Yes, WW has a lot of pretentious assholes and goth shit, ( although I find goth kinda hot, obviously), but it's also got some great settings, cool horrible stories and badasses who reshape flesh and bone like plastercine. Fun times. AND it's modern, so you can whip out the autoshotgun and ventilate those snooty vampire fucks. Which I did. A lot.

I didn't finish Blood Dragon either. I play a bit to listen to Hicks do a comedy show. It's great.

Alpha Protocol is fun and also well written and on PS3. Check it out.

Yeah, I didn't finish Arkham City because Catwoman bored me. Also because batman s SO FUCKING STUPID. World's Greatest Detective my ass.

Vampire Bloodlines was a lot of fun and well written and bullet-time celerity ROCKED. Also Dominate. Pull your head out of your pre-judging southern sectors. Yes, WW has a lot of pretentious assholes and goth shit, ( although I find goth kinda hot, obviously), but it's also got some great settings, cool horrible stories and badasses who reshape flesh and bone like plastercine. Fun times. AND it's modern, so you can whip out the autoshotgun and ventilate those snooty vampire fucks. Which I did. A lot.

I didn't finish Blood Dragon either. I play a bit to listen to Hicks do a comedy show. It's great.

Alpha Protocol is fun and also well written and on PS3. Check it out.

I will check out AP if I get the chance...

But really, the last cool vampire thing I saw was Near Dark back in the 80's... once Anne Rice came around and sissied up vampires things just have never been the same... I can't respect them anymore.

Ah, Near Dark.

So very very good.

My favourite vampire movie and the only one I own. On VHS, no less! Bill Paxton's best role, ( although who doesn't love Hudson, especially in the Director's Cut...and Frailty was superb..I could almost tolerate Big Love...but I digress). Near Dark was actually one of the inspirations for White Wolf's World of Darkness.

The Gangrel clan are the Near Dark-inspired vampires. Plus shapechanging.Well, Gangrel and the Sabbat. More the Sabbat, although the Gangrel have the leather-clad nomads who fight a lot thing happening. Sabbat are fucking nutso, though.

Did you notice how many people from ND showed up in Aliens and then onto the Abyss? Gale Anne Hurd made Near Dark and when Cameron made Aliens, he used most of the ND cast - Paxton, Goldstein, ( a fantastically under-rated and under used actress) and of course one of my favourites, Lance Henriksen. Who, along with Paxton, was in Terminator.

So delicious an era.

Anyway, Vampire played Near Dark style is a lot of fun and that, of course, is how I tend to play and run it. Fast, crazy and violent. Also, if I'm lucky, scary.

"Hey, Caleb! Fasten' your fuckin' seat belt!"

Have you played Beyond Two Souls, Starhawk, and Heavy Rain? Those games are highly recommended on PS3. If you really want a greater range of games to play, I suggest moving into PC gaming. Oh, and XCOM EU is also available on PS3, I think; I've been playing it, it's quite fun.

Ah, Near Dark.

So very very good.

Did you notice how many people from ND showed up in Aliens and then onto the Abyss? Gale Anne Hurd made Near Dark and when Cameron made Aliens, he used most of the ND cast - Paxton, Goldstein, ( a fantastically under-rated and under used actress) and of course one of my favourites, Lance Henriksen. Who, along with Paxton, was in Terminator.

I hate's it when they ain't shaved...

You do realize the insertion of Near Dark was intentional, because of the Michiel Biehn connection to Hendrickson, Pacton and Goldstien...

And Goldstien was in T-2... she was John Connors foster mom...

Course. We just saw T2 again - important to indoctrinate my kids. But she's the only on of that crew in it, sniff. For awhile there, if you saw one, you might well see another. It was like a Cameron Easter Egg.

You know what amuses me about Tomb Raider. I was replaying the classic PS1 version just yesterday. You know what the first thing that stuck out at me was. Enemies don't de-spawn when they die, at all. How the hell does a PS1 game do what is now a selling point for Halo. I swear CDPR are the only company next to Nintendo keeping me SANE by focusing on the fun.

Top Bottom