The director of the Witcher 3 and CP2077 has left CD Projekt Red

+
Funny definition of a flop, either way people come and go over the years we don't know the real reason behind this and no matter how you want to paint it things move on, they always have and they always will whether one agrees with it or not.

I do understand the frustration (part of me is frustrated as well) but by this time I believe one should have made up their minds about all of this and either stuck with it in good faith or moved on by now.

But that would have been sensible...
Excuse me, what?

If cyberpunk isn't the biggest gaming industry flop of the past years, please enlighten me and tell me what is.

Having two of the most important directors leave within shortest time after a release flop is "people come and go"? This is a very thin border between very optimistic and simply naive. As you said; we can't know for sure what caused that. But people who invested years of their lifetimes don't just leave a multi billion company because it was too cool, they had so much fun and couldn't take the positivity anymore.
Even if their leaving is a step in a good direction, this means the previous steps were in the wrong one. At some point logic defeats optimism.

But that would have been sensible

Excuse me, what?

If cyberpunk isn't the biggest gaming industry flop of the past years, please enlighten me and tell me what is.

Having two of the most important directors leave within shortest time after a release flop is "people come and go"? This is a very thin border between very optimistic and simply naive. As you said; we can't know for sure what caused that. But people who invested years of their lifetimes don't just leave a multi billion company because it was too cool, they had so much fun and couldn't take the positivity anymore.
Even if their leaving is a step in a good direction, this means the previous steps were in the wrong one. At some point logic defeats optimism.

amen.

msxyz

Forum regular
Excuse me, what?

I would call it a 'Pyrrhic Victory'. For the amount of money poured (and risks taken), 13M copies sold doesn't seem a great ROI, even if the top management spent the last investors' call patting each other's shoulders and telling themselves how good they've been. Then, there's the issue of how much goodwill and reputation CDPR burned through, with everything that happened.

For now, I think it's prudent to say that Cyberpunk seems to be the turning point for CDPR and not in a good way...

Excuse me, what?

And why not leave a company where you don't feel good for various reasons. Only people working there know what really happened, but being investigated is not good, even when proved innocent. Sometimes leaving is the best option. Also with a huge experience is not that hard to find another satisfying job.

Excuse me, what?

Exactly what I said previously, as for the latter, wouldn't know since I don't really follow stuff that doesn't interest me, but something's telling me that 13M copies sold in 2020 (more since then) is the opposite of the ''biggest industry flop''.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/cyberpunk-2077-among-best-selling-games-2020

So using hyperbole to prove your unsubstantiated claim is unnecessary, and flop does not mean whatever you want it to mean even if your name is ''Jason''.

Having two of the most important directors leave within shortest time after a release flop is "people come and go"?

Yes it's exactly that, two people out of hundreds or even thousands leaving means jack squat, regardless of their positions you can't prove it otherwise just like I can't prove this statement either.

Hence why we're both speculating I'm just being positive about it and not throwing the baby out with the bath water.

his is a very thin border between very optimistic and simply naive. As you said; we can't know for sure what caused that. But people who invested years of their lifetimes don't just leave a multi billion company because it was too cool, they had so much fun and couldn't take the positivity anymore.

Unsubstantiated claims, period.

It would have but the boat sailed after the first paragraph...

Exactly what I said previously, as for the latter, wouldn't know since I don't really follow stuff that doesn't interest me, but something's telling me that 13M copies sold in 2020 (more since then) is the opposite of the ''biggest industry flop''.
13M sold copies before the world got to know how bad it is, not even a million since then. Several Investor lawsuit threats. CEO of the company issuing an official apology video, acknowledging what you don't. A 180 degree total company strategy rework based on the fiasco. Under 20fps on consoles, banned from playstation store. Polish government getting involved into a potential customer scam investigation. Company's stock value dropping by some like 70%. From gaming communitys beloved dev company to being compared to EA.
Half a year after release the skill tree doesn't work. Several people still have progress blocking bugs over a thousand bug fixes later.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/cyberpunk-2077-among-best-selling-games-2020

So using hyperbole to prove your unsubstantiated claim is unnecessary, and flop does not mean whatever you want it to mean even if your name is ''Jason''.
A flop is strictly defined and I've delivered plenty of substance to further prove my point. Your turn.
Yes it's exactly that, two people out of hundreds or even thousands leaving means jack squat, regardless of their positions you can't prove it otherwise just like I can't prove this statement either.

Hence why we're both speculating I'm just being positive about it and not throwing the baby out with the bath water.
As previously stated, it's a very thin line between being positive and being naive. Unless you back your positivity up with some solid arguments, i will have to tend to the latter.
Unsubstantiated claims, period.
Lack of arguments. Period.
It would have but the boat sailed after the first paragraph...
No need to be personal here, especially if you don't have anything to back it up. It's just a discussion and people have opinions. And some can prove them.

13M sold copies before the world got to know how bad it is, not even a million since then. Several Investor lawsuit threats. CEO of the company issuing an official apology video, acknowledging what you don't. A 180 degree total company strategy rework based on the fiasco. Under 20fps on consoles, banned from playstation store. Polish government getting involved into a potential customer scam investigation. Company's stock value dropping by some like 70%. From gaming communitys beloved dev company to being compared to EA.
Half a year after release the skill tree doesn't work. Several people still have progress blocking bugs over a thousand bug fixes later.

A flop is strictly defined and I've delivered plenty of substance to further prove my point. Your turn.

As previously stated, it's a very thin line between being positive and being naive. Unless you back your positivity up with some solid arguments, i will have to tend to the latter.

Lack of arguments. Period.

No need to be personal here, especially if you don't have anything to back it up. It's just a discussion and people have opinions. And some can prove them.
The post and the linked articles are about the Witcher 3 director leaving the company BECAUSE of the investigation. Nothing else. Even Jason Schreier doesn't go deeper than this.

Guest 3847602

13M sold copies before the world got to know how bad it is, not even a million since then.
8 million pre-orders, 13.7 million copies sold in 2020 alone despite absence from PS store during Christmas period.
Several Investor lawsuit threats.
Several law firms have offered their services to interestied parties. 6 months have passed and nothing has happened.
CEO of the company issuing an official apology video
Apology was mostly about performance on last-gen consoles. He said they are proud of PC version.
A 180 degree total company strategy rework based on the fiasco.
What 180? Standalone multiplayer and what else? Postponing free DLCs and expansions? Opening new studio in Vancouver?
Under 20fps on consoles, banned from playstation store.
Game was removed form PS store because CDPR offered refunds without consulting Sony first. Speaking of refunds, their total amount is estimated to be between 180.000 and 215.000. So much for "reddit refund uprising". :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
8 million pre-orders, 13.7 million copies sold in 2020 alone despite absence from PS store during Christmas period.

Several law firms have offered their services to interesting parties. 6 months have passed and nothing has happened.

Apology was mostly about performance on last-gen consoles. He said they are proud of PC version.

What 180? Standalone multiplayer and what else? Postponing free DLCs and expansions? Opening new studio in Vancouver?

Game was removed form PS store because CDPR offered refunds without consulting Sony first. Speaking of refunds, their total amount is estimated to be between 180.000 and 215.000. So much for "reddit refund uprising". :LOL:

To summarize, an apology for the apology :) Nicely done !

8kk preorders and 13kk copies sold is the badest argument anyone can come up with to decline the current situation - most of them were sold on wrong expectations and the last Info thread that just 23.5% of the playerbase reached max SC speaks for itself. This high volume numbers tell nothing but how many player were cheated... they are worthless in any discussion about CP77 beeing a successful game.

it’s naiv to play this card.

Last edited:
Moderator: One disrespectful, off-topic post deleted. Please, focus on the topic, rather than a general discussion of the game -- and, of course, keep it respectful.

Lots of off-topic and also personal skirmish posts deleted. This is NOT a thread about how you think the game sucks or was a flop, this is a thread about a specific topic clearly outlined in the title. Please stay on topic if you plan to post here, and also avoid personal skirmishes and general disrespect.

I Understand that some might consider certain information to be gossip, while others will value that same information as a "Hot Scoop".
But I'm often reminded of a large sign we had up in the offices at work that said:
"Small minds discuss people.
Average minds discuss events.
Great minds discuss ideas."
This is by far the best (for lack of a better word) comment I've seen in these forums in months. Thanks, that made my day. Have a good one!

I wonder what makes yet another important director leave shortly after cyberpunks release..

Edit: interestingly Cyberpunk apparently has a new game director too. Dude is mainly known for directing DLC development

Let's see how these departures will affect future projects of CDPR.
Post automatically merged:

Edit: interestingly Cyberpunk apparently has a new game director too. Dude is mainly known for directing DLC development
Who?

Top Bottom