Q1 Earnings call summary and speculation

+

Surma.

Forum regular
- Next patch (1.3) is coming in "few weeks", could be just before the E3 or potentially in end of this month.
- They are having one-third of staff currently working on new project (unannounced, probably Witcher 4, but they could surprise us with anything)
- Sony will be monitoring the situation with game and there's a process of which metrics CDPR need to fill in order to relist in store and they are in "middle" of getting there (*speculation* based on how PS4 base gameplay in 1.22 performs it could be quite well expected to be smooth enough in between 1.3, 1.31, 1.32 that'll likely be within the summer holiday season)
- *speculation* the next gen re-release will likely hit winter holiday 2021 just because the timing would make a lot of sense having most sales in holiday season
- *speculation* the sales of Cyberpunk 2077 in Q1 2021 reflect on the sales of Witcher 3 Q1 of 2016 and with the re-release, I'd say estimate of 2021 total sale could be in range of 50% of initial sale, could be higher if the next gen upgrade would surprise us

1622538200359.png

Sooo somewhere from 13.7 million 2020 sales to ~7 million sales 2021 making it total 20 million sales in end of 2021.

Looking at Witcher 3 initial sales being 8 million, and Cyberpunk being 13.7 million, Witcher 3 selling 30 million in end of 2020 after 5 years, I'd say Cyberpunk 2077 will likely sell ~50 million copies in end of 2025.

Taking into account this game is direct competitor to GTA 5, it selling 30 million it's initial year, and having sold 20 million units in 2020, 7 years later. Cyberpunk selling roughly half of what GTA 5 sold, could indicate the game making 10 million unit sales 5-7 years later if they could keep up pushing more content and making a polished online experience. Of course with game going in sale and having all sorts of "definitive editions" I'd say they'll likely keep making 25% of cost of initial product (GTA 5 selling nowadays 15€ for example), likely earnings from Cyberpunk will be in range of 50-100 million euros yearly as sales may increase while product is being sold in sales.

So it's not question if the game is going to continue being profitable, but whether how much effort CDPR is willing to put into the game, how much will they put focus on multiplayer, perhaps releasing it along with next gen version, which would fit well with the end of the year.

I think a lot of stock holders interest will rely of what will they show in E3, how much will they be able to show progress being made, what will they do with the story and so on.

1622540144534.png

According to SimplyWall.St the stock price is 63% undervalued, though the reason is mostly because of their future being very much in the dark, especially with the negative reception game has gotten from both review score bombing and how many felt disappointed on features game had on launch.

Considering the need to shine some positive light for the future of the company, and how there has been talks in past CDPR calls about "starting to turn things around", 60% of staff working on new content, it could be pretty reasonable expectations of seeing some sort of teaser for E3 along with some new gameplay footage of next patch which will likely follow up with 1.2 in "taking steps in right direction" with things like police.

And considering that police driving has been around since launch with help of Mods (though a lot of issues) I'd expect this being brought to live in 1.3 with the patches 1.21 and 1.22 vastly increasing police response in both ability to chase longer and not spawning in unreachable positions, I'd expect some form of vehicle driving to be implemented. If you've been looking at the modding scheme, you'd come to expect things like motorcycles in traffic and police spawning in cars.

According to sources, CDPR has spent over ~100 million euro on Cyberpunk 2077's development when game launched and them no longer going to be spending marketing campaign similar to 2020, I'd say future costs are going to be in the 50 million range for development, along with 100 million for marketing next gen and expansions, and considering Witcher 3 development cost was in the range of 34 million it's likely enough to bring all sorts of new improvements and cool new expansions.

Still with all the disappointment in sales, I think something positive is looming in horizon, with the coming anime for 2022 and multiplayer development, hopefully boosting sales next year, similarly how Witcher 3 gained boost in sales with the Witcher series release.

Tell me what you think, did I get anything wrong you'd want me to correct?

Last edited:
Congratulations on your post, it must have been work... In my opinion patch 1.3 won't add or improve anything in the game (fix npcs, police...) it should fix bugs, like in 1.2, and it will continue outside the PSN, I really hope that they put the option of the consoles disabled SSR, because this effect makes the image very grainy and the performance drops a lot, even on PCs

- Next patch (1.3) is coming in "few weeks", could be just before the E3 or potentially in end of this month.
- They are having one-third of staff currently working on new project (unannounced), throughout the year more people will slowly move from patching the game to new game
- Sony will be monitoring the situation with game and there's a process of which metrics CDPR need to fill in order to relist in store and they are in "middle" of getting there
(*speculation* based on what I've seen in PS4 base gameplay in 1.22 I'd say 1.3 could bring it there)
- *speculation* the next gen re-release will likely hit winter holiday 2021
- *speculation* the sales of Cyberpunk 2077 in Q1 2021 reflect on the sales of Witcher 3 Q1 of 2016 and with the re-release, I'd say estimate of 2021 total sale could be in range of 50% of initial sale, could be higher if the next gen upgrade would surprise us

View attachment 11221619
Sooo somewhere from 13.7 million 2020 sales to ~7 million sales 2021 making it total 20 million sales in end of 2021.

Looking at Witcher 3 initial sales being 8 million, and Cyberpunk being 13.7 million, Witcher 3 selling 30 million in end of 2020 after 5 years, I'd say Cyberpunk 2077 will likely sell ~50 million copies in end of 2025.

Taking into account this game is direct competitor to GTA 5, it selling 30 million it's initial year, and having sold 20 million units in 2020, 7 years later. Cyberpunk selling roughly half of what GTA 5 sold, could indicate the game making 10 million unit sales 5-7 years later if they could keep up pushing more content and making a polished online experience. Of course with game going in sale and having all sorts of "definitive editions" I'd say they'll likely keep making 25% of cost of initial product (GTA 5 selling nowadays 15€ for example), likely earnings from Cyberpunk will be in range of 50-100 million euros yearly as sales may increase while product is being sold in sales.

So it's not question if the game is going to continue being profitable, but whether how much effort CDPR is willing to put into the game, how much will they put focus on multiplayer, perhaps releasing it along with next gen version, which would fit well with the end of the year.

I think a lot of stock holders interest will rely of what will they show in E3, how much will they be able to show progress being made, what will they do with the story and so on.

View attachment 11221622
According to SimplyWall.St the stock price is 63% undervalued, though the reason is mostly because of their future being very much in the dark, especially with the negative reception game has gotten from both review score bombing and how many felt disappointed on features game had on launch.

Considering the need to shine some positive light for the future of the company, and how there has been talks in past CDPR calls about "starting to turn things around", 60% of staff working on new content, it could be pretty reasonable expectations of seeing some sort of teaser for E3 along with some new gameplay footage of next patch which will likely follow up with 1.2 in "taking steps in right direction" with things like police.

And considering that police driving has been around since launch with help of Mods (though a lot of issues) I'd expect this being brought to live in 1.3 with the patches 1.21 and 1.22 vastly increasing police response in both ability to chase longer and not spawning in unreachable positions, I'd expect some form of vehicle driving to be implemented. If you've been looking at the modding scheme, you'd come to expect things like motorcycles in traffic and police spawning in cars.

According to sources, CDPR has spent over ~100 million euro on Cyberpunk 2077's development when game launched and them no longer going to be spending marketing campaign similar to 2020, I'd say future costs are going to be in the 50 million range for development, along with 100 million for marketing next gen and expansions, and considering Witcher 3 development cost was in the range of 34 million it's likely enough to bring all sorts of new improvements and cool new expansions.

Still with all the disappointment in sales, I think something positive is looming in horizon, with the coming anime for 2022 and multiplayer development, hopefully boosting sales next year, similarly how Witcher 3 gained boost in sales with the Witcher series release.

I wouldn't look at gta V numbers. 2077 is not a direct competitor. GtaV is a game as a service, and multiplayer online. 2077 is single player, not a service. one is action sandbox, and the other is narrative rpg.

I wouldn't look at gta V numbers. 2077 is not a direct competitor. GtaV is a game as a service, and multiplayer online. 2077 is single player, not a service. one is action sandbox, and the other is narrative rpg.
The same is true of Fallout 76, but that has been used multiple times in unfavourable comparisons to CP2077. Personally, without all of the data and context, I take such things with a pinch of salt. At this point, I would like to know what parts of this game are going to receive attention, what parts CDPR considers done and what is likely not to be sorted. I didn't get a refund as CDPR asked customers to give them a chance to make things right. So far, there have been a few patches, many, many more needed and silence from CDPR, except for the attempts to still market the game. It's not good.

msxyz

Forum regular
Funny that you mention, but GTAV is possibly more RPG than CP2077 will ever be. CP2077 is some kind of open world looter shooter with a story stitched to it. Definition asides, numbers do tell us something: people moved on and I wouldn't count on any spectacular comeback. Even those who are curious to try CP2077 in the future will likely wait for a sale or when it hits the bargain bin, considering the bad reputation that it has gained.

Well one thing you should take into account is the fact that the next Gen patch don't get out at the same time as a big exclusive from Sony (I don't think Xbox will have any big exclusive before Q2 2022). if this is the case and because of the release problems it will pass under the radar for a lot of people IMO. In the other hand, the lack of new games until next year, for consoles, could be a very good time for a next gen patch

Aren't you the one who was almost certain that CDPR will include car chases in 1.21 patch (because "it's easy to implement")?

So... I think you are wrong. There will be no car chases or better AI in the next patch. CDPR will not redesign the core elements of the engine in the next patch. You can save this post for later and read it again after 1.3. ;)

BTW, I think you should watch some of Paweł Sasko's streams on Twitch in order to find out how much work (and game redesign) would be required to achieve what seems so obvious to you. The game is released. Do not expect some serious (basic) changes in the engine or gameplay in the next patches. As for DLCs... It's possible. But I would not count on it.

If the game is to get anywhere near the original vision, they need to give up the previous-gen versions. Though, obviously, they should fix them and make the base game run acceptably on those platforms - but that's it.

It's pretty clear that they can't expand the game in any significant way without running these old consoles (even more) into the ground. Not that it would necessarily be impossible to achieve - they'd just have to rewrite a lot of stuff and develop an engine targeting older hardware, instead of whatever it is they have now. That's just not in the cards.

The biggest opportunity to go the route of beyond-old-gen will be the Next Gen version supposedly coming sometime before 2022. This will give them an excuse to add the much needed core immersion features without being obligated to provide them for the past-gen systems as well.

So, things like functional NPC AI, rudimentary driving AI, an actual police system, an actual attempt at game balance - and so forth - COULD come with or after the Next Gen version of the game.

Do I expect that? No. Seedy PR have done a masterful job when it comes to teaching me to expect absolutely nothing from them.

But it's not impossible - and the most rational way forward for them would be to make Cyberpunk into something resembling the ridiculously hyped up fantasy version they successfully duped everyone into believing the release version was.

Will they ever recover from the CP2077 launch? Well, they might recover in the sense that they can stay afloat and even stay very financially successful - but I very much doubt they'll ever become anywhere near the critical/public darlings they once were.

While sort of sad, I can't say they didn't do everything possible to ruin it for themselves. This is like walking in front of a bus and then trying to stand up afterwards. It's going to take a lot of work - and you can't expect other people to do it for you.

Aren't you the one who was almost certain that CDPR will include car chases in 1.21 patch (because "it's easy to implement")?
Yeah, you caught me.

But there was multiple upgrades to the police system. And they said the steps in 1.2 were in right direction.

And I don't think you necessarily need to rework ENTIRE ENGINE when single modders are able to implement these features.

Especially when modders aren't even able to access the core code.

If they still aren't fixed police before next gen update, I'd be royally pissed.
Post automatically merged:

It's pretty clear that they can't expand the game in any significant way without running these old consoles (even more) into the ground.
I don't think it's necessarily true at all.

Didn't Witcher 3 expansions get released in pretty flawless shape in consoles, even though initial game suffered from bugs and glitches?

Can we please get back on topic, which is the Q1 earnings call? It's not a general "what should be included in next patches" thread.

I don't think it's necessarily true at all.

Didn't Witcher 3 expansions get released in pretty flawless shape in consoles, even though initial game suffered from bugs and glitches?

Expansions as in story content, sure. But in terms of significant new engine features, not so sure.

[...]

- They are having one-third of staff currently working on new project (unannounced), throughout the year more people will slowly move from patching the game to new game
- Sony will be monitoring the situation with game and there's a process of which metrics CDPR need to fill in order to relist in store and they are in "middle" of getting there
(*speculation* based on what I've seen in PS4 base gameplay in 1.22 I'd say 1.3 could bring it there)
- *speculation* the next gen re-release will likely hit winter holiday 2021

View attachment 11221619

View attachment 11221622

Great analysis on your part. Playing Call of duty Warzone I had hoped CDPR would adopt their methods of microtransactions in the future, combined with multiplayer or AI supported teams focused on single player. This would greatly increase support from share holders. Fans and myself would fully support this because CDPR works so hard and it's unbelievable at what they have achieved.
  • If CDPR really wants to increase their revenue higher then any other business and stand out for years to come then combine COD Modern Warfare microtransaction with the game structure of PAYDAY 2. If CDPR doesn't research this I fear Cyberpunk 2077 won't last and it's such a great achievement.
micro.PNG

Last edited:
I also read an article with a graphic about the crash reduction percentage with each update on various systems but although it showed great reduction peaks (in the graphic) it didn't show numbers or specified how big that margin really is. I think it should be clearer because, for what i know, it could mean only 1 percent reduction.

On XBSX (lot of playing time, so pretty good estimation)
-Before 1.2 random crashs every 2-3 hours.
-Since 1.2+, no crash at all.
2 month without any crash, It seem to me a great reduction and a significant improvement :)

Multiplayer? Ohh, God, no no no!!

I hope they've learned from other publishers/developers ('cough* EA *cough* and BioWare). We all know how that went!!

From the list, it seems CD Projekt Red will focus on stability/bugfixes, so they can implement future DLC's without issues. I don't think they'll revamp the system too much, unless they overhaul the general AI-system (police, pedestrians, cars/motorcycles etc.).

When it comes to PS5 and Sony, there's currently a shortage of integrated circuits, even car-manufacturers are struggling with this and is number 1 reason why there are so few PS5's on the market (excepting the scalper-scums, of course).

And I doubt PC's are going to fare better than cars, consoles, televisions etc.

On XBSX (lot of playing time, so pretty good estimation)
-Before 1.2 random crashs every 2-3 hours.
-Since 1.2+, no crash at all.
2 month without any crash, It seem to me a great reduction and a significant improvement :)
Oh, of course. I haven't had any crash, never. Not even with the launch version, but you know, we're not even a small fraction of 1% of the totality of players.

I also read an article with a graphic about the crash reduction percentage with each update on various systems but although it showed great reduction peaks (in the graphic) it didn't show numbers or specified how big that margin really is. I think it should be clearer because, for what i know, it could mean only 1 percent reduction.
I never fully understood the problem with crashes... then again I'm playing on PC.

1622579692382.png

Been playing casually since first time playthrough, mostly playing League of Legends on my free time, never experienced a hard crash until once in 1.22 actually. Maybe something to do with the arm cannon cybernetic since it crashed the second I used it...

Of course fixing crashes is important, but sales come like 83% from PC, and it's a shooter. I'm not sure about games like Call of Duty but I guess any sort of shooter is going to have vast majority of sales on PC.

I'd be more interested on seeing future content, I've been very patient :)

Top Bottom