This is a gonk

+
1623175989279.png

In Star Wars, this is called a GNK power droid. It is literally a walking battery. It does nothing else. And for some weird reason it is programmed to feel pain, because in Return of the Jedi you see one of Jabba the Hutt's henchman hang it upside down and burn its feet and the droid feels pain from it.

Maybe that's why in Cyberpunk an idiot is called a gonk...

Gonk :
A person who is very intoxicated (drunk) and acts in a foolish way, losing control of ones faculties and behaviour. A term used by doormen in Waterford, Ireland
"Gonk of the night"
"Look at the state of that Gonk"
"This Gonk isn't going in"

Gonk :
A person who is stupid. A general insult.
"Oh, you gonk !"

Gonk :
Star Wars trash can droid.

Some others, but I prefer not write that here !

And all this dates, from before 2010. I think, it could be the second option :)

In French version, "Gonk" is replaced by "Paumard".
"un paumé" : A person who is or feels completely lost, who is unsuited to reality, to society.
"un paumard" : It's a bit the same but worse... A general insult.

Last edited:
I'm from the UK and gonk was always this weird, furry toys with googly eyes. I'm fairly sure that some people also call the Troll Dolls (the Danish ones with the hair) Gonk Trolls too. It was always a playground insult when I was a kid.

vintage-fluffy-hairy-retro-gonk-toy_360_fd16799817cde7e5233715a962009491.jpg

I'm from the UK and gonk was always this weird, furry toys with googly eyes. I'm fairly sure that some people also call the Troll Dolls (the Danish ones with the hair) Gonk Trolls too. It was always a playground insult when I was a kid.

View attachment 11223545
My Gran had one of these which I think was my aunt's from the 60s I seem to remember it had googly eyes and weirded me out as nipper.

And now for a surrealist twist:
View attachment 11223635

(Points to those who recognise the reference.)

Ah, we have an estimator of Magritte's artworks, I see :)

In reference to the pain comment, above, I would like to point out that pain is part of the learning process on avoiding dangers. Toddlers fall when they learnt to walk, they bumps everywhere because they're still learning to coordinate their actions. If the body had mere touch sensors, the brain wouldn't distinguish between a normal interaction with the environment and a... painful, potentially dangerous one. Some AI experts believe that there won't be a true AI till it will be able to provide to the machine the whole scale of human sensory experience, including pain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom