+
I am going to sound like a Bethesda fan boy and I was for a decade. Theses days I have been extremely mad and disappointed, but I will not go into that now. What I wanted to do was offer one possible explanation for why Oblivion and Fallout4 and Skyrim get away with the bugs and still have block buster games that are still played to this day almost 10 to 20 years latter.

We like to point to modding and I agree that is a near majority of the reason. But there is also a FLAVOR that Bethesda games have that other games do not.

Because there is an ingredient that Bethesda has that almost no other company has to work with.

Bethesda was able to pay and get access to the source of the game engine they use over a decade ago. They can then make changes to how the engine works, gain access to the low-level guts of the rendering pipeline, add support for some obscure platform not currently supported by the engine.

They were able to to pay a one-time fee and get open-ended access to the source, free to do whatever they want with it. They can grow it into a new engine over time and use it on multiple games without needing to offer more money or ask for permission.

No other game engine that I know of (even the newest ones) are designed to handle thousands of individual objects x y z data and and their state information in every cell of the game. Even if you set off dozens of bombs and throw around all the objects in dozens of cells, the game tracks ALL this data (and can record it to your save file ). And it stores all information for the 7 GAME days for outdoors, and 20 GAME days for Cleared indoor areas to reset.

Players expect that if they slay the Undeadking, loot his tomb, and pose the king’s twice-dead body with his face pressed against the seat of his throne, they should be able to come back days later and find the tomb exactly as they left it. If they toss 500 cheese wheels on the ground in the town of Whiterun, then those cheese wheels better still be there the next time they visit.

The game needs to be able to handle large-scale AI behaviors that have agents roaming all over the world and going through a daily routine, even when their part of the world isn’t loaded.

I made a Skyrim test mod once to tell me in REAL time what the actions and "thoughts" were of my companion while she was out of my cell and away in other cells. I was astonished, utterly dumbfounded to see the reports of her blocking, striking, shifting around the target in combat and searching for more targets and then move on walking and passing thru doors in real time to the destination I sent her ALL IN UNLOADED CELLS! o_O

EDIT: Technically they were not unloaded cells, they were loaded in a different way around the player. They are out of the players game play, not being rendered and such, but in the games processing still.

And then YES the game needs to be very open to modding so that end users can make sweeping changes to the gameplay, art, sounds, music, animations, and interface, using self-contained package files. These aren’t impossible-to-solve problems, but they do run against how a lot of modern game engines are designed. All that STUFF you can pick up also gives modders what almost feels like an infinite amount to work with. I made a mod once for skyrim where you could pick up items and THROW them at opponents as an attack! The code to damage victims when the item hit them at a velocity was already inherently built into the items as part of their physics. Bethesda just never thought to implement throwing things as attacks themselves...

No other company has been able to make a game that feels just like Fallout4 or Oblivion (without using Bethesda's tweaked Engine). If some other company could Bethesda would be in BIG trouble!

Every single item (other than the rugs and hanging candles) in this Skyrim room can be interacted with in some way ( all books can be grabbed off the shelves, walked over to the chair sit down, read the book then throw it on the floor, bed can be sleep in, cabinet drawers can pull out and hold stuff, goblets can be picked up and taken, plant in the pot can be picked, weapons can be taken off the wall, even some of the candles can be moved!):

View attachment 11210383

And that is true for almost EVERY room in skyrim. That provides an unbelievable amount of immersion and FLAVOR! The opportunities for environmental story telling are almost limitless. And NPC can come in the room and move things to other rooms, use the items or even grab a weapon OFF THE WALL and use it impromptu (with out the DEV planning for that to happen) if you attack them. This all enhances the way the games feels.

You can only interact with ONE item in this God of War room:

View attachment 11210392

Care to guess how many items you can pick up or even interact with in this typical Cyberpunk room?:

View attachment 11210398

THAT SAID, Cyberpunk has a je ne sais quoi that only a few other games have. Once (if) CDPR starts putting out REAL official moding tools the game will make up for it in world wide crowd sourcing content and become legendary. Mod makers may even find ways to add more interaction to the rooms.

I caught the bug to go back and play Fallout 4 again after reading this thread. The grass is definitely greener on the other side of the fence. While it's nice to have an open world that's simulating independent of the player ultimately the core gameplay with Cyberpunk 2077 is MUCH better.

I was playing Fallout 4 with this mod that greatly improves the combat AI and I realized just how bad the vanilla combat is in Fallout 4. Even with the mod Cyberpunk 2077s combat is MUCH better than Fallout 4's. Doing the railroad storyline I realize just how dull the storyline gets at parts. The middle part grind can be pretty bad.

So you do have to give them a lot of credit for what they did right. Sandbox and world simulation was never their strong suit, but the things that you do most of the time (combat and story) are much better.

Keep in mind that modded Fallout 4 is extremely unstable for most people. Only after installing the Vulcan wrapper (that increases the draw call limit) did my modded Fallout 4 stop crashing on me. There are still a lot of popular mods that corrupt saves and cause CTDs for like the majority of players.

They both suck as RPGS. In order to get an RPG experience these days, you need to play some of Biowares old games like the mass effect trilogy or Dragon Age origins, 2, or even inqusiton. Or start playing Larians Divinity games or their Baldurs Gate 3. inxiles Wasteland games are also pretty good RPGS.

I found that Divinity Original Sins 2 is suprisingly unaccessible for most people. It has huge difficulty spikes.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that modded Fallout 4 is extremely unstable for most people. Only after installing the Vulcan wrapper (that increases the draw call limit) did my modded Fallout 4 stop crashing on me. There are still a lot of popular mods that corrupt saves and cause CTDs for like the majority of players.

I am sure happy that is not my experience. I have been playing a heavily modded Fallout 4 now for over decade what feels like a decade (and still play it once a month) with out said issues. However my post was about WHY Bethesda goes on strong with their "old Engine" despite their reputation for bugs.

If CDPR or any DEV could copy the unique ability of that engine and also allow complete and easy access to moding the hard code Bethesda would be forced to change their ways.

Last edited:
I have been playing a heavily modded Fallout 4 now for over a decade
Yep, you have got an extrem early access ? A decade, it's like 4 years before the release :(
I'm joking !
But also me who are on XBox, I can't play Fallout 4 without mods now (and I never had a single crash, surprisingly)
I found that Divinity Original Sins 2 is suprisingly unaccessible for most people. It has huge difficulty spikes.
I always play in tactician and the first time, I thought I would never be able to finish it :)

@OP IMO they are 2 completely different types of games. Bethesda makes great sandbox RPGs, you could easily spent 100 hours just decorating the Red Rocket and the story is just a filler. I must have spent 1000 hours on FO4 and never even completed the main story. Making worlds that people can interact with is their specialty and that is the focus of their games. CP2077 on the other hand is a very narrative driven RPG set in an open world environment. The focus more on the story (which is leagues ahead of what Bethesda has ever down.) and less on the world. Both good games in their own right.

Yep, you have got an extrem early access ? A decade, it's like 4 years before the release :(
I'm joking !
But also me who are on XBox, I can't play Fallout 4 without mods now (and I never had a single crash, surprisingly)

LOL you are right, it just feels like a decade. I guess I was thinking all my Bethesda games that run on that same engine.
Some people complain about crashing do to mods but the bottom line is if Fallout 4 and Oblivion were really that bad using mods "crashing for most people" then mods would not be as popular, downloaded and used as they are.

I do not use any graphics mods, that may be were a lot of trouble comes from I guess if a Volkan wrapper makes it stop crashing. And I always limited FR to under 75 (I have a 120 monitor) something I learned many years ago to help with stability.

On the other hand I am a mod maker so maybe I am doing things that most players would not do that prevents me from seeing issues with my heavily moded Fallout 4. So I may be "out of touch" compared to "most" players.

CDPR's games, on the other hand, are STORY-DRIVEN RPGS. The focus is always on the writing and the characters

While this is true, you could argue that in CP2077 it's sullied by a large portion of the characters being really flat and forgettable. Outside of a handful of quests most of the fixer interaction is extremely weak, Regina feels phoned in, Padre's dialogue is really cringy, etc. If your "filler" content(which is the overwhelming majority of what CP2077 has to offer) is this lackluster, it puts a serious damper on the whole experience.

I caught the bug to go back and play Fallout 4 again after reading this thread. The grass is definitely greener on the other side of the fence. While it's nice to have an open world that's simulating independent of the player ultimately the core gameplay with Cyberpunk 2077 is MUCH better.

I was playing Fallout 4 with this mod that greatly improves the combat AI and I realized just how bad the vanilla combat is in Fallout 4. Even with the mod Cyberpunk 2077s combat is MUCH better than Fallout 4's. Doing the railroad storyline I realize just how dull the storyline gets at parts. The middle part grind can be pretty bad.

So you do have to give them a lot of credit for what they did right. Sandbox and world simulation was never their strong suit, but the things that you do most of the time (combat and story) are much better.

Some of the difficulty spikes, at least to me, seem imply that the developers want certain encounters to be approached in a specific way. Too much trial and error to figure that out.

The bigger problem for me with DOS2 is that the pacing is badly messed up throughout the second half of the game. It's like they spent too much time perfecting the first part, and ran out of time to do the second part cleanly.

Screw all the criticism, Bethesda is the only company that can make a proper open world RPG.
God bless Todd Howard.
More like the worst.
Story, writing in Skyrim, Fallout 3 & 4 are kind of a joke.
Not to mention the gameplay mechanics and animations always feel/look a generation behind. Their games are also a buggy mess including game-breaking bugs. None of the consequences matter because the story and characters in their games are so paper thin.

Edit: Furthermore, their worlds are as bland as it gets.

Last edited:
Hmmm if not mistaken, Fallout 4 is already the fourth series from the Fallout franchise (which is all set in a post-apocalyptic universe). :shrug:Meanwhile Cyberpunk 2077 is still a new release/franchise set in a dystopian futuristic universe

Last edited:
I had tons of fun with both. I made horribly regretful decisions and betrayed so many people. I betrayed the minute men when my raiders forced people outta their homes. Preston will never forgive me... I can't even stand being near him because he guilt trips me so hard. I betrayed the Nuka cola raiders when I went full psycho and murdered all the raiders one bloody afternoon. The rewards were amazing... I love my one shot knife I got from from the disciples, and the pack gave fun grenades that I'll never use... Seriously though... I love my one shot knife and boost to melee. I'm the psycho running around with 6 blades. Yes. I alternate between all 6.

I also betrayed the railroad. I did so much work for the railroad and ultimately aided with the institute. The scientists there have committed atrocities ,but they seem far more competent than the railroad and the Brotherhood are monsters too. We all know that civilized ghouls can be good people but the Brotherhood doesn't care about that.

Theres other betrayals along the way, but these are the big ones. My first character was a self serving power hungry monster. I helped so many people, but hurt so many others along the way.

Lowkey though... I did amazing on the far harbor dlc. I took dima's offer and life is peaceful in far harbor. I also betrayed the institute kinda... far harbor is a safe place for synths. That slight betrayal doesn't bother me because it doesn't really hurt the institute in the long run, and the synths get to continue their illusion of 'freedom'.

My character is stricken in grief and is stressed out by his poor decisions all the time but continues trying to make the best of things. "We've passed the point of no return" and all...

Last edited:
After playing games like Last of Us, Life is Strange, The Wolf Among Us, Soma, The Witcher 3 Expansions, Half life 2, Uncharted 2, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice i for example not impressed with cyberpunk 2077 story.
This. There are a hugh amount of games which did better in storytelling - can’t get the CP-Storytelling argument. Same with characters.

Story/Chars are not bad in CP but by far not outstanding.

Guest 3847602

This. There are a hugh amount of games which did better in storytelling - can’t get the CP-Storytelling argument. Same with characters.

Story/Chars are not bad in CP but by far not outstanding.
Matter of taste. For me, everything about writing in Life is Strange is vomit-inducing. Hipster characters, nonsensical story, cringey dialogue, the banal teen drama, everything... I love Half-Life 2 and Hellblade, but, imo, neither of them possess the storytelling of Cyberpunk's level.
Besides, is the only purpose of story-driven game to unanimously have the best writing ever? By that logic, nobody should be making them after Planescape: Torment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that's correct if your idea of open world RPG is to roam the wilderness and collect trash so you could build shantytowns. As far as writing is concerned, Bethesda is decades behind Cyberpunk.
Idk, cp2077 main quest was pretty pathetic. Cliche, predictable and extremely bland. I'd take Fallout 4s branching story over the linear one of cp2077 where your choices don't really matter until the point of no return

Guest 3847602

Idk, cp2077 main quest was pretty pathetic. Cliche, predictable and extremely bland. I'd take Fallout 4s branching story over the linear one of cp2077 where your choices don't really matter until the point of no return
Sure, you do you. As I said above, it's a matter of taste. "Cliche, predictable and extremely bland" perfectly describes how I feel about every Bethesda's game with the exception of Morrowind.

Idk, cp2077 main quest was pretty pathetic. Cliche, predictable and extremely bland.
I suppose is matter of tastes, because I never imagine/predict :

- Johnny was this type of guy at the start (I think, he would be a good buddy for the adventure...)
- That evelyn end up like this (zombified & in the scavs lair).
- That Voodoo Boys kill me at the end of "I walk The Line".
- That Alt couldn't save V.
- The Peralez are manipulated by unknow forces.
- many things like that...

Edit :
- that I can romance Judy and most important, that she leave Night City with me !

If I remember, the only impredictable thing in Fallout 4 is your child have 70 years... (and even...)

Edit : I forgot the most important in the spoiler...
And also matter of tastes, the underlying theme throughout the game like :
"Have we got a soul ?"
"What does it represent to be copied on an engram ? If we have a soul, we loose it or not ? Will we stay ourselves or not ?"
For me, it's pretty interesting. More than just save the world or defeat the bad guys :)

Last edited:
I suppose is matter of tastes, because I never imagine/predict :

- Johnny was this type of guy at the start (I think, he would be a good buddy for the adventure...)
- That evelyn end up like this (zombified & in the scavs lair).
- That Voodoo Boys kill me at the end of "I walk The Line".
- That Alt couldn't save V.
- The Peralez are manipulated by unknow forces.
- many things like that...

Edit :
- that I can romance Judy and most important, that she leave Night City with me !

If I remember, the only impredictable thing in Fallout 4 is your child have 70 years... (and even...)

Edit : I forgot the most important in the spoiler...
And also matter of tastes, the underlying theme throughout the game like :
"Have we got a soul ?"
"What does it represent to be copied on an engram ? If we have a soul, we loose it or not ? Will we stay ourselves or not ?"
For me, it's pretty interesting. More than just save the world or defeat the bad guys :)
Guess it all depends on your experience. It was a buddy flick type of game the second I saw that Johnny was gonna be in our heads. Followed every single buddy trope there was. Hate each other/fight in the beginning and then ended up best buds and having to make a very hard decision. The main quest was about as predictable as it gets lol

Guest 3847602

you don't have to buddy with johnny at all, that is your choice to do that. You can fight him every step of the way. It depends how you play the role.
Yup, story flows better if you like Johnny and game is more enjoyable, but you certainly don't have to be his buddy. In fact, the game is tracking your responses to him and there are variations of Johnny/Rogue ending depending on how friendly or agreeable V was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh.

I have more than 2000h in Skyrim and Fallout games, and I still play them. Not because of the story but the roleplaying experience. Today I decided to be a treasure hunter, so I install a bunch o mods which adds objects to the world. A week later I want to be a strict lore green pact bosmer, so I look for every mod to enhance my only-meat and no wood tools, cannibalizing dead foes and so on. Same in Fallout, but with firearms, I want to be a Chinese spy married to an American soldier in order to spy on him, hating my son and later hating that country because I'm stuck there because of the apocalypse? I can!

Obviously everything is possible because of:
  • Mods
  • Imagination! For me, works brilliantly!
I have about 250-300h in CP and every Witcher, and they are great games. Writing is very good. The open-world is great. The roleplaying experience is not so broad but I don't care, I enjoy other parts of the game!

I don't know. Maybe I don't have taste at all (or criteria) because I'm capable of enjoying different types of games without the need for comparison to others.

(well I only played half an hour of GTA V. I hated driving).

Top Bottom