Is this game an rpg?

+
I think the whole open-world-idea was a mistake from the beginning.
Although many think the open world is/was a mistake, honestly I'm so glad CDPR did it :
- Because I really enjoy exploring the city (more than other open world). In a world like this, being limited in "in restricted areas" would be really depressing.
- Because the screenshot's section of this forum would be really less "provided", it is very rare to have the same place twice.
Same thing for the first person view, it's what I like and it's perfect for me.
And I can forgive "the lack of choice" given the quality of the writing.
But It's just my opinion :)

2) The second meaning, more relevant to today's gaming industry, I call it RPG mechanics. It revolves around implementing a character progression system (with levels, character stats, stats on gear, etc.) and a system of combat (as well as non-combat rolls) governed by a set of mathematical rules (with damage, HP, buffs, etc.).

(...) the second meaning - this is a definite fail. I've played RPG games and genre related game for over 2 decades. Table top RPGs, collectible card games, miniature wargames, and hundreds of titles of video games of different subgenres. I've learned rpg mechanics in so many different games, and those in CP77 are some of the worst I have ever seen. Both in design and implementation. It's obvious this was thrown together last minute and untested.

Curious as to why you would think that.

The only way this would make sense in the context of the game is if there's definitive proof that the LVL 1. V is equal to a LVL 50. V with a specific build.

Fair enough, you might dislike the selection of skills, perks, outfits, weapons, mods, emergent play styles that work well in the context of the scenarios presented, along side several ways of defining the character of V through dialogue choices and actions - but to outright wave these features away and claim that it fails at being an RPG is purely fictitious in my honest opinion.

So I'd be curious to know how you would interpret the apparent lack of character progression (or a faulty one judging by the wording).

To add a bit of context to this, I've been replaying the Mass Effect series with the LE release and the similarities are daunting (minus the classic Paragon/Renegade system which is inherently flawed because it forces you to adopt one of the two types of Shepard if you want to have access to those dialogue options later on in the game).

Although many think the open world is/was a mistake, honestly I'm so glad CDPR did it :
- Because I really enjoy exploring the city (more than other open world). In a world like this, being limited in "in restricted areas" would be really depressing.
- Because the screenshot's section of this forum would be really less "provided", it is very rare to have the same place twice.
Same thing for the first person view, it's what I like and it's perfect for me.
And I can forgive "the lack of choice" given the quality of the writing.
But It's just my opinion :)
I don't know man, I just love gamebooks. I think the concept of TW2 was unique among all RPG-ish games during that time, and this is coming from a person that enjoyed TES:Morrowind and TES:Oblivion just as much as TW3. (Edit: Well, maybe not quite as much, but I did enjoy them.)

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

To add a bit of context to this, I've been replaying the Mass Effect series with the LE release and the similarities are daunting
Same here. One particular aspect is ME1 and mountain of mostly useless loot you're picking up at every turn and the fact that there is no branching narrative. Sounds familiar? :)
In spite of that, ME1 is still widely (and deservedly so) considered to be the most RPG-ish game in the series and not a "looter-shooter".

No. It's not. It wants to pretend, wants to make you belive it is, but its not.
It's an average looter-shooter.
And a worthy successor of ME:3 (though ME3 was trying way harder to pretend to be an RPG)
Skiils, expirience, dialog options - doesnt mean that the game is an RPG. Its called having "some RPG elements".

Interesting, I finished the game twice as a netrunner :)
You can beat Half Life 1 with a crowbar (most of it),
Does that make it an RPG?

"... Choose your playstile.. Choose your Freeman...
Go into a fight gunning everything, or sneak to your enemies from behind with your trusty crowbar..
Walk on foot, or ride buggy car...
Kill that zombie, or dont...
Half life - a true RPG, in wich we let the players choose..."

Last edited:
You can beat Half Life 1 with a crowbar (most of it),

"... Choose your playstile.. Choose your Freeman...
Go into a fight gunning everything, or sneak to your enemies from behind with your trusty crowbar..
Walk on foot, or ride buggy car...
Kill that zombie, or dont...
Half life - a true RPG, in wich we let the players choose..."
LOL, my point is that the game is not a looter-shooter if you can play it with a different build. A lot of people seem to enjoy how FPS is done, even I used it in 3 gameplays and I never play purely shooters games.

LOL, my point is that the game is not a looter-shooter if you can play it with a different build. A lot of people seem to enjoy how FPS is done, even I used it in 3 gameplays and I never play purely shooters games.
Ok... Well then, you can play Destiny 2, or Anthem, with just your abilities. Does that make these games NOT looter-shooter? - NO.
And mb you dont shoot ppl in your playthroughs - so?
Your playstyle doesnt change what the game is.
I see how ppl starting to forget what exactly RPG is. To the point, that in another 10 years, fckng Destiny will be called an RPG...

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Nope, what makes Cyberpunk an RPG is:
- character creator
- dialogue choices
- different builds and playstyles
- vast majority of sidequests having more than one outcome
- skillchecks during conversations and exploration
- multiple endings based on your decisions (and not of red/blue/green variety)
What doesn't make any game RPG is:
chugging beer, chewing hot dogs, decorating apartment, minigames, etc (stuff that is routinely mistaken for RPG elements), because that would exclude games like Planescape: Torment, Classic Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights and that would be very, VERY stupid thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok... Well then, you can play Destiny 2 with just your abilities. Does that makes it a NOT looter-shooter.
You loot your gear.
And mb you dont shoot ppl in your playthroughs - so?
I see how ppl starting to forget what exactly RPG is. To the point, that in another 10 years, Rainbow Six siege will be called an RPG...
And having the possibility to be a shooter in a futuristic game is bad?
I haven't played HL, but I doubt you can kill people from distance with a crowbar, but in CP you can kill them with hacks.

polishing the few mechanics that can be considered within the rpg western game would be the first step to having a basic rpg base. In terms of decisions, you can see how well the 2nd mission with Jackie was done to get the spider drone where we can progress and complete it in different ways affecting the story. Too bad the rest is not like that for X reason.

the best way to adapt the unexpected from a paper and pen rpg into a video game is to diffuse the events so that they are unique and diverse. With witcher 3 it worked and that's why we love it so much. .

I would consider the game a looter (uncomfortable) shooter and narrative/movie with a bit of everything where each seasoning is not exploited and they do not shine.

Last edited:
polishing the few mechanics that can be considered within the rpg western game would be the first step to having a basic rpg base. In terms of decisions, you can see how well the 2nd mission with Jackie was done to get the spider drone where we can progress and complete it in different ways affecting the story. Too bad the rest is not like that for X reason.

the best way to adapt the unexpected from a paper and pen rpg into a video game is to diffuse the events so that they are unique and diverse. With witcher 3 it worked and that's why we love it so much. .
It worked because there was so much space between the areas. It often felt like Roach was the only car horse in the universe. ^^

....I would say there are some missions later with almost as many variations in them, but sadly not many. Still, I can't understand how someone can consider CP77 not an RPG.
....no. actually, I can. The combat. It is too action-y. Too player skills above the character ones. But I understand it was popular demand for 'better gunplay'. so can't blame the devs for that. But the rest? Let's compare it to a beloved game of mine - vampire the masquerade:bloodlines - and I certainly consider that an RPG. What is so different (apart from the combat)?

I don't know man, I just love gamebooks. I think the concept of TW2 was unique among all RPG-ish games during that time, and this is coming from a person that enjoyed TES:Morrowind and TES:Oblivion just as much as TW3, despite all the bugs.
Same here. One particular aspect is ME1 and mountain of mostly useless loot you're picking up at every turn and the fact that there is no branching narrative. Sounds familiar? :)
In spite of that, ME1 is still widely (and deservedly so) considered to be the most RPG-ish game in the series and not a "looter-shooter".
For speak about open world, I really love spend my time in Night City... To take an example, I don't mind leaving what I'm doing to go see a lamppost that has a texture bug for example... not because I'm helpful (maybe a little), but just that I could hang around aimlessly for hours on end and have fun just like that. And that's what I would really miss in a "closed" world (if I can put it that way). To use the game cited by ooodrin, how awesome it could be, if we can walk around in an "open" citadel (in the sectors for example) and not be limited to these "tiny" corridors... (and god knows that I love ME1 / 2 / 3).

For the story (well writted for me), it's not really about the story itself (It's matter of tastes), but about the dialogue lines. You can see in "favorites quotes lines" thread, I absolutly love the dialogues... I could quotes them all day long. For me almost every dialogue in the game is excellent, it's just pure bliss to listen/read them. To take the ooodrin example again, when I recently played ME again, it pained me to say that, but the dialogues seemed really bland and out of a low-price movie. And honestly, Cyberpunk on this point is a level above anything I have had the pleasure of hearing in a game (and frankly by far).

So I don't know if we can say that it's really an RPG (which is, I think, my favorite type of game) or not, but honestly if it isn't, whatever. I love RPGs, I love Cyberpunk that's all that matters to me :)

yes it is but you have to RP for it to show itself, it wont be handed to you.

My first character was a streetkid hacker. She grew up with an affinity for computers, understood them. She had tried to get into arasaka when she was young but was overlooked for some boys. Sexism was always going to be hard lesson, she was always going to have something to prove and it hardened her. She grew resentful, resentful of arasaka for overlooking her, not giving her her chance to shine. She blamed them for everything.

With this I had some rules to guide me through the playthrough

1. We do everything we can to destroy arasaka
2. Quest lines with male leads we do as little as possible. She doesn't hate males, just not interested.
3. No interest in the nomads,.. I'm a streetkid, city life is where I am. We do the minimum with panam to advance the story and skip badlands as much as possible

The roleplay worked out really well and gave me a unique playthrough with plenty left to explore other roleplays through the game

Johnny was a real problem for her. She wasn't keen on men in general but this one seems to have the right idea, he hated arasaka as much as she did, the two of them got on.. The first male she got on with. PLayed through Judys quest line, the whole mox thing called to her and was right for her charcater as well as a judy romance. She had no worries nailing sinnerman to the cross and gave her a little chuckle at his weakness. The johnny and rogue ending seemed right, me and johnny were big pals by that time, exchanged dog tags, saw eye to eye and finally.. when she had to make the ultimate choice.. her hate for arasaka meant she yielded her body to johnny, she trusted him to destroy arasaka where she could not. He could contiue the fight... damn that was a hard decision,.. Watching the messages at the end, with judy hating me for my decision was hard for sure... but.. it was a great ending and really apt for my character

Mmmm.... It seems to adopt bad parts of RPG with perks and attributes mostly about boosting numbers (e.g. increase damage of pistols, higher chances of critical hits etc.)

Would be great if most perks and attributes are geared towards unlocking new useful abilities. Like in the Deep Dive, it showed how high Body attribute allows us to melee an enemy in mid-combat and turn him into a human shield.

Or maybe higher Intelligence attribute and perks allows V to hack more sophisticated technology. (e.g. V cannot hack enemy cyberware with low Intelligence, but can still hack Vending Machines to distract enemies).

Just think Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Leveling up is not all about the numbers.

Top Bottom