Female protagonist and what it could implies

+
Point taken, but I don't think the important question has been asked.

Why should sexism be avoided in video games?

Not necessarily avoided in my opinion, but done right. If done wrong, it just looks like clichee.

A fitting approach would be to see also male whores in the amusement districts dancing or offering their services just like women. It's common in places like Berlin or beach cities in thailand nowadays so why not. You know, clubs that have these huge BOYS BOYS BOYS signs.

Of course that would basically create areas of night city that a sizeable proportion of the player based would only ever enter once.

I always find the irony of the average heterosexual male mentality quite funny. Female prostitutes are fine, (often encouraged,) yet their male counterparts are unacceptable.

Personally, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to assume that there would be various 'shades' to red light districts.

You have been asked to stay on topic. I don't see how talking about red light districts, mentality of genders etc is related to Female protagonist and what it could imply

Of course that would basically create areas of night city that a sizeable proportion of the player based would only ever enter once.

I always find the irony of the average heterosexual male mentality quite funny. Female prostitutes are fine, (often encouraged,) yet their male counterparts are unacceptable.

Personally, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to assume that there would be various 'shades' to red light districts.

Is it just the male mentality? Is it though? People are OK with sparkly vampire movies where women unrealistically threaded as goddesses, but if it was the opposite it would be considered sexist and unrealistic.. If there are naked muscular males in a movie/tv show thats considered OK, but add one naked female and she becomes "subjected" and therefor all man are perverts.. Sexism at its best.. Everybody asks for what they are comfortable with.. People are selfish..
So, as we would be uncomfortable if they added male prostitutes, most female gamers would be OK with them.. As we would be OK with female prostitutes in the game, female gamers not only be uncomfortable with them but some would even claim sexism, subjection of women and all the other bullshit that comes with it.. Just sad.. I mean, just because in movies and tv women are thin, it is considered that it is unrealistic expectations and again subjection of women, but no word about those poor subjected muscular man they use.. :D Those are totally realistic expectations.. Totally..

@gregski, are you sure you are on the right topic? If you check the original post, you will see that the sexism is part of this discussion.. Are you asking us to stay in topic but not to discuss the topic? :D

@Gregski

The potential for sexism is present regardless of the sex of the protagonist. But as this thread brought up common disparities between male and female characters in many games, it seems to me to be the ideal place to discuss other elements of the relationships between the sexes in gaming, especially what rammifications of those elements and what can or should be considered normal and acceptable within the game world.

You have been asked to stay on topic. I don't see how talking about red light districts, mentality of genders etc is related to Female protagonist and what it could imply

A female protagonist and what it could imply > sexism > sexism in general gameplay > male whores and other gender questions.

It's not like we are talking about the different tastes of Jelly Bellys here.

Well not every thread about women needs to devolve into the sexism debate, but to quell any fears, CDPR are adept at depicting sexism without being sexist. Witcher games are full of such inequalities.

Well not every thread about women needs to devolve into the sexism debate, but to quell any fears, CDPR are adept at depicting sexism without being sexist. Witcher games are full of such inequalities.

I wonder how, (or if,) the other side of that coin will be represented.

I'm not sure I follow you.

Sexism by women against men.

It is well documented that women have been passed up for jobs, promotions, pay rises and other things because of their gender, (more in the past than present,) but it is not unheard of for the opposite to occur, where men are passed over for the same things because of their gender.

As an example in 2077, a female operative could be dismissive of a male character based purely on her prejudice aginst the male gender.

Sexism by women against men.

It is well documented that women have been passed up for jobs, promotions, pay rises and other things because of their gender, (more in the past than present,) but it is not unheard of for the opposite to occur, where men are passed over for the same things because of their gender.

As an example in 2077, a female operative could be dismissive of a male character based purely on her prejudice aginst the male gender.

I see nothing wrong with that and it's not out of place in the CP setting. Seducing is something I'd like to have available in certain situations. Distracting a guard based on what I wear, or invoking jealousy from another female cop. :p

One of the things I like about CDPR is their often-unapologetic approach to sexuality, racism and sexism. In issues such as how Triss is treated by the community for being a powerful (female) sorceress in Witcher 1 or the tired cynicism of street prostitutes, I think CDPR managed to give the indication that these are not signs of a mature or healthy culture, without being too preachy. Present but not a job you;'d like to have.

Aside from the enjoyable-but-silly sex cards, of course.

In CP2077, a modern-era game, I look forward to seeing both sexes discriminated against, as should be. Male prostitutes, men subject to the whims of their female superiors, all that good stuff. Playing a strong male PC and having to deal with negative gender bias would be an interesting challenge.

One of the things I like about CDPR is their often-unapologetic approach to sexuality, racism and sexism. In issues such as how Triss is treated by the community for being a powerful (female) sorceress in Witcher 1 or the tired cynicism of street prostitutes, I think CDPR managed to give the indication that these are not signs of a mature or healthy culture, without being too preachy. Present but not a job you;'d like to have.

Aside from the enjoyable-but-silly sex cards, of course.

In CP2077, a modern-era game, I look forward to seeing both sexes discriminated against, as should be. Male prostitutes, men subject to the whims of their female superiors, all that good stuff. Playing a strong male PC and having to deal with negative gender bias would be an interesting challenge.

Yep. If I've got any kind of handle on CDPR's intentions with this game, it's going to be classic hard SF, as in exploring the issues of the now through the lens of the future. So I'm hoping for racist populist politicians (and anti-cyber religious zealots), rampant, uncomfortable bigotry on all fronts, and in all directions. Expect your male characters to get blasted for being card-carrying members of the evil patriarchy, and your female characters to be labelled as crazy radfeminazis for tying their own shoelaces. Oh, and both to be racially abused, regardless of skin colour. It's all uncomfortable, and that's because it forces us to confront horrible, real issues we try to avoid in meatspace. Like Chris in a dress...

It's a KILT. He claims.

Or a skirt - I get those two mixed up.

I wear a kilt regularly. I have worn dresses for shits n' giggles and as part of a fancy dress outfit. (The yellow flowery one was for when I dressed up as the "Hooch Man" from the "Hooch" adverts from back in the 90's. - I can't believe I can't find a single image or viedo from these adverts... but at least I can find an ARTICLE.) I have never worn a skirt.

Anyway, I really would not expect there to be much anti cyber prejudice in 2077. There wasn't much in 2020 and if anything there would be even more people who would have used cybernetics of some variety in society by '77. It would have affected pretty much every walk of life. I would not be suprised to find that everyone in 2077 has at least one augmentation; be it cyberware, bioware or neuralware. I would expect the Inquisitors to have carried on, maybe they would have gained influence and stature, maybe there would be some 'copycat' or 'sister' gangs. I just don't see the general populace having an issue with Cyber, (unless the occurances of Cyberpsychosis has greatly incresed at some point...)

I also see no place for racism in '77, (at least in the traditional sense.) Every major city in 2020 was already becoming a truely international melting pot of cultures. I do see a place for xenophobia though. The majority of Europe, Australia, Japan and other countries were all quite restrictive on who could enter their territories. Heck, the Free State of Texas had a complete set of laws that basiclly meant thta anyone who was not a registered citizen of Texas had no rights and could be treated the same as the 'SINless' in the rest of the US. Being bothered by the colour of someones skin would be out, being bothered by their country of origin would be in.

Sexism has a future in the game, I think. The reasons are explained fairly well already in the thread.

I am suprised no one mentioned discrimination among the classes... The gap between the social classes is pretty wide, and in 2020 the distance is even more telling. The corporate led dark future allows the wealthy and priviledged few to walk all over the desperate masses who live in squalor, (65% of the 2020 population live below the poverty line.) There are great distinctions placed on the differences between the white and blue collar workers. Let's face it, if Saburo Arasaka killed a few, (or even a few dozen,) civillians, he could just pay a few bribes and never hear about it again. If 'Stinky Dave', a homeless guy from the edg of the combat zone, managed to get into the corporate plaza he would get the crap beaten out of him by the local corporate police and he would be dumped in a cell on some trumped up chanrges. This is the main form of discrimination I forsee in 2077.

I wear a kilt regularly. I have worn dresses for shits n' giggles and as part of a fancy dress outfit. (The yellow flowery one was for when I dressed up as the "Hooch Man" from the "Hooch" adverts from back in the 90's. - I can't believe I can't find a single image or viedo from these adverts... but at least I can find an ARTICLE.) I have never worn a skirt.

I found this one, but I don't think it's from the 90s.

[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom