LOD Settings for Models and Textures

+

DC9V

Forum veteran
Object: LOD changing(texture swapping) as I got close to garbage mountain
Versions: 1.22 and 1.23
I can confirm that the landfill actually looks like garbage, regardless of the settings.
Tested on RT_Ultra and Low settings.
Other landfills in the game look better:

landfill.jpg

The trees are looking amazing :D

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
no mods
game settings: the standard Ultra, Film grain off

Adding an ini file
[Streaming]
DistanceBoost = 42.000000 didn't make a difference

(on my other PC with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 6GB just the same result)

1624188232397.png
1624188179149.png

The trees are looking amazing :D

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
no mods
game settings: the standard Ultra, Film grain off

Adding an ini file
[Streaming]
DistanceBoost = 42.000000 didn't make a difference

(on my other PC with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 6GB just the same result)

View attachment 11228246View attachment 11228243
I just tested, on XBSX, at the same spot.
Weird, it's exactly the same (to the nearest meter). If I get a little closer (one step), the closest tree is displayed in detail (in the center right of the palm tree, in front of the windows).

The more testing I do the more it seems to be an engine issue rather than any issue with settings or hardware.

To clarify this is not an issue with Lack of VRAM or Ini settings as I too am experiencing extreme LOD/Texture Pop issues running a pre-binned i9 10900k and a 3090.

I can confirm that the landfill actually looks like garbage, regardless of the settings.
Tested on RT_Ultra and Low settings.
Other landfills in the game look better:

View attachment 11228240
That does not look nice but mediocre. And that's on RTX top of the line card. Looks like Fallout New Vegas graphics.

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
That does not look nice but mediocre. And that's on RTX top of the line card. Looks like Fallout New Vegas graphics.
Here are two versions of the same screenshot.
The first one is with Low settings, the second one is with RT_Ultra/Psycho. (Basic section disabled)
I can't see a difference in the amount of objects. And as I said earlier, I can confirm that the landfill from your videos which has been made with an RX 580 4GB, does look exactly the same with my RTX 3090 (regarding objects popping-in).

What makes the second of the following screenshots look more completed, is the amount of shadows in the distance. But in other areas around Night City, RT shadows have a more noticeable pop-in-effect than standard shadows.
So it's another example of how much it depends on the area in the game.

1)landfill_LOW.jpg

2)landfill_RT_Psycho.jpg

Here are two versions of the same screenshot.
The first one is with Low settings, the second one is with RT_Ultra/Psycho. (Basic section disabled)
I can't see a difference in the amount of objects. And as I said earlier, I can confirm that the landfill from your videos which has been made with an RX 580 4GB, does look exactly the same with my RTX 3090 (regarding objects popping-in).

What makes the second of the following screenshots look more completed, is the amount of shadows in the distance. But in other areas around Night City, RT shadows have a more noticeable pop-in-effect than standard shadows.
So it's another example of how much it depends on the area in the game.

1)View attachment 11228270

2)View attachment 11228273
Off course I was right. The making fun of what I said was uncalled for. Mostly : "What's next? 1024x768 looks blurry? 30 fps doesn't feel smooth as silk?"
The noticeable pop-in and low LOD at distance is all over the map. From textures on world objects, ground, structures, NPCs, cars. Both in the outskirts and in town.
The streaming issue is from 10 December. It was never about what graphics card u own. It was always about the game.

DC9V

Forum veteran
I can make fun of whatever I want and I wasn't making fun of you. The noticeable pop-in and low LOD at distance is not all over the map. There are already a couple of examples in this thread, and your mountain is one of them. Different elements in the game have different LOD, and it also depends on the area.

Guest 3847602

Off course I was right. The making fun of what I said was uncalled for. Mostly : "What's next? 1024x768 looks blurry? 30 fps doesn't feel smooth as silk?"
That's because what you're referring to is called draw distance, LOD is the term most commonly used to describe general quality of textures, mainly how good the objects near you are looking. So yeah, sorry for the snark, but it wasn't clear to me what you meant.

I can make fun of whatever I want and I wasn't making fun of you. The noticeable pop-in and low LOD at distance is not all over the map. There are already a couple of examples in this thread, and your mountain is one of them. Different elements in the game have different LOD, and it also depends on the area.
Common sir I posted another video where u can see pop-in streaming issue with cars, NPCs in city. :facepalm:
The polygon difference is very noticeable.

Please remember to report issue here:

It doesn't matter if you think it already has been reported by others, the more who report the issue the higher the chance of it being fixed.

Also, when you do report the issue be as concise as possible, provide the dxdiag file and screenhots if possible. Furthermore, do not report things that you assume as fact unless you can prove it. E.g. many think that this issue was better on release, but we actually don't know it yet. (Unless I missed it an someone has proven it.) However, you can very well state that you assume that this got worse after the release of the game.

In my experience, each ticket gets answered and they actually do try to solve the issue, but it takes time.

I reported the issue and got a response from CDPR:

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We're aware of this issue and we're currently looking into it, thank you for reporting!

So, this might be fixed in an upcoming patch :)

Top Bottom