The lack of 3rd person view

+
This is actually the first game I've ever finished in FPP. Initially when I heard that it would be FPP only I was a bit hesitant, but decided to give it a shot. Mostly because I was curious about the game and because I've really liked cdpr's previous games. And to my surprise I dont mind the FPP, it was odd at first, but once I found out that the driving could be in TPP I didnt mind. I think for -this- game TPP makes sense, at least with regards to interacting with NPC's. Would I still love being able to watch my V, sure, but its not a deal breaker for me at all. Anyway just my 2 cents on the matter.

Guest 3847602

June 2018 is when they started marketing and sharing information about the game, so yes it is the very start in that way.
Also in the way of decision to make Cyberpunk FPP-only being made in 2016, while the game was still at pre-production stage.

Yeah, it would be perfect to have 1st person and normal, real time reflections in windows and mirrors in some of a places. But I guess that will never happen due to engine limitations.

To be fair, I still prefer 1st person and no reflections than 3rd person so I`m quite happy.

June 2018 is when they started marketing and sharing information about the game, so yes it is the very start in that way.
Is it a boy or is it a girl? Before this final announcement this baby was on its way for a while. During that period, a timespan three times that of the one past said announcement, a combination of both was (perhaps vaguely) hinted.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, it would be perfect to have 1st person and normal, real time reflections in windows and mirrors in some of a places. But I guess that will never happen due to engine limitations.
Which is pretty poor in 2020. Especially for a game hyped as this one.

Last edited:
I have a question? Why buy a first person game then get all disappointed and mad about it being first person. That's like buying a car, getting home and being mad that it's not a truck. I personally never got the infatuation with needing to see your character other than playing Barbie dress-up
Because Cyberpunk by Pondsmith has a certain pull to see if it is worth to endure FPP.

I finally picked up the game and tried it again after the 1.2 patch and it's running just fine on my PS4 Pro so that's good but I was only able to make it about 2 two hours into a new game due to the game world being so empty and boring. Character creation and third person view is something I use as a crutch to make through mediocre games and in this case without that crutch it's just not possible for me to enjoy playing it. Maybe one day I'll be able to finish the game. 🤷‍♂️

I'm ok with 1st person only. In fact, i much prefer it. 3rd person games tend to have clunky controls. Take Rockstar games (GTA, RDR), controls feel like you're walking on the bottom of the ocean, at least for me. They prioritize how the animations look and how realistic they are over playability. In CP77, controls are much more smooth and gameplay more fluid.

One thing i would like to see tough is more ways to actually look at your character in-game (other than in menus). If we exclude photo-mode and mirrors, which both happen NOT in real time, there are no actual in-game reflections on surfaces, or similar ways to take a look at your toon from time to time. Hell, every time i see an ending i'm like, "eh, didn't remember i gave my V green eyes"...
yeah lately my mind changed a bit as well at first I was upset that 3rd person was changed to 1st person during the development - but than last week I played WD2 and noticed that it isn't that much better in 3rd person actually CP77 1st person makes it interesting but im with you there should be way more options to see the char in reflections or mirrors or even more cutscenes with all the fancy gear around.... I pretty much like the tons of cuts in WD tho... oh and lord please put a lil bit more love into our shadows.... every time I see it I think its nearly trolling on purpose... we have 2021.... our shadow looks like a bad meme of 1990... q.q

This game has so much potential. The game developer is running out of time to get it right. Gamers do not have a lot of patience and will move on to new titles and this will go down as one of those games that could have been great and did it make the cut. This game required both 1st person and 3rd person view because of its action and storyline. The main storyline ending feels like they ran out of time and money, and the bugs are taking too long to fix. It was bad management of time for the developer to spend so much time on a wardrobe that you could only view an inventory. I guess that's OK if you have nothing better to do than to play dress up on the inventory screen. Other games like Black Ops that develop elaborate skins or multiplayer where other players view your likeness, this is not. Yet my guess is that they are going to crash and burn and this will never be the financial success that games like GTA5 have been. Time is running out tick tick tick.

The only way for the game developer to justify spending so much time and money on developing character visual appearance Is to add 3rd person view or a multi player mode. Or, the head of game development should be fired for wasting investor financial resource.

Last edited:
The game looks so great when driving in 3rd person.

Why not have a 3rd person view as an option for all???

Guest 3847602

The game envisioned by CDPR simply wouldn't work in 3rd person:
- entire dialogue system would have to be redesigned
- every scene Johnny is in or with V coughing blood and losing conscience would look weird
- interiors would have to be unnaturally large and wide to accommodate over-the-shoulder camera
- gunplay at distance and quickhacking requires precision that 3rd person perspective doesn't offer
- picking up objects you want or interacting with computers often times requires you to hunt the right pixel

The game envisioned by CDPR simply wouldn't work in 3rd person:
- entire dialogue system would have to be redesigned (1)
- every scene Johnny is in or with V coughing blood and losing conscience would look weird (2)
- interiors would have to be unnaturally large and wide to accommodate over-the-shoulder camera (3)
- gunplay at distance and quickhacking requires precision that 3rd person perspective doesn't offer (4)
- picking up objects you want or interacting with computers often times requires you to hunt the right pixel (5)
1) True, but not impossible. Whether if it's worth spending time and resources for it, to create said redesign, is another matter.
2) Not if it's done right. I'm looking back now at that (in)famous phrase: If anyone can .....
3) Games like Resident Evil 2 remake and 3 remake beg to differ. It's debatable.
4) Maybe, but as far as I remember the game was intended to be an rpg in the first place and not necessarily a shooter. Aim assist can make up for lack of precision in 3rd person. Now which shooting mechanic you prefer is again another matter.
3rd person quickhacking worked fine at Watch Dogs in my opinion. I can only speak for Watch Dogs Legion with this.
5) I never had too much problems with picking up objects in 3rd person. Okay, awkward moments exist, like Geralt extinguishing a candlelight instead of picking up a book that lies next to it. But hey, nothing is perfect.
Interacting with computers. Guys like Sam Fisher or our gta protagonists didn't encounter any complications, while interacting with computers, back in the day.

In worst case some sort of symbiosis can exist between both perspectives, and it has been done countless times in the past. If the encounter would indeed prove (too) difficult for one perspective, the other one would take over, be it manually or automatically.
Crawl in a tight space for example, and the game switches to 1st person.
A more direct example, driving a car in CP2077. For most players this will prove (too) difficult or annoying to do in 1st person. So the game offers you an option to manually switch to 3rd person an back. This is something that can work in both ways.

Now these are clearly arguments that differ from the way CDPR envisioned their latest game.
But "wouldn't work"? No, don't think so.

Last edited:
There's a creative choice at play here. Do you want the player to ask questions of him or herself. Or do you want the player to see V asking him or herself the questions.

The moment what the game was really about clicked for me was the meditation quests. You don't play those as V. You're being asked to think about what is being said as you, the player.

In narrative terms, it is a choice about how directly the creators want the player to feel the narrative.

There is a scene that I was horrified :
When you give control to Johnny,and he goes to party hard,fight and crash a car
I was "wtf i have done?", this effect of no control and not knowing what was going on cannot be done in 3rd person.
It was clear to me pretty quick what was going on and I wasn't very impressed, let alone horrified. It was funny though.
In the end I don't see why it cannot be done in 3rd person.

It was clear to me pretty quick what was going on and I wasn't very impressed, let alone horrified. It was funny though.
In the end I don't see why it cannot be done in 3rd person.
Probably, you would not have the feeling so "intense"...
...that he is using you like a puppet and that he frankly lied to you while being in sight in the 3rd person :)
"Hey johnny ! what are you doing gonk... Just talk to Rogue, that was the plan... Oh boy, not the the goat ! No, no, no... not the red pill... I don't want follow Alice at the bottom of the hole !!!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom