Street Tech

+

Homemade Lamborghini. Made by a Chinese farmer with a WHOLE lot of ambition (if not a lot of know-how.)

Tell me, why car isn't street tech?
Read.
The.
Origional.
Post.

Maintaining a Mad Max car would be better. That Lambo hasn't (yet) even a good engine.

But the shinier the future, the shinier salvage, too. Though you would need some high tech carage for a shiny car, but you could make it. Still, it is more like base tech than street tech. Except, if the salvage really is fancy, the car will be at least fancy.

Or a load of sheet metal and a whole lot of ingenuity:

Read my previous post.

The origional post describes what street tech is. If you can't work out the difference between stuff built in someones garage out of scrap and brand new concept vehicles produced by multi billion dollar international companies then I would sue the crap out of whatever school you went to for gross negligence.

The origional post describes what street tech is. If you can't work out the difference between stuff built in someones garage out of scrap and brand new concept vehicles produced by multi billion dollar international companies then I would sue the crap out of whatever school you went to for gross negligence.

Multibillion companies are not the only ones who create fancy sports cars. You can build one with less. And when people in Cyberpunk get richer and more established, they can get high tech garages and good cars. And they can use spare parts from other fancy cars that they get from the street!

A baja Bug is street level tech:

A rat rod is street level tech:

Hell, a potato cannon is street level tech:

But, a shiny new car from Mercedes? Not so much.

Now, by the time 2077 rolls around, the supercars of today might not look so super:

but, even using the contemporary vehicles of 2077, I wouldn't expect a car cobbled together from two (or more) different vehicles to look as shiny and sleek as the Mercedes you posted. Shiny and sleek isn't exactly "street tech."

Multibillion companies are not the only ones who create fancy sports cars. You can build one with less. And when people in Cyberpunk get richer and more established, they can get high tech garages and good cars. And they can use spare parts from other fancy cars that they get from the street!

You really don't get it.. Also, you seem to be incapable of reading.. Chris explained it to you many times over now.. You are not making a valid argument, you are just talking nonsense..

You should take some notes from both Christ and Redge here..

Hopefully Redge and Wars have made this clear by now:

Street Tech is the stuff made out of Junk and Spare Parts by people who cannot afford good quality stuff. It's cheap nad it often needs constant maintainance. It's 'Rough and Ready' stuff.

Nothing fancy, expensive or 'custom made'. It's about using what you have lying around to make something you need and can't afford proper parts for otherwise.

If you had actually read the origional post, you would understand that.

PS: Loving the Rat-Rod Redge, and the Potato-Cannon was genius!

True, when the characters get past the fighting for survival phase and are rich they can afford to build fancy cars. However, they are now above street level therefore they are not building street level items.

Which brings the matter to how poor the streets are? I mean, it is even today very common a person to have about 20k e car that looks quite nice. Are you suggesting that Cyberpunk characters are so poor that they drive 2k e sedans and have to fix them by themselves with parts they find from the streets, because they have no income to have better car and to take the cars to repair shop?

Are you suggesting that Cyberpunk characters are so poor that they drive 2k e sedans and have to fix them by themselves with parts they find from the streets, because they have no income to have better car and to take the cars to repair shop?
Starting off, very likely, yes. Also, I suspect the "average person" in 2077 doesn't have a 20k e car to drive, let alone a house with a garage to put it in. The average person in Night City (at least, in 2020) is lucky to have a tiny apartment, and relies on overcrowded public transportation to get to their underpaying job.

Starting off, very likely, yes. Also, I suspect the "average person" in 2077 doesn't have a 20k e car to drive, let alone a house with a garage to put it in. The average person in Night City (at least, in 2020) is lucky to have a tiny apartment, and relies on overcrowded public transportation to get to their underpaying job.

If they have a job. The economy in the era of the game is bad. Much of the population is homeless and jobless.

Starting off in Cyberpunk 2020 most characters can not afford a car. Maybe a cheap car if you didn't want much gear or ware. Personally my characters buy ware, then armor, then other gear. Maybe a cheap motorcycle if there is money left over. However if they have a vehicle a relatively safe place to park is important.

If they have a job. The economy in the era of the game is bad. Much of the population is homeless and jobless.

Starting off in Cyberpunk 2020 most characters can not afford a car. Maybe a cheap car if you didn't want much gear or ware. Personally my characters buy ware, then armor, then other gear. Maybe a cheap motorcycle if there is money left over. However if they have a vehicle a relatively safe place to park is important.

That is very true, though the majority, (slim as the margin is...) are listed as being corporate wage slaves; working too many hours for too little pay with next to no job security. They turn to booze, sex, drugs and braindance to give a semblance of meaning to their lives...

But hey, when Smash[SUP]TM[/SUP] is knocking on for 100eb+ for a 6 pack, your disposabe income doesn't get you very far. In that situation, it makes perfect sense to scrape together a few bucks to get a techie to make or repair devices out of bits and peices instead of paying the inflated corporate prices on new stuff.

Which brings the matter to how poor the streets are? I mean, it is even today very common a person to have about 20k e car that looks quite nice. Are you suggesting that Cyberpunk characters are so poor that they drive 2k e sedans and have to fix them by themselves with parts they find from the streets, because they have no income to have better car and to take the cars to repair shop?

I totally missed this comment, glad I checked back up on the thread.

You and I have two very different views of what is and isn't common. I believe second hand cars, bought for a fraction of the origional value, are a lot more common than new cars. I also know a lot more people driving cars that are worth less than £2k than I do people driving cars worth over £10k.

But, in answer to your question:
Are you suggesting that Cyberpunk characters are so poor that they drive 2k e sedans and have to fix them by themselves with parts they find from the streets, because they have no income to have better car and to take the cars to repair shop?

Suggesting, no, I for one am flat out telling you that the general population are. I know that msot starting characters in the PnP game certainly struggle to afford a vehicle, (other than maybe a cheap bike...) They certainly can't afford a luxury car to start with.

Here is a diagram of the distribution of wealth in the USA in Cyberpunk 2020

View attachment 1128

The majority of the population can't afford a car at all, let alone a nice one. They use public transport. Nomads also often build their own cars from junk and they probably represent the largest percentage of vehicle owners in the whole of the US. Only the Corps get nice cars, and maybe some fixers/solo's

Attachments

• Home of the Brave.jpg
    Home of the Brave.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 41
Suggesting, no, I for one am flat out telling you that the general population are. I know that msot starting characters in the PnP game certainly struggle to afford a vehicle, (other than maybe a cheap bike...) They certainly can't afford a luxury car to start with.

Here is a diagram of the distribution of wealth in the USA in Cyberpunk 2020

The majority of the population can't afford a car at all, let alone a nice one. They use public transport. Nomads also often build their own cars from junk and they probably represent the largest percentage of vehicle owners in the whole of the US. Only the Corps get nice cars, and maybe some fixers/solo's

But are you suggesting, that the player characters will be average losers?

Yes of course when you are like 20 you might not be able to afford a nice car. Many people go to good school, take car loan, and start driving. Any car that costs less than 10k euros is kind of cheapskate car. And comparing countries, in US they don't have things like car taxes / import taxes etc. and in US they have low wage taxes in any case, so cars are cheap there.

Of course, in 2077 things will be different. Lack of resources, over population etc..

But are you suggesting, that the player characters will be average losers?

Yes of course when you are like 20 you might not be able to afford a nice car. Many people go to good school, take car loan, and start driving. Any car that costs less than 10k euros is kind of cheapskate car. And comparing countries, in US they don't have things like car taxes / import taxes etc. and in US they have low wage taxes in any case, so cars are cheap there.

Of course, in 2077 things will be different. Lack of resources, over population etc..

No. The PCs are not average. They usually have higher stats than average and some money to spend on equipment and ware. Equipment can include a cheap ride and a place to live. Usually though it is ware, armor, and guns.

Top Bottom