Simplicity in FNFF

+
Simplicity in FNFF

Does anyone bother to track weight and encumberance in CP2020? Or pay careful attention to how many times a day you can use Adrenal Booster? How about blood loss, temperature drop and such?

Also - static weapon damage, based on averages. I.e. 6D6+2 now does 23 damage unless you roll a 1 or a 10? Tried that?

I've never tracked weight or encumbrance on a player unless the player is carrying a very large amount of stuff or something that should slow them down (more than a dozen firearms, a dataterm, a body etc.)

As for static weapon damage I considered it but instead went with another method of maximum damage. This made combat more simplistic and forced players to think tactically because it made weapons just what they are...dangerous.

Haha it's stuff like this that keep me from playing the pnp. As much as part of me wants to. Having never played a table top game in my life I feel like I would drown in this game.

Maximum damage, you say? How interesting. Although it does mean that a single hit with a 7.62 round is nearly always an autokill - and people who've gotten to medical help have survived 7.62 and 5.56 before. Lots of them, actually. Still, it does seem amusing.

The PnP is actually pretty simple, Whisper. It's a single 1d10 roll for all skill checks, then a varied amount of D6 - or a static value if you prefer - for damage. Multiple actions are as simple as declaring them and paying a penalty to your skill roll. There are a few refinements vis a vis healing, mortal checks, drugs, etc, but that there is the bulk of it.

This system lets you do everything from bargain for illegal stock certificates to pilot a space shuttle or sing to an audience.

Most of the depth comes from player imagination - things to do with those skills that affect the target number but would get interesting results. Like, "I want to persuade this cop that I am undercover in the gang squad and he needs to give me access to the secure link in his cruiser. Oh, I'm wearing clown clothes and carrying an electrified lollipop. It's unregistered."

There's a game shop near me, maybe I'll see if they do CP and watch a game. I'm guessing 1d10 means a 10 sided dice, d6 is a normal one, and FNFF is... Fatal numbers for fun?

We didn't keep track of encumbrance until I put the capability into my character sheet. Same with wound penalties. Character's in my game had better keep up with how many times they use daily ware. If I catch them not keeping track their ware will malfunction. Once characters reach mortal they take one point of damager per round until stabilized from blood loss.

We tried static damage for weapons once. The GM decided that all weapons did max damage. ATM we use adjusted damage. I went through and converted half the dice to static damage. This raised the min and average damage but not the max. Example 2d6 became d6+6, 5d6 became 2d6+18, 2d6+3 became d6+9.

I have checked to see if characters have cold weather clothing. Gave one character heat stroke because he was wearing a sneak suit, clothes, and a trench coat during the summer in Night City once. The player was mad!!

Maximum damage, you say? How interesting. Although it does mean that a single hit with a 7.62 round is nearly always an autokill - and people who've gotten to medical help have survived 7.62 and 5.56 before. Lots of them, actually. Still, it does seem amusing.

For my games Max Damage does a few things:

1) People play combat like their lives are on the line. They use cover, concealment, sneak attacks, and use supressive fire, etc. In essence they fight like real people would.

2) It completely speeds up combat. You roll to hit, roll location, determine damage and move on.

3) Deadly combat also promotes things like talking stuff out at times a far more sensible idea.

4) Characters who do really foolish things learn from their mistakes.

I..suppose. FNFF combat is pretty deadly already. As long as you don't skimp on negatives to-hit - or positives - max damage at 1m to touching, head hits or any other crit location doubling, Mortal Saves, blood loss, etc.

I don't see a lot of players trying to run and gun under those circumstances.

I like speeding combat, but wouldn't average damage do that as well? Max means a single punch to the face does 3 points of damage, before strength boost of +1, to 4, doubled to 8. Forcing an immediate Mortal save unless BTM reduces it by 1. Or autokilling if you are using the base rules.

From a single punch. Each punch. A kick would do 6 damage + Str boost, doubled....no one un-cybered could afford a kick to the head ever.

There's a game shop near me, maybe I'll see if they do CP and watch a game. I'm guessing 1d10 means a 10 sided dice, d6 is a normal one, and FNFF is... Fatal numbers for fun?

Yep, correct with the dice. Typical gaming convention across all games is 'D' represents 'dice', number before it is the number of dice rolled, and the number after it is the type of dice rolled. So 1d10 would be to roll one 10 sided dice. Sometimes there's a modifier after that, say 6d6+2. So you would then roll six six sided dice, then add two to the result. Occasionally it's a negative modifier, occasionally a multiplier. So a 1d6x10 would be one six sided dice, and multiply the result by ten. Another common dice convention is the 1d100 or 1d%. This is determined by rolling two ten sided dice, one to determine the 'units' (1,2,3,etc) the other the 'tens' (10, 20,30,etc). Most ten sided dice are marked 1 to 0 (the 0 being ten) for this purpose. These days there is usually a 'tens' dice in a typical polyhedral dice set (one marked 10, 20,30,etc). This enables you to roll a result from 01 through to 100.

For the most part the PnP CP2020 game uses just d10 and d6 sided dice. You can get by with just one d10, but a small handful of dg (around 6) is handy. Some of the larger caliber weapons use d10s rather than d6s (like the Barret M90, .50 caliber weapons and the like). A d3 is handy for firing short bursts (1d6 divided by 2 will suffice), but you can actually buy them. They're a 'normal' six sided dice, with 1,2,3 marked on it twice.

And FNFF stand for Friday Night Fire Fight, what the combat rules are called in CP2020. There's an abridged version called SNS or Saturday Night Scuffle.

8]

Don't often track weight, tend to keep an eye on how much the characters are carrying, mostly that they're not walking armories with a dozen long arms, try to keep it reasonable.

As for things like how many uses for things like Adrenal Glands etc, yeah, the players have to keep track of that, same for ammo. Have also tracked temperature, but mostly only when extremes are encountered (sub arctic or tropical for example), or slogging through a desert with all their gear & armour on. As for damage, we just use the dice indicated. There have been people killed by just a 'flesh wound', through to those high as a kite and shrugging of numerous rounds, as specified in the CP main book.

Never needed to worry about weight. Players have always traveled light.

Making it to realistic will need to many numbers to keep track on. I belive it can be fun playing a simple game without to much reality to worry about. All the good movies, computer games and books lack realism, so why can't a good pnp game do the same?

It's just entertainment.

Oh, I don't know about that at all. The movie "Heat" was pretty realistic and it was very good. That's just off the top of my head.

There is also a limit to "lack realism". That limit tends to be suspension of disbelief, which in turn relies on a coherent narrative structure and consequences within that structure.

To wit: Jedi are pretty unbelievable, right? The Force, telekinesis, light sabers, etc. But the movie sets limits on them, makes it clear some of the things they can and cannot do. If you'd seen Luke cut the Death Star in half with his light saber, how would that have looked? And then teleported home from his X Wing? Pretty unbelievable and silly, right? I mean, if they could do THAT, why not just do it from the get-go?

Your players may have travelled light, but what if they discovered they could layer on oft and hard armours, carry an Anti Matter Rifle, forty grenades, a spare Deck for the Runner, a primary and back up secured phone, extra cyber-limbs...and all of that fits in their duffle? Players do that because they like to survive - and also because they are pack rats.

Lastly, rarity typically increases value. If the PCs can carry an SMG, shotgun, two assault rifles, three handguns then they won't really value any of them. If you tell them they have room for one long arm and two short, their sense of value of those weapons will go way up.

Not so much weight, as size and common sense.... thats why I created the customized l9oadout sheets, and why I arranged the character sheets the way I did. If I tracked weight my OCD would drive my players mad....

I never worried about weight being an issue everyone liked light loads, I did allow players to choose if they wanted to roll damage for each bullet, or just roll once and use that for each one on burst or full auto attacks. They did have to choose before making the attack roll, most folks just went with the single roll as it did make play faster.

Never worried about weight unless players were just being ridiculous with what they were carrying as equipment or if they were trying to carry something big in or out of a fight (like a safe or a fallen PC or something).

As for max damage at point blank, I treat that as physically touching the target, like pressing your gun into their back. Being 1m is still a roll. And getting the gun against a conscious non-restrained target requires a to-hit like a melee/martial art attack.

Also - static weapon damage, based on averages. I.e. 6D6+2 now does 23 damage unless you roll a 1 or a 10? Tried that?

You could try the Android App I posted months ago, its based on average damage, plus a modifier based in how much you pass the difficult (with a maximum), with this system I never roll locations (if you hit with more difference, the hit is better placed so it makes more damage), so you dont have to worry for an undesired headshot, but you can use the system and rolling locations, is fully complatible

For the inventory I use a lot a rule of LUCK+[Appropiate skill] when someone ask "Is possible that I carry a [item]", so they dont have to keep track of every single item, and his luck plays a role in form of "Hey! Luckily I get that when I left home this morning!", works very well.

For the inventory I use a lot a rule of LUCK+[Appropiate skill] when someone ask "Is possible that I carry a [item]", so they dont have to keep track of every single item, and his luck plays a role in form of "Hey! Luckily I get that when I left home this morning!", works very well.

I go the other way. If something is not listed on the character sheet they do not have it. More than once characters have gone to fire their weapons without ammo. The excel character sheet I made tracks weight and wound state automatically if it s filled out correctly including deducting points from stats. The drawback is having to use a computer for the sheet.

Boggle.

As a shooter, this idea greatly amuses me. You are- always- conscious of your ammunition. Sure, you might dump a mag and lose count, but you always have a pretty good idea how many boxes/rounds are in your rucksack or wherever.

In twenty plus years, I can say I've never taken a weapon without ammunition. Forgotten to buy ammunition after a shoot when I was low, sure, but never thought I had ammo when I didn't. Mmm. Excepting only if I haven't fired a weapon in a month or more - in that case I have only a vague idea of how many rounds I have.

Boggle.

As a shooter, this idea greatly amuses me. You are- always- conscious of your ammunition. Sure, you might dump a mag and lose count, but you always have a pretty good idea how many boxes/rounds are in your rucksack or wherever.

In twenty plus years, I can say I've never taken a weapon without ammunition. Forgotten to buy ammunition after a shoot when I was low, sure, but never thought I had ammo when I didn't. Mmm. Excepting only if I haven't fired a weapon in a month or more - in that case I have only a vague idea of how many rounds I have.

What guns do you shoot?

Top Bottom