I don't care if it isn't possible, I want a purple one...

+
I don't care if it isn't possible, I want a purple one...

Now even thpugh it is a propaganda riddled digital rag, The Mittani dot com does occasionally have something good to read:

themittani.com/news/lightsabers-might-soon-be-real

So, yeah, REAL LIGHTSABERS MUTHA FUCKERS!

Edit: can a mod please correct my fat-fingered spelling mistake in the thread title please?

Edit: Cheers

I just want to know which body part are you gonna cut off when you do the cool light saber flip?

If going by the thread title and yes it`s possible that if you choke the chicken hard enough it will turn purple . :p

Hmmm...light saber . Given my luck I would have it pointed the wrong direction when it is activated thereby ending my blossoming Jedi knighthood ....

Speaking of Tommy's blossoming and Chris' purple one:

from https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news...tting-shadow-warrior-have-a-penetrator--.aspx

Feel FREE to check out the awesome animated gif.

Also, I want FULL CREDIT for using the edited image, please! SHOWS I GOTS THE DECORUM.

Forum veteran
Calling it right now—the advent of the real-life lightsaber will be followed by a sharp decline in living college students.

As far as purple lightsabers go, and as much as I respect Sam Jackson, he has done at least one interview, couple if I'm not mistaken, where he has insinuated that the purple lightsaber concept originated with him - not just that his character, Mace Windu, would have a purple lightsaber mind you, but that lightsabers have always been red, blue and green, and his purple one was somehow unique.

This is categorically false. I don't know the exact origin of the purple lightsaber, seeing as though everything in Star Wars, regardless of which canon (G, T, C, S), has been retconned a million times by now. I do know, however, that I played the Star Wars CCG (the original one), and I saw this card with mine own eyes;

Mara Jade had a purple lightsaber back in the mid 90's.

Now, obviously it would be way too much to ask for actors to actually know their source material beyond the script they read, and I do admit that going beyond the G-canon or the six films by Lucas would require you to be a bit of a Star Wars buff or at least some kind of a nerd, neither of which I believe Mr. Jackson to be, but the fact remains that purple lightsabers existed before Sam Jackson asked Lucas to give him one.

Then we can, of course, have a debate over what's purple, what's magenta and what's violet, and whether the lightsaber is actually one of the multitudes of shades of those colors, or a combination of many. :cool:

Yeah..but which doesn't change at all that the idea of a movie Jedi with a purple lightsaber may well have originated with Jackson, who would neither know nor care about Mara Jade or some card game. He sees lightsabers, he wants a special one, George says only green or yellow or blue or whatever and he says, 'No, George, I want purple." Seems plausible to me.

Was there another movie Jedi with a purple lightsaber? Or any other "cool, funky colour" saber in the movies?

Lucas could tell you for sure if the purple lightsaber idea for Mace originated with Jackson or not. Ask him!

Yeah..but which doesn't change at all that the idea of a movie Jedi with a purple lightsaber may well have originated with Jackson, who would neither know nor care about Mara Jade or some card game. He sees lightsabers, he wants a special one, George says only green or yellow or blue or whatever and he says, 'No, George, I want purple." Seems plausible to me.

Was there another movie Jedi with a purple lightsaber? Or any other "cool, funky colour" saber in the movies?

Lucas could tell you for sure if the purple lightsaber idea for Mace originated with Jackson or not. Ask him!

I wasn't disputing the fact that Sam Jackson asked Lucas for a purple lightsaber for the second prequel (Episode II), which we know he did. I was merely pointing out that his insinuations about him being the originator of any lightsaber in that universe ever being purple are completely wrong. Then again, people say stupid things in interviews.

Here's Mara Jade in Masters of Teräs Käsi (Teräs Käsi is Finnish, by the way, and the original name of the Jedi martial arts) from 1997:

Lightsaber comes out at about 0:35.

Further proof that purple lightsabers were an old thing before Mace Windu got one. But yeah, it was Jackson's idea to have one when he returned, apparently so he would be easier to spot in the arena fighting scene. Who knows.

I..don't think he said a stupid thing in an interview. I think he..just doesn't care that much about Star Wars fanfic/alt canon/whatever the Expanded universe goes by. Hell, he's probably barely aware there is one.

Movies are Star Wars - the rest is...I dunno. Drippings? Confusion? Profit? Don't really care. Much like Sam! And given how hard the second batch sucked, I mostly work on pretending everything including and after the first Ewok showed up...is an alternate reality. Made of bad.

As far as I'm concerned, full points to Sam for giving us purple lightsabers! Something cool amidst the shite! You go, SLJ!

I do agree in that it's great that Episode II brought the concept of purple lightsabers to the masses who are not interested in the subject matter. Purple lightsabers are cool, after all.

I just think it's just a bit hilarious to dismiss the millions upon millions of people who enjoy the entire Star Wars universe (or universes rather), including the card games, PC/console games, animated series, books, and so on, whether they're the original universe or Old Republic, just because you happen to like (a part) of the original movies, and nothing more. :cool:

Whatever stroke of genius Lucas had back when he managed to make this thing into the three original movies died a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Since then he's done nothing but rape the movies. That's why I embrace the EU (extended universe) wholeheartedly, seeing as though people much more talented than Mr 'Han Didn't Shoot First' Lucas (yes he goddamn well did), and people who actually care for the world get to create stuff for it. The best decision Lucas made since the 70's was to give Star Wars away, completely.

I'm not sure if Abrams can pull it off with Episode VII but I'm hopeful.

A bit off-topic maybe, but it's all about purple lightsabers after all. :p

It is!

I would argue the belief that people more talented than Lucas are in the EU - everything I've read or seen from it, writing and idea-wise, is at best as good as TPM. Maaaybe the first Marvel comics from the 80s and Alan Dean Foster's novel are the exception. The rest I find to be overblown space opera shallowness, generally. Even my beloved Jedi Knight games.

I also am unsure of Abrams - Into Darkness was a not-great Star Trek movie, but it felt like it could have been a good Star Wars movie. It even had a guy leaping around with a melee weapon. In space times! And killing forty hundred Stormtr..err, Klingons by himself! So, we'll see.

I would argue the belief that people more talented than Lucas are in the EU - everything I've read or seen from it, writing and idea-wise, is at best as good as TPM. Maaaybe the first Marvel comics from the 80s and Alan Dean Foster's novel are the exception. The rest I find to be overblown space opera shallowness, generally. Even my beloved Jedi Knight games.

Well, the EU is everyone else other than Lucas, so if there are talented people on this Earth, or ever will be, they are, by default, in the EU. At least potentially. And now that Mickey Mouse owns Star Wars, not even in the EU; potential writers for the actual main storyline. If there haven't been talented writers writing Star Wars stories yet, there may be in the future.

And call me a blasphemer, but the three original movies weren't exactly Shakespearean in quality. In fact, they were so damn shallow, that's why they made such good popcorn flicks.

Top Bottom