My understanding of Cyberpunk 2077 release state dislike

+
As the thread title states this thread is about my understanding of the dislike of state Cyberpunk 2077 was released in. Moderators if this is the wrong topic area please move it.

I deliberately avoided the hype-train for this game and had decided to pre-order the game on watching the initial teaser trailer, so when it came out and it seemed to me that everyone went up in flames on the state the game was released in I thought it had to do with the hype associated with it and the unrealistic expectations everyone had built up.

This belief persisted until approximately a week ago when I watched the first episode of the Netflix adaptation of The Witcher. This convinced me to try The Witcher 3 GOTY edition, which was on sale on Steam for 80% off at the time. Now to be honest I had not tried any of the Witcher games as I want more science fiction based computer RPG's not fantasy. A couple of hours of play time later I finally realized what the dislike was about and, in my opinion, I believe that people still overreacted.

Did CP2077 need bugs fixed, yes. Do game systems need tweaking, again yes. For me the only bugs I have run into were the old graphics driver glitch, occasional clipping issue when hitting any movable object while driving and the mission comments from the fixers decoupling from the missions. I have not had any of the other reported bugs or errors and I think that this is because my graphics card does not have RTX capacity, but since I am not an expert on computers I could be completely wrong about this and have just been very lucky as far as bugs and glitches go.

I believe that CDPR can pull a "No Man's Sky" if people give them a chance to do so. In my opinion this means letting them work and not demanding an update every 30 seconds or so (or so it seems to me) and not complaining when things do not go according to a tentative timeline or about features that this or that fan want in the game or believe were cut from the game, But then I have been told that I have a seemingly infinite level of patience so I am willing to wait for them to work on the game.

To paraphrase the situation I see this game as a diamond in the rough that just needs cutting and polishing but the gem cutter keeps getting jostled by the customer.

Sorry for the wall of text but I feel that I had to state this and I hope that the discussion this might trigger will be polite.

TL;DR
Sorry for the wall of text but I feel that I had to state this and I hope that the discussion this might trigger will be polite.
I can only say that I completely agree as I have had a similar experience both in how I avoided everything surrounding this game.
I only hit "Preorder" about a year ago or so and beyond that never looked at anything news or other related Cyberpunk media.
When I enetred into the game (which was about 30 mins on dec 10, after that didn't have time to play until my holidays around christmas I also was struck with a very 'well-running' game as far as that was concerned. (definately compared to what I've heard and red since on the forums for one)

One minor question that has arisen for me resulting this thread however, what exactly do you hope to spark a discussion on?
Becasue if its about the hypetrain and all that I do not know how long this threads lasts for.

Actually I thought I had just put that last statement as "Sorry for the wall of text".
Guess I should not have my attention split on multiple different things.

Actually I thought I had just put that last statement as "Sorry for the wall of text".
Guess I should not have my attention split on multiple different things.
Ooh, maybe I did not clarify properly :)
What I meant by my question about "what do you hope to discuss" was: because if the intend was to spark a discussion on the hypetrain surrounding this game and the like, for that discussion there are already topics. <-- hence I'm not sure if another one will last long.
Btw, you need not to excuse yourself for sharing your opinion ;)
it was not a berate or anything of such kind

I did not think of you as berating me just pointing out an error I had made
My apology for is from prior experience on another forum about a comment I made that a number of people considered too long.

I did not think of you as berating me just pointing out an error I had made
My apology for is from prior experience on another forum about a comment I made that a number of people considered too long.
Aah, well then no worries. :)

It is often a 'nesecary evil' to make a long post that goes ways to explain about points that highlight the good in something.
Well, if nothing else, enjoy your stay around these parts :)

While you certainly nail part of the issue, there are some things I'd argue you don't consider.

The game has some seriously strong points. It's narrative is stellar in most case. The voice actors, at least the English ones, are amazing in most cases (Cherami Leigh especially did an incredible job with female V), the artistic design is absolutely gorgeous, gunplay is solid(especially for a first try), etc.

There are incredible things about the game.

If you didn't follow the news and development of the game, yeah, chances are those are going to be enough to woo you. Yet, even with that in mind there are basic things that should've been in the game at launch and things that should've been fixed after 7 months.

If you did follow the development and news, then all of that is compounded with the fact there is sooooooo much wasted potential here. It's obvious they bit off more than they could chew and had to cut many things to make it in time for the release date. Now, diamond in the rough, yeah, I can agree with that to a certain degree myself. The thing is, it's very unclear whether it's ever going become the polished diamond it could've been.

CDPR's utter silence on everything is only making things worse.

I agree that there are basic things that should have been in the game at launch and that should have been fixed by now and I agree that the game has numerous strong points but the problem is that there are too many people "screaming" about the errors made trying to hide those strong points.

I also understand CDPR's silence, but that does not mean I agree with it.

I deliberately avoided the hype-train for this game and had decided to pre-order the game on watching the initial teaser trailer, so when it came out and it seemed to me that everyone went up in flames on the state the game was released in I thought it had to do with the hype associated with it and the unrealistic expectations everyone had built up.
I would probably say yes and no and it depends :D

I as you, didn't really have huge issues, yes there was the glitches etc. But only around the end game, a lot of bugs started to show in the actual missions, which I probably would consider game breaking. And my playthrough took around 125+ hours I think, so we are talking about the last 15 or so hours, so it weren't to bad for me personally. But on the other side, you can see people, with better computers than me, or on PS4/Xbox etc. where its just one huge bug after another.

In regards to the expectations, I personally had high expectations and for the most part the game live up to them, but where I think most people (ignoring the bug parts) get frustrated, is that the game is so close to being extremely good. I can tell you that Im not especially patience, when it comes to games, meaning that I rarely finish them before moving on, but I did with CP, so at least in my opinion the game is really good, despite all the negative feedback that it gets, and again, you look pass the bugs, there is a lot of fun to be had here.

But given that the game was released to soon, it also highlight a lot of issues, where you can see a huge difference in quality in the game, the dialog and acting is really damn good, NC is amazing in my opinion. A lot of missions are well designed and interesting. But then the quality completely drops, when it comes to the general NPC AI, police, the traffic, the economy being completely broken and there are some general balance issues in the game. You have the complete lack of content to do in NC, which eventually show itself as being an empty shell. I got a shock when I dived under water, the game looks completely unfinished here, which you can live with since there is nothing to do.

But when the game works, it works very well and when it fails, it fails big time. And given that the range is so massive, I think people will complain about the things that are obviously very bad, because it drags all the good things down, but also the contrast between these, shows how good it could have been had these things worked better, and for me, I think that is what ultimately frustrate people the most, its so close :D

And as you I think they can fix it, if they want to and make it into an extremely good game over the years. I think it would be a lot easier for them to do it, than it was for No man sky, because so many things in CP is really good already.

Last edited:
The game as potential if they keap fixing it.Adding some stuff and changing another ones can bring a lot ofife to the game.. NC is so beutiful,i wanted to explore the city and immerse myself in it...but i couldnt...the city is just a stage for the story...i think a lot of stuff will be in the next cyberpunk 2077...as for this one,i really dont know what to think...i play on pc,no bugs as of the latest patch and with some mods correcting some stuff and ading others the game becomes another one...i think if they play it rigth they can change the game for better...and i trully want that...

I agree that there are basic things that should have been in the game at launch and that should have been fixed by now and I agree that the game has numerous strong points but the problem is that there are too many people "screaming" about the errors made trying to hide those strong points.

I also understand CDPR's silence, but that does not mean I agree with it.

I don't think anyone is trying to hide or distract from the game's strong points. In fact, from what I've seen it's a very small minority that dismiss everything about the game. Most people will admit what the game's strong points are.

I think that falls deep within basic human behavior. People have a strong tendency to remember and focus the on bad far more than the good. Not necessarily forgetting or hiding the good.

@GrimReaper801 you are right about human nature and thank you for reminding me of it. Ones personal experiences color how you look at things and my past experiences have given me the particular view that I have posted earlier.

"MY UNDERSTANDING OF CYBERPUNK 2077 RELEASE STATE DISLIKE"​

Agree with you as I didn't follow the hype either. People expect a perfectly functional game they paid for, which is logic of course, but don't exactly understand that games, once they're launched, can make a change of state, making it look it was released in a completely broken state.

Had a few crashes in the beginning, but after the game played perfectly fine since. Was just a bad series of circumstances the game launched the way it did.

i'm curious about the actual number of people who had game breaking bugs, pretty sure clipping isn't considered a bug, at least to me. i honestly think most people had small to medium bugs and only the unlucky had horrible bugs. somehow most of the unlucky people are Youtube reviewers :oops: makes me wonder...

i'm curious about the actual number of people who had game breaking bugs, pretty sure clipping isn't considered a bug, at least to me. i honestly think most people had small to medium bugs and only the unlucky had horrible bugs. somehow most of the unlucky people are Youtube reviewers :oops: makes me wonder...
There is actually people out there that consider even the most minor clipping game breaking issues. There is people who consider drops of 1-2 frames game breaking. I have known quite a few of this people personally and I never understood them. It's fine to have high standards, but that IMO is nitpicking at it's finest for me. Also YT content creators do loooove to create more drama if they get a whif of more clicks and views by doing so, so any 'Everybody is complaining about this game' statements should be taken with huge grain of salt. There is plenty of things to improve and fix yet, but IMO the game wasn't nearly as bad as many make it out to be, nor was it anywhere near fundamentally broken - again, as many out ther make it out to be.

When I say nearly, as bad - I don't mean according to me. Personally I loved every second of it. I only wished it was longer. Barely encountered any bugs. The most of those were just visual glitches that barely took away from the experience.

So CP77 is a step back from Witcher 3?
I would say that it is a huge step back. Obviously the games are quite different, but so many systems in CP is not functional at all. Given how long time the game have been in development or at least announced, some of the systems are mind-blowingly bad, like NPC unable to walk around things, cars unable to drive around stuff. Police spawning in behind the player, NPCs just disappearing when you shoot your gun. The complete lack of any integration of factions, you shoot 100s of them and they don't care. They are basically one type of enemy, with a different skin and another name.

Think about that the game was announced in 2012 and depending on when they started working on it, but still 8 years!!. And yet they have only the absolute bare minimum systems in place, that just about works. 8 years and NPCs can't figure out how to move around things? Simply disappear when gunshots are fired near them, no system making them react more natural? Police just instantly spawn in behind you and starts shooting you?

Again 8 years, what on Earth did they do in those 8 years those people working on these systems? :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom