Improvement: Ability to not answer phone calls

+
Actually it could be more fun to just receive one call from the fixers and to get missions go to see them in person...that would solve this phone calls problem,or maybe we could them for jobs to...
I think it might be difficult due to world and quest mechanism. They're all out there in the world, so you get a call an initialize the quest before you enter the area. There are already quests you can enter before they're assigned to you (like due to insufficient SC or not being far enough in story) and mess up those areas (e.g. like with Cinema and Rogue, where if you enter it before to scan Tarrot, you miss half of the dialogue with Rogue).

So to dismiss calls they also need to change how all gigs are handled - either block you out of all quest areas somehow (like fixer giving you a stolen door key or forged local network certificate) or remove the quests from the world before you start them, which would too cause a bunch of problems.

At the very least they could put the call on hold until after combat.
It's already the case, I think.
When you're "on" call and enter in combat, the call is stopped.
After the combat, V said "Ok, where were we already ?" and the call resume normally.

But for GIGs, you "only" receive one call for each GIG during the whole game, not a serious problem (for me at least).

I have stated either in this thread or another thread (I do not remember tbh) that the player should be contacting the fixer for missions. For example: V calls Regina "Hey I am in Watson do you have any work for me?" and the system gives you a Gig appropriate to your level which then appears on the map.

I think fixers should call and be like "I have a job for you, come see me if you want it" then give the deets in person"
I also think that gigs should be spread out a lot more as to when they are available, rather than just when you are in the area. There could also be a time limit as to when the fixer calls about a gig and you go to get the deets. Take too long and another merc takes the job. Miss too many gigs and the fixer drops you as a contact, or you can find the location and steal back the gig from the competing merc...

For real, it's crazy this thread even exists to suggest this "improvement."
Why have a button assigned to answering a call when the call answers itself anyway. Oh, I think I know why. Illusion of choice.
So silly... Thinking about this genuinely gets me mad. Not angry mad, more like a state of frustrated confusion.
I want to love the game, but the plethora of things like this make that... challenging. I've already beat the game once, so there's no need for me to go through any of that again at least until the game's glaring flaws are completely ironed out.

I think fixers should call and be like "I have a job for you, come see me if you want it" then give the deets in person"
I also think that gigs should be spread out a lot more as to when they are available, rather than just when you are in the area. There could also be a time limit as to when the fixer calls about a gig and you go to get the deets. Take too long and another merc takes the job. Miss too many gigs and the fixer drops you as a contact, or you can find the location and steal back the gig from the competing merc...
That could be nice, but there is a little problem with this :(
GIGs are count in some achievements, so I see that from very far :
"I didn't do this GIG in time... or Padre no longer call me... What the hell !!! I'm not able to have 100% and I don't want to redo everything !!! Stupid game..."

That could be nice, but there is a little problem with this :(
GIGs are count in some achievements, so I see that from very far :
"I didn't do this GIG in time... or Padre no longer call me... What the hell !!! I'm not able to have 100% and I don't want to redo everything !!! Stupid game..."
I guess achievements could be reworked or some method to get back in favor with fixers (2nd chance gig or something). I never pay attention to achievements as I'm not interested in them. I just want to play a game and see the story unfold.

Pawel Sasko said in one of a streams that they are looking closely on a phone calls feedback - some adjustments have been already made like not receiving one in a combat mode etc. - of course he coudnt tell what else they will implemend but it sounded like some kind of future updates of that system might be happening.

It'd also be less painful if you could fast forward them, like most other conversations. The SOCA alerts get kind of tiring because 90% of the words are the same and they tend to be long, so having to sit there listening to them is frustrating.

It's also very weird how phone calls disable your ability to grapple or double jump/super jump, Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I've actually gotten stuck/fallen multiple times because the phone call triggered at the absolute worst moment, so I fall into an odd spot on the map. It's also frustrating when you're, let's say, fleeing and trying to get over a fence. Being shot at? Guess I'll wait until Padre finishes, lol. That voice actor is doing well, but the character he's embodying talks so slow and deliberately it takes awhile to wrap up.

Since you never interact with these phone calls, one option is to just let V send them to voicemail. Assign the quest, and give you the option to replay the call via the Journal (or the text message screen, but the Journal might feel more natural since that's where the quest will be listed). Then no triggers break, and you can ignore them like when a fixer texts you if you really want.

It's also very weird how phone calls disable your ability to grapple or double jump/super jump, Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I've actually gotten stuck/fallen multiple times because the phone call triggered at the absolute worst moment, so I fall into an odd spot on the map. It's also frustrating when you're, let's say, fleeing and trying to get over a fence. Being shot at? Guess I'll wait until Padre finishes, lol. That voice actor is doing well, but the character he's embodying talks so slow and deliberately it takes awhile to wrap up.
I reported this problem as a support ticket on 17 Dec, got a reply on Mar 24. I suggest reporting this like I did, it is a frustrating bug.
You, or rather anyone, can submit a ticket here. They don't really see what goes on in the forums too much, I think, so submitting a ticket is the ideal way of reaching them.

I reported this problem as a support ticket on 17 Dec, got a reply on Mar 24. I suggest reporting this like I did, it is a frustrating bug.
You, or rather anyone, can submit a ticket here. They don't really see what goes on in the forums too much, I think, so submitting a ticket is the ideal way of reaching them.

Thanks for the heads up! I've reported other stuff but I was waffling on if this one warranted a bug report. Like if they let you send a call to voicemail it'd essentially be solved.

I'll submit it anyway though, just in case.

Padre: *Calls me about a job even if I don't pick up, when all I was doing was running around somewhere else to complete another quest*
Me: *Ignores him and keeps running.*
Padre: *Calls me again offering me a different job, only 2 streets away from the last one*
Me: *Finally leaves the district, then some other fixer calls...*

In Saints Row 2 you'd also receive annoying calls urging you to start a mission or go somewhere, but if you ignored the call they'd eventually hang up and try again hours later. Wished we had that.

Well they need to record new dialogues for when V doesn't answer the phone.
For example : Regina calls you and you don't want to answer her. But then she calls you again and she asks you : Why you didn't answer my call ?

For example : Regina calls you and you don't want to answer her. But then she calls you again and she asks you : Why you didn't answer my call ?
What about something like, say Regina, saying "There you are!" "You finally gonna take my call?" "Busy, I take?", and then her repeating the usual dialogue where she gives you the gig

They actually wouldn't, you already hangup on calls in situations where combat starts *sometimes*, as described earlier in the thread. Those lines could easily work to ignore a call and pick it up later.

And it wouldn't be any jankier than how time is basically meaningless and you can start or complete a quest whenever you want, even weeks in game time.

For example: I've been running around with Jake's kidney for days, poor kid. Yet no one asks why I strolled into camp three days after I said I would.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure, with a little ingenuity it could be done. There are already a few lines of dialogue when you enter a combat (and the holocall hangs up automatically)
like "Ok, what were we talking about ?"

Top Bottom