[Suggestion] Quick little thing...

+
One small thing that have annoyed me a lot in CP from the moment I started playing it, is the way dialogs are presented and the use of different colors.

To me all dialogs should be presented in a single color or at least an option for turning it off should be added, also the responses should be completely randomized in what order they are presented to the player, from playthrough to playthrough, simply to make sure that the top ones are not always the yellow ones. To me, this really ruins the immersion and RP aspect of the game. When you know certain dialog options are "safe" words and sort of forces you into selecting all of these first, simply because they are blue rather than yellow.

I get that, the idea is so people won't miss information, but still I think in some cases, V should either be allowed to ask again, like a "I want to ask you something.." and you get a list of things you can ask about. At least until they are no longer relevant, like if the mission have moved past that point, or you already got the information some other way etc. Otherwise I think CDPR should simply make it so V miss out on those information.

To me, this small change would improve the replayability a lot, especially if they decide to add more branching stories down the line. Because you will never know which option is going to trigger something to be pushed forward or not, and what you might have missed out on. What might tick off some people you interact with. Like if you are trying to be a badass V or something and call people something nasty and what the consequence will be, if its blue you know nothing will happen.

And if the dialog option is yellow you know before choosing it, that the story will move on and you won't have the option to fire off all the blue ones afterwards.

At least, in my opinion, ill rather play the game with a chance to miss out on things, but having to carefully play my character and say the things I feel makes the most sense, rather than follow some predefined color scheme. To then pick up the game again later and play as another type of character, I think it is a huge mistake in the dialog system when it comes to immersion and replayability, so I really hope that CDPR will add such option and obviously more branching stories in the future. It would make the game so much more interesting by such a little addition. And I wished they had done it from the start.

This is the goal of knowing which dialogs will or will not be "optional". A bit like in mass effect where the dialogues on the left will advance or end the conversation and on the right it is all that is optional :)
And some "blue line" are not very "good" to said, like with Judy about evelyn in scavs hideout.

But an option to deactivate this, don't bother me, if you really want to disable those colored dialogue lines.

This is an odd nitpick to me. Because blue doesn't always allow you to speak every blue dialogue in conversation. They'll sometimes disappear if you didn't choose them first. And all anything blue is "unimportant," anything yellow is "necessary."

It's a different style of dialogue and RP, letting you choose. You don't have to follow or say them, you can choose whether your V is interested (or choose whether they would ask these) or not. I don't see how it's immersion breaking.
Post automatically merged:

But an option to deactivate this, don't bother me, if you really want to disable those colored dialogue lines.
It'd be a good mod if someone knew how to do that.

Well in the end, that doesn't bother me, because in most games there is always a system to "show" the optional dialogue options.

But in Cyberpunk, if you don't read the shards, don't read the messages on computers and besides you don't ask for additional details because you chose the wrong answer (or think it's not important to ask)... oh boy, you will miss much of the game :(
For example, in the Cloud during "Automatic Love", if you don't ask the question about Evelyn's assault by a client (blue so it's "optional") because you directly ask "who is Tom", you completely miss evelyn's room, the video of the NCPD and the fact that Evy was hacked by someone.

And speaking of dialogues, in Cyberpunk, the system is very, very good. No option for leave the conversation, you just walk away. If you don't care about what someone say to you, you can leave "boring, bye !".
It's fun to listen them says "ok, I was believe we're talking !"
It's so hilarious with Saul :D

One small thing that have annoyed me a lot in CP from the moment I started playing it, is the way dialogs are presented and the use of different colors.

To me all dialogs should be presented in a single color or at least an option for turning it off should be added, also the responses should be completely randomized in what order they are presented to the player, from playthrough to playthrough, simply to make sure that the top ones are not always the yellow ones. To me, this really ruins the immersion and RP aspect of the game. When you know certain dialog options are "safe" words and sort of forces you into selecting all of these first, simply because they are blue rather than yellow.

I get that, the idea is so people won't miss information, but still I think in some cases, V should either be allowed to ask again, like a "I want to ask you something.." and you get a list of things you can ask about. At least until they are no longer relevant, like if the mission have moved past that point, or you already got the information some other way etc. Otherwise I think CDPR should simply make it so V miss out on those information.

To me, this small change would improve the replayability a lot, especially if they decide to add more branching stories down the line. Because you will never know which option is going to trigger something to be pushed forward or not, and what you might have missed out on. What might tick off some people you interact with. Like if you are trying to be a badass V or something and call people something nasty and what the consequence will be, if its blue you know nothing will happen.

And if the dialog option is yellow you know before choosing it, that the story will move on and you won't have the option to fire off all the blue ones afterwards.

At least, in my opinion, ill rather play the game with a chance to miss out on things, but having to carefully play my character and say the things I feel makes the most sense, rather than follow some predefined color scheme. To then pick up the game again later and play as another type of character, I think it is a huge mistake in the dialog system when it comes to immersion and replayability, so I really hope that CDPR will add such option and obviously more branching stories in the future. It would make the game so much more interesting by such a little addition. And I wished they had done it from the start.
I will start out by saying: it hasn't bothered me much. It was clear very quickly how this system would work and it is not a big issue.

That being said: I do like you suggestion in a Las Vegassy/FO3 sort of style where you have the ability to ask a series of questions in a more separate 'box' from the ones that will eventually push the narrative forward.
I did my first playthrough in a way where I didn't always chose a blue dialog if the short description didn't feel like it would fit. But I can see how one can be persuaded to just check off all blue dialogs and 'deplete' the box before continuing.
Having all dialogs being blue or yellow (so long as always equal) can be that tad more immersive because you'd less be hit on the nose with the structure of "this is side-information" and "this is required".

The blue options are not "safe", they often lead to interesting information as @LeKill3rFou mentioned. Some people hate to go through all possible dialogues so the blue color is a good solution for them. It could be good if the color change is an option, I prefer it as it is now.
But I think that is an issue when we are talking a RPG.

Its very difficult to explain, so will do it in some odd way, by referring to a video about Fallout 3, which have nothing to do with CP. :) But is in regards to whether or not Fallout 3 is good or bad. Now it might sound completely irrelevant, but if you listen through it and what this person explain about choices and consequences in a game such as Fallout 3 and relate that to CP, not only how the dialog options are not colored, giving you a "cheap" warning about things, but also it forces you as player to actually think about what you are doing.

Now this is not meant as a Fallout vs CP thing, that is completely irrelevant, but simply how choices and consequences impact your game experience. The issue in CP for 99% of the dialog, is that if its blue, you can just fire them off without any issues, you know nothing will happen except that you will get some information. (I don't expect you to watch all of it, but if you have time at least watch the first 20 minutes.)

To me, this way of handling dialogs makes a huge difference to a RPG.

But I think that is an issue when we are talking a RPG.

Its very difficult to explain, so will do it in some odd way, by referring to a video about Fallout 3, which have nothing to do with CP. :) But is in regards to whether or not Fallout 3 is good or bad. Now it might sound completely irrelevant, but if you listen through it and what this person explain about choices and consequences in a game such as Fallout 3 and relate that to CP, not only how the dialog options are not colored, giving you a "cheap" warning about things, but also it forces you as player to actually think about what you are doing.

Now this is not meant as a Fallout vs CP thing, that is completely irrelevant, but simply how choices and consequences impact your game experience. The issue in CP for 99% of the dialog, is that if its blue, you can just fire them off without any issues, you know nothing will happen except that you will get some information. (I don't expect you to watch all of it, but if you have time at least watch the first 20 minutes.)

To me, this way of handling dialogs makes a huge difference to a RPG.

the gold option moves the content forward, the blue options can actually give you different gold options in some circumstances.

The difference being its not that the blue options lead no where, its that the gold options end options.

this does give the player more information, but to be honest, having more information about what you are going to say isn't all bad, IRL you only say what you intend to say, but in a game, a preview that says "I'm unsure" can actually lead to you calling a dude a liar and starting a fight.
So it has strengths and weaknesses.

the gold option moves the content forward, the blue options can actually give you different gold options in some circumstances.

The difference being its not that the blue options lead no where, its that the gold options end options.

this does give the player more information, but to be honest, having more information about what you are going to say isn't all bad, IRL you only say what you intend to say, but in a game, a preview that says "I'm unsure" can actually lead to you calling a dude a liar and starting a fight.
So it has strengths and weaknesses.
Any game, where you have dialogs that doesn't really reflect what you are saying, have these issues. Like you saying "Sure.." and the character starts a huge dialog about all kinds of things.

I don't know if you saw the video I linked or at least some of it?

But what I really like in Fallout 3 as he explained, is that some of the things you can do, without ever getting a warning about it, is to basically blow up a whole city, killing the only person in the game, which have information about a character which lead to the main quest. But not only that, you also blow up player houses, quest givers, vendors etc. And you as a player will just have to work around it some other ways. To me, that is freaking awesome, that is what consequences of player actions should be. :D

To me, the mere fact that there are different colors, automatically make the whole conversation somewhat unnatural, you know you won't miss anything as long as you just stick to the blue ones.

Do you know of an example in CP, where you can't just fire off all the blue ones first? And where it will remove options so the outcome will be different? Because I personally don't remember any, but then again its some time since I played it, so it is based on memory.
I remember that there are some yellow ones, in certain cases where they have a timer, where it doesn't really matter whether you say something or not, the same will play out regardless. Like in the first mission, where the old lady opens the door and you can choose to wave her in, if you don't press anything she just goes in on her own anyway.

Do you know of an example in CP, where you can't just fire off all the blue ones first? And where it will remove options so the outcome will be different? Because I personally don't remember any, but then again its some time since I played it, so it is based on memory.
If you don't said a blue line, that remove "yellow" one ? or add "yellow" one ? I don't really see the goal (but, I know some dialogue lines where something change).

Edit : In fact, I'm thinking of something... the important thing is not really that the blue lines are optional ot not, it is especially that if there are blue lines and you choose a yellow first, it is finished, the blue ones will no longer be available.
Some example :
Important "blue" lines :
In the cloud as I said previously.

Blue lines who is better to not said:
In the scavs hideout, with unconscious Evy and Judy "who hired you for the heist !".

Yellow lines to say before others :
In the cars with River (all three lines are yellow), if you ask "why we don't go to Anthony Harris apartment first instead", the other lines of dialogue (about Randy and Randy's dad) are no more available. While you can ask for Randy and his father, the lines for Anthony are still available.

Yellow lines with time :
Sometimes it's better to answer, sometimes not.
Like with River, if you tell him that he doesn't have to keep telling his story with his parents, he stops and you will never know. here, it is better to be silent.

Last edited:
If you don't said a blue line, that remove "yellow" one ? or add "yellow" one ? I don't really see the goal (but, I know some dialogue lines where something change).

Edit : In fact, I'm thinking of something... the important thing is not really that the blue lines are optional ot not, it is especially that if there are blue lines and you choose a yellow first, it is finished, the blue ones will no longer be available.
What I mean is that you have a 4 options, two of them are yellow and 2 blue. As far as I remember the standard way, is that you can fire off all the blue ones. And eventually you are left with the 2 yellow ones that you know will advanced the story and then you choose between them. To me, this actually helps make the game more linear or at least ruin the idea of choice matters when you play, especially when you try to reload your game and chose the opposite yellow option, in most cases it end up the same. It have no major impact on the game for most things. Adding the blue options, simply make it worse, because it removes this illusion completely. Because you know already before hand that these options simply give you information. So combining the two, to me the dialog system is weaken by it, because players might actually prefer saying one of the yellows, but know that some information might be in one of the blue, so they better say that first. That is what I mean with the dialog being unnatural, at it would be a lot more interesting if you as a player, actually think about what you think is the best thing to say as V, rather than relying on a color.

And personally I think the dialog system should be able to handle that, so if the player doesn't get the information in that dialog, they might be able to get it some other way, exactly like Fallout does. So it could be from a computer, it could be from a note, it could be from some other NPC, or the NPC might mention it later, if the information is extremely relevant.

For me, I think its much more interesting as a player trying to figure things out and gather these information, rather than just being force fed them. Because honestly they could just as well have made it, so they only had the yellow options and all the other stuff was just automatically said. Because they basically only serve as options to draw out the conversation. But again, its not done in a way where it is interesting. Whereas if you as player think that one of the blue options are relevant, but doesn't know the difference between which are blue or yellow, you chose whatever option you did, because you were interested in knowing that and thought it was the best thing to say, not because it was a different color, but because it made most sense. So even if the scene continues, you might think what would have happened if I had said the other things? If there are added more branching stories in CP with real consequences, the whole dialog system will allow for several play throughs while still be interested, because you know that you have simply fired off 95% of them already and know that they are not interesting. Simply because you won't always know which options pushes the story forward.

Its not exactly interesting hearing or playing the Dexter, Evelyn story again, given that you know it doesn't matter what you say, because you already figured that out in your first play through. And that is the huge issue as I see it with how the dialog is now, they don't leave anything for the player to wonder about or to explore in the next play through, and I just think its sad, because the game would be so much more interesting.

I tried to play a bit of CP today, and I was not very interested in the story at all, I know where it is going and that it doesn't really matter. I can skip all the blue ones, because they are not important, the illusion of choice matters in the second play through is simply not there.

I can skip all the blue ones, because they are not important, the illusion of choice matters in the second play through is simply not there.
Like I said, sometimes they are... (like in the Clouds).
But I don't agree and I thin kthe game is in priority for the "new" players. In fallout, I know in advance what I'll said, but it's simply because I already know the story, that's all... And it has nothing to do with the dialogues :)
The lak of choice, that's not the same problem and it has also nothing to do with dialogue lines, even less with the color of those ones...
But anyway, matters of tastes/opinion. It seem to me, the dialogue line colors are important, you not, no need to argue more ;)

Top Bottom