How to increase buffer size in breach protocol?

+
I'm going nuts here lol. I can't find a straight answer. How do I increase the buffer size in breach protocol? I'm stuck on 7 even if I have a Tetratronic Rippler MK.4 Legenday with buffer size 8 equiped. Am I missing something? is it a bug? I've read some people say you increase the buffer size by unlocking perks and some other people say it solely depends on the operating system's buffer size.

If I need to unlock breach protocol perks, which one do I need because I can't seem to find a single one that mentions that it increases buffer size for breach protocol?

I'm playing on PS5, version 1.23.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210715_172219.jpg
    20210715_172219.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 752
  • 20210715_172137.jpg
    20210715_172137.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 763
From what I understand buffer size is solely on the cyberdeck (OS), though there are perks that help with its operation in Breach Protocol. The Compression perk (Intelligence / Breach Protocol tree) can be used to reduce the length of the sequences during breach minigames which makes the limit of your buffer size go further I think.

The legendary Rippler mk. 4 should indeed have 8 buffer size, but I've seen other people report only getting 7 too, even on other cyberdecks, so probably a bug or hidden skill/stat check?

You can increase it by CyberDeck obviously but also by Breach Protocol Skill. the level 19 add one buffer unit ;)
But yeah, "Compression" and "Quick Start" perks are very, very useful :)
For me Rippler mk4 (the best for me > upload time decreased by 75%...) and level 19 in breach, I complete easily all the breach protocol with my 9 buffer units :)

But it's weird you only have 7 units... You can try to remove your Rippler (by installing the base one, the Paraline) and reinstall the Rippler.

Last edited:
From what I understand buffer size is solely on the cyberdeck (OS), though there are perks that help with its operation in Breach Protocol. The Compression perk (Intelligence / Breach Protocol tree) can be used to reduce the length of the sequences during breach minigames which makes the limit of your buffer size go further I think.

The legendary Rippler mk. 4 should indeed have 8 buffer size, but I've seen other people report only getting 7 too, even on other cyberdecks, so probably a bug or hidden skill/stat check?
Yeah, most likely a bug, can't seem to shake it off tho, I even tried reinstalling the game as a last resort; there's probably something wrong with my save file? who knows lol. I sent an email to CDPR support, hopefully they have some useful advise.

Thanks for your reply.
Post automatically merged:

You can increase it by CyberDeck obviously but also by Breach Protocol Skill. the level 19 add one buffer unit ;)
But yeah, "Compression" and "Quick Start" perks are very, very useful :)
For me Rippler mk4 (the best for me > upload time decreased by 75%...) and level 19 in breach, I complete easily all the breach protocol with my 9 buffer units :)

But it's weird you only have 7 units... You can try to remove your Rippler (by installing the base one, the Paraline) and reinstall the Rippler.
Thanks for your input. I tried unequipping and re-equipping, tried replacing it with new different cyberdecks with the same buffer size, and they all max out at 7 units. I already spoke with a couple of friends and they don't seem to have this issue, even with the same cyberdeck, so I'm not sure what's going on, maybe my save file is bugged on that regard. :(

Thanks for your input. I tried unequipping and re-equipping, tried replacing it with new different cyberdecks with the same buffer size, and they all max out at 7 units. I already spoke with a couple of friends and they don't seem to have this issue, even with the same cyberdeck, so I'm not sure what's going on, maybe my save file is bugged on that regard.
Ok, sad if it's the save file :(
I hope a quick response from CDPR :)

(just to know, it's a "fresh" 1.23 save or an older load on 1.23?)

Datamine: Copy Malware indicates you are trying to breach some story/quest related thing like the Militech cred chip or Sanda's datashard or a terminal that a fixer instructed you to upload malware to as part of a gig. These instances are usually not affected by the buffer size of your cyberdeck or additional buffer/reduced sequence length from breach protocol perks. The sequence is usually not randomly generated either.

With Sandra's datashard for example, the solution is the same every time, even across multiple playthroughs. No matter what deck you have or how far you have ranked up breach protocol, you will always have 7 buffers. Sequence length reduction perks do not apply. It is not possible to upload all 5 daemons to Sandra's datashard, regardless of what deck or breach protocol level + perks you have.

This kinda makes sense because they do not want to randomly generate a sequence that can only be done if you have 19 intelligence and a top tier deck since doing so will halt quest progression for some players.

For non story specific stuff, buffer size = 8 is the maximum you can get from your cyberdeck. All of these decks cost 40 to 50 street cred (Raven Microcyber MK4, Tetratronic Rippler MK4, Netwatch Netdriver MK5, Stephenson Tech MK4 and Arasaka MK4). You can get an additional +1 buffer for ranking up breach protocol to 19 (iirc). There are additionally 2 breach protocol perks that affect sequence length - "Head Start" and "Compression". Head Start auto completes the first sequence and Compression reduces all sequence lengths by 1, making it easier to get 3x, 4x and 5x datamines on randomly generated sequences.

Last edited:
Datamine: Copy Malware indicates you are trying to breach some story/quest related thing like the Militech cred chip or Sanda's datashard or a terminal that a fixer instructed you to upload malware to as part of a gig. These instances are usually not affected by the buffer size of your cyberdeck or additional buffer/reduced sequence length from breach protocol perks. The sequence is usually not randomly generated either.

With Sandra's datashard for example, the solution is the same every time, even across multiple playthroughs. No matter what deck you have or how far you have ranked up breach protocol, you will always have 7 buffers. Sequence length reduction perks do not apply. It is not possible to upload all 5 daemons to Sandra's datashard, regardless of what deck or breach protocol level + perks you have.

This kinda makes sense because they do not want to randomly generate a sequence that can only be done if you have 19 intelligence and a top tier deck since doing so will halt quest progression for some players.
Good to know for buffer size on those shards. I never paid attention to that (for Militeck because I never have the Rippler at this stage and Sandra because I always have those perks, so it's very easy).
So on breach protocol on enemies, he could have his 8 buffer units as normal I think :)

I've been having similar trouble, i'm trying to get the Christmas Tree Attack achievement and for me it shows in total 10 variables, but I only have 8 buffer slots, how tf am i supposed to complete.

4e36b1b5-0d5b-4e66-b849-732f195342ee.jpg

I've been having similar trouble, i'm trying to get the Christmas Tree Attack achievement and for me it shows in total 10 variables, but I only have 8 buffer slots, how tf am i supposed to complete.

View attachment 11352319
Maybe choose/go in the low level areas (like Watson) to reduce the size of sequences. At least to get the shortest sequences possible.
Then if possible, invest in INT (breach protocol) perks like :
- Compression > Reduces the lengths of the sequences required to upload daemons by 1. Cannot be reduced below 2.
- Head start > Automatically uploads the first daemon in the list at the start of Breach Protocol.

And if you can't unlock these perks (INT attribute too low), you will have to count on "luck".
So again, low level area (Watson), find some enemies on who you are able to upload three deamons (preferably maelstromers, tygers have higher QH resistances and often longer sequences), from far enough to avoid being detected (when they will be alerted) and open the breach protocol on one of them. If you can't upload three deamons, close the breach protocol (they will be alerted but it doesn't matter as long as you're far enough) and open it again. And repet until you manage to upload three deamons... (Sequences are reseted each time).

Edit :
And don't forget to look if sequence can be "combined" (finishing one and starting another with the same "number").
Simple example :
7A BD FF 55
FF 55 1C
55 1C BD
You can complete all by "simply" doing that > 7A BD FF 55 1C BD

Last edited:
When you have some epic quickhacks which can be uploaded too, you get 5 or more. You will always have to choose which ones you want then. The point of this minigame is not to upload all of them, but to have options. When you have some perks for quickhacks, you probably don't need the -1 RAM anymore.

Top Bottom