Real world sources for inspiration

+
Real world sources for inspiration

Hey guys! I was doing some digging and found that the United States Department of National Intelligence recently released a very interesting intelligence report on what our real world future might be like. I encourage you all to read this with me and draw on it for inspiration as to what a fictional future like Cyberpunk 77 might take from it.

http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/GlobalTrends_2030.pdf

I do want to highlight that many of the scenarios discussed here are already ones we consider part of Cyberpunk 77's reality, and we're way ahead of the curve, but I think the real world gravity of the discussion in this report could help flesh out our thinking about a complete, real fictional world.

I will continue my research and post more sources and highlights here, and I encourage you all to post thoughts on what's in them.

That's an interesting script you digged up there, but I don't see why or how CDPR should tak all too much from this.

The rule books and world of the PnP are rich enough, apparently.

Oh I agree that the rule books are rich with ideas, but here's a little gem I discovered for example, that could be great for storytelling:

Solar Geomagnetic Storms:
"solar geomagnetic storms could knock out satellites, the electric grid, and many sensitive
electronic devices. the recurrence intervals of crippling solar geomagnetic storms, which are less
than a century, now pose a substantial threat because of the world’s dependence on electricity."

What a crazy plot event that would be! Without reading this document I never would have considered a highly disruptive, world changing solar event to be something an intelligence agency expresses global stability concerns over. If sifted carefully these documents are solid gold for fiction writing.

DNI puts this out and updates it every year with some years further out and some years further in.

It does show how much attention is being paid to how the US is pursuing its defense acquisitions and (sometimes) its pursuit of international policy in International Organizations and in Bi-Lateral interactions.

I will underline the sections on aging if you live in a post-industrialized society. I will also underline the sections on Food and Water pressures, nations with a large agricultural output are affecting policy by how they do things whether they realize it or not. The US was the target of a nasty letter writing campaign by the World Food Organization after we converted a large amount of our Corn production into Bio-Diesel.

Dekkarius: This link is gold for Cyberpunk fiction writing! Even if Cyberpunk 2077 can't use much of this information I think I'm going to print this off for myself. Brilliant find!

Thanks, Rev! I'm glad you can make use of it.

Here's an interesting line to emphasize than even current-world major powers are admitting:

"Technology will continue to be the great leveler. The future Internet “moguls”—as with today’s Google or Facebook—sit on mountains of data and have more real-time information at their fingertips than most governments. As these mountains of data are used to improve knowledge of human motivations, non state actors such as private companies will be able to influence behavior on as large a scale as state actors."

It's the technology, the thing that sits at the heart of cyberpunk, that will give individuals, corporations and small groups the power of nations. A good cyberpunk world should be full of these actors, I think. Some should be very obviously important, but others could be seemingly minor yet have tremendous hidden capacity, to emphasize the leverage of technology.

"Technology will continue to be the great leveler. The future Internet “moguls”—as with today’s Google or Facebook—sit on mountains of data and have more real-time information at their fingertips than most governments. As these mountains of data are used to improve knowledge of human motivations, non state actors such as private companies will be able to influence behavior on as large a scale as state actors."

It's only a matter of time before that much power leads to deep set 1984 tier corruption. If we are not already there.

Hey guys! I was doing some digging and found that the United States Department of National Intelligence recently released a very interesting intelligence report on what our real world future might be like. I encourage you all to read this with me and draw on it for inspiration as to what a fictional future like Cyberpunk 77 might take from it.

http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/GlobalTrends_2030.pdf

I do want to highlight that many of the scenarios discussed here are already ones we consider part of Cyberpunk 77's reality, and we're way ahead of the curve, but I think the real world gravity of the discussion in this report could help flesh out our thinking about a complete, real fictional world.

I will continue my research and post more sources and highlights here, and I encourage you all to post thoughts on what's in them.

coolest topic i've seen so far. Going to check the pdf, you may dig some RL examples at the bottom of the pages
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CyberPunk
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PostCyberpunk

Top Bottom