Cyberpunk Fried my card

+
My card Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb has been fried by this game. Was getting spikes of over 90c. Last night I was playing the game and the system shut off and now its dead :(. Other games I play wouldn't go past around 70c. I.e Resident evil village and other new games.

Weird, my PC has Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb, all settings Ultra or High, the general settings of Nvidia are set to quality, never had problems.

I'm sorry to hear this but...the OP hasn't given any real information other then blaming the game and temperature. What are system specs? Could be a possible fan failure or even something as simple as the system needed cleaning, a GPU attracts dust and can prevent it from cooling, any number of things. Can the power supply handle the current draw?

The OP indicates the system is dead, maybe unplug the power supply for a minute or so and plug it back in, most power supply's have built in protection for power spikes, and even overheating, might just need to be reset. Just throwing things out there, regardless I hope the problem can be resolved.

Last time I had to replace a power supply it was because the air intake (on the bottom of my Goddaughter's PC ) was blocked by shaggy carpet.

After installing a new one I put the PC up on top of a wood base with groves cut into it to allow extra "breathing". I installed an extra fan on the SIDE of the case that sucks air into the case.

AND then I put a TEMP alarm on her PC to shut down the PC if a TEMP reaches 90c.

Seriously what a stupid place to put the air intake, on the bottom of a desktop case for God sake...

Last time I had to replace a power supply it was because the air intake (on the bottom of my Goddaughter's PC ) was blocked by shaggy carpet.

After installing a new one I put the PC up on top of a wood base with groves cut into it to allow extra "breathing". I installed an extra fan on the SIDE of the case that sucks air into the case.

AND then I put a TEMP alarm on her PC to shut down the PC if a TEMP reaches 90c.

Seriously what a stupid place to put the air intake, on the bottom of a desktop case for God sake...
I have seen this before. Along with that are things like cleaning the filters on the case. There are many folks out there that don't know basic maintenance for PC,s and I dare say laptops. To add to that, right now in the Pacific Northwest (USA) where I live we are having a serious heat wave. I have a window AC unit going and even so, I had to open the side panel to let in some cool air for the system to maintain tempratures inside the case and system. One other thing that many don't think about are those pretty little LED's in many system making the system look 'cool'. Heh, pun intended, but those pretty lights are adding heat to the inside of the case too, more then one would think. If your having temp issues and in a hot environment right now, turn those LED's off, you might be surprised.

The system isn't dead it is the gfx card as tried on another system, The fans in the gpu still spin, fans and heat sync cleaned applied new thermal paste to the gpu last week for this reason of the temp spikes on the card. Processor is a Ryzen 7 with liquid cooling and average temp 50c under game load 32gb corsair ram. 750w psu. Asus B350b motherboard all spotless. Put my friends graphics card in my pc and works fine. Maybe it was on its way out and running this game was the final straw maybe. Also I live in England so heat is definitely not a problem lol.

Last edited:
Defo the gfx card as tried on another system, fans and heat sync cleaned applied new thermal paste to the gpu last week for this reason of the temp spikes on the card. Processor is a Ryzen 7 with liquid cooling and average temp 50c under game load 32gb corsair ram. 750w psu. Asus B350b motherboard all spotless. Out my friends graphics card in my pc and works fine. Maybe it was on its way out and running this game was the final straw maybe.
I'd imagine so. A game can't force a graphics card to overheat and burn itself out. The graphics card (and its drivers) are supposed to prevent it from doing that.

I've had two graphics cards melt on me in the past. Most recently, my 1060 melted in the middle of Monkey Island 2 on an emulator (a game from 1991). :)

It is just that it was the only game that caused the gpu to spike to 90c compared to other 3d games I play. Serious Legendary Overheat quickhack from those damn cyberpsychos lol

Its a pretty gfx intense game so im not suprised. Seen it draw more power then any other game i have when i dont oc my card. with 123% power slider my card can draw 480w and it does pretty often without a Oc on the card. most games dont even with gpu boost hitting the same clockspeeds as this game does so.. something is odd id say. guessing its the heavy rtx/dlss for me that does it but dunno

The system isn't dead it is the gfx card as tried on another system, The fans in the gpu still spin, fans and heat sync cleaned applied new thermal paste to the gpu last week for this reason of the temp spikes on the card. Processor is a Ryzen 7 with liquid cooling and average temp 50c under game load 32gb corsair ram. 750w psu. Asus B350b motherboard all spotless. Put my friends graphics card in my pc and works fine. Maybe it was on its way out and running this game was the final straw maybe. Also I live in England so heat is definitely not a problem lol.
Glad you figured it out. I hope you find a replacement that will work for you for now, buying new is iffy at best especially at today's prices. As for your temperature, we'd be happy to send you some of this wonderful furnace like weather, average this week at 100 F - 105 (38-39C) along with the smoke from all the forest fires. Last week we had an average of 105-110 F, no rain. I fear we have lost much of our wheat crops this year.

Good luck with your GPU.

OK well after days of tedious process eliminations it looks like it was the PSU had finally gave up the ghost, but I ended up getting a new graphics card and processor Nvidia RTX 2060 Machine happy again now.
20210718_151534.jpg

Last edited:
Your PSU seems to be mounted upside down. It's important that the fan is facing downwards, otherwise it won't get cool air from the outside of the chassis.
If that's it in the lower left (the LEDs are a bit confusing), it may be like mine, which faces upwards, and draws air from a base-vent on the back of the tower.

DC9V

Forum veteran
If that's it in the lower left (the LEDs are a bit confusing), it may be like mine, which faces upwards, and draws air from a base-vent on the back of the tower.
Really? As far as I know, the fan on PSUs is usually an intake-fan, so the air is getting exhausted on the back of the tower. Some people argue that putting the fan upwards adds a second exhaust fan to the whole system, which imo isn't effective because heated air moves upwards, so it's better to keep the PSU as cool as possible instead.

Some people argue that putting the fan upwards adds a second exhaust fan to the whole system, which imo isn't effective because heated air moves upwards anyway, so it's better to keep the PSU as cool as possible instead.
It's worked so far for me, with no issues since the machine was built, six years ago, by a fellow gamer. However, I suppose there could be drawbacks, depending on the unit, and the amount of heat generated.

Some people argue that putting the fan upwards adds a second exhaust fan to the whole system, which imo isn't effective because heated air moves upwards, so it's better to keep the PSU as cool as possible instead.
I think the whole heat rising bit gets overstated. I don't have a PHD in physics, and yes heat rises, but as far as I know it tends to go where your fans direct it. Given this the focus should be on how fans are setup to drive the airfllow. Not on the tendency of heat to naturally rise.

Something like top exhaust fans is a good example where that consideration can come into play. One might think adding more fans would be more better. Even though in reality, fun fact, it's not always true. One might also think "heat rises" means top exhausts make sense. Having those up there can cause the air coming in a front intake to immediately go out the top. Instead of passing over components, sucking up heat from them then exiting the case. So it can be counter-productive.

On a more general note... Barring very high ambient temperature I'd think a part spiking up to 90C on a consistent basis with a game indicates the cooling setup could use some attention. Either it's time for a proper cleaning, upgrades to the cooling setup, improvements to the efficiency of the cooling setup or, the most exciting adventure of the bunch, using power tools to "fix" the inadequacies of the case.

Something like top exhaust fans is a good example where that consideration can come into play. One might think adding more fans would be more better. Even though in reality, fun fact, it's not always true.
True, there are cases where misplaced fans can cause issues. Looking at @mancslad 's picture again, I do wonder if there's sufficient, or any, ventilation atop the tower, (especially with all those lights generating additional heat, no doubt). My main exhaust fan is located at the top, and seems to keep things cool enough.

On a more general note... Barring very high ambient temperature I'd think a part spiking up to 90C on a consistent basis with a game indicates the cooling setup could use some attention. Either it's time for a proper cleaning, upgrades to the cooling setup, improvements to the efficiency of the cooling setup or, the most exciting adventure of the bunch, using power tools to "fix" the inadequacies of the case.
Hehe dont say that, my 3090s memory often gets close too 90c when im gaming. even with watercooling block on and a proper backplate. Stuff keeps getting faster and faster and the cooling really cant keep up on some stuff -.- Gonna get me a waterblock for the backplate too when they become availeble. But your generaly right. Sadly alot of problems with crashes/lockups can be traced too overheating/OC/power draw

True, there are cases where misplaced fans can cause issues. Looking at @mancslad 's picture again, I do wonder if there's sufficient, or any, ventilation atop the tower, (especially with all those lights generating additional heat, no doubt).
It's hard to tell from that picture. I don't see any rear exhaust fans so either they're on top or there aren't any. I believe the importance of exhausts would depend on the type of fans used as intakes. Shove enough air in the case and it's going to get out somehow :).
My main exhaust fan is located at the top, and seems to keep things cool enough.
Yeah you can use top exhaust fans. It depends on the case/setup really. I was just saying sometimes adding extra fans can hinder cooling ability. It effectively boils down to heat transfer, or energy transfer, from A to B. Like a fridge, AC, whatever. If the cooler external air flowing over components isn't in contact with them it's not going to be particularly efficient. Air isn't exactly a good conductor of... anything.

My own setup is pretty simple. 3 front intakes and a single rear intake. My case also lets me close off the top. Extra PCI covers are removed to let the GPU breath a little better. Ideally I'd close off anything not acting as a direct opening for the fans in front with tape or something but I'm lazy.

I suppose that'd be the secondary point. You can get surprising mileage out of taking some time and a very small amount of money to optimize what is there. In many cases it's all pretty simple too.
Hehe dont say that, my 3090s memory often gets close too 90c when im gaming. even with watercooling block on and a proper backplate. Stuff keeps getting faster and faster and the cooling really cant keep up on some stuff -.- Gonna get me a waterblock for the backplate too when they become availeble. But your generaly right. Sadly alot of problems with crashes/lockups can be traced too overheating/OC/power draw
Well, it depends on the temp probe being referenced. The card might be showing 90C in monitoring but other individual parts in it could be a lot hotter. Such as the GPU memory. And yes, it obviously depends on the card, how it's setup and the cooling solution.

All of that aside. Overall and as a general rule I'd rate 90C on a GPU, even if it's just spikes, as a little excessive. There is no doubt the part can technically handle anything below it's max temp but there is some question as to what is acceptable below that. I wouldn't consider 90C acceptable myself. Everything may have an expiration date but more heat stands to make you reach it sooner.

Also more heat will make the clockspeeds go down. Cooler is allways better for gpu/cpus. The more heat you can dissapate the better your hardware can run. I have 6 fans as intake(side+bottom)/4 outtake(back/top) with 3 360 radiators watercooled everything basicly, and still i see 70c on cpu and around 50-60c on gpu during longer gaming. memory junction is the only temp that even gets close too 90 tho and that can apperantly take 110c before it starts too cause trouble.

This game is a bit weird when it comes too power draw and stuff too. it loads up my max watt even without a OC (think it has too do with the heavy RTX/DLSS usage) Using more watt too run the tensor cores and so on probably is what is happening. Also noticed thx too the power usage that i crash ALOt with even a small and stable in every other game OC on my gfx card.

Top Bottom