Movies / TV Shows!

+
For those of you saying "I don't like the style of that" re: Nightmare of the Wolf, I would honestly give it a chance anyway. I thought the EXACT same thing before I watched Dota Dragon's Blood (American production using the same South Korean animation studio), because I generally think anime is a bit naff, but I was shocked at just how fantastic the story, dialogue, and action was. I was NOT expecting it to be so good. Like, better than GOT good.

American anime seems to be having a bit of a renaissance right now. Avatar, Legend of Korra, Castlevania, Dota Dragon's Blood... That being said Nightmare of the Wolf might still end up shit, but if there's one thing I've learned over the course of this pandemic, as a fully grown adult, is that some of the BEST shows on television right now are animated.

Anyway, as a frame of reference for what my taste actually is, here's a sample. I highly recommend:

TV SHOWS:
Genre of its own:

Thriller:

Drama:

Comedy/Light:

Fantasy:
The OA
(best tv show ever. EVER)
Killing Eve
Ozark
Queen's Gambit
When They See Us
Unbelievable
Chernobyl
Atypical
Love
Big Mouth
The Witcher
Dota Dragon's Blood
Castlevania (the final season is worth it)

MOVIES:
Drama/IndieFeel Good:Sci-Fi:Epic Adventure:
The Fountain by Aronofsky
Beast by Michael Pearce
If Beale St Could Talk
Place Beyond the Pines
Silver Linings Playbook
Let it Snow (trust me)
Arrival
Interstellar
Blade Runner 2049
Dredd
LOTR
Avengers IW/Endgame

Films on my radar:
Green Knight.jpg

minari.jpg

dune.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you saying "I don't like the style of that" re: Nightmare of the Wolf, I would honestly give it a chance anyway. I thought the EXACT same thing before I watched Dota Dragon's Blood (American production using the same South Korean animation studio), because I generally think anime is a bit naff, but I was shocked at just how fantastic the story, dialogue, and action was. I was NOT expecting it to be so good. Like, better than GOT good.
I am personally impressed by what I've seen of the anime. I don't specifically like or dislike anime. Most of the anime I've seen has been either ridiculous and silly, or exaggerated and melodramatic to an extreme, for my tastes. And yet, some of my all-time favorite pieces of cinema are anime: like almost everything by Hayao Miyazaki, Ghost in the Shell, and Death Note (...although I'm ready to throw Misa Misa out the window every time she speaks. Love the character...cannot stand the voicework.)

I'd love to dive in for about 2000 words on what I think based on the trailer, but it's too much speculation for me. For now, I'll leave it at saying:

I'm seeing a whole bunch of things I really appreciate. I'm seeing a less-is-more approach. I'm seeing some subtly striking design -- especially where monsters are concerned. I'm loving the voicework. The dialogue appears to be a "young adult" flavor, but I'm not put off by it. And I truly appreciate what we're seeing of a "young Vesemir". I think the whole point is to show that Vesemir did not start out as the wizened and grandfatherly figure we know him to be. That wisdom was added, layer by layer, beginning when he was an impetuous youth, like Ciri, evolving through stages of missteps and failures until humility began to transform into true confidence, and then learning to live through the real tragedies life will throw at you until a place of balance is achieved.

Now, I certainly hope it's not simply a "To be continued..." venture. I hope this story arc was designed with a conclusion in mind. Frankly, I'd like to see the final episode arrive at a point where Vesemir first evolves into the persona of the aged character we all know and love. (Really get some tears out of people in TW3, then!)

I've done stage and film for over 30 years. I watched the theatrical trailer debut interview with Stephen Colbert.

Occasionally, a cast begins to gel with a sort of personal connection to each other that no amount of rehersal or direction or editing can create. They're just living and breathing each other's air, in the same world...even though the world doesn't actually exist. This is the energy I'm getting from them. There's no posturing or posing, no attempt to "paint" things a certain way, and no sense of competition or contention with each other -- no one -- from the beginning of the interview to the end.

They had a blast making this film.

That's going to resonate in the final release. I'm going to put myself on the line and predict that this is going to be an absolute smash-hit. (Plus, on a personal note, someone finally seemed to get the visualization and aesthetic of the world and characters right, in my opinion. Dune is my all-time favorite sci-fi novel, and everything I'm seeing of this film has utterly nailed it to the bloody wall-of-fame.)

EDIT: Oh -- here's the interview, for anyone that hasn't seen it:

Last edited:
I am personally impressed by what I've seen of the anime. I don't specifically like or dislike anime. Most of the anime I've seen has been either ridiculous and silly, or exaggerated and melodramatic to an extreme, for my tastes. And yet, some of my all-time favorite pieces of cinema are anime: like almost everything by Hayao Miyazaki, Ghost in the Shell, and Death Note (...although I'm ready to throw Misa Misa out the window every time she speaks. Love the character...cannot stand the voicework.)

I think it's worth noting those shows I mentioned are English language productions; they're a whole other animal to Japanese anime. But I totally get where you're coming from and it's exactly why I was sceptical before watching any of them. I just hadn't realised stuff like that was being produced in the West.

I think one thing that does make me cautious about Nightmare of the Wolf is the fact I don't know much about the writer beyond the fact he's written an episode of the live-action show.... I guess we'll just have to see!

I've done stage and film for over 30 years. I watched the theatrical trailer debut interview with Stephen Colbert.

Occasionally, a cast begins to gel with a sort of personal connection to each other that no amount of rehersal or direction or editing can create. They're just living and breathing each other's air, in the same world...even though the world doesn't actually exist. This is the energy I'm getting from them. There's no posturing or posing, no attempt to "paint" things a certain way, and no sense of competition or contention with each other -- no one -- from the beginning of the interview to the end.

There is nothing better than when a cast is like that. NOTHING. When you're in that environment, magic happens. No one feels hindered, no one is fearful of being judged. And that makes everyone more playful, reactive, natural. Nothing kills creativity more than when you have cast members who are shitty or mean or destructively critical of others; it just creates censors inside people.

When I was in drama school it was astonishing how many actors (and sometimes directors) just didn't get that. The ones that did were the best people to work with. Glad to see Dune's cast carrying a positive vibe :)

Last edited:
Dune feels like it lacks a vision, just looks bland in a way, like they didn't even try to imagine how something might look 10000 years into the future. But at the same time it feels like it's quality storytelling. It feels like a lot of thinking and passion went into it.

I watched Kringle Time last night. It is a movie written by a very good friend of mine. It's both very funny and a sincere look at processing when beloved icons turn out to have very problematic aspects.

Last edited:
:disapprove:

I literally can't even see that as Witcher related because the style is SO out of place. It just looks like some cartoon characters who happen to have yellow eyes and two swords, and I still am reminded of kids' cartoons.

Surprise pick up: Twin Peaks box set. Didn't even know it existed. It has the original series that I haven't seen since those days (a lot is kinda hazy...hmm...), plus the revival season from a few years ago which I have not seen at all. Score!

Gonna binge it on the weekend with a couple of boxes of Cherry Ripe ice creams (never been a fan of cherry pie).

Last edited:
:disapprove:

I literally can't even see that as Witcher related because the style is SO out of place. It just looks like some cartoon characters who happen to have yellow eyes and two swords, and I still am reminded of kids' cartoons.
Personally, I can't bring myself to watch anime unless it's erotic

The current TV show I am watching now in ranking from best to worst. Current as in they are currently airing

The good fight (honestly 1 of the smartest funniest show on TV now)
Godfather of harlem (You would like this if you like boardwalk empire or forest whitaker)
Ted Lasso (I don't usually like comedies but this is good)
Good trouble (Spin off of the fosters which I enjoyed)
Animal kingdom (You would enjoy if you like sons of anarchy)
Evil (Not a horror fan but still I like this)
The Walking dead (yes many bad seasons in between but this final season looks good, at least the first episode did)
Modern love season 2 (some episodes are heartwarming and funny)

I just started
Truth be told season 2
9 perfect strangers

For off-season shows, I am eagerly waiting for

Ozark
Better call Saul
Stranger things

Honestly there are so many different streamers now it's hard for a TV show even if its good to gain big support.

The current TV show I am watching now in ranking from best to worst. Current as in they are currently airing

The good fight (honestly 1 of the smartest funniest show on TV now)
Godfather of harlem (You would like this if you like boardwalk empire or forest whitaker)
Ted Lasso (I don't usually like comedies but this is good)
Good trouble (Spin off of the fosters which I enjoyed)
Animal kingdom (You would enjoy if you like sons of anarchy)
Evil (Not a horror fan but still I like this)
The Walking dead (yes many bad seasons in between but this final season looks good, at least the first episode did)
Modern love season 2 (some episodes are heartwarming and funny)

I just started
Truth be told season 2
9 perfect strangers

For off-season shows, I am eagerly waiting for

Ozark
Better call Saul
Stranger things

Honestly there are so many different streamers now it's hard for a TV show even if its good to gain big support.
The last episode of TWD has been the best in a long time IMO. The Negan storyline is finally getting addressed properly.

Top Bottom